Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway not selling regular Pepsi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Brae100 wrote: »
    Ok. If the sugar tax is no real issue, why have Subway stopped offering non-diet drinks? What's the thinking behind it? I'm an adult and am capable of making dietary decisions for myself. What sort of nonsensical food seller has decided what they will or will not sell their product to me? I can no longer buy a Subway meal with a drink. You can have this sandwich as part of a meal, but only if you choose a drink with artificial sweetener.

I never said it wasn't an issue, it just won't have the desired affect. It's certainly an issue for businesses, especially those with standardized pricing on soft drinks.

Why did subway do it? God knows, seems like a truly stupid business decision to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Diet drinks are worse for you! Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Aspartame causes cancer.

Well to be fair it "causes cancer" rather than causing cancer. It's not proven or disproven.

But its still not god for you. I like subway but won't he going back there now. I'll tell them on social media first so they realise the impact of their decision.

Too many fad diets rulling sentiment these days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Pizza hut and some wetherspoons in the UK are doing the same apparently.

Artificial sweeteners taste disgusting and the long term health effects aren't known although evidence suggests they contribute to obesity and not the opposite. I won't be drinking them.

Luckily though I live in the good ol US of A where I can never see chains like subway doing this. I enjoy them once in a while, I'm not overweight and don't have any health problems, the same as most people who consume these drinks in moderation. Let people make their own choice

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote:
    Luckily though I live in the good ol US of A where I can never see chains like subway doing this. I enjoy them once in a while, I'm not overweight and don't have any health problems, the same as most people who consume these drinks in moderation. Let people make their own choice

Exactly. I consume fast food regularly but I am just under 12 stone and 5ft 8. Technically that is "overweight" but I don't look fat in any way.

Like anything, moderation is important and a personal responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Main reason is cost..............

Here's a graph on the price of sugar in comparison to artificial sweeteners.

xPrices_Intense_Sweeteners.jpg.pagespeed.ic.M_GE4UFBqx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,320 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What sort of business meeting went on where the consensus was, let's reduce the choice of product to the customer?

I hate the taste of diet drinks. I don't want to drink them, ever. This is a business turning away customers because it won't sell them a product that the customer wants.
    The one where they include free drinks with meals and it’d cost them extra money to pay the sugar tax on Pepsi. Anyway only culchies drink Pepsi. It’s coke all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Aspartame causes cancer.

Complete myth. Aspartame is harmless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Reminds me of the time I asked for Diet Coke and got Pepsi Max instead. Dunno why I didn't just end it all there and then, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Complete myth. Aspartame is harmless.

But I saw it on a captioned picture on facebook. IT HAS TO BE TRUE!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No butter to be had in Subway either. Which for a sambo shop is a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Pizza hut and some wetherspoons in the UK are doing the same apparently.

Artificial sweeteners taste disgusting and the long term health effects aren't known although evidence suggests they contribute to obesity and not the opposite. I won't be drinking them.

Diet drinks don’t contribute to obesity. I can attest to that. From 65kg, 32w to 5ft.8, 50kg (underweight) and these pants I’m wearing were bought in the children’s section of Dunnes Stores and I’ve still to use a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Diet drinks don’t contribute to obesity. I can attest to that. From 65kg, 32w to 5ft.8, 50kg (underweight) and these pants I’m wearing were bought in the children’s section of Dunnes Stores and I’ve still to use a belt.

Well the studies suggest that overall, they do. you can research it.

Consumption of artificial sweeteners, such as aspartame and sucralose, is widespread and increasing. Emerging data indicate that artificial, or nonnutritive, sweeteners may have negative effects on metabolism, gut bacteria and appetite, although the evidence is conflicting.

The trials did not show a consistent effect of artificial sweeteners on weight loss, and the longer observational studies showed a link between consumption of artificial sweeteners and relatively higher risks of weight gain and obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and other health issues.

Caution is warranted until the long-term health effects of artificial sweeteners are fully characterized," said lead author Dr. Meghan Azad, Assistant Professor, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Manitoba. Her team at the Children's Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba is undertaking a new study to understand how artificial sweetener consumption by pregnant women may influence weight gain, metabolism and gut bacteria in their infants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Main reason is cost..............

Here's a graph on the price of sugar in comparison to artificial sweeteners.

xPrices_Intense_Sweeteners.jpg.pagespeed.ic.M_GE4UFBqx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Go somewhere normal that isn't an overpriced American chain and buy a sandwich roll.

If for some reason you're intent on wasting money on a roll and you can't live without normal Pepsi, buy one can of Pepsi Max and keep the can. Whenever you're planning on going into Subway buy a Pepsi in a shop and pour the contents into the Pepsi Max can before entering Subway. Hide the can in a bag until you've ordered and no one is looking at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

All this diet drink problem is easily solved by bringing your own bag of sugar with you when you out to eat

Alternatively you can you use the restaurants own little sachets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Subway is declining hugely. After my non-diet drink trauma I did a bit of reading and discovered that the Subway franchise is in huge decline.

https://nypost.com/2017/10/22/subway-scrambles-to-understand-plunge-in-sales/

It must not have been that link you were reading because it says sales are down, but does not mention 'huge decline' whatsoever.

In fact the article says Subway still controls 75% of the sandwhich market.

Sales being down does not equal huge decline. Subway is perfectly healthy as a company/franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I can't see the appeal of subway - that smell is stomach churning, I hold my breath walking past their shops, it's worse than sewerage:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

Absolutely love subway, go every week without fail for my footlong BMT packed to the hilt with all the salads and lashings of honey mustard! Can't beat the 6 euro deal!

I always get Pepsi max anyway so this won't bother me but that being said as of last Friday they were still selling normal Pepsi in the subway I go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Pepsi is just sad coke

Hi John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

anewme wrote: »

Chopped seems to be opening up in place of Subway in a lot of spots but offering the same poor quality food with no providence.

:)

Provenance? (predictive text strikes again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is something about the place that reeks of failure, not a fan

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

IKEA also did that in 2016 or 2017, replacing all the regular soft drinks they were offering with low/no sugar Versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

No idea what a growth foot joint is?

Chopped seems to be opening up in place of Subway in a lot of spots but offering the same poor quality food with no providence. .

Chopped is crap. Even more of a deluded health halo than Subway. Avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Chopped seems to be opening up in place of Subway in a lot of spots but offering the same  poor quality food with no providence. .

Chopped is crap. Even more of a deluded health halo than Subway. Avoid like the plague.
    Always see fat people eating at Chopped. There's no helping some people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I knew a guy once his name was Pepsi....
    A bit of an intriguing geezer..

Always looked like he used talcum powder like snuff or something

I wonder how Pepsi is now.....

I thought this was going to turn into a limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think diet drinks taste sweeter than non-diet. That horrible artificial, foamy taste. Give me sugar any day, very rare I drinks fizzy drinks though anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Chopped seems to be opening up in place of Subway in a lot of spots but offering the same poor quality food with no providence. .

Unlike the Middle Eastern health-food chain, Inshallad?

Advertisement