Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare case. Restricted shotgun.

Options
  • 20-04-2018 9:45pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A recent court case in Kildare saw the refusal by a Chief Super to grant restricted licenses to two men for an UTAS shotgun. The guys took the CS to court and won.

The CS said the guns were "more" dangerous because of how they look (God give me strength) and they posed a danger to the public.

Luckily the judge, taken precedence from previous high court cases i'd presume, said the claim of threat to the public does not count for much unless such a threat can be shown.

Judge Desmond Zaidan has been in the papers before. He seems to apply a good and common sense approach to the firearms act and law as a whole.

One thing puzzled me though. The CS in his questioning said that while any person can own up to 20 firearms,
    Chief Supt Roche said that while the law allows for a person to have up to 20 firearms....................,
    ................ and then continued on about the amount each man had. Where is it written that a person can only own 20 firearms? I know few if any actually do, but i've never heard of and was always under the impression the amount is "limitless".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Correct, there's not even the concept of a limit in the law beyond the need for secure storage and that's pretty recent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I realize in the grand scheme of things, relating to the case, this might seem like a small even pedantic point, but why was the CS not corrected by either the opposing counsel or the justice? Not expecting an answer here, but its these little small things that give AGS the gumption to believe they can impose their own set of laws as they see fit.

Heck even this case. The CS says the gun is more dangerous because of how it looks. I mean my God, from a legal point of view did he ever think that would fly? I'm not talking about pistol grips and more than three shots because as restricted shotguns those points are moot, but more dangerous because of how it looks.
    He explained that while the men in question have showed themselves responsible with firearms, the public could be put in fear when they see these guns. He voiced fears in court that the Utas gun is a more dangerous type of gun.

He said: "The size and shape of the gun gives rise to apprehension."
    Also the fact that these guys have 11 guns between them and shown to be responsible and competent gun owners, but because the gun looks scary, they're all of a sudden not competent enough???????

Jesus wept.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Also, how do you quantify how one gun is more dangerous than another ? They are inanimate objects.

This whole red herring of looks is something that needs to be consigned to history. Is an airsoft copy of a minigun lethal ? No its a toy, but looks the part.

Blue and walnut guns like the mosin nagant, lee enfield, arisaka and garand probably put more people in the ground, than all the tupperware black plastic ones by a fair old margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭g00167015

Ahhhhhh, it's the "bejayzusidon'tlikethelookofthatyoke" clause of the AGS's imaginary version of the firearms act once again.

Also where did this "up to 20" mullarkey come from. I should hope that the State's Counsel makes a formal apology for their client deliberately misleading the Court at the next available sitting before that Judge.

.......and all this rather blatant ignorance of the law from someone who has been seen fit to be appointed a CS.

It's a great organisation, they even give you a free jacket as well.........

Lord give me patience.

Grizzly might recognise this chap's name by now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭clivej

Great news for two lads I know and shoot with and one is a gun dealer. They still won't beat me with my sh!te Mossberg 88 lol
    Again the press tell of them applying for Shotguns but show a photo of an assault rifle. Sh!te from the press as usual.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/naas-district-court-judge-grants-licences-chief-supt-describes-military-assault-rifles/220399

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Melodeon

clivej wrote: »
    Great news for two lads I know and shoot with and one is a gun dealer. They still won't beat me with my sh!te Mossberg 88 lol
    Again the press tell of them applying for Shotguns but show a photo of an assault rifle. Sh!te from the press as usual.

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/naas-district-court-judge-grants-licences-chief-supt-describes-military-assault-rifles/220399

That IS the shotgun in question.
    Or at least, the pump action variant, the UTS-15: http://www.utas-usa.com/pumpactionshotgun
    The semi-auto, the XTR-12, is more AR-like: http://www.utas-usa.com/semiautoshotgun

I don't know which version was in question in this case, but both conform to the strictly defined terms and specifications of the Idontlikedalookodat classification.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Seems to me that Tricky from another post should walk straight into his CS and ask politely for his rifles to be handed straight back to him. The looks of a firearm have just been thrown out of court so I would imagine his CS should think about taking this further.

Thing is, there literally is an "Idontlikethelookofdat" clause, it's right there in the Restricted List's SI:
    “assault rifles” means—
    (a) rifles capable of functioning as semi-automatic firearms and as automatic
    firearms,
    (b) firearms that resemble such rifles;
    (note that it doesn't even require that the firearm in question be a rifle, so you can legally have a shotgun that's an assault rifle under the law).

And if a firearm is defined in law as an assault rifle under that definition, it's restricted.

It's not like we didn't point out the problems at the drafting, but it's still in there... I just don't know of any case law where it wasn't - like this time - thrown out of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭J.R.

gunny123 wrote: »
    This whole red herring of looks is something that needs to be consigned to history. .

I don't agree with refusal over "looks scary" for one minute...crazy deduction....and am not trying to justify it with scenario below.

Many people base a lot on looks.......two guys walk into a shop...one in a 3 piece suit & well groomed...the other is leathers, covered in tattoos & piercings with shaved head..............the majority with deduct that "suit" is sound & "leathers" is hassle...based on looks alone......before they even open their mouths...that's the way the public is.

A three piece suit? Banker. Trust that one as far as you can throw a truck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Also, what does an "assault rifle " look like?Answers on a postcard please....

CS Roche,now in charge in Henry St Limerick... Looks like fun times ahead. Oh well,hope CS Roche has costs for court handy in his new division...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Also, what does an "assault rifle " look like?Answers on a postcard please....

If you ask very nicely, Mr Roche might be able to provide you with a detailed written description. After all, in his own mind, he appears to have ALL the answers........(studying some of the firearms-related evidence which he disclosed recently before a Court of law.) Knowledgable chap indeed

Possible sarcasm ha

Should also point out now at this stage.WHEN does it become enough times to have to go to court to prove that your guns are liscenseable without this becoming harrassment?This Reapplication process is now being misused by AGS that everyone is now preparing every 3 years who has a restricted firearm to have to go and do the" district court dance":mad: When three different judges and two chief Superintendents consider you an ok and safe person to have firearms,there should be a cut off point where it should become an automatic re issue.Nowhere else in Irish life would you be hunted and harried this much in any licensing procedure.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

g00167015 wrote: »
    If you ask very nicely, Mr Roche might be able to provide you with a detailed written description. After all, in his own mind, he appears to have ALL the answers........(studying some of the firearms-related evidence which he disclosed recently before a Court of law.) Knowledgable chap indeed

Possible sarcasm ha

Be full of things like "The thing that folds up in the back" and semi fullauto fire capable no doubt.

17 months on from my own (non-restricted, 204 rifle) appeal, our fella is STILL in contempt of Court as the certificate has not issued in the correct form as ordered by the Court (ie- no "sour grapes" conditions applied by the embarrased Sup't in direct contravention of S15A_3 of the act). A cert eventually materialised a couple of weeks ago however it only had a 19 month expiry, not the 36 dictated by statute.

(To save queries, it was impossible for me to possess, or attempt to use, the 204 without committing an offence up until March 8th 2018. Original order was Dec 14 2016)

Also, he is also still in contempt of an Order of Costs (in full) made against him. No monies have thusfar been discharged in respect of this Order.

Pathetic abuse of the system by AGS using every conceivable opportunity to attempt to frustrate due process......no less than ELEVEN times before the Court on this matter

A disgraceful organisation

Hope you have been onto GSOC, the GA,the cheif comissioner[acting] and the minister for justice on this?i would also go and see about a claim against the minister for justice and the garda comissioner for allowing this carry on of one of their staff being in contempt of court for so long.Utter disgrace..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hope you have been onto GSOC, ..........
    Biggest farce of an oversight group i've ever dealt with.

I'd be straight onto my brief and have them back in court. Accept no apologies or offers on the steps or before. Bring them to court again, make them pay for it.

As we all keep saying at some point we have to stand up for ourselves, especially when the law is on our side.

Cass wrote: »

It does seem to be a bit of a shambles, if one in five superintendents is under investigation by it but over 50% of the investigations are done by superintendents.

You'd hope the new policing authority might shake things up a little...

GSOC has unfortunately been shown to be nothing except a mechanism for the creation of excuses for unlawful conduct.

Sad really

Hope you have been onto GSOC, the GA,the cheif comissioner[acting] and the minister for justice on this?i would also go and see about a claim against the minister for justice and the garda comissioner for allowing this carry on of one of their staff being in contempt of court for so long.Utter disgrace..

Writing to the acting Commissioner, all I will get is a cut-copy-paste reply from the secretary at that office..........

"Dear Sir,

I am directed by the Commissioner to acknowledge receipt of your correspondence dated 12/34/5678. We will revert to you in course.

Yours,
    ##### #######
    Private secretary to Commissioner"

After that, nothing will ever happen except for a whole lot of cowardice and dishonesty and Ostrich mentality etc etc etc

Barely worth wasting printer ink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Reason of refusal was the size and shape of the gun? I dont get it its a semi auto 12ga shotgun at the end of the day. Obv needs to be restricted because of the amount it can hold but it is no different than my old xtrema 2 with the mag extension.

Fair enough if it was wanted for clays or hunting but its intended use is for the precision shotgun comps.

Mind boggling stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,040 ✭✭✭clivej

Melodeon wrote: »
    That IS the shotgun in question.
    Or at least, the pump action variant, the UTS-15: http://www.utas-usa.com/pumpactionshotgun
    The semi-auto, the XTR-12, is more AR-like: http://www.utas-usa.com/semiautoshotgun

I don't know which version was in question in this case, but both conform to the strictly defined terms and specifications of the Idontlikedalookodat classification.

No It's not, this is what they have, I know because I have shot with the lads

http://www.utas-usa.com/semiautoshotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Clive is right its the xtr 12. It is my local rfd who sells them and went to court over the matter

I'd be straight onto my brief and have them back in court. Accept no apologies or offers on the steps or before. Bring them to court again, make them pay for it.

As we all keep saying at some point we have to stand up for ourselves, especially when the law is on our side.

!00% Ab- sol- loutey correct on how good GSOC is on this...

However, there is a method to our madness and it behoves everyone to report and instigate an investigation into any such shennanigans of Supers and Cheif supers, no matter what the [obvious[outcome of the GSOC investigation will be... Keep reporting and soon a cunning plan will spring into action.

100% if they are going to do deals at the court door, they might as well speak up and go nil contende in the court.

Writing to the acting Commissioner, all I will get is a cut-copy-paste reply from the secretary at that office..........

"Dear Sir,

I am directed by the Commissioner to acknowledge receipt of your correspondence dated 12/34/5678. We will revert to you in course.

Yours,
    ##### #######
    Private secretary to Commissioner"

Ah.. It needs to come from "Bob Massingbird & co Solrs " "Successfully screwing and litigating against the Govt since the States foundation" Types.;) I

IOW you need the type of people that Frank Mc Bearty used to write to the Commissioner and minister on this matter.

I'm sure they would be glad to hear of the great improvements in policing matters like this in your neck of the woods since the Mc Bearty affair.

I was looking at a lad in the UK with these BR99 shotguns. Similar sort of thing.

http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/category/br99-shotguns/

You and me both about 4 weeks ago... Looks good that gun,but I think I'll stick with a Saiga 12 or Molot Veper 12 all the same.:pac::)

Are the fcp no use in this particular instance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

he CS says the gun is more dangerous because of how it looks. I mean my God, from a legal point of view did he ever think that would fly?

A CS with years in the job especially in the "good old days" of zero accountability is likely of the opinion that his word is gospel.

gunny123 wrote: »
    Are the fcp no use in this particular instance ?

Probably not, as it is legislation, however, a strong case could be made that the legislative power is being abused with these reapplications with certain people.How many times do you need to go to a DC to have a DC judge grant a license that a CS is unwilling to do because of ABC CYA mentality.If they cant prove a case on looks, military or police only usage, military calibres, mag capacity, no competitions for this particular type of firearm, or the mere civilians might drop down dead from fright on seeing this type of gun in public...What is left?One DC dance is enough ..3times is extracting the urine on any one individual.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    A CS with years in the job especially in the "good old days" of zero accountability is likely of the opinion that his word is gospel.

Also known as the "C'mere ta me boy, don't you know I'm the law" mentality

Advertisement