Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a simple side-passage gate secure?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

A big well trained and very eager :) german shepherd.ate the arse off the bastards when they come through the gate.
    Seriously though is a dog an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

A big well trained and very eager :) german shepherd.ate the arse off the bastards when they come through the gate.
    Seriously though is a dog an option?

A small/useless dog at most :)

Is the bike in a shed or garage?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Okay... so the concern will be that they would try to take it while you are out of the house, as all that noise would easily alert you at night.

Gate wise, would a bolt with a shrouded enclosure for a padlock work? This is what you will see on garages to avoid the lock being cut. You still have the issue of them cutting the bolt... but if they plan to do that surely they will cut the hinges off the wall too?

I think this is what I was gonna suggest. Gonna upload a photo

Is the bike in a shed or garage?

I was planning to put the bike on a slab next to a wall with a serious ground anchor and almax chain. Covered with something like this:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

xboxdad wrote: »
    This might actually work! I'll look into the costs. Thanks!

Am I missing something - just insure the damn thing and if someone robs it, they rob it!

I don't have a motor bike, but if I had anything which was causing me so much hassle to prevent theft, I'd just get rid of it. People rob things, it's just a fact of life.

Insure it, lock it, forget about it!

Who wants to live in a fortress to protect a damn bike? Not to mention the hassle of securing and releasing the thing everytime you want to use it!

I'd definitely do something like this if I went with a padlock based solution.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

You could put in a T shaped drive way post in the side passage they can wheel around it or lift over it , might help slow down a bit more ,

Am I missing something - just insure the damn thing and if someone robs it, they rob it!

I don't have a motor bike, but if I had anything which was causing me so much hassle to prevent theft, I'd just get rid of it. People rob things, it's just a fact of life.

Insure it, lock it, forget about it!

Who wants to live in a fortress to protect a damn bike? Not to mention the hassle of securing and releasing the thing everytime you want to use it!

Agreed. That's why I say the solution needs to remain practical.
    I've no interest introducing something that holds me up for 15 minutes in the morning.
    I think there were a couple of good ideas here already that would work without introducing too much complexity to my routine.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you make an insurance claim, your premium goes up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

IP WIFI camera
    PIR Lights
    Weld existing bolts on gate so they can’t open
    Cover existing gate with a sheet so it’s not see through

I’d add in a second taller gate also at corner of the house so even if someone watches you open the first gate they see the second one as a deterant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you make an insurance claim, your premium goes up.

It does of course, and I suppose a lot depends on the value of the bike.

Don't mind me I was just thinking out loud - I was actually thinking back to an old neighbour of mine who had his front garden set up like something out of Indiana Jones, all to protect a car that pretty much doubled in value when you filled the petrol tank!

He was quite odd though. 6am every morning you'd hear him rattling chains and moving security poles and then the clincher....."Caution, this vehicle is reversing, Caution, this vehicle is reversing" blaring out while he backed out of his driveway:D

It does of course, and I suppose a lot depends on the value of the bike.

Don't mind me I was just thinking out loud - I was actually thinking back to an old neighbour of mine who had his front garden set up like something out of Indiana Jones, all to protect a car that pretty much doubled in value when you filled the petrol tank!

He was quite odd though. 6am every morning you'd hear him rattling chains and moving security poles and then the clincher....."Caution, this vehicle is reversing, Caution, this vehicle is reversing" blaring out while he backed out of his driveway:D

Yeah, I need to keep the costs and complexity under control. Can't afford to spend a huge amount on high-tech laser stuff from Smyths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

If you really want to make it awkward - 1) Ground anchor/locks 2) upgrade the gate (weld the bolts after so can't be undone with a spanner/socket) and lastly what I saw before 3) Install a security post (either in front or behind the gate). The security post will make it impossible to get a bike past if the size is correct. It's just another hinderence to them!

Darando wrote: »
    If you really want to make it awkward - 1) Ground anchor/locks 2) upgrade the gate (weld the bolts after so can't be undone with a spanner/socket) and lastly what I saw before 3) Install a security post (either in front or behind the gate). The security post will make it impossible to get a bike past if the size is correct. It's just another hinderence to them!

Well, actually putting a well chosen security post in front of the gate might be the most cost effective solution that brings serious security improvements. Good thinking! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Malayalam wrote: »
    metal shed for your bike might be your best bet?

http://www.shedsdirectireland.com/product/the-extreme-shed-copy/

That caught my interest until I realised there was no floor in it, like you'd get with a wooden shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Hurrache wrote: »
    That caught my interest until I realised there was no floor in it, like you'd get with a wooden shed.

You could always pour a concrete one afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

A second gate at the other end of the passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You could always pour a concrete one afterwards

Yeah, I'll try work something out. Where I want to put it is half grass/soil, half concrete path so I may level the grass side and line it with paving slabs so there's a flat base and figure out how to secure it to the ground then.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

1) Clad the gate so cannot see through it.
    2) Fit a telescopic parking post behind the gate so the gate cannot be opened (assuming it opens in) and bike cannot fit either side of post. https://ultrasecure.ie/76-fully-telescopic-parking-security-posts?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhaWDm_O12gIVr53tCh03QAC-EAAYAiAAEgKdjfD_BwE
    3) Fit an alarmed disc lock to the bike https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Boss-Alarm-lock-Yellow/dp/B00F0NHINO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523575807&sr=8-4&keywords=oxford+boss+disc+lock

• Advertisement

1) Clad the gate so cannot see through it.
    2) Fit a telescopic parking post behind the gate so the gate cannot be opened (assuming it opens in) and bike cannot fit either side of post. https://ultrasecure.ie/76-fully-telescopic-parking-security-posts?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhaWDm_O12gIVr53tCh03QAC-EAAYAiAAEgKdjfD_BwE
    3) Fit an alarmed disc lock to the bike https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Boss-Alarm-lock-Yellow/dp/B00F0NHINO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523575807&sr=8-4&keywords=oxford+boss+disc+lock

Yes, I'm seriously considering the telescopic parking post, but I see no value in using one that has an accessible padlock / lock on it. Then we're back to square #1 in my opinion.
    I'd only use one that's operated from the house.
    Like: Press button inside the house and it unlocks the post. Then you can push it into the ground by hand. Of course, I'll have to see if there's a sweet-spot between security and price. I guess if I can find a post for like 200 EUR that's not based on any publicly accessible lock/padlock I'll get it. Installation costs are on top of the 200 EUR, so I have to account for that too. (will have to have some sort of power line to it under ground unless there's some ingenious alternative solution to this I'm not aware of yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

I see no value in using one that has an accessible padlock / lock on it. Then we're back to square #1 in my opinion.
    I'd only use one that's operated from the house.

I would imagine you are talking serious money to install an electric one that's operated from inside the house but imho I can't see anyone been able to gain access to one that has a keyed lock built in? https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-200-Telescopic-Security-Parking-Differ/dp/B01HZYL6KG

You can also install yourself as it's basically just digging a hole and cementing it in. Fairly basic, I would think.

I would imagine you are talking serious money to install an electric one that's operated from inside the house but imho I can't see anyone been able to gain access to one that has a keyed lock built in? https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-200-Telescopic-Security-Parking-Differ/dp/B01HZYL6KG

You can also install yourself as it's basically just digging a hole and cementing it in. Fairly basic, I would think.

Well, after watching a couple of YouTube videos that show how they break the most expensive locks (the locks are more expensive alone than this post) via various methods (drill/etc...) fairly quickly, I don't think a budget integrated lock can be a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Leftyflip wrote: »

Nice! This seems to be the high-end solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Nice! This seems to be the high-end solution.
    Anyone mention bike alarm yet?

dodzy wrote: »
    Anyone mention bike alarm yet?

I got the bike side of things covered I believe. Thank you.

Advertisement