Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭secman

CramCycle wrote: »
    Had to head up the embankment this morning out of Tallaght, I'd say nearly 40 trucks passed me over the few km. Every single one of them gave at least 2m, coming to bends where there was no shoulder space they held back.

It was a really nice experience, except for the silver bus that skimmed me on a corner and I had to touch the side to stop myself being pushed off the road.

Managed to glance behind after to see the look of horror on the lorry drivers face as he thought he was about to be calling the gardai, not an ambulance.

Use that road regular and have to say the truck drivers usually behave as you just described. The most recent close pass I had to endure was with a wheelchair bus of all fecking vehicles, couldn't believe it... looking for new clients:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If the gent who picked me up off the pavement outside the George earlier is on here, thank you sir. That was a scary crash caused by such an innocuous thing. Incredibly lucky there was no traffic behind me. Bile and body have no major damage though I fear my wallet has generated a massive bloody bruise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

P_1 wrote: »
    If the gent who picked me up off the pavement outside the George earlier is on here, thank you sir. That was a scary crash caused by such an innocuous thing. Incredibly lucky there was no traffic behind me. Bile and body have no major damage though I fear my wallet has generated a massive bloody bruise.
    Regardless of the cause, glad you are ok.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Regardless of the cause, glad you are ok.

A feckin plastic bag got caught in my front wheel! Thankfully I was only doing 20kph and there was no traffic behind me. I'll be sore tomorrow but no major damage dome to body or bike

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

A feckin plastic bag got caught in my front wheel! Thankfully I was only doing 20kph and there was no traffic behind me. I'll be sore tomorrow but no major damage dome to body or bike

Ah crap, hate that. Get well soon P_1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Feckin' plastic, causing problems everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've mostly pretty positive experience of Dublin Bus drivers. Generally appreciative of you stopping to let them make a manoeuvre and such like.

its a culture thing, most them are pleasant guys, with management pushing the safe driving agenda

So I think the Damage report is a charleyhorse and 2 mildly sprained wrists along with a severely bruised ego. Will take it handy the next few days but should be back on the bike in a week.

manafana wrote: »
    its a culture thing, most them are pleasant guys, with management pushing the safe driving agenda

saw this today, woeful driving, and also terrible road layout, on path then dumped off it for bus stop allowing the bus to block the cycle lane then.

https://twitter.com/crowleystephen/status/1009714644779335680

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, saw that. Very bad driving. Deliberate too, I'm quite sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i dont use that bike lane its poorly done i feel safer using the road

Out with the dog this morning saw a fella in Liquigas kit jersey and arm warmers couldn't tell if he was on a cannondale :D but had a Ferrari (i think UK reg) suv of all things behind him and immediately thought here we go and was happily proven wrong in my assumption it would close pass him. Sat behind him for about 200m until he'd the view up the hill to make a safe pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Is there an email address for Traffic Watch as opposed to having to ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Vel wrote: »

They're in Mayo, silly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Vel wrote: »

Nope as that would probably encourage nuisance reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nope as that would probably encourage nuisance reporting

I'd settle for a non 1890 number. I think I tried what was listed on saynoto1890 but it wasn't correct if I recall - it was a while ago though.

Idleater wrote: »
    I'd settle for a non 1890 number. I think I tried what was listed on saynoto1890 but it wasn't correct if I recall - it was a while ago though.

(094) 905 1131‬
    (094) 904 9400‬

(Haven't tried these in ages, mind.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

... a Ferrari (i think UK reg) suv of all things ...

Maserati and Alfa Romeo have released SUVs but Ferrari have not (yet!) Could it have been one of those?
    Unless it was over for road testing (seriously; Porsche do this here regularly).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any specific reason they test in ireland?

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »
    Maserati and Alfa Romeo have released SUVs but Ferrari have not (yet!) Could it have been one of those?
    Unless it was over for road testing (seriously; Porsche do this here regularly).

Was actually a Porsche possibly a Cayenne, no idea why I said Ferrari the logo's aren't even remotely alike :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

any specific reason they test in ireland?
    Narrow rough country roads out Wesht. Beats all that efficient German smooth asphalt!
    Was actually a Porsche possibly a Cayenne, no idea why I said Ferrari the logo's aren't even remotely alike :o

Both have Prancing Horses to be fair.

well, got my little bit of cycling karma in the bank today hopefully. was driving between laytown and julianstown, passed a chap pushing an e-bike with a flat rear. spun back to him and he was very appreciative of the lift home; he was about 5km from home and i don't think had his phone with him. would not have been a particularly pleasant walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mods here allowed to have cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rechuchote wrote: »
    (094) 905 1131‬
    (094) 904 9400‬

(Haven't tried these in ages, mind.)

These don't work, you'll get Garda HR or something now. Only 1890 working.

I think I've driven more in the last week since the new wee one arrived than the entire year so far I think. Even for the weekly shop my partner would drive as it's very much her car even though she used to cycle to work most days she loves driving.

I hate it !!!! I'd need two hands to count the times I've nearly been rear ended and beeped stopping on orange. Same when behind someone on a red going to green I've had to beep them to distract them from their phone.

Don't even get me started on driving the M1/M50 at peak . Talk about blood pressure from the rampant muppetry I saw there last week and then hitting city center traffic. Don't know how people do that **** every day.

ED E wrote: »
    These don't work, you'll get Garda HR or something now. Only 1890 working.

According to a garda page, https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/road-safety/traffic-watch.html:
    Members of the public can report traffic-related incidents using the Traffic Watch lo-call number1890 205 805. These calls are answered and logged by civilian personnel at the Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar, Mayo F23 D303. The incident is then forwarded to the relevant District Officer (Superintendent) for investigation.

So I looked up "Garda Information Services Centre, Castlebar" and found this:
    GISC can be contacted at:

Michael Davitt House
    Castlebar, Co Mayo
    F23 D303

Tel: +353 94 9051131

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Some wonderful news,Chris Horner is returning to professional cycling to ride the U.S. Championships or something.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-returns-to-racing-at-us-pro-championships/

Great day for Cycling..
    Go Chris!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Some wonderful news,Chris Horner is returning to professional cycling to ride the U.S. Championships or something.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/horner-returns-to-racing-at-us-pro-championships/

Great day for Cycling..
    Go Chris!

So much crazy in one article.

• Advertisement

20 minutes on the stationary bike down the gym this morning. Leg still a bit sore but spinning did i some good. Will be a few days yet before u put weight on the right hand

Advertisement