Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ciaran cannon, one of the very few visible cycling advocates in the dail, has received a substantial injury while on the bike.

https://twitter.com/ciarancannon/status/1411406714205880320

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

note; dermot lacey denies saying this.
    also note; aodhan o'riordan admitted on twitter during the week he had dermot lacey blocked. ivana bacik seems to be a keen cyclist so hopefully this is just a councillor putting words in her mouth.

https://twitter.com/carolynmoore_ie/status/1411303113772969984

Also, as regards Ivana Bacik being tagged into Mary Freehill's campaign to legalise footpath parking:
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1411326102434365442

Basically, "I'm a tiny bit in favour of turning a blind eye to nebulous instances of it"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ciaran cannon, one of the very few visible cycling advocates in the dail, has received a substantial injury while on the bike.
    just looking at his strava feed there, he was a more active cyclist than i had realised - he did mizen to malin in under 24 hours, only two weeks ago and a couple of years back did ventoux three times in a row.

• Advertisement

the vaccination centre in the helix in DCU is moving to the national show centre out beside the airport in a week or two. i know DCU wanted their campus back, but the NSC is a *poor* substitute in terms of access.
    the helix is walkable for thousands of people, the NCS is walkable for very few; and to get to the NCS on a bike you've to cycle one of the worst cycle lanes in dublin, unless you're confident enough to take the bus lane.
    the helix is also accessible on about ten bus routes (4, 9, 11, 13, 44, 104, 126, 220, 155), at least three of which terminate literally outside. and there are more easily walkable bus routes - the 1 and 17A spring to mind.
    the NSC is served by the 33, 41 and 102, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

If people can't find alternative arrangements or even pay 30 odd quid for a taxi to a free vaccine to end a pandemic I give up

i think that's kinda beside the point?

Wouldn't have thought so. I think a bit of perspective is needed in all the whinging. A year ago when we had no idea if there even could be a vaccine, I'd have crawled on my hands and knees to Donegal if I thought I'd get one for me and my family. Now we have people giving out because one of the mass vaccination centres isn't located absolutely ideally for public transport.

whinging?

you're arguing that because this is an important thing, ease of access shouldn't matter.
    i'm arguing that because this is an important thing, ease of access *should* matter. if it's important, make it easy for people to get to.
    it's not a test of how seriously people take it.

• Advertisement

whinging?

you're arguing that because this is an important thing, ease of access shouldn't matter.
    i'm arguing that because this is an important thing, ease of access *should* matter. if it's important, make it easy for people to get to.
    it's not a test of how seriously people take it.

Do you think whoever procures the sites had "mildly inconvenient to get to" as a requirement? It's in Dublin, it's a small city, nowhere is that difficult to get to.

We have it a lot better than others, our society is somewhat reopened & we're getting free vaccines. There's parts of the world that have to depend on this: https://www.unicef.ie/donate/get-a-vaccine-give-a-vaccine/#1

again, it's not a competition?
    there are significant numbers of people who don't own a car in dublin.
    'other people have it worse' is a total non-argument.

this is a weird conversation.

this one? you are correct, it's not beside the point, the point is many km from swords.

Yeah, it's so far from ideal to have in a city a vaccination centre that's hard to get to for people who don't have access to a car. Since you want as many people as possible to be vaccinated, having a fairly large barrier like that creates a risk of reducing the numbers of weakly motivated individuals getting vaccinated. As does imposing a cost of several dozen euro on them.

Might be unavoidable when you're putting things together in a hurry, but we know authorities here have a very strong tendency to treat people who don't drive, incorrectly, as negligible in numbers, and quite often as inherently not all that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

this one? you are correct, it's not beside the point, the point is many km from swords.

There was one center in a hotel somewhere (limerick? Athlone?) where there was an hourly bus that would leave you on the opposite side of a dual carriageway with effectively 2*500m walk via a crossing.

I suspect *a* site is better than no site. That swords bike path is terrible though.

I liked my cycle to Citywest, i suspect i "made up" 20 minutes of car queuing.

Do you think whoever procures the sites had "mildly inconvenient to get to" as a requirement? It's in Dublin, it's a small city, nowhere is that difficult to get to.

A three-hour round trip, which is common enough on public transport for some of the destinations to which peope have been sent, isn't mildly inconvenient. It's not an insuperable barrier, but it's not a mild inconvenience.

Again, putting things together quickly in an emergency may make situations like this unavoidable, but there's been an assumption since early in the emergency that everyone has access to a car, which is not at all true in Dublin, at least.

i think that was the radisson blu in limerick, wasn't it? it's about 5 or 6km from limerick centre out the ennis road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Not so sure this girl was too delighted with her new Local Legend accolade......

557635.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone ever put a bike underneath on a Dublin Coach? Any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Not so sure this girl was too delighted with her new Local Legend accolade......

557635.jpg

:pac:

Something makes me think "Karen" is a guy.........:P

• Advertisement

I suspect this is a segment in Gormanston???? The Cock is actually a pub, always felt they missed a trick calling it a tavern and not an inn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone ever put a bike underneath on a Dublin Coach? Any hassle?

Never on a Dublin coach but I have on Bus Eireann and no hassle at all. We put two of them in there.

Theres usually a pillar/ support of sorts in there you could use to secure the bike to and keep it from moving around with a bungie or even your lock

I suspect this is a segment in Gormanston???

found it:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/28679069

Orla Walsh on RTE there for a program on the Olympics.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I was waiting for the joke at the end where he would be taken out of it by a car. It didn’t come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I was waiting for the joke at the end where he would be taken out of it by a car. It didn’t come.

Yet…

Bikes and pillars: I moved some rather precious-looking all-leather cases and bags out from between the pillars on a bus to tie my bike there. It must be seven years now, but I still get an ache in bad weather between my ribs in the back where the knife-like glares went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cards for everyone!

Advertisement