Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Changing Child's Name without consent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Id say you have a case, threaten to sue and double barrel them to oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Brazilian footballers were given way cooler names than their actual names. Imagine if Pele's oul wan had kicked up the same fuss!!!

Pele's Ma: you must call my son Edson Arantes do Nascimento
    School: Not a f*cking chance, Pele it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Humbird wrote: »
    I would like to say that I didn't ask people's opinions about double-barrel names, everybody has their own opinion. I simply asked about the school's right to change a child's name without parental consent, that was the point of my thread.
    Sorry I asked, this was so unhelpful.

You asked in AH. If you want serious discussion on something so trivial you need to find a better forum for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

diomed wrote:
    They did not change the child's name. They want to use a shorter version.
    +1
    I don't know what's the big deal here.
    His name will be on the roll of attendance, report cards, whatever.

They are not legally changing his name.

I said that I didn't want either of the names dropped .... she said "we'll see ...." ..... so after a pause I said that the double-barrell names had been his since birth, that they were legally his name, and also his names by common usage ..... she paused and said that well, it was a really long name when his first name was used with the double-barrell surname and that it was quite common for the school to drop one of the double-barrell names of other pupils, regardless of whether it was their legal/common-use name .... I told her that both parents would be unhappy if there was an attempt to drop part of the child's name. The silence then hung in the air till I left and the matter was not resolved.

I am SURE that a school can't just independently change a child's name without parents consent can they? I phoned the Dept. of Education but they said that they had no experience of this but said they could provide no input as its between the school and the parents.
    Does anybody else have a view of this and the school's "right" to change a child's name from a double-barrell to a single surname just because they perceived the double-barrell name too long?
    C

First, you're 100% correct to feel as you do. The school secretary was 100% incorrect to not accept your stated preference for both names. That is your prerogative, and no school (or ignoramus online trying to impose their preference upon you) can take that from you. It's an issue of basic respect; people have many reasons for choosing a double name and it really is nobody else's business. Not accepting somebody's name is also an issue of eye-raising stupidcúntism: for instance, asking Irish people with names in Irish: "What's that in English?" Never mind the respect; the mind boggles at the mentality.

Second, it was also very inexperienced (to be kind about it) of the secretary: in the majority of cases the child will gradually choose which name to highlight in their day-to-day school life. While both names will remain on the official record, for convenience the child will often be commonly known by the name of their choosing. This can mean that one brother could be Seán Murphy and the other Liam O'Connor but on the school record they are Murphy O'Connor.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is it not just the words "Healey" and "Ray" joined with a hyphen that they object to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The kid is starting secondary school hes gonna be called all kinds of ****e by the ones in there class anyway!

Shortening it might actually draw less attention to the kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

There is really only one possible solution to all of this OP

Burn the school to the ground.*

*That's a joke. Please don't. I feel like I need to state this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

First, you're 100% correct to feel as you do. The school secretary was 100% incorrect to not accept your stated preference for both names. That is your prerogative, and no school (or ignoramus online trying to impose their preference upon you) can take that from you. It's an issue of basic respect; people have many reasons for choosing a double name and it really is nobody else's business. Not accepting somebody's name is also an issue of eye-raising stupidcúntism: for instance, asking Irish people with names in Irish: "What's that in English?" Never mind the respect; the mind boggles at the mentality.

Second, it was also very inexperienced (to be kind about it) of the secretary: in the majority of cases the child will gradually choose which name to highlight in their day-to-day school life. While both names will remain on the official record, for convenience the child will often be commonly known by the name of their choosing. This can mean that one brother could be Seán Murphy and the other Liam O'Connor but on the school record they are Murphy O'Connor.

In our school we just go exactly with birth cert. Unless there's a divorce, or child protecting issue.
    It's not unheard of for 1 divorced parent to rewrite history a bit !
    We have a good few double barrels e.g. with a Spanish kid.
    When the year starts teachers will do whatever the parents want anyway.

I think the Secretary was just missing some courtesy in giving a reason OP. Tell them you make an appointment with the principal to explain the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is why consent classes are needed in schools!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

The kid is starting secondary school hes gonna be called all kinds of ****e by the ones in there class anyway!

Shortening it might actually draw less attention to the kid!

Bullpoop. I have a double barrel name and never had a single occurence of mocking or name calling whenn in school, and that was just 10-15 years ago. That was a single sex boys school too, and I was far from the popular class.

They'll become more common in the future as women refuse to be chattels and more divorced people who have children remarry
    Or maybe guys will insist on it since it's the last time they are properly entitled to any say in anything in their kids' life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

jaxxx wrote: »
    Bullpoop. I have a double barrel name and never had a single occurence of mocking or name calling whenn in school, and that was just 10-15 years ago. That was a single sex boys school too, and I was far from the popular class.

So no one had a nickname for you based on your surname? Was a fairly common thing in any school or even college i was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'd say it was bullpoop.��

The turd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

They obviously shortened it for ease of record keeping, quite understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

When I went to primary school here, back in the mists of time, they insisted on using an Irish version of my name. It drove me mental for a few reasons: 1 it wasn't a gaelscoil, 2 you don't translate proper nouns, 3 my name isn't Irish and doesn't have an Irish version.

I refused to answer to it. Granted, I grew up to be an appalling brat, but a brat who is not sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A name is a name and while I understand their point, I don't entirely agree with it. Fight them on it OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Just hope that the classmates dont pick a 'new' name for your kid
    If theres any group of people able to diminish a mouthful of a name into something easy to yell across a playground or class its the Childs peers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hi, there is no change of his name from English to Irish. The school want to alter his name by dropping half of it. Surely they have no right? Do they?

He could just not answer to what they 'shorten' it to...lets us Ross O'Carroll-Kelly as example since already mentioned on thread.
    They call out Ross O'Carroll - he doesn't answer
    They call out Ross Kelly - he doesn't answer
    They call out Ross O'Carroll-Kelly - he answers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think you should go to war with the school, your kid will just love that.

And this is about the kids wishes after all.

Isn't it... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

+1
    I don't know what's the big deal here.
    His name will be on the roll of attendance, report cards, whatever.

They are not legally changing his name.

Of course they're changing it. If your name is Martina and people started calling you Marti, they're changing it by dropping part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He could just not answer to what they 'shorten' it to...lets us Ross O'Carroll-Kelly as example since already mentioned on thread.
    They call out Ross O'Carroll - he doesn't answer
    They call out Ross Kelly - he doesn't answer
    They call out Ross O'Carroll-Kelly - he answers

... if they offer sweets, he answers to anything.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MOD Moved from After Hours so please note the new charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ah for jaysus sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I was going to suggest "OP, change your child's name to 'Mohamed Onwuatuegwu Nevin Silverman', and they won't be able to decide which name(s) to jettison for fear of whom they might offend", but I see the topic has been moved from AH now, so I won't...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hello, we have accepted a 1st year place in a Dublin secondary school starting Sept. When I was dropping off paperwork to the school today, the school secretary told me that "they" had been talking about my child's last name which "they" think is a "mouthful" and they want to shorten it, and she asked which of the double-barrell names could be dropped. I said that I didn't want either of the names dropped .... she said "we'll see ...." ..... so after a pause I said that the double-barrell names had been his since birth, that they were legally his name, and also his names by common usage ..... she paused and said that well, it was a really long name when his first name was used with the double-barrell surname and that it was quite common for the school to drop one of the double-barrell names of other pupils, regardless of whether it was their legal/common-use name .... I told her that both parents would be unhappy if there was an attempt to drop part of the child's name. The silence then hung in the air till I left and the matter was not resolved.

I am SURE that a school can't just independently change a child's name without parents consent can they? I phoned the Dept. of Education but they said that they had no experience of this but said they could provide no input as its between the school and the parents.
    Does anybody else have a view of this and the school's "right" to change a child's name from a double-barrell to a single surname just because they perceived the double-barrell name too long?
    C

It's just one 'l' - barrel

How long in letters is this hyphenated surname?

Either way - I can't see much value in dropping half of the surname other than it probably exceeds some storage field width on an electronic form. It is the child's name and it is what they will respond to. It's not like it saves time There were a few peers with double barrel names in our school but they were usually referred by to their first names anyway. I doubt that there is anything nefarious behind it so running off to ring the Dept of Education or using legal/common usage terms just makes you sound a bit self important.

Did you ask what the exact problem was? Or what the perceived benefit to the school would be for making such a change?

It's pure pretentious bolloxology anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

meeeeh wrote: »
    What do you do when kids have Polish, Indian, German, Chinese names...

My kids have a foreign surname. The school asked us did we want to stick with it or translate it to Irish... We choose to translate it, we gave them the meaning in English and the got an official translater to come up with an Irish version. They let us approve the name and its now the official Irish version of our name. One daughter likes it so much that she now uses it as her surname everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

The fist half of this thread consists of people mocking d-b names and criticising the parent, the second half consists of defending the parent and criticising the school. I prefer the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I prefer the fist half.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Reminder that the Teaching and Lecturing charter applies here. You're not in Kansas anymore.

As I said in the other thread (have they been amalgamated? Oops no, it was in the JC forum), this is probably to do with the amount of characters allowed in the school software for a name. No big conspiracy.

Advertisement