Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Misrepresentation

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Replying here as it seems more appropriate:

Transamerica? I thought it was cliched and full of tropes, to be honest. It was released nearly 14 years ago, so I give the casting decision a little leeway - I guess for the time it was somewhat positive, at least having a woman play the part, and not a man. Hollywood has gone backwards not forwards since. So, overall, it's really depressing.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jul/09/third-class-citizens-trans-actors-see-stereotyping-and-exclusion-in-hollywood

And this is from an interview with Hilary Swank from the Guardian, and she nails it.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/30/hilary-swank-on-grit-love-trans-rights-and-her-three-year-screen-break?CMP=fb_gu

So yeah, I would be more open to your argument of best actor for the role, if there was equal opportunity for trans actors in the first place, but there is not. Trans actors can't even get auditions for trans (our own) roles, and we certainly will not be considered for cis roles. And if you think that is fair, well you need to reevaluate some things. Truth is, we are not anywhere near that point, and so, no, I can't agree when you say the best actor for the role.

And if you think this is only a problem in Hollywood you are very wrong. It's an attitude that trickles down in society that deters trans people from even participating in acting. I, personally, have been deterred from trying out things like theatre and drama because of the general attitude towards trans people.

And to the last question: no, I have not seen George and Julia. For historical reference purposes I may seek it out at some point. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, say there was a level playing field in regards to trans actors having roles and they were as mainstream as cis actors, would you be ok with inter changing roles eg. Trans playing cis and cis playing trans or do you believe trans roles should be kept soley for trans actors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

sexmag wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, say there was a level playing field in regards to trans actors having roles and they were as mainstream as cis actors, would you be ok with inter changing roles eg. Trans playing cis and cis playing trans or do you believe trans roles should be kept soley for trans actors?

Yes, as long as trans roles were played with dignity and were not the butt of all jokes, then of course; Cis play trans and trans playing cis. Perfectly okay, as long as it were a level playing field and done with respect for the material. This is exactly what we are asking for in the longrun. I shared a video that says this exactly a while back on this thread.

But I can't ignore that we are nowhere near that point, and paradies and tropes of trans character being portrayed by cis people are still all too prevalent I'm afraid.

Advertisement