Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster vs Toulon, ERCC QF, Sat 30th March 3:15pm; Sky Sports Action

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

A great match. Munster were a bit lucky on a couple of calls. Arnold was incredible. And Conway must be one of the most underrated players in Ireland. How did Leinster ever let him go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,602 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Toulon
    The reverse angle shows how poorly Toulon had covered that side of the pitch. Was a great finish though.

The toulon backs pushed up to cover a quick lineout, but when conway kept the ball in play it created big gaps in their defense. What an incredible individual try.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

Who's this "Jam 83" guy and how does he get away with being so personally abusive to one player? There isn't anything constructive in there.

Fantastic win for Munster, up there with the best of them against a physically monstrous team.

Toulon
    And Conway must be one of the most underrated players in Ireland. How did Leinster ever let him go?
    we'll be saying the same about Copeland in a year or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

A great match. Munster were a bit lucky on a couple of calls. Arnold was incredible. And Conway must be one of the most underrated players in Ireland. How did Leinster ever let him go?

Left for gametime himself, he wasn't pushed. Was a few ahead at the time who then retired within a few years so was unfortunate for both parties but it's worked out in the long run for him in limerick.

Akrasia wrote: »

I think you're right. Another guy who has had to take the long route.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Left for gametime himself, he wasn't pushed. Was a few ahead at the time who then retired within a few years so was unfortunate for both parties but it's worked out in the long run for him in limerick.

I realise he wasn't pushed. But he always had something about him. I remember being really surprised when he left. I think he will get even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Only home now.
    Wow what a game....... I'm pretty sure everything has already been said what can be said. The Conway try is probably gonna be the highlight of the match but POMs lineout steals where mega too, one just a few metres from our own line. Was the best Munster lineout performance Ive seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Reggie Corrigan
    After the match Ashton and Zebo had a long chat seemed to be genuine respect for each other.

They also had the first 40seconds of the game to discuss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Toulon
    Epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Only home now.
    Wow what a game....... I'm pretty sure everything has already been said what can be said. The Conway try is probably gonna be the highlight of the match but POMs lineout steals where mega too, one just a few metres from our own line. Was the best Munster lineout performance Ive seen in a while.

I think Conor Murray's knowledge of the rules was pretty pivotal too.

Leinstertainment from Conway.
    Looking back through the thread, I was disappointed to not see any "Larmour who?" Comments :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

We definitely won't. Aside from him not being at level and already being over 30 already, he left Leinster because he basically quit rugby after finding pro rugby not to his liking when he started out.

Flincher wrote: »
    Good one.

You're right though. Aside from the biting and the gouging, Ashton's a great lad.

Aside from stamping on prone players, BOD and Hayes were great lads. Aside from kneeing someone in the head, Heaslip was a great lad. Aside from gouging, Jennings and Quinlan were great lads.

Ashton is a decent bloke and a great player. People had a chip on their shoulder about him long before he was ever suspended. I hope he smashes the T14 try scoring record and shows England what they're missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Toulon

Don't think so, he was given opportunities over the last few seasons, and bar an occasional great performance was found wanting. Seems to have found great form this season though, but id rather back JOD etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Toulon
    Thought Ashton had a great game today...if Toulon had won, I'd have had him as MOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Reggie Corrigan
    Great result and a cracking game too. Conway's try was a thing of beauty. As for Ashton - a try machine and PP obviously haven't been keeping an eye on the Top 14. :D

pp.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Thought Ashton had a great game today...if Toulon had won, I'd have had him as MOM

Indeed he was but the other winge Semi Radradra was some handful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I thought basta was great again. I'd have him on a world 15.

I think we are underestimating Munsters ability really, they have the set piece down to a T and a decent defense. Here's hoping for an Irish final.

• Advertisement

Toulon

Ive always rated Ashton very highly as an athlete and I've never really understood the animosity towards him. he seems like a decent guy from how he conducts himself after the game

Toulon
    Buer wrote: »
    We definitely won't. Aside from him not being at level and already being over 30 already, he left Leinster because he basically quit rugby after finding pro rugby not to his liking when he started out.

Donnacha Ryan had his breakout season in 2012 when he was 28. Copeland is 4 years younger than him. And Ryan is playing the best rugby of his career at 34 years old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Reggie Corrigan
    Ive always rated Ashton very highly as an athlete and I've never really understood the animosity towards him. he seems like a decent guy from how he conducts himself after the game

Probably something to do with his flamboyant style. :D

Donnacha Ryan had his breakout season in 2012 when he was 28. Copeland is 4 years younger than him. And Ryan is playing the best rugby of his career at 34 years old

Ryan and Copeland have both played for Munster. That's where the comparison ends!

He's a decent player. Capable of stepping in to the first team if called upon but he'll never be a guy who is a key player. He's got one last chance to really make something of his career at Connacht but I fear his age is against him at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I have to say I never really rated Copeland, but I was beginning to change me mind in recent weeks because he put in some exceptional performances. Even today, he made some good interventions - a really good clearout when Hart was caught be Mathewson at the back of a scrum.

However, on 80:37 - he makes a rash call to compete for a ball on the deck, and stays in even after Owens warns him. The more I look at it, the more I can't believe Owens didn't penalise him. Penalty Toulon all day.

There was a similar situation away to Castres, where Matthew Carley bottled a call, again letting Copeland off the hook in injury time.

My point is that for all the great work Copeland can do, is there a possibility coaches don't trust him because of these moments of madness at pivotal times in games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Potentially but it's also case of moving away helps with that,so if he stays where he is he might not progress at same rate. Either way, wish him all the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Been going to Thomond for nearly 30 years from AIL days through to professionalism, that's up there as one of the great days for me. Toulon - they're the physically biggest side I've ever seen take to the field here - they are HUGE. But it's the size of the fight in the dog... the harder they fall etc though... :)

Real blood and guts stuff from both sides, humdinger of a match and so many moments. I thought Zebo should have been carded and penalty try... after 47 seconds! Nigel was Nigel... I'm finding him to be a very erratic ref these days. Toulon fans are well within their right to feel a bit aggrieved with him. For us - the Wootton try should have stood and I've my doubts about Ashton's one. Will have to see it back tomorrow. That first half lasted forever - they had us on the rack for 25+ mins, we couldn't seem to even clear the ball properly but clawed our way back into it.

Some excellent (and brave) last ditch tackling by Conway, Wootton and Arnold (I think) kept us in it. Murray showed great smarts for his try. And as for Conway's try... worthy of winning any match, one of the best tries I've ever seen scored there - can't describe the feeling that went through the crowd when he went over, 'tis what I imagine heroin feels like! The crowd were great today, feral, and definitely won/saved us more than a couple of points on the scoreboard. Full house long after the final whistle too to salute the players, who to a man were superb:

The Fatties - did well in the few scrums we had, loved especially the moment the subs came on and absolutely demolished them. Ryan and Cronin ate them without salt. Rhys hit his lineouts and Killer sewed it into them. Cronin was a menace when he came on too and got the vital turnover at the death.

The Engine Room - 36 tackles, 2 missed. Kleyn was a monster today. Len on Live95 made a point that Billy Holland would have been studying their lineout for weeks - I know POM will get the plaudits (and rightly so) but you can be damn sure it was Billy Holland poring over the hours and hours of footage - we took them to the cleaners in that department.

Backrow - 40 tackles between them, CJ was 17/2 and still had time for 15 carries - the man is an absolute machine. POM was unstoppable, destroyed their lineout single-handedly and led us over the line. JOD needed a big game and boy did he deliver, was utterly spent going off. Two of Toulon's backrow were sacked backwards for only 21m from their combined 32 carries

Halfbacks - Running out of things to say about Murray to be honest, up there as Munster and Ireland's all-time greatest player - he is that good and has been for so long. Keats kicked vital goals, not his best day but not a poor one either - brave to a fault too with what was sent down his channel.

Centres - special word for these two, up against two of the game's greats in No'nu and Bastearaud and they came out on top, Arnold was everywhere - this guy is still only 21!! (well, 22 in a week) and he was the best centre on the pitch today. MOTM for me with POM. Scannell gave us so much go forward, such an underrated player. No'nu didn't want to know about - knew his head was gone when he chucked the ball rattily into the crowd at half time and the geaits of him walking off. Basteauraud berating his teammate for not passing for the near-try and then storming off down the tunnel straight away at full-time - our two got to them in a big way. Big boon for Arnold and Scannell, g'wan!

Back 3 - Wootton was robbed of a try I thought, but we undoubtedly got the rub of the green on other occasions. Zebo going off turned out well for us in the long run, he hasn't been at the races. Sad way to go though, you could see how much it hurt him to leave like that - he'll be back to us I reckon. Sweetnam did very well bar a handoff I thought. And Conway... that's one for the scrapbook!

If I'm honest I've a bit of a feeling that was our 'final' today, for me we're missing that top few % to win it outright, but who knows - 'tis cup rugby. Get Cloete back (the nutter is back in light contact training already apparently) and a couple of others (no idea of the timelines of Earls/Jaco/Farrell?) and that might be the impetus we need. Great to have a semi final to look forward to, I was in Bordeaux in 2000 when the victory away to Toulouse kickstarted the Munster we know now, would love to be there for the present incarnation.

Need to calm down now, f**king hell, the things our teams do to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Highlights are on tg4 now at 9.45pm, following the extra time in the hurling game.

4m45s: "Non... NON!... he still has it... Conway... Conway.. who accelerates!... who goes through!... woah... woah... it's incredible! it's incredible!... this.... miraculous try!... miraculous!... what madness!.... that try by Conway... an Irish miracle exists!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Conway could have scored very easily in the corner but had the confidence to beat last defender to make the kick easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think Conor Murray's knowledge of the rules was pretty pivotal too.
    Yeah his laws knowledge is up with some of the best. All too often players dont know their laws anywhere near enough to change things. Muldoon is another like that
    Aside from stamping on prone players, BOD and Hayes were great lads. Aside from kneeing someone in the head, Heaslip was a great lad. Aside from gouging, Jennings and Quinlan were great lads.

Ashton is a decent bloke and a great player. People had a chip on their shoulder about him long before he was ever suspended. I hope he smashes the T14 try scoring record and shows England what they're missing.
    He'll smash the season record and yeah agree on people having chip about him.

Really electric atmosphere in the ground even i didnt see much of the game. Cronin was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Toulon
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Nobody complains when Conway does it. :(;)

did he do it today no , so dry up

pzUZLi3_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,095 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeah his laws knowledge is up with some of the best. All too often players dont know their laws anywhere near enough to change things. Muldoon is another like that

Nor viewers. I'm no expert but I didn't know what he was thinking. Thought Owens did really well sorting it out.

Who needs pictures, skip to 03:09:25 for Michael Corcoran commentary :pac:

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_10855304_414_31-03-2018_

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

pzUZLi3_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Is the ball not out there? Some people saying the ball was in touch and crossed the plane of touch and under new rules should not have been given?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Toulon
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    Is the ball not out there? Some people saying the ball was in touch and crossed the plane of touch and under new rules should not have been given?

What rules are you talking about?? Once the player isn't in touch, that's what counts.

davo2001 wrote: »
    What rules are you talking about?? Once the player isn't in touch, that's what counts.

There's a notional invisible wall in some circumstances. Not sure if this is one of those circumstances.

The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:
    The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.
    A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
    A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.

Those are the actual laws

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Not a fan of Ben Whitehouse but he did well on the touchline for that Conway try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

In touch under the OLD laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Two massive performances two weeks in a row.

Thought they got the Zebo incident spot on, ball knocked on by Ashton.

Murray's try was pure luck but he knew enough to touch it down and let Nigel decide on it being a try.

Obviously, we depended on defending a lot of that game but our defence was excellent, top notch stuff from Arnold who was my MotM.

If Nigel had allowed play to continue from Sweetman's "knock on" then I think Wooton's try would have stood.

I thought we were gone when Ashton scored, peach of a try, could argue about the last pass, Nigel put the whistle to his mouth but must have decided it was marginal, anyway they cut us open and Ashton ran a beauty of a support line. Lovely try from them.

Thankfully, Conway caught that kick while in play and somehow managed to weave through Toulon to make the conversion that bit easier. If that ball found touch I'm not sure we'd have scored, their defence would have reset.

Those last few mins were as intense and as exciting as multi phases v Saints in the leadup to ROG's drop goal.

Toulon
    Because the hurling overran, anyone that had preset sky to record the highlights on tg4 has missed it..

phog wrote: »
    Two massive performances two weeks in a row.

Thought they got the Zebo incident spot on, ball knocked on by Ashton.

Murray's try was pure luck but he knew enough to touch it down and let Nigel decide on it being a try.

Obviously, we depended on defending a lot of that game but our defence was excellent, top notch stuff from Arnold who was my MotM.

If Nigel had allowed play to continue from Sweetman's "knock on" then I think Wooton's try would have stood.

I thought we were gone when Ashton scored, peach of a try, could argue about the last pass, Nigel put the whistle to his mouth but must have decided it was marginal, anyway they cut us open and Ashton ran a beauty of a support line. Lovely try from them.

Thankfully, Conway caught that kick while in play and somehow managed to weave through Toulon to make the conversion that bit easier. If that ball found touch I'm not sure we'd have scored, their defence would have reset.

Those last few mins were as intense and as exciting as multi phases v Saints in the leadup to ROG's drop goal.

I have to say, I cannot see where the ball was knocked on allowing Murray to take the ball and score.
    Honestly mystified. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Reggie Corrigan
    I have to say, I cannot see where the ball was knocked on allowing Murray to take the ball and score.

Nigel Owens couldn't either.
    But dems de breaks.

A lucky day out. I'd rather one of those than the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭irelandrover

kuang1 wrote: »
    Nigel Owens couldn't either.
    But dems de breaks.

A lucky day out. I'd rather one of those than the opposite.

even if its not knocked on, since he picked up the ball its out of the ruck anyway?

Toulon

Ball picked up at the back of the scrum... dropped..it travelled forward... only 1 roll, but that's enough 100% a good try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Because the hurling overran, anyone that had preset sky to record the highlights on tg4 has missed it..

Just watched it on saorview connect.
    Not obvious where it was. I had to go into 'Saturday' and it was in there. Wasn't in latest or most popular programmes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Can someone explain to me why following Radradra loosing control, trying to score a try was advantage not played = and a 22 dropout called?
    Instead it was a scrum to Munster ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Chiparus wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why following Radradra loosing control, trying to score a try was advantage not played = and a 22 dropout called?
    Instead it was a scrum to Munster ?
    Because the whistle was blown to stop the game and see if a try was scored.

Advertisement