Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Beginner's Game: Act 1, Scene 2(c): Painted Faces

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

After much deliberation Stufur decides to stay away from the alcove and continues through the door to the West, testing the door and floor for traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

"Oooh treasures, how nice... I suppose trinkets never go a miss, especially when it could potentially save our lives".

Webby inspects the shortbow.

Elven in creation, it's a finely carved bow. The arrows are standard for a bow of its size.

Fourier wrote: »
    After much deliberation Stufur decides to stay away from the alcove and continues through the door to the West, testing the door and floor for traps.

Door opens outwards into another corridor which leads north.

Finely designed mosaic tiles line the floors and walls in pretty patterns.

No traps he can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

Webby grabs the bow and its arrows and chases after Stufur.

"Not even a little tempted?" he mutters as he tries to catch up to the elf.

Stufur speaks over his shoulder to Webby.

"I'm only alright with bows and that chest is best dealt with by an experienced locksmith.

Well this corridor looks pleasant. Beautiful in fact.

Want to go first?"

• Advertisement

"a Halfling is not suited as a front, we are best hiding behind things instead... but, if you insist... not much to hide behind anyway" Webby mutters as he leads ahead of Stufur.

Webby cautiously proceeds down the corridor.

OOC : How cautiously? Drop and gimme 20! A D20 that is :
    https://rolz.org/dr?room=The%20Meatgrinder%20Boards.ieD%26D
    The command to roll the die is #d20.

OOC : Nebelwerfer rolled a natural 20 on dex roll

*Click*

OOC : Fourier, roll for Dex please.

OOC : Stufur rolled a 5
    As his left foot comes down Webby realises something's out of place but it's too late, he's committed his full weight to that leg. A faint cry escapes his lips. There's a sickening crunch as his boot crushes the beetle, the pressure forcing it's innards out in a sudden gush.

Stufur instinctively leans back as the gore streaks past him.

Leaning over to examine the bottom of his viscera-encrusted boot, Webby notices one of the tiles on the floor is out of place - the design is the wrong way around.

OOC : ok, finishing up there for tonight!

• Advertisement

Shivvers run down Webby's spine as he takes off his boot and wipes the beetle remnants onto the wall.

"I hope your wits are as good as your reflexes elf, probably best if you lead the way from now on... I am more useful when not stepping into or onto things."

Webby turns back to the tile and inspects to see whether there is purpose to the file facing backwards.

"Stufur, come look at this.."

"Well it looks like the design is reversed....hmmm, hold on"

Stufur takes out his longsword and attempts to pry the mosaic tile from the floor.

Fourier wrote: »
    "Well it looks like the design is reversed....hmmm, hold on"

Stufur takes out his longsword and attempts to pry the mosaic tile from the floor.

Ook
    Strengths check please

OOC: 19! 1E why hast thou forsaken me

OOC: 19 rolled. For the edition we are playing, Stats Rolls need to be equal to or under the appropriate stat. In Stufur's case as we tested Strength, he needed a 13 or less to pass. Saving Throws, which we will cover when they come up, need to be OVER or equal to the number on your stats sheet.

The tile is stuck fast and the sword is unable to budge it. The sword though, seems to slightly move the tile and area beneath. Stufur can see it is a pressure pad.

Stufur avoids this tile and begins to move incredibly slowly across the tiled floor, moving directly in a straight line North along one column of tiles. He checks each tile as he moves.

Most of the other tiles appear normal, but there is a central area towards the end of the corridor with a similar pattern to the one he previously examined.

A door lies beyond them, about 4 feet from these.

"Hmm, are the tiles a trap or part of some mechanism" Stufur wonders.

He returns to Webby, along the same path.

"Say, you still have some of those rocks?"

Webby goes through his bag and his pockets.

"I think I should still have some, why, what are you thinking?".

"We try triggering the pressure pads from a distance?"

• Advertisement

"Ah, excellent idea..."

Slowly and carefully Webby makes his way towards Stufur.

Webby aims at the first pressure pad and shoots one of his stones towards it.

OOC: Roll to Save Against Spells, Stufur and Webby

The entire room erupts into blue flame, from the start of the corridor.

It surges forward at breakneck pace, arcing from the ceiling to the floor.

Webby and Stufur see the danger and begin to run for the door.

However the flames are too fast and both catch fire.

They burst through the door at the end of the corridor, screaming and shouting in pain.

OOC: Stufur, you received 3HP damage, Webby you received 4HP damage.

To explain further, Saving Throws you need to roll equal to or greater than the number listed on your Character Sheet, the opposite of Stats rolls. So a 7 for Stufur, nor the 10 for Webby was high enough.

Stufur rolls around in agony and puts himself out.

Standing he hobbles a bit away from Webby.

"My fault I admit."

He takes the spell books and quill out of his bag, rederiving the magical equations for sleep and inscribing them. He glances around at the room as he does.

Webby groans softly being hurt by the fire.

"I wish it was as simple as blaming just you elf, I should have learned by now that no good comes from throwing stones at things..."

Webby gets up and hastily pads himself from top to bottom to make sure nothing is still smoldering. He looks around in the room to see what dangers await them next.

Both Webby and Stufur look up to examine the room.

This room is bright, lit up by the unearthly glow of a portal ensconced on the north wall at the top of a flight of steps.

a99e1c1b-67c6-4fcd-a114-0d621307d7e7.png

A flight of steps blocked by a sunburned figure holding a quarterstaff.

His poise betrays no sign of tension and his unfocussed gaze suggests he's unaware of their presence.

unknown.png?width=164&height=300

Stufur finishes up writing in the spell, closes the book and places it in his backpack.

He whispers to Webby.

"Think we should get his attention?"

Webby nods in approval.

He wispers at Stufur "Should we resort to pelting more stones? It worked great the last few times".

Webby smirks until he is reminded he is in fact still recovering from the burns received only moments ago.

Webby looks around to see whether there is a shadow cast anywhere where he can hide and get a tactical advantage over or underneath the sunburned man.

The room is quite brightly lit, but the west wall has a small alcove dipped in shadow.

• Advertisement

Webby points towards the west wall and whispers "I think i could hide away there and have the advantage of surprise if things go awry".

Webby looks around the room to make sure there are no other traps that coule be set off.

Webby then pulls at the sleeve of Stufur and whispers "How do you want to do this elf?"

Advertisement