Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active shooter at Youtube headquarters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Feminism in action

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Could be a domestic issue.

Reports suggest she shot her partner, then herself..?

EDIT:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43635864

A 36-year-old man left in a critical condition is believed to be the suspect's boyfriend, CBS news reports. Two women, 32 and 27, were also shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Many countries police forces are armed. Even in Europe. But the killings on the scale of US do not seem to happen.

I’m not preferring the US way but if I were live by in a country so militarised I’d probably buy a gun.

Anyway you can’t fix this. Try and ban and collect all guns and the most angry people will be gun-owners. Some pretty well armed.

You will literally create the insurrection you want to avoid. You will confirm their paranoia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

BattleCorp wrote:
    Would Slazenger be sued if I attacked someone with a tennis racquet?

Took a while for the first whataboutery post to make an appearance. #119. ; )

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Took a while for the first whataboutery post to make an appearance. #119. ; )

That’s not whataboutery.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭emeraldwinter

That’s not whataboutery.

How many tennis racket related mass beat downs have occurred ?

How many tennis racket related mass beat downs have occurred ?

It’s not the logical fallacy of whataboutary. It’s a question regarding how you apply the law to one device that causes harm vs another.

I don’t get how gun manufacturers can be sued if the product they sell is legal.

It’s not the logical fallacy of whataboutary. It’s a question regarding how you apply the law to one device that causes harm vs another.

I don’t get how gun manufacturers can be sued if the product they sell is legal.

To be fair did they not go after cigarette manufacturers ? And are going after diesel cars ?

To be fair did they not go after cigarette manufacturers ? And are going after diesel cars ?

The parents from Sandyhook are still pursuing a case, so depending on the outcome civil cases against gun manufacturers may follow.

The parents from Sandyhook are still pursuing a case, so depending on the outcome civil cases against gun manufacturers may follow.

To be fair the should just go back to making Muskets the only legal weapon as that was the time the constitution was written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Same that the Democratic and Republican Parties have, for example. Few of the members truly agree with the leadership, but they are in anyway because it is the closest, effective organisation which either achieves at least some of what they want, or perhaps more accurately, is most likely to prevent what they don't want to happen.

If you are a pro-gun chap, sure, you can become a member of an organisation which really does suit your desires, such as the California Rifle and Pistol Association (Obviously, for Californians) or the Pink Pistols (LGBT gun advocacy group) or whatever. But at the national level, they, quite simply, lack effectiveness. The NRA carries some weight in Congress. The National African American Gun Association does not.

So whilst many NRA members wish to God LaPierre and Nugent et al would shut the hell up and be a bit more reasonable, the viewpoint is that they are stuck between two unreasonable positions: That of the NRA leadership, and that of the gun control leadership. The difference being that whatever stupidity comes out of Nugent's mouth, it is not going to harm their interests, because even if it's for irrational reasons, the net effect that they are going for is to deny the anti-gun agenda. So, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, and strength in unity.

And, of course, the vast majority of firearms owners are not in the NRA anyway. But we do vote, so it's not as if the politicians don't pay attention to the pro-gun position anyway, if they want to be re-elected.

Interesting post.

However it hasn't resulted in any vitriol against the NRA who seem to be in control of gun laws no matter what. Even the President. What is the point of being in charge so?

Sandy Hook kids murders come to mind. Nothing happened. NRA won.

The parents have been relatively silent also.

Does not make any sense to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Firearms do not have unadvertised side effects which cause health risks to their users and are not breaking any laws like diesel cars do. They work exactly as advertised and sold to do.
    I can think of no other object in which a manufacturer who is in full compliance with all laws and regulations, produces a device which reliably functions as intended in all respects, and which provides adequate instruction on the operation of the device (i.e, if you follow the manual, you won't have an accident) can be held liable for the unlawful misuse of their product.

Note that the sandy Hook lawsuit is on appeal because the court of first instance ruled against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Berserker wrote: »
    The shooter is female according to some reports.

Tell me why?

"I don't like Tuesdays"

The parents have been relatively silent also.

The parents were accused of a perpetrating a hoax some received death threats, any wonder they would not court the spotlight.

Firearms do not have unadvertised side effects which cause health risks to their users and are not breaking any laws like diesel cars do. They work exactly as advertised and sold to do.
    I can think of no other object in which a manufacturer who is in full compliance with all laws and regulations, produces a device which reliably functions as intended in all respects, and which provides adequate instruction on the operation of the device (i.e, if you follow the manual, you won't have an accident) can be held liable for the unlawful misuse of their product.

Note that the sandy Hook lawsuit is on appeal because the court of first instance ruled against them.

Are the fumes not noxious ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

The victims are being treated at the Zuckerberg Hospital in San Francisco. :pac:

That should take a bit of heat off you and Cambridge Analytica, eh Mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The parents were accused of a perpetrating a hoax some received death threats, any wonder they would not court the spotlight.

I just cannot get the Sandy Hook massacre out of my head. Jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have to say the amount of disinformation about this online as it was happening was truly appalling. What the hell is wrong with some people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

"I don't feel any sympathy for them because of American gun laws" is a bizarre viewpoint. The people that were shot had nothing to do with making laws and no one knows their stance on guns. It's like saying you have no sympathy for anyone who's a victim of crime in Ireland because of all the criminals with hundreds of convictions that the courts refuse to give a jail sentence to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

"I don't feel any sympathy for them because of American gun laws" is a bizarre viewpoint. The people that were shot had nothing to do with making laws and no one knows their stance on guns. It's like saying you have no sympathy for anyone who's a victim of crime in Ireland because of all the criminals with hundreds of convictions that the courts refuse to give a jail sentence to.

Empathy fatigue. Nothing is changing and it chips away at your empathy when you are looking on from afar. There is already a remove when you don’t personally know the people involved. We all need that or we wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning. And the US wilfully seems to not want to do anything about the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Empathy fatigue. Nothing is changing and it chips away at your empathy when you are looking on from afar. There is already a remove when you don’t personally know the people involved. We all need that or we wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning. And the US wilfully seems to not want to do anything about the problem.

It's embedded into the psyche of a large percentage of the population over there, the mantra is "We only have our 1st Amendment rights due to our 2nd Amendment rights".

Can't see it changing anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Her name is Nasim Aghdam. She's an eccentric woman from Iran and she posted some very bizarre videos on YouTube.

https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/981374473352904704

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

News Alert: Woman carries out mass shooting.
    Guardian: Yeah, but it's usually men.

They're not even trying to pretend to be anything but a propaganda outfit at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Feminism in action

Appears to be nutter-ism in action.

Her name is Nasim Aghdam. She's an eccentric woman from Iran and she posted some very bizarre videos on YouTube.

Looks like a man in drag tbh. Nasim is more commonly a male name also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Tomorrow it will all be forgotten.

I often wonder why the parents of the Sandy Hook kids did not try to change the gun laws.

Does anyone know why they didn't?

????? They have been lobbying since.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

According to a Dutch newspaper, she is a vegan bodybuilder\animal rights activist. (just google translate the link there)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

_Dara_ wrote: »

I'm just baffled by the neurotic obsession by some regards the gun laws of another country that has nothing to do with them, I wonder about the mental health of those the spaz out every time this happens in America. It's an international news story, and yet for some bizarre reason folks with no input and who it doesn't impact seem to be having emotional melt downs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Jesus. She s got one of the longest necks I've ever seen on a human

Advertisement