Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If you suspect you have covid, or do have it but are asymptomatic and/or feeling fine, is it bad form to go away for a spin on your own? Taking all other necessary precautions, staying out of shops, cafes etc, staying away from other cyclists/pedestrians.

Had a bad cold since sunday which is now clearing, and was wondering about the above hypothetical situation if I had the 'rona.

Phone the GP and get a test done?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Phone the GP and get a test done?
    100% this, they will take all the details on board and arrange a test if necessary. Until you do this you should self isolate. Also if you are showing symptoms, then you are not asymptomatic. Not everyone's symptoms are major or non existent, some are minor, some are not, GP is the best place to call to go through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

devonp wrote: »
    just noticed the new TV scheduling layout on the RTE website. very disappointed , used to able to see all channels from all providers eg virgin for any given time period, now only 1 channel at a time , seems limited to major channels only

was quite good to have a quick look for cycling sports...

anywhere else give anything like the above ?

actually here
    https://www.virginmediatv.ie/en/tv/tv-guide.html
    Ha was just moaning about that to a flatmate but didnt expect to see it in the Cycling forum, what an utterly stupid decision. RTE actually had the best listings on the net with that site, everything on now and next across all channels at a glance, I had a shortcut on my phones homescreen to it and everything, now you'd have to spend 10 minutes clicking and scrolling 50 times to get the same info. Someone in RTE desperately trying to justify their position I suppose.

Oh yeah your Virgin alternative is a great replacement thanks, Virgin in doing something good shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh yeah your Virgin alternative is a great replacement thanks, Virgin in doing something good shocker.

Skys version is something similar, but I dont think it has as many of the Irish channels, while VM probably dont have as many 28.2 Satellite (SKY), sso between them you'll probably find everything you need.

https://www.sky.com/tv-guide

Got my first ever road traffic offence fine today. Riding a P/cycle without reasonable consideration contrary to Section 51 (A) RTA.......

I am 100% guilty, and I accept the fine. I just find it weird, because I think since it was so minor and it was settled civilly, that if I was driving a car, they wouldn't have given me the fine as I would have got points as well. Hopefully I am wrong and they are enforcing this equally across the board.

Were you on the phone or something?

Were you on the phone or something?

I, not on purpose, put my body through the back of a Santa Fe.

Wasn't it you who reported doing the exact same thing not all that long ago?

Hopefully you're ok?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hopefully you're ok?

I went into he back of a qasqai.
    Gardai were happy to leave us settle it ourselves.

They stopping in a 24 hr bus lane to answer a call was probably more than they cared to deal with

Hopefully you're ok?
    Same event, obviously the new Super in my town is intent on covering everything. The Garda who had dealt with it recommended no prosecution but it would be the Super who signs off on it. I thought it was closed but obviously not completely. Happy to pay it, a lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same event, obviously the new Super in my town is intent on covering everything. The Garda who had dealt with it recommended no prosecution but it would be the Super who signs off on it. I thought it was closed but obviously not completely. Happy to pay it, a lesson learnt.

Strange,I was in AGS for thirty years, more than half of that in Traffic. Only twice in that time did the Supt. go against my recommendation of no prosecution. One time Courts held with him, second time Court agreed with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is there a Boards league in the Fantasy TdF?

EDIT: I started a thread in the main forum. Sign up for a bit of added interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Im sure it looked better afterwards. The owner should have thanked you!
    Horrible hideous things,

Anyway, glad you are ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wasn't there a case of a new super in Galway about 8-9 years ago, or maybe a local Judge who told all pubs and clubs that kick out time was 2am. They cracked down it for a while but realised the sh!tshow of having everyone piling out at the same time

Either way it was someone new trying to make a reputation for themselves and it kind of backfired

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Cars blocking cycle lanes has gotten ridiculous: https://streamable.com/v90vg2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

apparently the driver flipped when someone asked him to move.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

apparently the driver flipped when someone asked him to move.

:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

What actually happened? Was it parked up?

Thargor wrote: »
    What actually happened? Was it parked up?

I had it in the Near Miss thread. I was waiting to come out of a T junction, car passed, I pulled out turning right. Cars were parked in on the left so I pulled out into traffic after checking (nothing there). Santa Fe in front started to speed up, so did I. Car in front emergency braked for a turn, Santa Fe slammed on and stopped, I slammed on and almost stopped. I hit it at about walking speed. My wheel hit the rear bumper and my rear wheel lifted, somehow enough to lift me over the handlebars and through the back window. My grandson has hit me with more force, but it still shattered. Driver didn't even realise I was in the car till I said sorry. He thought it was something in the boot moving.

You can even see me squeezing the brakes in time, but apparently disc brakes get worse really quickly once they wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Too big for me.
    When I read that first, I thought it was the project that was too big for you!

i suspect that would have turned into a frame strip down and not many other parts being retained.

i may lowball in an offer if there's no interest, the only question on the first one so far was my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

When I read that first, I thought it was the project that was too big for you!

I think I passed your good self in Lusk on Wednesday evening, I gave a wave as I passed just in case. I was on the motorbike

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think I passed your good self in Lusk on Wednesday evening, I gave a wave as I passed just in case. I was on the motorbike
    Indeed it was. I was a bit puzzled as I thought you were pointing at the ground. (I was returning from marshaling a club race).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

National Track Championships are on tomorrow and Sunday, and almost the entire High Performance and Olympic teams are gonna be racing. The whole thing is gonna be live streamed: http://www.trackcycling.ie/?p=7819

Racing starts at 10 past 10 with the flying 200m (sprint qualification).
    Schedule here:
    http://www.trackcycling.ie/?p=7786

The sprints and the scratch are going to be great. The fastest women in the country will be riding, Kelly Murphy, Mia Griffin, Lara Gillespie - it's gonna be great!
    And the sprints with Eimer McMullan, Orla Walsh, Deirbhle Ivory and Nikki Taggert, it's going to be super exciting!

I also predict Kelly Murphy will break the national outdoor record in the Individual Pursuit tomorrow.
    Whoop whoop!

posting this as it's a 'friend of a friend' scenario. GoFundMe for the poor chap badly injured on his bike in clondalkin the other day.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tony-mckeown

(background: https://www.thejournal.ie/cyclist-injured-lorry-collision-dublin-clondalkin-5188543-Aug2020/ )

I was going to ask what the bright objects were to the left of the moon I spotted when out closing the gates there but google tells me it's Jupiter and Saturn!!!!

• Advertisement

Was just out for a walk, passed the new cycle path under construction on Griffith avenue extension. It seems as unnecessarily narrow in real life as it does in the photos. Why, if they're taking a lane from motorists, they couldn't take a full lane, seems weird.

there has been some progress:

524662.jpg

still seems unnecessarily narrow (for a two way cycle lane) given the space available. more permanent looking than the rest of the cycle lane works DCC have been undertaking recently. the kerb is a little 'organic' looking, seems to have been shaped by hand rather than by a mould.

Advertisement