Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway not selling regular Pepsi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

All those rolls in Subway seem to taste the same. Those portioned slices of meat look really grim as well. Can’t be good for you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My body used to reject synthetic sugar. But know I consider it aspartame.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Diet and non-diet soft drinks are both vile in my opinion, but at least the sugary ones only taste vile while they're in your mouth and not for several minutes afterwards like the diet ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My body used to reject synthetic sugar. But know I consider it aspartame.
    Out
    Off you go
    Out! :D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bluewolf wrote: »
    I thought this was going to turn into a limerick

I once knew a fella called Pepsi
    And instead of just taking the steps, he
    Jumped out through the window
    The wind blew him back in though
    And now he's as flat as a crepe, see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Might as well be the one that smugly suggests that the OP drink water instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I went into Pepsi the other day, and they weren't selling regular subways either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

My poisonous junk food tastes better than your dubiously healthier rubbish and I'm going to defend it vehemently because the marketing campaign has convinced me brand loyalty is vital to my personal identy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I purchased full fat pepsi as part of meal deal in the Subway in Navan last week.
    Is this a new development, as a fat person I enjoy full fat drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is it really?

Seems like there's a new one opening up in every street corner tbh.

Imo, all the other delis and what not try to emulate them, badly.

Hard to beat a good subway, meatballs, cheese few pickles and olives and the absolute icing on the cake, jalapenos.

Don't scrimp on the southwest sauce either yo. :cool:

As for the diet drinks, give me coke zero over ordinary coke all day every day.

Its been well documented that Subway especially in the USA is in serious decline with the closure of thousands of outlets. Its the same upper management that dictate what is and isn't sold here in Ireland as it is in the US and one of the key reasons for the decline in the US was the franchises refusal to allow new recipes, breads, etc etc

http://uk.businessinsider.com/subways-closes-stores-spirals-downwards-2017-12?r=US&IR=T

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

All palm oil . Stay away from it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sure the chicken isint even chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Its been well documented that Subway especially in the USA is in serious decline with the closure of thousands of outlets. Its the same upper management that dictate what is and isn't sold here in Ireland as it is in the US and one of the key reasons for the decline in the US was the franchises refusal to allow new recipes, breads, etc etc

http://uk.businessinsider.com/subways-closes-stores-spirals-downwards-2017-12?r=US&IR=T

What I seen in the USA was a lot of franchises would open in the same towns and basically compete with each other selling the exact same product.

One town I was in Michigan about the equivalent of Clonmel, Thurles, portlaoise etc (large urban areas by Irish standards) has 3 or 4 subways in the same town. Circa 15k people served by that many subways. Few cities in Ireland would have that many subways never mind towns.

There’s an episode of the (zombie) Simpsons which references this subject about franchisees holders drove out of business by an other holder opening down the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The full sugar soft drink issue is definitely a sugar tax issue (introduced in uk last week and being introduced in Ireland on 1st may - postponed from 6th April for tax return timing purposes)

In tesco the full sugar drinks have had their shelf space decimated with diet drinks taking far more space.

On the subway closing issue - they simply have far too many stores esp in America where they have 10,000 more than McDonald's. They'll always have a market, but not for the number of stores they have.

Btw, dawn foods in Naas supply almost all the meat products to all subways in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Everyone is paying for the fact Carol from finglas can't keep the wispas out of her mouth

Ok so this comment right here has to be one of the funniest things I’ve read on boards.

I tip my hat to you sir. Well played.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Subway is meh....I might have the very odd one but I loathe the so called “diet” soft drinks. The taste of aspartame is vile.

There’s an awful lot of Subways here in Ireland too. Could there be more Subway outlets here than McDonalds? I wouldn’t be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'm stocking up on Irn Bru before all the original recipe cans are gone, replaced by the low sugar swill..

You are too late. All the IRN BRU in Dublin that I have seen is the low sugar piss water version.

I wont be buying it again and I am Scottish so that shows bad it tastes now!I

Barrs will do a uturn hopefully as the sales are plummeting in Scotland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I prefer the taste of Diet Coke over regular Coke, tastes more like Pepsi...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

prinzeugen wrote: »
    You are too late. All the IRN BRU in Dublin that I have seen is the low sugar piss water version.

I wont be buying it again and I am Scottish so that shows bad it tastes now!I

Barrs will do a uturn hopefully as the sales are plummeting in Scotland.

Same thing with Lucozade, takes like pure pi$$ now too. They reported a decrease in revenue last year of nearly €30m because of the change. I really cannot understand the stance these companies have taken, why not give customers the choice of whether to spend extra on the same drink they love rather than charge the exact same thing for a 'sugared down' alternative? It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What was the average price of a bottle of luzoade, €1.80 I think? I don't know how much of an increase the sugar tax is bringing in per unit, but let's say it was increased to €2.50 (probably wouldn't have been as much but let's just say). Now I certainly wouldn't be going out buying a bottle every day for that price, but I'd still buy maybe 2 bottles a week and still enjoy the same drink I've loved for god knows how many years. I'm sure you would be the same with Irn Bru. I don't think the words exist to describe how idiotic this choice was, and by quite a few companies as well.

I just gave a quick google actually, and it turns out that Lucozade's loss in value has actually been over €60m, while sales of Red Bull have apparently shot up! In fairness to Red Bull (have never drank it thank god but anyway), they've kept their original formula but are also selling low and zero sugar alternatives as well. How Lucozade and even Irn Bru did the completely wrong and senseless thing is just.... I don't even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

The smell that comes out of Subway is awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Chopped is crap. Even more of a deluded health halo than Subway. Avoid like the plague.

Yeah, massive rip. Shìt food masquerading as healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

ELM327 wrote: »
    I purchased full fat pepsi as part of meal deal in the Subway in Navan last week.
    Is this a new development, as a fat person I enjoy full fat drinks.

I have even heard a few health documentaries talk about full fat soft drinks even though they don't contain any fat. All the calories come from sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Lucozade move I think will become one of those decisions that will become case studies in schools or colleges. The raison d'etre for getting Lucozade was for the sugar/glucose, generations of kids were given it when they were sick. After heavy exercise or when feeling wrecked the sugar was welcome.
    A pharmacist in Newcastle formulated Lucozade in 1927. He wanted something to help his children during times when they might be suffering from a cold or the flu. He formulated a palatable, easily digestible glucose drink that could help recovery from sickness by providing them with energy when they did not feel like eating food.
    Read more at https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/superbrands-case-studies-lucozade/232378?src_site=brandrepublic#ZMdK2rOuGGifv1oc.99

Sure, there's people who drank it who were couch potatoes, but in one move Lucozade took themselves out of a particular market. Did they do market research as to why and when people drank it, [Maude Flanders] and did nobody think of the poor diabetics who use it [/Maude Flanders]?

https://www.diabetes.ie/lucozade-energy-is-changing/
    People who have been recommended to drink Lucozade Energy Original when their blood glucose is low should be aware that the formulation of the drink is changing from April 2017 and this will not be advertised on the bottle.

Lucozade Energy Original will now contain around 50% less glucose-based carbohydrates, so the amount needed to treat hypoglycaemia will change.

Hypoglycaemia, often referred to as a ‘hypo’, can be a side-effect of insulin and taking some diabetes medications. A blood glucose level below 4mmol/L is considered hypoglycaemia and if you have frequent low blood glucose levels, you should talk to your doctor as your medication may need to be reduced.

If you are concerned about whether this affects you, check with your pharmacist or doctor/diabetes team to see if any of your diabetes medications puts you at risk of a low blood glucose.

Normal guidelines for treating a ‘hypo’ are:

Step 1:

Check your blood glucose if you are feeling shaky or unwell and if it is less than 4mmols/l, take some fast acting carbohydrate immediately, e.g. A glass (150 mls) of non-diet mineral/sugary drink or 150mls fruit juice or three to four glucose sweets, dextrose or Lucozade tablets

Lucozade-PR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

jaxxx wrote: »
    Same thing with Lucozade, takes like pure pi$$ now too. They reported a decrease in revenue last year of nearly €30m because of the change.

They've basically tanked.
    Lucozade has lost the title of Britain’s biggest energy drink brand to rival Red Bull following a backlash over its reformulation.

Lucozade Energy has lost £62.6m in value over the past year - the largest loss in the soft drinks category - as consumers turned away from the new lower-sugar formula.

According to IRI figures, Energy’s value sales were down 18.6% to £273.6m, while volumes fell 18.9% to 162 million litres, after Lucozade changed the recipe last April to avoid the levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Parkman77

Hurrache wrote: »
    They've basically tanked.

That’s some serious financial hit that Lucozade have taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Parkman77 wrote: »

Here's hoping they keep tanking until they wake up and reverse the decision, or go bye-bye. IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!

My.... my precious.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pepsi Max would be my choice anyway and I do like a meatball marinara on Italian bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Our staff canteen is much the same... about a year ago now they decided that the menus needed to be "healthier" and did away with regular Coke, and most of the snacks.

It's like being in school.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Good to know. I don't often go to Subway (not living in a large town can do that to you), but I am partial to their veggie patties on Italian herb & cheese. I'll bring my own drink when I go next time.

I wouldn't mind soft drinks just being less sweet - I'd be absolutely fine with that. But the artificially sweetened stuff tastes like chilled baby sick, it's vile. Something this disgusting just can't be good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Parkman77 wrote: »

parent company Glaxo Smithkline have a turnover in excess of $40 BILLION - I don't think they'll be overly worried :)

Advertisement