Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a simple side-passage gate secure?

Options
  • 10-04-2018 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Say you have a simple side-passage gate like the one on the picture and you need to make sure ppl climbing over it won't be able to open it / take it off to steal heavy valuables from your back garden that they could not lift over the gate.

Can you give me some practical advice on what to do?

I'm thinking:

- Reinforce the mounting of the gate. It seems way too easy to take it off with some simple tools. It needs to be very-very time consuming.
    - Install a serious lock system that slides into the ground / walls / etc... on at least 5-9 points. Again, needs to be very-very time consuming to take off, break or hack, even with angle grinders.
    - Cover with wood so that it's not see-through at least

I'm struggling to find such serious lock systems on the internet or examples of seriously mounted gates / etc....

Thanks for any hints / links / advice.

double-ring-side-gate-dublin-BD-Gates-Railings-1024x576.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

This post has been deleted.

It's not my house on the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

xboxdad wrote: »
    Hello,

Say you have a simple side-passage gate like the one on the picture and you need to make sure ppl climbing over it won't be able to open it / take it off to steal heavy valuables from your back garden that they could not lift over the gate.

Can you give me some practical advice on what to do?

I'm thinking:

- Reinforce the mounting of the gate. It seems way too easy to take it off with some simple tools. It needs to be very-very time consuming.
    - Install a serious lock system that slides into the ground / walls / etc... on at least 5-9 points. Again, needs to be very-very time consuming to take off, break or hack, even with angle grinders.
    - Cover with wood so that it's not see-through at least

I'm struggling to find such serious lock systems on the internet or examples of seriously mounted gates / etc....

Thanks for any hints / links / advice.

I would put a steel sheet on the back of it to stop it being so easy to see past.

Consider fitting a CCTV camera.

You could get a metal bar and lock it on one side as a reinforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

If you have anything heavy that you want to stop anyone taking anchor it well, twice if needs be, the gate is only part of the solution.

Also keep it out of plain sight from the front or from someone looking over your wall/gate. Less scum that know it's there the better.

colm_c wrote: »
    If you have anything heavy that you want to stop anyone taking anchor it well, twice if needs be, the gate is only part of the solution.

Also keep it out of plain sight from the front or from someone looking over your wall/gate. Less scum that know it's there the better.

Thanks, I got these parts covered in my plans. The only part I have no solution for is the gate. Say they already angle-grinded the chains/locks, it's only the gate that can stop them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Steel plate seems a good solution to stop people seeing through. If you leave out crumbs you'll get rats as the saying goes. Really though you're p!55ing against the wind there securing the gate when the wall is the same height.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that if someone is going through the bother to deconstruct the gate they be better off just lifting whatever they wanted over the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If somebody is willing to bring an angle grinder and make all that noise to get into your garden... I am not sure anything would stop them? What exactly are you worried will be stolen... have you bars of gold in the garden?

Steel plate seems a good solution to stop people seeing through. If you leave out crumbs you'll get rats as the saying goes. Really though you're p!55ing against the wind there securing the gate when the wall is the same height.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that if someone is going through the bother to deconstruct the gate they be better off just lifting whatever they wanted over the wall.

It's like 200kg they'd need to lift over the wall.

mloc123 wrote: »
    If somebody is willing to bring an angle grinder and make all that noise to get into your garden... I am not sure anything would stop them? What exactly are you worried will be stolen... have you bars of gold in the garden?

Ok, I was trying to avoid putting too much info in here as it's about security :) ...but I guess I can say this much:

- It's about motorbike security
    - The story usually starts with a car following you home from work so they know the bike is in there without having to see it inside
    - They probably can't lift 200kg above the wall/gate in a way that the bike is still useful for them
    - Will have a ground anchor with almax chain and disc locks. It's like 3 minutes of work for them with an angle grinder.
    - Once they're able to push the bike around in the garden I don't want them to be able to bring it through the gate in the matter of minutes.

Ok, I was trying to avoid putting too much info in here as it's about security :) ...but I guess I can say this much:

- It's about motorbike security
    - The story usually starts with a car following you home from work so they know the bike is in there without having to see it inside
    - They probably can't lift 200kg above the wall/gate in a way that the bike is still useful for them
    - Will have a ground anchor with almax chain and disc locks. It's like 3 minutes of work for them with an angle grinder.
    - Once they're able to push the bike around in the garden I don't want them to be able to bring it through the gate in the matter of minutes.

Okay... so the concern will be that they would try to take it while you are out of the house, as all that noise would easily alert you at night.

Gate wise, would a bolt with a shrouded enclosure for a padlock work? This is what you will see on garages to avoid the lock being cut. You still have the issue of them cutting the bolt... but if they plan to do that surely they will cut the hinges off the wall too?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Okay... so the concern will be that they would try to take it while you are out of the house, as all that noise would easily alert you at night.

Gate wise, would a bolt with a shrouded enclosure for a padlock work? This is what you will see on garages to avoid the lock being cut. You still have the issue of them cutting the bolt... but if they plan to do that surely they will cut the hinges off the wall too?

Thanks, the "shrouded enclosure for a padlock" idea sounds something I'll want to research in detail.

I'll definitely want to come up with some alternative to having these weak looking easy to remove/cut hinges as well. Nothing makes any sense without a solution to that in my view.

Also, the overall solution needs to remain practical. I mean I need to leave for work early in the morning sometimes and I can't have 3 sets of chains / padlocks / ground anchors attached to the bike. It's more practical to have a bit of a solution on the bike and another serious solution at the gate. So that none of these are over-complicated, but very solid combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Honestly, as a fellow motorbike owner, I understand.

But also understand, there is no foolproof way to protect your bike, if someone really wants it, they'll take it, no matter how good your security is.

All you can do, is deter the opportunist so he moves on elsewhere to an easier target.

Beyond what you've planned (ground anchor(s), locks, re-enforced gate), I'm not sure there's much left: tracker? CCTV? removing the wheels? building a block shed? moving house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Horrible that we have to think like this.

I've been working for several days trying to make my garden and tunnels secure from goats, deers, and wandering bullocks. So, if it ain't one thing...

CCTV and a metal shed for your bike might be your best bet?

http://www.shedsdirectireland.com/product/the-extreme-shed-copy/

Maybe you could build one, like a cage even, or something like it from scrap, welded?

Get those anchors and properly cement them in.

I would use 3 good locks/chains.

Make it as difficult as possible and put in pir sensor lights also.

colm_c wrote: »
    Honestly, as a fellow motorbike owner, I understand.

But also understand, there is no foolproof way to protect your bike, if someone really wants it, they'll take it, no matter how good your security is.

All you can do, is deter the opportunist so he moves on elsewhere to an easier target.

Beyond what you've planned (ground anchor(s), locks, re-enforced gate), I'm not sure there's much left: tracker? CCTV? removing the wheels? building a block shed? moving house?

Yeah, well... I don't want to leave the realms of practicality :)

Yeah, well... I don't want to leave the realms of practicality :)

It is like that phrase, you don't need to out run a bear... just the person you are with.

I assume you have a reasonably common bike, so you just need to make it difficult enough for them to move onto the house down the road with a similar bike and not as many locks..

Malayalam wrote: »
    Horrible that we have to think like this.

I've been working for several days trying to make my garden and tunnels secure from goats, deers, and wandering bullocks. So, if it ain't one thing...

CCTV and a metal shed for your bike might be your best bet?

http://www.shedsdirectireland.com/product/the-extreme-shed-copy/

Maybe you could build one, like a cage even, or something like it from scrap, welded?

This link with the metal shed is not bad I'd say! Needs serious hinge and lock updates though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,113 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If the thief has reached the point where they have removed your disc locks and anchor chain with a grinder, there is nothing you can do to stop them also getting through the gate.

Get those anchors and properly cement them in.

I would use 3 good locks/chains.

Make it as difficult as possible and put in pir sensor lights also.

Thanks for the PIR Sensor idea, I'll look into it.

3 sets of locks, chains... Well, that's where it starts getting impractical for me to do at 6:30 in the morning.

This is the anchor I'm planning to get:
    http://www.yanchor.com/

GreeBo wrote: »
    If the thief has reached the point where they have removed your disc locks and anchor chain with a grinder, there is nothing you can do to stop them also getting through the gate.

I'm hoping they'll think this through once they see the reinforced gate in addition to the almax chain. I don't actually expect them going through all that. I expect them to say "f**k that!" :)

• Advertisement

Unless....and I may be getting a bit Thunderbirds here...but if your bike is anchored to a platform thats 2 foot below the level of the ground, they are going to have a hard time getting it out.

Now this platform will need to be raised/lowered by you, but if thats controlled by a key, unless they hotwire it, you should be good. (Especially if you can cut the power to the lift in a non obvious way) Or you could use a manual one that has a lock nut type of connection.

but the costs here are going to be....not insignificant

The amount I see that never lock their motorbikes around the city is mad, even steering lock not engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Deform the wall hinge nuts with a cold chisel so that they cannot be unwound with a hand spanner.

Unless....and I may be getting a bit Thunderbirds here...but if your bike is anchored to a platform thats 2 foot below the level of the ground, they are going to have a hard time getting it out.

Now this platform will need to be raised/lowered by you, but if thats controlled by a key, unless they hotwire it, you should be good. (Especially if you can cut the power to the lift in a non obvious way) Or you could use a manual one that has a lock nut type of connection.

but the costs here are going to be....not insignificant

This sounds really practical and effective. I'd love to have this.
    ...but I have the feeling we're talking thousands of EUR of investment here. I'd better store gold on that platform if I spend that much on it :)

This sounds really practical and effective. I'd love to have this.
    ...but I have the feeling we're talking thousands of EUR of investment here. I'd better store gold on that platform if I spend that much on it :)

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/sealey-mc680a-motorcycle-lift-680kg-capacity-heavy-duty-air-hydraulic

One of these could work well.
    You just disconnect & store the jack in the house and leave the cable exposed somewhere you can connect to.

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/sealey-mc680a-motorcycle-lift-680kg-capacity-heavy-duty-air-hydraulic

One of these could work well.
    You just disconnect & store the jack in the house and leave the cable exposed somewhere you can connect to.

Nice! Assuming this is weather proof (which I'm not sure about) you'd have to dig a huge hole, reinforce the walls/floor (concrete/brick I guess) and have some sort of a plan/system to channel water away so that it doesn't fill up with rain water. Definitely a neat solution, but the overall cost would be quite high I think.

Nice! Assuming this is weather proof (which I'm not sure about) you'd have to dig a huge hole, reinforce the walls/floor (concrete/brick I guess) and have some sort of a plan/system to channel water away so that it doesn't fill up with rain water. Definitely a neat solution, but the overall cost would be quite high I think.

Stick a shed over it :D

Stick a shed over it :D

In any case, it won't get cheap. ...but a cool James-Bond type solution. I can imagine an opening/closing roof on top of it seeded with grass, melting into the environment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Build a knee wall around three sides of a slab, fourth side has retractable steel bollard or two.

Add rail to knee wall if you're worried about lifting.

Do it in brick and it'll even look nice.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Build a knee wall around three sides of a slab, fourth side has retractable steel bollard or two.

Add rail to knee wall if you're worried about lifting.

Do it in brick and it'll even look nice.

This might actually work! I'll look into the costs. Thanks!

Advertisement