Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's been shambolic there for years even at the quietest of times. People were stopped short of stopping and parking in the road last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

3999 basic model, add the box and we're at 7k add the rest and were at 11k for a post bike. Likely got a deal on a bulk order, still good value for them imo with the saving vs running a van. I asked the fella how he was finding it when I was along side him at lights and he was enthusiastic to say the least.

If I'd the money I'd be looking for the credit card right now :D

Saw one of these today. Postman was flying' along, about 20-25kph, on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Current situation - water loading for a weight cut, food is also seriously restricted this week. I'd love a cycle but I haven't the head for it at all.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Saw one of these today. Postman was flying' along, about 20-25kph, on the footpath.

They're a fair width so he was probably taking up all of the footpath, what if he met a buggy or even just a person walking? Can't imagine he'd be hopping off kerbs on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

They're a fair width so he was probably taking up all of the footpath, what if he met a buggy or even just a person walking? Can't imagine he'd be hopping off kerbs on it.

He was. Meadowview on the Crossroute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »

Glasnevin is rife with this ****. Outside the Botanic Gardens a few Sundays ago (they had a kids' Halloween event), nothing but pricks parking on the pavement, we could barely get through walking, the lady who passed me in a wheelchair had less luck. Entitled parent syndrome to the max.

Glasnevin is rife with this ****. Outside the Botanic Gardens a few Sundays ago (they had a kids' Halloween event), nothing but pricks parking on the pavement, we could barely get through walking, the lady who passed me in a wheelchair had less luck. Entitled parent syndrome to the max.

You must have been there the same day as me so. We walked down too. It's incredibly well serviced by busses too (63, 155, 4 and 9 are all within 2 mins of the entrance), yet people who live within 20-30 mins walk away max or a 5 min bus journey, insist on driving. It takes a lot of the good out of it.

Even when I didn't live as close to it as I did, I normally went by bus, bike or foot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, that's the day referenced in the tweet, which led to the action above.

Weepsie wrote: »
    You must have been there the same day as me so. We walked down too. It's incredibly well serviced by busses too (63, 155, 4 and 9 are all within 2 mins of the entrance), yet people who live within 20-30 mins walk away max or a 5 min bus journey, insist on driving. It takes a lot of the good out of it.

Even when I didn't live as close to it as I did, I normally went by bus, bike or foot.

Yip. I wasn't aware it was on, but was walking my son there from Santry to meet people. It's a constant issue in that area. The issues with parents parking at the old ETS has been pushed up to their new premises. Soccer in Albert College causes issues, Mass up the road causes issues. It's total madness around there. Like you say, there's multiple buses that would leave you less than five minutes walk from Botanic Gardens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yip. I wasn't aware it was on, but was walking my son there from Santry to meet people. It's a constant issue in that area. The issues with parents parking at the old ETS has been pushed up to their new premises. Soccer in Albert College causes issues, Mass up the road causes issues. It's total madness around there. Like you say, there's multiple buses that would leave you less than five minutes walk from Botanic Gardens

The long and short if it is, people know it is wrong but feel it is OK when backed up by the 'everyone else is at it' mentality. The truth is, they need to hit it everyday, a few times a day for two weeks. Then randomly, at least once a week so it becomes a no go zone.

Add to this someone from DCC actively monitoring twitter and phones to send the clampers to the right zone, as well as the gardai. Education doesn't work because all of these people know it is wrong.

Anecdote upcoming, I share a car at the minute (well it is mine but they use it, rarely me) and was with the other person to get a lift this morning, they were meeting someone en route to get a lift to a work meeting. I left my bike in the car as I planned to leave the car there and collect on the way home. Road is wide enough to park on and traffic get by but they parked on the pavement. I said it to them and they said, everyone else is parked there. They are smart, they would often pass comments about sh1tty car parking but still, that sheep mentality is rife with people. I had to move the car onto the road, cars still got passed without issue. Then they realised as the guy walking down the road walked passed us but had to go onto the road to get passed the other cars (pavement is barely wide enough for a wheelchair). I mean they realised but stayed quiet about it.

If they had been clamped or towed, i would have had no sympathy. I mean, this was a road where there was actually space to park on it and people were still acting sh1t, I imagine because hey feel a closer affinity to the cars that speed through and are more concerned with a prat tipping their car then the convenience of every pedestrian in the area.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The long and short if it is, people know it is wrong but feel it is OK when backed up by the 'everyone else is at it' mentality. The truth is, they need to hit it everyday, a few times a day for two weeks. Then randomly, at least once a week so it becomes a no go zone.

Add to this someone from DCC actively monitoring twitter and phones to send the clampers to the right zone, as well as the gardai. Education doesn't work because all of these people know it is wrong.

Anecdote upcoming, I share a car at the minute (well it is mine but they use it, rarely me) and was with the other person to get a lift this morning, they were meeting someone en route to get a lift to a work meeting. I left my bike in the car as I planned to leave the car there and collect on the way home. Road is wide enough to park on and traffic get by but they parked on the pavement. I said it to them and they said, everyone else is parked there. They are smart, they would often pass comments about sh1tty car parking but still, that sheep mentality is rife with people. I had to move the car onto the road, cars still got passed without issue. Then they realised as the guy walking down the road walked passed us but had to go onto the road to get passed the other cars (pavement is barely wide enough for a wheelchair). I mean they realised but stayed quiet about it.

If they had been clamped or towed, i would have had no sympathy. I mean, this was a road where there was actually space to park on it and people were still acting sh1t, I imagine because hey feel a closer affinity to the cars that speed through and are more concerned with a prat tipping their car then the convenience of every pedestrian in the area.

Agree and have experienced similar (stop at lights with others, one person cycles through and the rest decide to follow them)... My experiences in the last 12 months between driving and cycling is that a Garda presence on the road (for more than just a motor tax grab) is the only way to discourage people's self-centred attitudes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my sister used to regularly park across the footpath while visiting my parents, despite my constant protestations. she did so to make it easier to carry the kids into the house, but seemed not to be too worried when i pointed out that by the same token, she was making life more difficult for other parents of small children who had to wheel buggies around the car - onto the (admittedly quiet) road to get past her car.

Probably mentioned before about the guy down the road from us who if he can't park in the bays outside his house (commuters regularly use them if they chance on them empty) he'll throw it up on the footpath and block it, irony being he has a disabled sticker on the dash, any time I've seen him he's looked no more disabled than I am which is not at all and he lives alone :mad:

Agree and have experienced similar (stop at lights with others, one person cycles through and the rest decide to follow them)... My experiences in the last 12 months between driving and cycling is that a Garda presence on the road (for more than just a motor tax grab) is the only way to discourage people's self-centred attitudes.

Got stopped by the Gardai this evening on the bike path, kinda wished I'd stuck to the bus lane but my back wheel was soft so I decided against the hop down and I was slower than usual. Waved me down, they were round a corner with the blue lights. It took the first Garda what felt like a minute (about 10 seconds) to figure out that I had lights on, fairly decent ones front and back, before he waved me on, the second said I could take a Hi vis and lights if I wanted. said no to the hi vis but told him my son would enjoy the lights. While they wasted their time with me and the three cyclists behind me who all had better lights than me, and mine were decent, I seen 4 cars go through the lights beside them in the bus lane. I just can't help but feel sorry for them that they were wasting their time. The rear of their car would have been visible to each of those cars and none of them reacted, they either don't care or they didn't notice, either should have the car siezed in a fair world. This was the same junction i seen a guy watching movies at as he drove round the corner. the lights they were handing out were not good enough for cyclists, marked with DLR stickers.

Yesterday I seen a young lad go up the slip road at UCD, drive through a red light about 4 seconds after it changed, nearly hit 2 people crossing on green (would have hit me only I heard the car speed up and slowed), come back down the other side (skipping traffic), and then nearly rear ending a garda car who was behind a bus. Lad was lucky he scrubbed just enough speed. 4 Gardai in a Traffic Corps car, not one noticed. This was nowhere near the stupidest thing I seen on the way home.

The rules need to be like they are for using untaxed fuel, outrageously high because the chance of getting caught are so low, so you accept getting caught is a minimal risk but that you also have to weigh up that if you do, you lose the car, lose your license. It has to really be a hard hit to the pocket for people to learn. No judge in the country feeling bad for you, it should be out of their hands, no excuses, no discretion. Discretion was a good idea in theory but we simply are not a mature enough country to use it correctly anymore.

Rant over, I am tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SUV full of armed Gardai, next to them people texting and driving. No effing fear of enforcement. You'd sooner win the lotto.

I agree re discretion. It was never a perfect system, but most had a favourable outcome at some point as a result of it and it was generally accepted to be a mentality by which we could all just keep going with our lives in a relatively free and sensible manner.

With so many people on our roads now, all modes of transport included, that mentality no longer has any benefits. And I'm angry enough a person to be able to throw in multiple other instances where "letting it slide" is having a detrimental effect on mental health, where people don't understand how to behave. But then we are an individualistic society, not collectivistic.

But there's no point putting together a list that'll have me raging all night.

But there's no point putting together a list that'll have me raging all night.

100%, These are only the few that randomly pop into my head and get me annoyed, if I sat there and went through every transgression committed, well I'd go insane. Despite all my whining on here, cycling is safe, nothing else clears my head, nothing else sets me up for the day or relaxes me for an evening quite like that spin on the bike.

A 145 overtook me today but it was coming to a stop, and I seen that he wasn't pulling in, so as to let me pass, I felt I was too far back and he had right of way. I eased off and waved him in but he was cautious. I checked, signalled, and pulled out behind him and overtook him.The other 145 behind him waved me out, I gave the driver a thumbs up, I looked around and gave the driver who had been in front a wave of appreciation. No one got delayed, everyone was happy, and that wave and a nod put me at ease. i would pass them, and them me, a few more times, all without issue. I knew they were there, and more importantly, they knew I was there and it made a nice commute even better.

I rant on here alot but despite how it seems, my commutes are actually quite pleasant and I wouldn't swap it for my partners drive in and out the same route, even if you doubled or tripled my salary, life is too short, hopefully no one mistakes my ranting on here as anything more than a person with a few idle minutes letting their brain wind down from something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, I get worked up now and then, but I have pretty uneventful trips on the whole. Every other option isn't just not as enjoyable, they're all totally impractical in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I knock on a window post almost driving into /over me about once every few months. I usually just wave a hand in a 'ah come on/wtf' fashion and intenrally grumble.
    Tonight was this quarter's giving out!

One absolute clem was tailgating me for a wee while, I held my line, traffic was bumper to bumper. They raged on by me, then immediately, and I mean immediately turned left :rolleyes: I had slowed down from the tailgating (if they go into me I want to be going as slow as is safe). This all took place over the space of 10m. I slowed them down for less than 2 seconds. They hopped on the indicator when they made the turn :pac:

Someday my eyes are gonna get stuck up there :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Saw my first one yesterday also (can't recall where). I was thinking that Deliveroo had taken it to a whole new level before the penny dropped.

Meanwhile our new 'postman' is a very fit and athletic woman. She hammers along with a fully laden (old type) bike.

ED E wrote: »
    SUV full of armed Gardai, next to them people texting and driving. No effing fear of enforcement. You'd sooner win the lotto.
    almost certainly the gardai least likely to react to such an obvious flaunting of traffic law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

almost certainly the gardai least likely to react to such an obvious flaunting of traffic law.

Those lads don't care about traffic law and rightly so, they're out there for other reasons

in relation to this, i wonder why the cycle lane markings were not repainted with a solid line, and it made a mandatory cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Pretty sure the road is too narrow for mandatory cycle lane and two traffic lanes even if the 24/7 unregulated parking on the east side of the road was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Just unscrewed the valve instead of the inflator with my last CO2 cartridge attached. fml.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Best wheel reflector ever made..

The rows those caused in our house back in the day, no waiting for them to come out naturally. Shopping would arrive home and the corn flakes had to be opened :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement