Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active shooter at Youtube headquarters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What chance have they of success? The firearms manufacturers are making legal products that aren't defective. From a legal point of view, what's the problem there?

Would Slazenger be sued if I attacked someone with a tennis racquet?

The logic is that guns are for shooting bullets and lots of them are shot at people, tennis racquets are not a threat in the scheme of things unless you live next door to a very petulant child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

News Alert: Woman carries out mass shooting.
    Guardian: Yeah, but it's usually men.

They're not even trying to pretend to be anything but a propaganda outfit at this stage.

Guardian are a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

They didn't say it is 'only men' they said it is mostly men, which it overwhelmingly is. What is wrong with stating facts?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,677 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Have to agree with her. Her videos were not anywhere near as bad as others yet they filtered her, took away her freedom to express. Again it's giant companies like youtube and Facebook trying to control the world and what is viewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

They didn't say it is 'only men' they said it is mostly men, which it overwhelmingly is. What is wrong with stating facts?

It's point scoring, nothing more.

Shooter seems disturbed and it's pretty sad since some of her beliefs like animal rights are admirable. Looks like a revenge mission over her youtube videos.

• Advertisement

They are facts, but why bring it up now ??

They want to take the seriousness of this instant away to push their own narrative of evil white men being the problem.

Imagine this, imagine after that idiot drove into those Muslims praying last summer and killed one man if a news organisation ran with the headline.

Most murders by deranged drivers using their vehicles as weapon commited by Muslims

Facts also, but can you IMAGINE THE OUTRAGE ????

They would be done as a news organisation if they did it - even Fox news wouldn't stoop so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They're not even trying to pretend to be anything but a propaganda outfit at this stage.

Why don't they allow comments on their articles like other newspaper sites?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That would get in the way of their donation begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have to agree with her. Her videos were not anywhere near as bad as others yet they filtered her, took away her freedom to express. Again it's giant companies like youtube and Facebook trying to control the world and what is viewed.
    Me arse they took away her freedom to express. She can express all she likes, but she'll need to pay for the platform if she wants to reach a global audience with her video.

I don't disagree with your point about large companies trying to control, but this isn't a freedom of speech issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

They do on opinion pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Facts don't care about your feelings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fair enough, they may want to control what's on their platform. But it is their platform. They own it, they have every right to decide what does or does not appear on it. It's not like she paid for a service and didn't get it. It has nothing to do with any freedom or right. She's perfectly free to launch her own platform.

It's not unusual. Boards won't let you say anything you wish on their forums, and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's rare that a female would carry out this kind of act I don't see any harm is highlighting in the news. The coverage I watched last night brought it up multiple times, I didn't see an issue, it was used to point out the fact that the motive of the attack might be different considering its a female, as in most cases it is usually a related to a domestic dispute.

I do feel sorry for the poor white men who feel hard done by though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Totally disagree.
    Her freedom to express existed well before Facebook and Youtube. Both a private companies and well within their rights to exercise whatever content control they want.
    There's plenty of other streaming sites and social media outlets besides those, and plenty of other avenues to get your message across.
    No excuse to get a gun and shoot the place up.

Also, plenty of Youtubers are affected by content filtering and demonetization. It's an ongoing saga at the moment that just hasn't been resolved. Don't see any of them taking up arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

20Cent wrote: »
    Facts don't care about your feelings.
    Shapiro fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If taking away "freedom to express oneself" is a valid reason to go on a shooting spree, Boards.ie would need to invest in Kevlar! ;)
    As would everyone with me on ignore....:mad:
    But they'll never see it coming!
    Because I'm on ignore! Muahahaha!:rolleyes:

Youtube is a company, companies can and do dictate policies to allow access to their service. Those policies are subject to review and periodic change. A company of any type is under no obligation to provide a free platform.
    It is under even less of an obligation to ensure that any person can monetise any old guff they spout!

This womans father has confirmed his belief that this was due to Youtube restricting access to her videos and the impact that had financially.
    That was what he felt was a prime factor in this.
    Youtube restricted her access to easy ad reveneue!
    This person could use any platform at all to espouse her belief, the one she chose, made a policy change that impacted her income.
    Rathet than choose an alternative platform, the animal loving Vegan decided to shoot people?!?!

Hardly a rational response?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Shapiro fan?

No can't stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm just baffled by the neurotic obsession by some regards the gun laws of another country that has nothing to do with them, I wonder about the mental health of those the spaz out every time this happens in America. It's an international news story, and yet for some bizarre reason folks with no input and who it doesn't impact seem to be having emotional melt downs.
    Then keep your gun shooting news stories to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Because its not at all relevant to the story and seems to down play her actions just because of her gender. If you continued with that line of logic you'd have to write 'but its mostly black men that commit homicide' (which is stating a fact) That would be outrageous.

Thats the problem with continually politicizing events like this. each side is looking to blame the other and reinforce their own beliefs rather that solve the issue, . The left seems to blame white men for all ills and the right blame minorities. Americas problem is completely and utterly refusing to collectively deal with widespread mental health issues mixed with extremely divisive identity politics mixed with a high drug use rate mixed with easily obtained guns....A recipe for complete and utter chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

YouTube link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Because its not at all relevant to the story and seems to down play her actions just because of her gender. If you continued with that line of logic you'd have to write 'but its mostly black men that commit homicide' (which is stating a fact) That would be outrageous.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Guardian piece. It was written quickly before all the facts were known and references previous attacks by women in the States. It's a bit tabloidy but that's what they are now. The main problem seems to be with the headline which is click bait like all headlines now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Vegan blogger , not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

Thats the problem with continually politicizing events like this. each side is looking to blame the other and reinforce their own beliefs rather that solve the issue, . The left seems to blame white men for all ills and the right blame minorities. Americas problem is completely and utterly refusing to collectively deal with widespread mental health issues mixed with extremely divisive identity politics mixed with a high drug use rate mixed with easily obtained guns....A recipe for complete and utter chaos.

It may yet be relevant to the story. I've seen it reported that she is a biological male, I'm not sure how accurate those reports are but I read a news article where she was called a trans woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was very lucky.
    I was actually on Youtube at that very time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

doylefe wrote: »
    Vegan blogger , not surprising.

They're well known for taking up arms alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm just baffled by the neurotic obsession by some regards the gun laws of another country that has nothing to do with them, I wonder about the mental health of those the spaz out every time this happens in America. It's an international news story, and yet for some bizarre reason folks with no input and who it doesn't impact seem to be having emotional melt downs.

Isn’t the point that people in other countries aren’t spazzing out anymore, rather shrugging their shoulders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

You can comment under lots of Guardian articles. :confused: Not all but most. Generally, it’s opinion pieces or features or reviews that have comment sections rather than straight news reporting on the site but I have no idea where you got the idea that the Guardian don’t allow any commenting.

https://twitter.com/robbystarbuck/status/981384762458820610

I can't imagine why she didn't make $$$$ with videos of this quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Pretty sure that's a dude, the Guardian will be delighted but at the same time confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

YouTube should be ashamed for even allowing that yoke to upload videos....

A 5 year old would make a better video.

Advertisement