Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish DF or French Foreign Legion

Options
13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob


    When you join the legion they become your family. Christmas is with the legion

    Have many friends who have gone there and done from 7-15 years so far

    If you want it bad enough you will go after it. If you're good enough they will have you but you have to prove that.
    One thing to get in another thing to be good enough.


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl


    OP appears at 16”



    :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000


    preacher2 wrote:
    So you didnt serve. Thats what I am going to take from this. I have wanted to be a soldier from the age of 3 and thanks to the internet i know a lot more than you think when it comes to military. ****ing knob


    The only thing you seem to know is the inability to read properly. I would however love to see a drill instructor tear a little sh*t like you a new one. But with your attitude you wouldn't get beyond the recruiting officer.


  • Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Jacko753


    Admitting to being a terrorist sympathiser on the internet. You sir arent too sharp are you?

    Get a grip and learn about the war in Iraq because if you're calling me a terrorist sympathiser you clearly haven't got a clue.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28


    Jacko753 wrote: »
    Admitting to being a terrorist sympathiser on the internet. You sir arent too sharp are you?

    Get a grip and learn about the war in Iraq because if you're calling me a terrorist sympathiser you clearly haven't got a clue.

    Ok Snowflake. Back to bed with ypu you are starting to turn into a horrend-a-c-u-n-t


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco


    preacher2 wrote: »
    Next option is British, but F that..
    How is your French? Because that's all they speak in the FFL. At least with the brits, you'll be speaking english.


  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA




  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2


    the_syco wrote: »
    How is your French? Because that's all they speak in the FFL. At least with the brits, you'll be speaking english.

    Im learning french now and they also give youna course there. Most people go in with less french than i already have...


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2


    GMSA wrote: »

    Man appreciate the article thanks dude. I would really like if the ARW went on counter terrorism ops internationally with other units from say UK or US but Im not sure if they do or not..

    Thanks alot dude!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2


    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    The only thing you seem to know is the inability to read properly. I would however love to see a drill instructor tear a little sh*t like you a new one. But with your attitude you wouldn't get beyond the recruiting officer.

    Your name is Hitman? I mean? Its pretty obvious youve never served. You think I have a bad attitude because I showed interest in SF, then you say **** about recruitment which you know nothing about. Your like an all round retard, you know? Like a one size fits all kind of twat...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco


    preacher2 wrote: »
    Im learning french now and they also give youna course there. Most people go in with less french than i already have...
    Whilst this is true, you're expected to pick it up quickly. Going in with a good knowledge of French helps. As does a very good level of fitness. Get a physical done, and check your family history for any common issues.


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco


    preacher2 wrote: »
    I would really like if the ARW went on counter terrorism ops internationally with other units from say UK or US but Im not sure if they do or not..
    The greatest thing about any special ops unit is how little people know about them. Heck, before one or two high profile rescue/operations in the past decade, the general public didn't know what the ARW did.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2


    the_syco wrote: »
    Whilst this is true, you're expected to pick it up quickly. Going in with a good knowledge of French helps. As does a very good level of fitness. Get a physical done, and check your family history for any common issues.

    Thanks man


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000


    preacher2 wrote:
    Your name is Hitman? I mean? Its pretty obvious youve never served. You think I have a bad attitude because I showed interest in SF, then you say **** about recruitment which you know nothing about. Your like an all round retard, you know? Like a one size fits all kind of twat...


    You can tell yourself all you want that i never served, I don't have to justify myself or my service to a little sh*t like you. Unless you drop the attitude the only uniform you will ever wear will be for McDonald's or BK. With that I'm gone from this mess of a thread for good. Enjoy your school holidays.


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran


    [MOD]...The hell?

    Locking, while I see what bans need to be put into place.[/MOD]


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran


    OK, in no particular order other than that I'm getting to them.

    Testicles, warning for the simple "You're 12, right?" Not a constructive post, which set the tone of the next five pages. Advice on attitude readjustment for the OP could, perhaps be better phrased.

    Blazer: Similar can be said about your first few posts.

    Preacher2. Banned for two weeks. Seeking information is fine, as is dreaming big. If he wants to be SF, why not? However, insulting those who are on here is not. One of the Army Values (I'm US Army, we do that sort of thing) is "Respect". Preacher may be excused for all the silliness about Tiers, which I don't believe I've ever heard anyone wearing uniforms talk about, and I've been in for nigh on 20 years now. He may not, however, be excused from personal abuse, foul language (exacerbated by poor spelling and grammar), and general disrespect. Being one year away from joining the military is fine. Bear in mind, however, that a number of us have been in for decades, in the service of various countries, and we do not slag each other off (much) because of the country we have chosen to serve, so all things are relative.

    Endacl, same as Blazer. Insults and mockery do not become this forum. We're -supposed- to be disciplined in the military....

    Hitman3000: Infraction, can't go around calling people "A little s**t". You're taking things this too seriously.

    Jacko753: Banned for a week. Non-constructive posts which, in my opinion, are aimed to foment reaction and are contrary to the good order and enjoyment of the forum. (A nice little catch-all in the forum charter).


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran


    Just to jump on the thread while it's still open, if that's okay? Would someone with the OPs attitude and temperment get into the military?

    Depends on the military, I guess. Those like the Irish which have many more applicants than places will undertake a boarding process, which may or may not reveal such. If revealed, I would assume accession would be denied. The US Army is more objective, if you meet the basic requirements of education, aptitude, criminal record, and physical fitness and capability (which alone rules out over 2/3 of the US population), they'll take you.

    Once in, either the attitude is kept as is, in which case graduation is not guaranteed, or, more likely, a perspective change is forced, a rearrangement of priorities as to what is really important.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath


    preacher2 wrote: »
    Man i only asked a question. To get a bunch of pussies who think they are rambo commenting is funny as ****.

    It seems its you that is trying to be Rambo.

    You are on a small indiginous internet forum, telling people you want to see 'action' in an international Tier 1 or 2 SOF Unit.

    While doing this, you are dismissing a large portion of actual soldiering. The type of soldiering experience you need first before progressing to SOF work.

    It seems your attitude will hold you back IF indeed you do make it into any military. Best of luck getting in somewhere but you are not the type of person you want soldiering next to you. Sort yourself out.

    Youre 17, you have zero military experience or appreciation and you think you will be at the forefront of nonconventional tactics within 5 years while not doing the 99.9% of actual soldiering.....which is sitting on your well trained ass until something happens.

    And when it does happen, its not pretty.

    - Irish soldier currently sitting on his ass in South Lebanon.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000


    - Irish soldier currently sitting on his ass in South Lebanon.


    Stay safe.


  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d


    preacher2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

    So basically I want to join military obviously and my real dream is to get into a special operations unit (which I am aware is one of the hardest things on earth to do but hey, someones gotta do it..). So i was initially looking at moving to US and then joining their military, SF is a lot easier to get into there (tier 2 units) however I really dont think US is for me so Im narrowed down to either Irish DF or British Army or French Legion Etrangere (FFL)...

    So we all know the most amount of action you will get in the Irish Army is going to the shooting range, and we really dont fully know if the ARW actually get any action at all. The whole Irish Army just seems to be a practice practice and then keep practicing... for nothing.

    Im not willing to sacrifice 5 years of my life to an army that is going to do F all..
    (I dont consider sitting on a Lebonese border post with binoculers action).

    Next option is British, but F that..

    So next up we have French. Common misconception: The legion is full of murders. No. Not true. Interpol backround check everyone that enters the legion.
    So these guys are very well respected and very very good when it comes to combat. I will be able to get some ACTUAL action, no high vis blue helmets, no sitting on my ass all day during deployments. The best unit I can join are the Commando Parachute Group (GCP) or Commando Mountain Group (GCM). These two units are basically tier 2 units however French SOC do not recognise any tier 2 units unlike many other countries. They only recognise tier 1 units. An example of a T1 unit for those who dont know are the likes of DEVGRU, 1SFODD, 22SAS etc. However, my dream is for a T1 unit, but T2 will do I guess... But the thing is, the legion is 5 years away from home, family and all my loved ones who I will miss growing older etc... Its 40 days leave yearly (after the first year).

    So really just asking for anyone who has experience with Irish Army or FFL to help me, I'm struck. Anyone who wants to see what the FFL GCP is, just search French GCP and you will see a general idea of what sort of level they are on..

    Thanks

    Il start by saying u don’t seem to have a clue what ur on about. Il have u know the Irish army is one of the most respected army’s in the world. Then u go on about the range wing once again u haven’t a clue. No one but the actual arw no exactly how much stuff they do actually get up to.
    You the say British sf but f that.
    Why would it be to hard for you. I’d actually imagine being in a legion sf force would be harder again.
    Back to the arw. How many sf compilations around the world have they won? Il tell u first hand it’s a lot more then ud think. I’d actually nearly be right in saying ur getting all this gun ho crap from tv if u actually went and done some soldiering people would have a lot more respect for you.
    U say the Irish army does nothing. Well u clearly haven’t seen the videos of East Timor Liberia chad etc go check them out and come back to us. I’ve personally withnessed crazy stuff in Africa and East Timor.
    Anyways do ur self a favour if ur going to try join a army at least have loyalty to ur own country. But ur going to need a massive attitude adjustment. Then if u do actually manage to get into the df do some years do overseas get some experience then maybe try the arw selection course that will definitely sort u out and see if u have what it take............
    I won’t go on any more just get it all into perspective


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28


    Bmw123d wrote: »
    preacher2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

    So basically I want to join military obviously and my real dream is to get into a special operations unit (which I am aware is one of the hardest things on earth to do but hey, someones gotta do it..). So i was initially looking at moving to US and then joining their military, SF is a lot easier to get into there (tier 2 units) however I really dont think US is for me so Im narrowed down to either Irish DF or British Army or French Legion Etrangere (FFL)...

    So we all know the most amount of action you will get in the Irish Army is going to the shooting range, and we really dont fully know if the ARW actually get any action at all. The whole Irish Army just seems to be a practice practice and then keep practicing... for nothing.

    Im not willing to sacrifice 5 years of my life to an army that is going to do F all..
    (I dont consider sitting on a Lebonese border post with binoculers action).

    Next option is British, but F that..

    So next up we have French. Common misconception: The legion is full of murders. No. Not true. Interpol backround check everyone that enters the legion.
    So these guys are very well respected and very very good when it comes to combat. I will be able to get some ACTUAL action, no high vis blue helmets, no sitting on my ass all day during deployments. The best unit I can join are the Commando Parachute Group (GCP) or Commando Mountain Group (GCM). These two units are basically tier 2 units however French SOC do not recognise any tier 2 units unlike many other countries. They only recognise tier 1 units. An example of a T1 unit for those who dont know are the likes of DEVGRU, 1SFODD, 22SAS etc. However, my dream is for a T1 unit, but T2 will do I guess... But the thing is, the legion is 5 years away from home, family and all my loved ones who I will miss growing older etc... Its 40 days leave yearly (after the first year).

    So really just asking for anyone who has experience with Irish Army or FFL to help me, I'm struck. Anyone who wants to see what the FFL GCP is, just search French GCP and you will see a general idea of what sort of level they are on..

    Thanks

    Il start by saying u don’t seem to have a clue what ur on about. Il have u know the Irish army is one of the most respected army’s in the world. Then u go on about the range wing once again u haven’t a clue. No one but the actual arw no exactly how much stuff they do actually get up to.
    You the say British sf but f that.
    Why would it be to hard for you. I’d actually imagine being in a legion sf force would be harder again.
    Back to the arw. How many sf compilations around the world have they won? Il tell u first hand it’s a lot more then ud think. I’d actually nearly be right in saying ur getting all this gun ho crap from tv if u actually went and done some soldiering people would have a lot more respect for you.
    U say the Irish army does nothing. Well u clearly haven’t seen the videos of East Timor Liberia chad etc go check them out and come back to us. I’ve personally withnessed crazy stuff in Africa and East Timor.
    Anyways do ur self a favour if ur going to try join a army at least have loyalty to ur own country. But ur going to need a massive attitude adjustment. Then if u do actually manage to get into the df do some years do overseas get some experience then maybe try the arw selection course that will definitely sort u out and see if u have what it take............
    I won’t go on any more just get it all into perspective

    They're not though are they?


  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d


    They're not though are they?

    There not what


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28


    Bmw123d wrote: »
    They're not though are they?

    There not what

    One of the most regarded armed forces in the world 😂😂😂


  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d


    One of the most regarded armed forces in the world 😂😂😂

    U clearly no sweet f a then because they actually are. U won’t make a good Irish soldier if that’s what u think.
    And to be regarded as a top army. It’s not about having all the top gear as in tanks ships planes etc
    It’s about the soldier and the Irish army soldier is quite highly regarded yes and on that note the have some of the best issues personal kit amoungst most army’s.

    Check ur information out that’s all I can say


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28


    Bmw123d wrote: »
    One of the most regarded armed forces in the world 😂😂😂

    U clearly no sweet f a then because they actually are. U won’t make a good Irish soldier if that’s what u think.
    And to be regarded as a top army. It’s not about having all the top gear as in tanks ships planes etc
    It’s about the soldier and the Irish army soldier is quite highly regarded yes and on that note the have some of the best issues personal kit amoungst most army’s.

    Check ur information out that’s all I can say


    Learn english and yes the Irish Soldier is well reknowned. Just not in the IDF 😂😂😂

    There's more Irish Soldiers in the British Army's teeth arms than the entire IDF. 😂😂😊


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭realdanbreen


    preacher2 wrote: »
    and I dont feel like wearing a union jack on my arm and fighting for a country that was so disgusting towards my own. Thats how it is for me and many others alike...


    You don't fancy wearing a union jack on your arm or fighting for a country that was so disgusting towards your own? But you would have no problem donning a French uniform and a Foreign legion one at that! Have you any idea what the French got up to in Africa , Algeria in particular, and the destruction that they caused down through the years?


  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d


    Learn english and yes the Irish Soldier is well reknowned. Just not in the IDF 😂😂😂

    There's more Irish Soldiers in the British Army's teeth arms than the entire IDF. 😂😂😊

    Ur a lost cause no hope for u. I’m out of this thread. Go join the British army then.
    IDF=israeli defence forces.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28


    Bmw123d wrote: »
    Learn english and yes the Irish Soldier is well reknowned. Just not in the IDF 😂😂😂

    There's more Irish Soldiers in the British Army's teeth arms than the entire IDF. 😂😂😊

    Ur a lost cause no hope for u. I’m out of this thread. Go join the British army then.
    IDF=israeli defence forces.

    I'm not irish?

    Back to your cave. Learn English.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28


    No waiting lists for BA or FFL


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d


    I'm not irish?

    Back to your cave. Learn English.

    This explains a lot.
    Ur a keyboard worrier u wouldn’t have what it takes to join the reserve defence forces. U would need a serious attitude adjustment to be accepted in any military force


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement