Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish DF or French Foreign Legion

Options
  • 26-03-2018 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi all,

So basically I want to join military obviously and my real dream is to get into a special operations unit (which I am aware is one of the hardest things on earth to do but hey, someones gotta do it..). So i was initially looking at moving to US and then joining their military, SF is a lot easier to get into there (tier 2 units) however I really dont think US is for me so Im narrowed down to either Irish DF or British Army or French Legion Etrangere (FFL)...

So we all know the most amount of action you will get in the Irish Army is going to the shooting range, and we really dont fully know if the ARW actually get any action at all. The whole Irish Army just seems to be a practice practice and then keep practicing... for nothing.

Im not willing to sacrifice 5 years of my life to an army that is going to do F all..
    (I dont consider sitting on a Lebonese border post with binoculers action).

Next option is British, but F that..

So next up we have French. Common misconception: The legion is full of murders. No. Not true. Interpol backround check everyone that enters the legion.
    So these guys are very well respected and very very good when it comes to combat. I will be able to get some ACTUAL action, no high vis blue helmets, no sitting on my ass all day during deployments. The best unit I can join are the Commando Parachute Group (GCP) or Commando Mountain Group (GCM). These two units are basically tier 2 units however French SOC do not recognise any tier 2 units unlike many other countries. They only recognise tier 1 units. An example of a T1 unit for those who dont know are the likes of DEVGRU, 1SFODD, 22SAS etc. However, my dream is for a T1 unit, but T2 will do I guess... But the thing is, the legion is 5 years away from home, family and all my loved ones who I will miss growing older etc... Its 40 days leave yearly (after the first year).

So really just asking for anyone who has experience with Irish Army or FFL to help me, I'm struck. Anyone who wants to see what the FFL GCP is, just search French GCP and you will see a general idea of what sort of level they are on..

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

preacher2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

So basically I want to join military obviously and my real dream is to get into a special operations unit (which I am aware is one of the hardest things on earth to do but hey, someones gotta do it..). So i was initially looking at moving to US and then joining their military, SF is a lot easier to get into there (tier 2 units) however I really dont think US is for me so Im narrowed down to either Irish DF or British Army or French Legion Etrangere (FFL)...

So we all know the most amount of action you will get in the Irish Army is going to the shooting range, and we really dont fully know if the ARW actually get any action at all. The whole Irish Army just seems to be a practice practice and then keep practicing... for nothing.

Im not willing to sacrifice 5 years of my life to an army that is going to do F all..

So next up we have French. Common misconception: The legion is full of murders. No. Not true. Interpol backround check everyone that enters the legion.
    So these guys are very well respected and very very good when it comes to combat. I will be able to get some ACTUAL action, no high vis blue helmets, no sitting on my ass all day during deployments. The best unit I can join are the Commando Parachute Group (GCP) or Commando Mountain Group (GCM). These two units are basically tier 2 units however French SOC do not recognise any tier 2 units unlike many other countries. They only recognise tier 1 units. An example of a T1 unit for those who dont know are the likes of DEVGRU, 1SFODD, 22SAS etc. However, my dream is for a T1 unit, but T2 will do I guess... But the thing is, the legion is 5 years away from home, family and all my loved ones who I will miss growing older etc... Its 40 days leave yearly (after the first year).

So really just asking for anyone who has experience with Irish Army or FFL to help me, I'm struck. Anyone who wants to see what the FFL GCP is, just search French GCP and you will see a general idea of what sort of level they are on..

Thanks

Not sure why you would discount the British army, I would say lots of elements would be more rigorous and disciplined than the FFL..

I might suggest (assuming you haven't) getting a familiarisation visit etc with then. Having a chat might focus expectations and ideals. What age are you?

I would also not expect to get a nod in at any reasonable positions in FFL, fairly insular bunch and they are loathe to put non French in decent roles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 preacher2

Not sure why you would discount the British army, I would say lots of elements would be more rigorous and disciplined than the FFL..

I might suggest (assuming you haven't) getting a familiarisation visit etc with then. Having a chat might focus expectations and ideals. What age are you?

I would also not expect to get a nod in at any reasonable positions in FFL, fairly insular bunch and they are loathe to put non French in decent roles..

Ye I get you completely, FFL legionnaires cant become NCOs unless its like 15 years, I may be wrong, and I dont feel like wearing a union jack on my arm and fighting for a country that was so disgusting towards my own. Thats how it is for me and many others alike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

preacher2 wrote:

preacher2 wrote:
    Im not willing to sacrifice 5 years of my life to an army that is going to do F all.. (I dont consider sitting on a Lebonese border post with binoculers action).

These 2 paragraphs show you know zero about the ARW and totally clueless as to what peacekeeping entails. Maybe educate yourself instead of posting ill informed rubbish.

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Good one but no sorry to disappoint.

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    These 2 paragraphs show you know zero about the ARW and totally clueless as to what peacekeeping entails. Maybe educate yourself instead of posting ill informed rubbish.

Well first of all I know a lot about ARW and peacekeeping, but I am sorry to piss on your bonfire but Irish peacekeepers do **** all. Simple. I am not sure about whether or not ARW even get deployed for Tier 1 missions or not and unless you are a ranger or you are special ops command etc you dont know either so how about you keep your ugly face shut ye thanks pal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The closest kid you’ll get to a SF unit is in call of duty. Now trot off to bed before your mother finds you posting rubbish on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well first of all I know a lot about ARW and peacekeeping, but I am sorry to piss on your bonfire but Irish peacekeepers do **** all. Simple. I am not sure about whether or not ARW even get deployed for Tier 1 missions or not and unless you are a ranger or you are special ops command etc you dont know either so how about you keep your ugly face shut ye thanks pal

Have a relative who was in Chad as part of a special ops group who came back with medals for some big rescue. You coulddo a lot worse.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Jacko753

Hi all,

Thanks

Have a few mates in the Irish army you get paid great money for doing feck all and when you come back you are known as a hero keeping the peace.

I think a good portion of Ireland is truly deluded about what the Irish army actually does. Go with the Irish army but if you want action go with the legion.

preacher2 wrote:

You know nothing of operational deployment of the ARW and completely ignorant of the role of peacekeepers, lastly your last few words prove another poster correct in his guess . You are a child. Go to bed. I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Christ the troll accounts are out tonight.its ban hammer time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

You want to go and get action?

You realise the ultimate goal of an army or "defence" force is the protection of people?

You sound like a kid who learned one class karate and then gies looking for a fight .

Might be best you have a chat with a real army officer so you can tell him or her you want to shoot some badies and then they can put you in your place

You know nothing of operational deployment of the ARW and completely ignorant of the role of peacekeepers, lastly your last few words prove another poster correct in his guess . You are a child. Go to bed. I'm out.

The Irish army do absolutely nothing and they make good money doing it.

Jacko753 wrote: »

Say that to all the flooding victims they help and back up they provide when required

First of all Id like to thank all the guys who gave me some more insight into what they know, helps alot lads cheers.

For all the rambos and ****in donkeys chattin ****, get off your keyboard and go do something worthy of your life. Im here trying to better mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Ye I get you completely, FFL legionnaires cant become NCOs unless its like 15 years, I may be wrong, and I dont feel like wearing a union jack on my arm and fighting for a country that was so disgusting towards my own. Thats how it is for me and many others alike...

Yet half of the Irish Guards are from ROI and a good 40% of the Royal Irish are alao from ROI...

It's a job ffs you dont have to sell your soul.

You want to go and get action?

You realise the ultimate goal of an army or "defence" force is the protection of people?

You sound like a kid who learned one class karate and then gies looking for a fight .

Might be best you have a chat with a real army officer so you can tell him or her you want to shoot some badies and then they can put you in your place

You realise the British army is full of chavs who think just like that? The two main reasons people join the British army are lack of opportunity or for the action.

Jacko753 wrote:

Another knowledgeable child. They're all up late tonight, no school tomorrow.

Blazer wrote: »
    The closest kid you’ll get to a SF unit is in call of duty. Now trot off to bed before your mother finds you posting rubbish on the net.

We will see about that. But ill take your advice because ill take any advice from an actual operator.

Thanks for your service in the Special Keyboard and Tactics Group keep up the work and stay safe out there.

****ing donkey

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Blazer wrote: »
    Christ the troll accounts are out tonight.its ban hammer time.

Easter holidays. Wait till Sunday when they’re all ramped up on chocolate!

• Advertisement

For all the rambos and ****in donkeys chattin ****, get off your keyboard and go do something worthy of your life. Im here trying to better mine.

By slating the Irish defence force among with other posters is not you bettering yourself.

Your attitude stinks and to be honest I think the US marines would be best suited to give you a kick up your hole to give you some actually respect for what they do.

It's not all guns blazing, man down, toss that granade that call of duty has thought you.

It's years of hard work and training, months away from family, following orders to a T and possibly having to see action which isn't for everyone

Yet half of the Irish Guards are from ROI and a good 40% of the Royal Irish are alao from ROI...

Until you have to kill some 14 year old Iraqi or otherwise who's trying to kill you because you killed his entire family in an airstrike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Say that to all the flooding victims they help and back up they provide when required

How often do they do that every 6 months or so. Most of the work of the Irish army could be done by the fire brigade if they were better resourced.

Can you honestly say that you have any idea of what being cold and wet really feels like?

If you can't.

Try it then get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This thread should be merged with the ‘what’s the food like in the foreign legion’ one....

Another knowledgeable child. They're all up late tonight, no school tomorrow.

Are you in the army? Don't like me ruining you're hero perception of yourself?

Also seems like a lot o twats who have a very limited vocabulary and with that a very limited amount of insults. All ive heard so far is "your like 12".

No im actually 1 year off being able to join a military. Just to clear that up and since your all pretty retarded anyway i guess ill have to make it even easier! I am 17.

And unlike the ones chatting **** im actually going to do some service but I dont want that to be on a Lebonese border post on my ass while soldiers are fighting in places that need to be fought in.

I dont want to kill anyone, I want to help people who are oppressed, I want to fight terrorism, free hostages and better the world by fighting the bad. But when people like yous go out of your way to chat ****... on the INTERNET it proves that there is still a lot of bad in my own country.

Jacko753 wrote: »

Until you have to kill some 14 year old Iraqi or otherwise who's trying to kill you because you killed his entire family in an airstrike.

OP is asking about where is best to soldier. Not really relevent is it?

Also seems like a lot o twats who have a very limited vocabulary and with that a very limited amount of insults. All ive heard so far is "your like 12".

No im actually 1 year off being able to join a military. Just to clear that up and since your all pretty retarded anyway i guess ill have to make it even easier! I am 17.

And unlike the ones chatting **** im actually going to do some service but I dont want that to be on a Lebonese border post on my ass while soldiers are fighting in places that need to be fought in.

I dont want to kill anyone, I want to help people who are oppressed, I want to fight terrorism, free hostages and better the world by fighting the bad. But when people like yous go out of your way to chat ****... on the INTERNET it proves that there is still a lot of bad in my own country.

You can join the British Army now if your really wanted to. Learn a trade at no cost to yourself. Getting time served. Of you love it stay on passed your 4 years if not leave and you have atrade and tine served to get out and earn some real money.

• Advertisement

Jacko753 wrote:
    Are you in the army? Don't like me ruining you're hero perception of yourself?

Sorry dude I ain't feeding you. Off to bed with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement