Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake watch busters

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

unkel wrote: »

Gone. Pic so that 893 doesn't give out:

ZGMzZjc0Zjg5YjhkYTJjOGY3MjdjNTY1ZWQ1MzUwOTUF-TUliHasAy6wggZlKi5NaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZDI3YmU1YWVhNTMzNDM1NWYyZjBkZjJhZGI3MmM1ZjIyMDlkZDM1YTE3YmZiMTcxOTg2MzMzZjJkZjllYmUzZS5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NDM4fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Feel a bit sorry for the seller, he didn't come across as a con artist. Said he bought it on a market. Says it all really. How did you "enhance" that pic, Spocker? Looked far more vague in the ad. Or do you have access to the original (much higher resolution) picture that the sellers upload to adverts.ie? When I searched for the model online, it looked like the real ones had a black date wheel, hence this must be a fake. So I reported it.

unkel wrote: »
    How did you "enhance" that pic, Spocker? Looked far more vague in the ad. Or do you have access to the original (much higher resolution) picture that the sellers upload to adverts.ie?

No enhancement from me, I just know how to fish out the larger images from the ad, thats all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Homer wrote: »
    Did ya ever think it might be a bit of both?

I havent bought any 5 euro rolexs anyways!
    Maybe its because i follow this thread though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

TheW1zard wrote: »
    I havent bought any 5 euro rolexs anyways!
    Maybe its because i follow this thread though lol

I do think some of the pieces that come up are as a result of people getting stung, and then trying to pass on. Not entirely innocent but not entirely nefarious either.

It's usually fairly obvious when someone is actually selling snides, as opposed to one who was caught by a dodgy deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

OmegaGene wrote: »

Was on my radar as the alarm bells were ringing when I saw it listed. Decided to wait and see if the seller was genuine but seems they have vanished after the initial listing.. now the advert has vanished also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

https://www.adverts.ie/21778188

Any input. ??? If it’s real us it worth that money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

adam88 wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/21778188

Any input. ??? If it’s real us it worth that money ?

It looks genuine. Its about average used market price after some haggling. Looks very complete and decent condition.

In terms of value - I wouldn't be going entry level swiss Quartz at that price point. Value is completely subjective. If you want the brand recognition and like the look/reliability of quartz - go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

If they have the watch it is real. If they have it.

Given that they know nothing about the watch e.g see withdraw add where they called it a “chronograph” and Omega called em on it. They have also said it’s “not water resistant” when it should be 200 metres, yet working perfectly.

Also the images how they are taken suggest two different photographers which is suspicious

All in all I am suspicious.

Did you sell it to him/her Omega?

No I didn’t sell it to them, they are using online photos for some of the listing but some people just can’t take proper photos so maybe the benefit of the doubt might be called for, the instruction book is wrong so chances are the warranty card could be also.

If I went to see it and instruction book matched the watch along with the warranty card I would be alrite ?

• Advertisement

The watch itself is fine so the book and card not matching isn’t really a problem and can work in your favour to haggle the price down, sometimes books get lost and people buy them to make a full set or they just get mixed up in the shops
    The book is for a tag heuer alarm which this isn’t

Ya just noticed that. Those watches new aren’t that expensive compared to other tag heuer. What would a good price to offer be ??

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Worth nowhere near €500 in my book if you have to get it re-sealed and pressure tested. And what's a diver that you can't even take for a swim? :p

when that watch was new (2003) the price of everything was much different, i dont think we are allowed to offer pricing advice here but do some research and you would need to see better photographs to judge the condition because those photos are terrible

check the Polyurethane bumpers btw there is one on adverts where the steel is exposed due to wear

I’d just be buying it for occasional wear

Occasional wear or not if the bumpers are worn then it will look terrible

Oh yes. Sorry I picked you up wrong. Totally wouldn’t buy it if it was missing parts or that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fake as f... IMHO Spocker

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Fake. Movement gives it away.

Also he says it might be stolen lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That's a fairly bold admission about its provenance.

Does the seller really think that will seal the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

It's a steal at €1,200

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    That's a fairly bold admission about its provenance.

Does the seller really think that will seal the deal?

He is quite the sales man.

Might be real or fake.

If real might be stolen.

He knows it’s fake. That is a little back story to try and “sell” it to someone willing to take a chance on it being real (and only cheap as it’s stolen) and they will never bring to a jewellers as it’s stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

Spocker wrote: »

Sorry deleted it before I saw this post. It’s 99.9% a sh1tter. If they have any issues they can get it verified and relist it. Chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Awe crap any photos sound like a good one????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

You can definitely be mickey mouse and pay for google ad space :P - my current ad spend is 9 euro a day (which isn't necessarily huge, though on the other hand it's not "nothing" either) - all depends on how they've structured their campaign.

And that definitely appears illegal - as in 99.99999% sure - they even say it's a Japanese quartz movement inside.

Though clicking on the link you put up gives them information that their ad buy has "worked" (as the link contains a tracker code in it that tells the advertisers where the click originated from) - so they may end up spend even more targetting you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

The legality varies between jurisdictions. Technically, if there is no attempt to deceive the buyer that the item is genuine its a replica rather than a fake and legal to sell in many places. I think they are all illegal in Ireland though.

Thirdfox wrote: »

Though clicking on the link you put up gives them information that their ad buy has "worked" (as the link contains a tracker code in it that tells the advertisers where the click originated from) - so they may end up spend even more targetting you ;)

Oh dear, thanks for ruining my day! :eek:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

They used to say paper never refused ink....now its google never refused ad revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,495 ✭✭✭✭banie01

redlead wrote: »

The copyright owner can issue action to lock the domain selling fakes and can request takedown of their IP via Court.

Issue is, the seller will pop up with an amended website addressbnd other legal action is generally unenforceable in the jurisdictions where the sellers are based.

Surprised to see miniinthebox taking such an overt risk tho!
    Usually it's an "homage" rather than blatant fakery.

OKAY, so now Boards are trying to sell it to me! haha

[IMG][/img]screen-grab.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

You've got their tracking pixel on you now ha.

I recommend doing a privacy purge (removing tracking cookies/personal date and just doing a complete flush of your web browser) if you don't want to see those ads anymore.

Though you might end up with even more interesting ads following you (Dublin singles near you! Click here to chat now...) :D

Advertisement