Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway not selling regular Pepsi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Parkman77

CeilingFly wrote: »
    parent company Glaxo Smithkline have a turnover in excess of $40 BILLION - I don't think they'll be overly worried :)

True that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, it doesn't work like that. They have that turnover because they don't keep money losing business! Also: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/apr/24/lucozade-ribena-sale-glaxosmithkline-gsk
    They sold the business at the first sign of decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

testicles wrote: »
    Sugar tax is the reason. They just couldn't be bothered having different prices for different drinks

Yep that’s why. Tbh the sugar free drinks taste way better imho.

Think of this. You’d have to drink 139 x 330ml cans of zero sugar Coca Cola to match the calories in 1 330ml can of regular Coca Cola and that’s excluding the 29g of sugar.

Type 2 diabetes (reversible condition btw) is bankrupting the HSE. Sugar tax didn’t go far enough imho. Chocolate and fast food should be taxed too.
    Consuming the sweet food which doesn't have carbs - can't fool your brain
    [font=roboto, sans-serif]Picture it like this: if you were to eat an entire box of low-calorie ice cream bars, your brain wouldn’t recognize the artificial sugars within the ice cream and therefore your body would still feel hungry. Your food craving would likely last until you started snacking on something that had enough calories to meet your energy demand.[/font]
    https://www.scienceworld.ca/blog/artificial-sweeteners-cant-trick-your-brain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Aspartame causes cancer.

Complete myth. Aspartame is harmless.
    Have you heard about Phenylalanine?

na1 wrote: »
    Consuming the sweet food which doesn't have carbs - can't fool your brain

https://www.scienceworld.ca/blog/artificial-sweeteners-cant-trick-your-brain

You're assuming that people drink a coke because they 'need' the carbs. You're also assuming the average person is below their required energy intake.

Artificially sweetened drinks are a useful way of reducing your consumption of unneeded excess calories. Of course, water is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Basil3 wrote: »
    You're assuming that people drink a coke because they 'need' the carbs. You're also assuming the average person is below their required energy intake.

Artificially sweetened drinks are a useful way of reducing your consumption of unneeded excess calories. Of course, water is better.

Yes but no subsititue. I know when I'm not drinking proper non diet drinks.

As for Lucozade, good. I hope they either reverse the decision or suffer the consequences, as currently I'd be ashamed to be seen with a bottle of whatever new mess of a recipe they've made it with. Ironically, I think the diet Lucozade takes more like the old original one than the current one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

CeilingFly wrote: »
    parent company Glaxo Smithkline have a turnover in excess of $40 BILLION - I don't think they'll be overly worried :)

Shareholders are though, and they're the ones who count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Just seen an American Coca Cola can in a store in Jervis. 44g of sugar :O holy puck. RDI is 90g.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Brae100 wrote: »
    I hate the taste of diet drinks.

I'm ok with some of them. I want to make clear it's some :)

My favourite drink is coke. Diet coke tastes nothing like coke. I had coke zero once and it was so disgusting I only had a few sips before throwing it away.

I find the diet fruit drinks like fanta and club taste about the same and I can drink them no problem.

Strangely although I prefer coke to pepsi I think pepsi max tastes better than any of the sugar free coke options.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Just seen an American Coca Cola can in a store in Jervis. 44g of sugar :O holy puck. RDI is 90g.

Where? love american coke but most places only have cherry or vanilla.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

gandalf wrote: »
    They don't serve real bread either. I honestly don't see the attraction eating in subway the taste and texture of their "food" is rank and the smell of it makes me gag whenever I walk past one.

Fake bread? In what way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Where? love american coke but most places only have cherry or vanilla.....

Londis Jervis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm ok with some of them. I want to make clear it's some :)

My favourite drink is coke. Diet coke tastes nothing like coke. I had coke zero once and it was so disgusting I only had a few sips before throwing it away.

I find the diet fruit drinks like fanta and club taste about the same and I can drink them no problem.

Strangely although I prefer coke to pepsi I think pepsi max tastes better than any of the sugar free coke options.

I agree 100%.

Diet coke is rotten. I enjoy Pepsi Max.

EPAndlee wrote: »
    People need to take responsibility for their own diets

But so many don't & won't, hospitals full & loads of cnuts that over ate and drank themselves to illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

tumblr_lrw54bQjH51qg78udo1_500.gif

Somebody explain why subways bread is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,879 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Fake bread? In what way?

It tastes really synthetic and sugary.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I agree 100%.

It’s odd that taking away sugar from a drink changes it so much. But yes Diet Coke is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

It’s odd that taking away sugar from a drink changes it so much. But yes Diet Coke is horrible.

My girlfriend demands we share diet coke at the cinema and it would annoy me as its ****e. Then the cinemw stopped selling coke for whatever reason so we share a Pepsi Max and its decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

For some reason I find subway more offensive than other American fast food franchises. It's fast food for cowards.

• Advertisement

Somebody explain why subways bread is fake.

It isn't, they are talking nonsense. Honey oat is my favourite, delicious!!

I was looking back over my subcard points history there and in last two years I've only missed having my weekly subway in less than 20 weeks out of 104 weeks :). Most of that would be while off for 2 weeks at Christmas or other holidays from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Diet drinks don’t contribute to obesity. I can attest to that. From 65kg, 32w to 5ft.8, 50kg (underweight) and these pants I’m wearing were bought in the children’s section of Dunnes Stores and I’ve still to use a belt.

A sample size of one. Convincing! Diet drinks cause insulin spikes just like full sugar varieties. That stimulates the appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I hardly ever go to subway and i don't drink Pepsi so i can't say I've noticed.

Chopped is crap. Even more of a deluded health halo than Subway. Avoid like the plague.

I’ve bought from Chopped twice. First time, didn’t opt for extra meat and basically just ate a container of lettuce. So little meat. I like lettuce but it was just too much. Next time, got the extra meat (which made it too expensive, IMO) and even then, the meat to greenery ratio was all off. So, I’m done with it. I don’t buy takeaway food of any kind very often anyway. Prefer my own cooking.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Good to know. I don't often go to Subway (not living in a large town can do that to you), but I am partial to their veggie patties on Italian herb & cheese. I'll bring my own drink when I go next time.

I wouldn't mind soft drinks just being less sweet - I'd be absolutely fine with that. But the artificially sweetened stuff tastes like chilled baby sick, it's vile. Something this disgusting just can't be good for you.

Ireland has very sweet soft drinks. Check out the kcal content for, say, Fanta in other countries and it’ll often be much lower. And it’s not that they’re replacing sugar with substitutes. The drinks will often be less sweet and nicer because of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

bazz26 wrote: »
    Those pesky people of Subway with their healthy soft drinks. :pac:

Fake sugar drinks are healthy? Sure :rolleyes:

_Dara_ wrote: »
    A sample size of one. Convincing! Diet drinks cause insulin spikes just like full sugar varieties. That stimulates the appetite.

Evidence to back up this claim? Here's a couple of studies to suggest otherwise regarding insulin spikes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2182973

Basil3 wrote: »
    Evidence to back up this claim? Here's a couple of studies to suggest otherwise regarding insulin spikes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2182973

Here one recent journal article on the topic, published in the Cell Metabolism journal.

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdfExtended/S1550-4131(16)30296-0?code=cell-site

I've read other stuff about it in the past but I'm far too lazy to do more digging.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Here one recent journal article on the topic, published in the Cell Metabolism journal.

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdfExtended/S1550-4131(16)30296-0?code=cell-site

I've read other stuff about it in the past but I'm far too lazy to do more digging.

Yeah, that study isn't on the sweeteners used in most soft drinks.

Regardless, whether an insulin spike results from drinking a diet drink with a subway meal is a bit of a moot point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Arguments like that centre around diet drinks creating sugar cravings or stimulating appetite - drinking a diet coke is inherently calorie free though, or even calorie burning considering the 1 or 2kcal value and what it would take your body to process it.

It still boils down to willpower.
    Fake sugar drinks are healthy? Sure

Well, healthier, contextually, but not healthy. Something doesn't have to be either healthy or bad - it can just sit in a neutral middle ground. Loads of foods occupy this area where they're neither healthy nor particularly bad, but some people seem to have to make things black or white.
    I agree 100%.

Pepsi Max is an incredible achievement for a sugar-free drink. A lot of people I know who wouldn't touch Diet Coke prefer it over Pepsi and didn't actually realise it's a sugar free option.

Advertisement