Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Connors is a bit of a wanker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

mattser wrote: »
    Can we not just focus on Johnny Connors being a bit of a wanker lads?

Well the LLS audience didn't seem to think so.
    Ah well that’s alright then.

The gibbering, mouthbreating wretches that comprise the audience of a show hosted by a chicken-****, govsh1te recipient of nepotism and cronyism received the unhelpful, disgusting contributions of a talentless, half-witted pet scumbag of the looney, misguided and rabid left of Ireland well...

All good so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Where was that supposed to be on?

https://whaletheatre.ie/2018/05/stepping-out-of-the-stereotype/

He'd just won some award so probably had bigger fish to fry..

Or was still on the lash..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

That’s because there are usually asleep, and then 2-3 guys run around in front of them waving their arms and telling them to clap

So you've been there yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Edgelord :D:D

It is absolutely nothing like the word nígger, nothing at all.

I don't personally know too many Pakistanis to be honest with you!
    A girl I had a brief fling with years ago and a family who rent an apartment off me is the sum total of my Pakistani aquaintances!
    I wouldn't call or address anybody as "Paki" - how could that be anything but derogatory? But I would have zero problem with describing them as one - it is after all what they are!

Of course intent comes in to it, don't be ridiculous!
    Yes it can be used as a racial slur, but it can also be used differently.

Or Pakis for short!

You don't think the word Brit can be used derogatorily?
    It comes down to our old friend intent again!

"Jaysus, I wouldn't go to magaluf, it's full of brits" - doesn't sound like a compliment to me!

So let me get this straight, you're saying that intent can change the meaning of the word?:confused:

Sorry SB but the word Paki is a racial slur, my wife is Bangladeshi and she has been called a Paki. It was not meant as an abbreviation.

I know a lot of Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi people and none of them would like being called a Paki.
    In this regard you don't get to determine whether someone takes it as worse than the n word. Because to many people it is a very derogatory term.

The fact that you knew one Pakistani person once and you wouldn't refer to them as such to their face suggests to me that you know that it's a racial slur.

It's disingenuous to say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Having a read through his Twitter it's clear he seems quite angry and I reckon dangerous if you were around him and you said something that he might not agree with.

Pity as I thought when he first made breakthrough that he may be different. I don't have problem with him trying back Travellers rights as I know they're some good ones out there, but they're a very high percentage who are just scum of the earth. I only lived Mile from Halting Site and I remember as a kid having my father and neighbours having to wake up at night to protect our personal belongings and living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Edgelord :D:D

It is absolutely nothing like the word nígger, nothing at all.

I don't personally know too many Pakistanis to be honest with you!
    A girl I had a brief fling with years ago and a family who rent an apartment off me is the sum total of my Pakistani aquaintances!
    I wouldn't call or address anybody as "Paki" - how could that be anything but derogatory? But I would have zero problem with describing them as one - it is after all what they are!

I never said that Paki and n*gger mean the same. I said that 'n*gger' is also an abbreviation of the word negro which is basically the defence you're offering for using the term Paki, namely that it's simply a shortening of an innocuous word.

As you said yourself, you don't know any Pakistanis but yet feel entirely comfortable deciding what words they would or wouldn't mind being referred to as. The history of the use of the word 'Paki' isn't a good one, it's a slur. If you used that term around British Asians of any hue you'd be pulled up on it straight away.

You're just doing mental gymnastics and being a pedant for the sake of it. I dunno is it because you think you're making some sort of stand against political correctness or whatever but the reality is that you're just jumping up and down over your perceived right to call people racial slurs.

By all means go around calling people Pakis or Chinks or whatever, but don't pretend you don't know what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Zadkiel wrote: »

The fact that you knew one Pakistani person once and you wouldn't refer to them as such to their face suggests to me that you know that it's a racial slur.

It's disingenuous to say otherwise.

I'm not being disingenuous at all. Of course I know it can be (and often is) used as a racial slur. My point is it can also be used otherwise, and it can.

If I was to describe your wife to someone as "zadkiels wife is a Paki" - it would be the same as me describing someones Canadian wife as a yank, a simple mistake, I would have no malicious intent whatsoever. I have absolutely nothing against Pakistanis, or Bangladeshis or anyone else for that matter. I just would not be using it as an insult - that's the truth.

If I was to shout at her in the street "Hey, Paki" that would be a slur and I indeed would be an asshole for doing so, that's why I wouldn't do it.

I just don't see the contradiction to be perfectly honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

I'm not being disingenuous at all. Of course I know it can be (and often is) used as a racial slur. My point is it can also be used otherwise, and it can.

If I was to describe your wife to someone as "zadkiels wife is a Paki" - it would be the same as me describing someones Canadian wife as a yank, a simple mistake, I would have no malicious intent whatsoever. I have absolutely nothing against Pakistanis, or Bangladeshis or anyone else for that matter. I just would not be using it as an insult - that's the truth.

If I was to shout at her in the street "Hey, Paki" that would be a slur and I indeed would be an asshole for doing so, that's why I wouldn't do it.

I just don't see the contradiction to be perfectly honest with you.

But its not the same, you know that calling someone a Yank has no negative connotations and actively describing someone as a Paki is very very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

That’s because there are usually asleep, and then 2-3 guys run around in front of them waving their arms and telling them to clap

The days of LLS audiences making a meaningful contribution to any discussion are long gone. They are there now to provide applause or some fluffy item such as a granny who loves male strippers or somesuch.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I never said that Paki and n*gger mean the same. I said that 'n*gger' is also an abbreviation of the word negro which is basically the defence you're offering for using the term Paki, namely that it's simply a shortening of an innocuous word..

Nígger is longer than negro! It's not an abbreviation of anything - it's an insult, it was only ever an insult. It is simply not the same thing at all.
    Brit, Scot, Ausssie - they are the same things.
    As you said yourself, you don't know any Pakistanis but yet feel entirely comfortable deciding what words they would or wouldn't mind being referred to as. The history of the use of the word 'Paki' isn't a good one, it's a slur. If you used that term around British Asians of any hue you'd be pulled up on it straight away...

Only a fúckwit would insist on using a term that was clearly insulting someone they were talking too - even if no insult was intended. Of course I wouldn't speak to people like that.
    You're just doing mental gymnastics and being a pedant for the sake of it. I dunno is it because you think you're making some sort of stand against political correctness or whatever but the reality is that you're just jumping up and down over your perceived right to call people racial slurs..

Maybe that's what it is. I pretty much hate political correctness. I'm not claiming a right to anything. I wouldn't set out to offend anyone, but I also wouldn't be as shocked and horrified as you are to hear a simple word and I have enough cop on to be able to differentiate between the intent behind words.

"Look at that Paki girl, she's gorgeous"
    "I wish those Pakis would fúck off home"

If someone can't differentiate the intent in those statements then they're either an idiot or a liar.
    y all means go around calling people Pakis or Chinks or whatever, but don't pretend you don't know what you're doing.

I know full well what I'm doing, how about you stop pretending that you don't?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No, you don't need to be, every now and again, the director will switch to a camera as the back of the audience, and stage, and you'll see the guy with a note pad, waving his arms!!

all live shows have them!!

But its not the same, you know that calling someone a Yank has no negative connotations and actively describing someone as a Paki is very very different.

It may have negative connotations, or it may not depending on the intent and the context - that's all I'm saying.

If I was to meet your wife I'd hardly go calling her Paki to her face, you don't need to describe someone to themselves! I can't off hand think of an example where it would even come up, except when describing her to someone else and I just don't see the problem there, I honestly don't. (Apart from that is I now know she's from Bangladesh!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

No, you don't need to be, every now and again, the director will switch to a camera as the back of the audience, and stage, and you'll see the guy with a note pad, waving his arms!!

This standing ovation thing is a cod altogether, i saw a bit last week and the audience were up and down like yoyos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

calling someone a Yank has no negative connotations

Try calling someone a yank in Texas sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Of course intent comes in to it, don't be ridiculous!
    Yes it can be used as a racial slur, but it can also be used differently.

No. Intent does not come in to it. The word Paki is only recognised as a racial slur (offensive slang).

Just because you have been throwing it around willy nilly says more about you than anything else.
    You don't think the word Brit can be used derogatorily?
    It comes down to our old friend intent again!

"Jaysus, I wouldn't go to magaluf, it's full of brits" - doesn't sound like a compliment to me!

Brits is a shortened word to signify a nation of people. It has no racial connotations.
    So let me get this straight, you're saying that intent can change the meaning of the word?:confused:

No that's not what I said. What I said was that certain words have wider uses and are therefore not regarded as a racial slur towards one minority group or race.

I can see english isn't your strong point.

STB. wrote: »

I can see english isn't your strong point.

Maybe it's not!

I never meant it as any form of insult and that's the truth.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

There's more than one John Connor? What's Skynet playing at???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Well he must have been doing some arm flailing when Connors was talking, because they seemed to be loving every word.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was at it once years ago.
    There's a lad who faces the audience and starts the clapping while encouraging the audience to do likewise. They instinctively do.
    I didn't as I didn't appreciate the rubbish I was asked to applaud but everyone else did. The wife actually nudged me to clap as I probably stood out but I didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Well he must have been doing some arm flailing when Connors was talking, because they seemed to be loving every word.

Did they? I didn't hear anyone clapping or cheering or anything. I imagine if it cut to the audience, you'd be having a few Springtime for Hitler expressions going on-nobody siding with him.

Or any of them, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

STB. wrote: »
    No. Intent does not come in to it. The word Paki is only recognised as a racial slur (offensive slang).

It depends what country you're in. In the UK and Ireland it's considered a racial slur. In NZ and Australia it's an abbreviation for Pakistani.

Genuine question (I'm not Irish) is knacker a derogatory term for travellers? I always thought it was for all scumbags, criminals, dole scroungers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Genuine question (I'm not Irish) is knacker a derogatory term for travellers? I always thought it was for all scumbags, criminals, dole scroungers.

Its both!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭aroundthehouse

wonder who would win in a sh1te talk off, johnny connors or paddy doherty?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

wonder who would win in a sh1te talk off, johnny connors or paddy doherty?

Easily the former-the latter fella doesn't get a minute of air time since Gypsy Weddings, or whatever was axed.

On the other hand the Late Late, or Ray D'arcy, have absolutely no chance of getting a decent guest (Graham Norton is doing the business for the UK and Ireland) so John Connors can just walk onto the LLS set and spew a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I see this deluded arsehole is hinting at a run in the Aras, as if he'd run anywhere :pac:

https://twitter.com/johnconnors1990/status/1056200423139409920

Mind you, the first reply is as cutting as anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Oh man his Twitter is unreal. Bitter c*nt. Some folks on it ready to call him on his sh1te though.

As I predicted racist Casey would finish 2nd place. 1% to 21% in just over a week achieved with hate. Wait till the next elections. Lets see how many follow the Casey way. I'm finished with Ireland. I'm giving up trying to make it a better place. **** it. #RacistIreland

These responses are king.

@antoslats

Replying to @johnconnors1990
    Giving up trying to make ireland a better place... like calling the national police force scum on national television or encouraging youths to rob supermarkets...

@DanielCasey89

A better place? Start with your own. Tell them stop robbing, threatening & beating people. Tell them stop leaving areas in a **** heap of clothes & rubbish for others to clean. Tell them to stop keeping animals starving & beating them to death. He went from 1-21 for a reason.

@bokane82

Do you want a lift to the airport John? Best of luck in your next charter, hope whatever country you end up in provides you with the free house, acre of land and whatever stables you desire....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

He’s a pure scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

See ya John..

Don’t come back..

There’s a good lad..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

If he’s a voice for the travelling community then I see no hope EVER for a time when any meaningful integration or even tolerance is achieved within Irish society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Be a bit awkward being a Traveller when he wants to settle down in the Aras!

Regardless of Mr Connors ethnicity, he has repeatedly shown himself to be bitter, small minded scumbag.
    Wonder if "No fixed abode" can be used as an address on the nomination paperwork?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement