Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active shooter at Youtube headquarters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyway it will all be forgotten by tomorrow night.

But the gun laws in America will live on forever. What draw has the NRA? Do most Americans really believe in this sh!t about the right to bear arms in case they need to oust the Government? WTF.

Why is that? Must be a preppers duty. Sure.

America is a strange place for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I remember when I used to be shocked when these things happened. Now it happens every few weeks and has just become part of the norm.
    "Thoughts and prayers" don't do anything. Do something about it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't even know why we bother with these threads anymore.

We all know the story. Thoughts and prayers offered, forgotten following day, next incident next week.

Nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Phew, for a minute I thought he forgot the patented Thoughts and Prayers TM

Omackeral wrote: »
    C'mon spit it out, what are you trying to tell us?

Talk to me and tell me what YOU think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Hope you put a filter on your FB profile pic too

Ahh come on.
    Sending prayers and good vibes to people that will never see the post must have a positive effect on them.

Don't even know why we bother with these threads anymore.

We all know the story. Thoughts and prayers offered, forgotten following day, next incident next week.

Nothing will change.

I agree, but you forgot the candles and flowers. Talk is cheap.

Talk to me and tell me what YOU think.

Well I think it's jumping the gun (:pac:) to call them murderers until such time that the facts are known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

It's a sad state of affairs when such a beautiful country is in the hands of a sick people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Again the word "shooter" is ridiculous. But what the heck no one cares the next day anyway.

Seen them referred to as 'Female gunman' on another site. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ironwalk

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I remember when I used to be shocked when these things happened. Now it happens every few weeks and has just become part of the norm.
    "Thoughts and prayers" don't do anything. Do something about it

Agree.
    Saw the headline on the Irish Times website, and, God forgive me, my reaction was... <shrug>.
    If it happened here, I'd be in shock. Twitter would melt-down with people checking if they knew anyone who'd been hurt.
    And the country would be on the streets to change the laws to prevent it happening again (like the UK after Dunblane).

I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

When people say 'thoughts and prayers' do they actually go and say a prayer?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

No they just continue to scroll down Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Meh... Probably some do... But generally I'd imagine they think about praying......
    To me though it's more like the annoying "sorry for your troubles" favoured at Irish funerals.

0d8.jpg

Well I think it's jumping the gun (:pac:) to call them murderers until such time that the facts are known.

Well what would you call it?

Don't ask me!

Well what would you call it?

Probably a shooter or something.

Blame the preppers and those who worry about the Government taking over. Yes that is the reason for guns in America. The president and the Congress might just take over your life.

So you can get guns of any calibre to protect yourself.

Honestly they are nuts. Sorry there are no other words left.

Probably a shooter or something.

LOL :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Could do with a "AH U.S.A. Shooting Megathread" to contain all the thoughts and prayers.

• Advertisement

Noveight wrote: »
    Could do with a "AH U.S.A. Shooting Megathread" to contain all the thoughts and prayers.

Sounds like you're pleading with them to stop their shenanigans. Lash up a few of these, be grand.

original?width=600&version=900199

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Blame the preppers and those who worry about the Government taking over. Yes that is the reason for guns in America. The president and the Congress might just take over your life.

It's a culture. You don't understand it cause you don't live it.You didn't grow up in it.
    To even suggest taking guns away is akin to suggesting taking alcohol away from us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The government is pretty loaded though. All American police forces are basically para military operations.

The best option is an unarmed police force and citizenry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Sounds like you're pleading with them to stop their shenanigans. Lash up a few of these, be grand.

Last chance lads, cop on now before it ends in tears... :pac:

eeguy wrote: »
    It's a culture. You don't understand it cause you don't live it.You didn't grow up in it.
    To even suggest taking guns away is akin to suggesting taking alcohol away from us.

Ah I know, but it doesn't apply to all Americans does it?

it is a ridiculous culture/attitude for some, but they can drink if they want to aswell, no problem. With the gun in the dashboard in case the Government will take over. So what is their worry I often wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Berserker wrote: »
    The shooter is female according to some reports.
    No prosecution so

Well, she’s dead but why wouldn’t she have been prosecuted?

Nice trolling there, POTUS, with the ‘thoughts and prayers’ bit.

The government is pretty loaded though. All American police forces are basically para military operations.

The best option is an unarmed police force and citizenry.

Many countries police forces are armed. Even in Europe. But the killings on the scale of US do not seem to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

What chance have they of success? The firearms manufacturers are making legal products that aren't defective. From a legal point of view, what's the problem there?

Would Slazenger be sued if I attacked someone with a tennis racquet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Feminism in action

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What draw has the NRA?

Same that the Democratic and Republican Parties have, for example. Few of the members truly agree with the leadership, but they are in anyway because it is the closest, effective organisation which either achieves at least some of what they want, or perhaps more accurately, is most likely to prevent what they don't want to happen.

If you are a pro-gun chap, sure, you can become a member of an organisation which really does suit your desires, such as the California Rifle and Pistol Association (Obviously, for Californians) or the Pink Pistols (LGBT gun advocacy group) or whatever. But at the national level, they, quite simply, lack effectiveness. The NRA carries some weight in Congress. The National African American Gun Association does not.

So whilst many NRA members wish to God LaPierre and Nugent et al would shut the hell up and be a bit more reasonable, the viewpoint is that they are stuck between two unreasonable positions: That of the NRA leadership, and that of the gun control leadership. The difference being that whatever stupidity comes out of Nugent's mouth, it is not going to harm their interests, because even if it's for irrational reasons, the net effect that they are going for is to deny the anti-gun agenda. So, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and strength in unity.

And, of course, the vast majority of firearms owners are not in the NRA anyway. But we do vote, so it's not as if the politicians don't pay attention to the pro-gun position anyway, if they want to be re-elected.

Advertisement