Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Misrepresentation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

sexmag wrote: »
    There's no trolling, you sound just like trans people's biggest antagonist TRUMP, when people argue with him he shouts fake news to try and deflect.

A yes another actor is bullied out of a doing a role by the professionally enraged.

This is the thing about actors....their job is too act, scarlet Johansson is paid to pretend to be someone else on film, that's her job, should we have got an actual male hooker to play midnight cowboy, should we have got actual heroin addicts to act in requiem for a dream, should we have got an actual drug Lord to act in scarface?

No because actors are paid to portray roles because they are good at it

I think you are missing the point here and I am getting it myself now when the part looks for a male actor they look for a male actor and only male actors when its a female part they look only for females so when it is a trans part should they not look only for transactors

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Yes, you are being pedantic. Bye now. :)

Sorry was meant to be a bit of a joke as I am now on your side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Yep. That's it exactly. An equal playing field for all :)

So you complain about people playing trans characters and then want a trans person, who considers him/herself as another gender to be able to play the opposite gender to what they think they are.

That's hypocrisy of the highest order!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I have just handed out a 3 day ban, a red card and a yellow card. Can everyome please refrain from personal remarks, transphobic remarks and back seat modding

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

So you complain about people playing trans characters and then want a trans person, who considers him/herself as another gender to be able to play the opposite gender to what they think they are.

What?

Seriously, just what?

Won't reply to you again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I would disagree is that Tom Hanks or Daniel Day Lewis should lose there oscars

I'd largely agree with you on that. No point in going back into the past. Let's move on and do it better from today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What?

Seriously, just what?

Won't reply to you again.

Was it too complicated for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Is it just me or is that utterly insane??
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anger-as-straight-man-jack-whitehall-gets-homosexual-role-t5xc655kj

Are the Snowflakes ever satisfied? Literally searching for things to be offended by. It's a Disney movie. How can a grown adult be offended by this. It's beyond belief!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

Blue Magic wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/anger-as-straight-man-jack-whitehall-gets-homosexual-role-t5xc655kj

Are the Snowflakes ever satisfied? Literally searching for things to be offended by. It's a Disney movie. How can a grown adult be offended by this. It's beyond belief!

The idea that the best person to act as x is x is so questionable. Acting is a form of public identity exploration and an outsider can be excellent for this because they will be self-aware of the identity in a way an insider won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Exactly, just because you are gay doesn't give you an automatic pass to the front to play a gay character just the same way bring straight or trans doesn't give you that benefit either.

Acting is about acting,not about your personal life and the way you live your life

• Advertisement

I always find it deeply ironic when people get outraged about outrage.

It doesnt offend me but I think people raising the issue of lgbt actors not getting roles is a perfectly valid comment to make.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It doesnt offend me but I think people raising the issue of lgbt actors not getting roles is a perfectly valid comment to make.

Why though?

Being cast in a movie is based on how you good are as an actor for that particular character, being gay doesnt automatically make you a good candidate for this role.

Look at The Birdcage, hank azaria and robin williams both straight played gay characters along with nathan lane who is gay, nobody else could spring to mind that could bring those characters to life like they did.

Why though?

Being cast in a movie is based on how you good are as an actor for that particular character, being gay doesnt automatically make you a good candidate for this role.

Look at The Birdcage, hank azaria and robin williams both straight played gay characters along with nathan lane who is gay, nobody else could spring to mind that could bring those characters to life like they did.

I didnt say lgbt actors should or must be cast in lgbt roles at all. You have misinterpreted me. I am making an observation that lgbt actors do not get roles in general. Its perfectly reasonable to make that observation and question if there is discrimination.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I always find it deeply ironic when people get outraged about outrage.

It may be perfectly acceptable to raise the issue of LGBT actors not getting good roles but it's not right that people are hounded out of their job/livelihood for accepting a role that some people believe should have gone to a LGBT+ actor, eg Scarlett Johansson.

I didnt say lgbt actors should or must be cast in lgbt roles at all. You have misinterpreted me. I am making an observation that lgbt actors do not get roles in general. Its perfectly reasonable to make that observation and question if there is discrimination.

But there isnt a discrimination against LGBT actors

I really dont why there is a need for this list as i find it unnecessary but here

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls056609117/

This is a list of influential LGBT actors(i dont use the term actresses as acting is profession and it covers all people who work under the title) All of which would be considered hollywood royalty, Ian McKellen being a personal favourite of mine

I really dont why there is a need for this list as i find it unnecessary but here

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls056609117/

This is a list of influential LGBT actors(i dont use the term actresses as acting is profession and it covers all people who work under the title) All of which would be considered hollywood royalty, Ian McKellen being a personal favourite of mine

That's a list of mostly very good looking people. That's the number one criteria for being in a Hollywood film. Acting skills usually comes in second.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    That's a list of mostly very good looking people. That's the number one criteria for being in a Hollywood film. Acting skills usually comes in second.

I dont know, im not one to judge but in my opinion theres a quite a lot of great acting ugly looking people in hollywood, im not saying the pretty doesnt help them but to say theres a discrimination against people of the LGBT community and roles is not true when you see the list of people i put up there, all people who frequent roles constantly. Ruby Rose being the new bat woman will be cool, i think she will play the character well as thats the type of tough bada$$ role she likes and that has literraly nothing to do with her sexuality

I dont know, im not one to judge but in my opinion theres a quite a lot of great acting ugly looking people in hollywood, im not saying the pretty doesnt help them but to say theres a discrimination against people of the LGBT community and roles is not true when you see the list of people i put up there, all people who frequent roles constantly. Ruby Rose being the new bat woman will be cool, i think she will play the character well as thats the type of tough bada$$ role she likes and that has literraly nothing to do with her sexuality

Yes, there are ugly actors who make a living in Hollywood but they generally don't earn as much as the good looking ones.

Here's a list of the highest grossing actresses in Hollywood last year. I've added in my own subjective view on their looks.

10. Amy Adams: $11.5 million - Very good looking
    8. Julia Roberts: $12 million (TIE) - Very good looking
    8. Cate Blanchett: $12 million (TIE) - Ok looking
    6. Charlize Theron: $14 million (TIE) - Very good looking
    6. Emma Watson: $14 million (TIE) - Very good looking
    5. Mila Kunis: $15.5 million - Very good looking
    4. Melissa McCarthy: $18 million - No comment
    3. Jennifer Lawrence: $24 million - Very good looking
    2. Jennifer Aniston: $25.5 million - Very good looking
    1. Emma Stone: $26 million - Very good looking

Anyway, apologies for derailing the thread.

For the record, Ruby Rose wouldn't be out of place in a list of good looking people. She's very attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,213 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have no issue at all with Jack Whitehall being cast to voice a gay character....
    Jonathan Groff an openly gay man voiced Kristoff in frozen....its not as if he stole a job from a straight person.

I do however have issue with the first openly gay character in a disney animation perpetuating stereotypes, in that the character will be "hugely effete, very camp", come on like in this day and age zzz.

Also not to mention Ruby Rose.....is a f#cking BRUTAL actress...literally a charisma vacuum on screen, she is stealing a living. I think if anything in her case her sexuality has escalated her for no real reason to be well known.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It may be perfectly acceptable to raise the issue of LGBT actors not getting good roles but it's not right that people are hounded out of their job/livelihood for accepting a role that some people believe should have gone to a LGBT+ actor, eg Scarlett Johansson.

Ah come on now Scarlett Johansson still has lots of opportunities.

Terry Pratchet

Thats a completely debatable point. I'm not sure why you make it as a statement as if it is "truth"

Here we see Ian McKellen acknowledging Hollywoods biases

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/8457623/sir-ian-mckellen-talks-lgbtq-discrimination-hollywood-interview

Here we can see research that shows there is discrimnation against lgbt actors

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sag-aftra_williams_lgbt_study_4.22_update.pdf

You're just making statements that make no sense

Terry Pratchet

Ah come on now Scarlett Johansson still has lots of opportunities.

You could put that argument to any person and any job.

Sure you give up that job for someone due to pressure, sure theres plenty out there :rolleyes:

Thats a completely debatable point. I'm not sure why you make it as a statement as if it is "truth"

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/8457623/sir-ian-mckellen-talks-lgbtq-discrimination-hollywood-interview

Debateable yes but if it was clear discrimination then there would be uproar about it and not just people picking choosing what they want to be offended by, im talking harvey winstein scandal type of coverage.

Plenty of people in the LGBT comunnity get work and not because of their identity and sexuallity but because they are bloody good at acting and doing their job

You could put that argument to any person and any job.

Sure you give up that job for someone due to pressure, sure theres plenty out there :rolleyes:

Not really. Its not any situation. That was the example.

Terry Pratchet

Debateable yes but if it was clear discrimination then there would be uproar about it and not just people picking choosing what they want to be offended by, im talking harvey winstein scandal type of coverage.

Plenty of people in the LGBT comunnity get work and not because of their identity and sexuallity but because they are bloody good at acting and doing their job

And plenty don't because they are LGBT. I'm not sure why you want to deny that. You're even admitting it yourself. Seems like you just want to rant at us really.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

gmisk wrote:
    Also not to mention Ruby Rose.....is a f#cking BRUTAL actress...literally a charisma vacuum on screen, she is stealing a living. I think if anything in her case her sexuality has escalated her for no real reason to be well known.

All of the backlash I've seen against Ruby has been for outing Demi Lovato a few years ago.

(She is also a brutal actor though)

All of the backlash I've seen against Ruby has been for outing Demi Lovato a few years ago.

(She is also a brutal actor though)
    I havent even heard that story tbh, but thats a pretty crappy thing to do, a person is allowed a private life and she has always been a big ally of LGBT+ people.

She is Horrendous...literally the worst actor in the meg...and that is saying something!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭An_Toirpin

A study of 2014 films found LGBT depeicted in 16 percent of Hollywood films but less than 4% of the USA is gay.

• Advertisement

An_Toirpin wrote: »
    A study of 2014 films found LGBT depeicted in 16 percent of Hollywood films but less than 4% of the USA is gay.

And? I dont know how that answers the point I made.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement