Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

HisJills wrote: »
    Well done to MJW, best player of the tournament and probably the season! Will never ever forget the red he potted in the middle using another red to go up and down to clip in the red that was over the middle pocket. That shot was just incredible, wouldn’t be on most other players radar at all as it’s not really a shot they would even consider, yet he goes for it and makes it, outrageous really! A true legend of the game with an amazing snooker brain. Fantastic to watch

To be fair, Barry "Bottler" Hawkins should have beaten him and he was playing great stuff, demolished Ding and was beating Williams well but then went and did his usual bottling. Sure, if he had scraped through, he would have done the same thing against Higgins. It's a massive weakness of Hawkins, don't know he can cure it, especially after all the scars over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Enjoyed the tournament. Didn't really have a dog in the fight in the final, but delighted for Williams. Would have been sick for him if he lost after having such a big lead. Some comeback from Higgins, incredible to get back to 15-15. 99% pot success is just crazy.

The younger players need to learn that snooker just isn't about potting and break building. The old timers show time and time again that the strategic side of the game is just as important, especially when you're potting is off the boil and the pressure is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Well that turned into a great final session at the Crucible. Neither player missing much once they were in amoung the balls. Both old stagers well able to handle any pressure from final night at the Crucible.

Happy to see Mark get over the line and John made a fair fist of it in the final session considering where he was. Can't be too dissapointed to lose like that, he was never ahead in the final.

It is amazing how people age, even compared to a generation ago. MJW is 8 years older than Dennis was when he won in '85. Yet Mark is a bit of a rejuvenated teenager with his towel prank. In Dennis's generation you were expected to be an old serious man before your time once you got married and settled. Well apart from his jokey routine. Players of that era seemed older in their 30s and finished in their 40s.

Crucible withdrawal symptoms today onwards. At least we will have the World Cup along soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

It is amazing how people age, even compared to a generation ago. MJW is 8 years older than Dennis was when he won in '85. Yet Mark is a bit of a rejuvenated teenager with his towel prank. In Dennis's generation you were expected to be an old serious man before your time once you got married and settled. Well apart from his jokey routine. Players of that era seemed older in their 30s and finished in their 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think that’s a very pertinent point about the younger players. Increasingly they are not being conditioned for the gruelling test that is the world championships. Hawkins isn’t young in that sense but found it revealing how shattered he was after that sf. I’d say his personal circumstances had a lot to do with that, he had invested a lot of emotional energy over the two weeks, indeed over the whole season, and I felt it just finally caught up with him. He seemed relieved that the torture was at an end.

The problem for players is that there’s really no other way to get that conditioning other than at the Crucible itself. Playing best of 7s all year isn’t going to help develop much of a matchplay mindset and that’s how they are learning the game these days. The UK was at least one format that could give them a taste of what’s required but the authorities, in their wisdom, ruined that. Would love to see an injection of new blood at the top but, as things stand, can’t see any reason why the veterans won’t be competitive for a few years yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

That was like trip back in time for me that final , sensational performance from Williams,you don't need 10 centuries in a match to call it so

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HisJills

sligeach wrote: »
    To be fair, Barry "Bottler" Hawkins should have beaten him and he was playing great stuff, demolished Ding and was beating Williams well but then went and did his usual bottling. Sure, if he had scraped through, he would have done the same thing against Higgins. It's a massive weakness of Hawkins, don't know he can cure it, especially after all the scars over the years.

Ya, Barry bottled it alright, had fancied him to win it from 2nd round onwards! Surely his bottle job though means he wasn’t the best player over the whole tournament!?
    The shots that Mark made throughout the tournament and even in the final are some of the greatest (and most outrageous pots, some with safety in mind) I’ve ever seen in the WC! Amazing viewing for the entire tournament.
    The way Higgins kept coming back in that final session though was truly remarkable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

mdwexford wrote: »
    Delighted for Williams. A real character on and off the table which there aren't many of anymore. To win it fifteen years after your last victory, in this day and age is some feat.

I'm pleased for him, becoming a fan over the past few seasons, especially this season.

It's refreshing hearing him being of the older generation during interviews this season not complaining about the 'hectic' schedule and just getting on with it, embracing it and doing well in China in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

It must be some sort of record in any sport to win world championship 15 years apart

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

It must be some sort of record in any sport to win world championship 15 years apart

Can't think of any but 15 year span would be near impossible in physical exertion sports

• Advertisement

Probably something comparable in some minority sport or other, but cant think of it. I know it didnt happen, but one of greatest ever feats of age for me was Tom Watson at the 2009 British Open, just falling narrowly short nearly a quarter of century after his previous major victory and at the age of 59. The epitome of heroic failure, if that's even the right word!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I'd imagine Phil Taylor has won W'championship 20 odd years apart but not with the barren spell in between. It'd have to be a sport like golf mentioned above where the physical side of things is not as important relative to other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I know we've talked a bit about age here but historically it has to be said, age hasn't been a huge barrier to playing good snooker and doing well in tournaments. I'm far too young to remember Alex Higgins losing to a 61 year old Fred Davis in the 1974 World q/f, but I do vividly recall feeling angry and nonplussed when he lost to 53 year old Rex Williams at the Mercantile Credit classic in 1986. How the f... did Alex do it?
    There was also the legend Cliff Wilson beating a 15 year old prodigy by the name of Ronnie O'Sullivan at the 1990 Uk Champs at the age of 56. And, more recently, Steve Davis reaching the world q/fs in 2010 at the ripe old age of 53.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,354 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There were 15 years between Roger Federer’s first major win and his most recent. In a sport as physically taxing as tennis, that is absolutely remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Maybe, 12 years is impressive but he'll need a few more injections to get to 15!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

George Foreman lost his title in 74 and regained “a” title in 94.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If we’re talking spans between wins then I am surprised nobody has mentioned Lester Piggott. He was first to come to mind..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

What a stupid thing to say.

Why is it a stupid thing to say........tats and in particular those full arm/leg ones as Williams has are Absolutely hedious.....total ‘Chav’ symbols why sports people and celebs are obsessed with them is beyond me....it’s his own business and he can decorate his skin how he pleases But tats are beyond classless

martyos121 wrote: »
    There were 15 years between Roger Federer’s first major win and his most recent. In a sport as physically taxing as tennis, that is absolutely remarkable.

Brilliant achievement unquestionably. It will never get the same accolades, of course, but it is 18 years for Serena Williams which is noteworthy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in terms of coming back from a slump; Darren Clark won the Open in 2011, 10 years after his previous top 10 finish in a major.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

George Foreman lost his title in 74 and regained “a” title in 94.

he won 2 of the belts, but was also the lineal champion; so he was legit champion the second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Why is it a stupid thing to say........tats and in particular those full arm/leg ones as Williams has are Absolutely hedious.....total ‘Chav’ symbols why sports people and celebs are obsessed with them is beyond me....it’s his own business and he can decorate his skin how he pleases But tats are beyond classless

You've already won the prize for most nonsense poster in this thread so I'm not surprised you come out with another doozey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

You've already won the prize for most nonsense poster in this thread so I'm not surprised you come out with another doozey.

Thanks for the compliments..........Still thinj tats are sh1t, Williams was probably in his 20's touring the world with loads of cash and got his arm done one night after a bender on a tour in Bangkok ? He probably has the money now to get it removed following his big win.

Snooker I think though has lots the mass appeal that it had during the 80's and 90's in this part of the world at least.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Did a big bag of cash influence the final I wonder? Wouldn’t be the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Jimmy Dags wrote: »

I think it did, I would be trying hard to win 425k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

I think it did, I would be trying hard to win 425k

What did he get as runner up? Add that to match fix money. Think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

What did he get as runner up? Add that to match fix money. Think about it.

And we have a new winner :rolleyes:

Advertisement