Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Play Horror Stories

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

I played the other day with another member I’d never met before (I’m new enough to the club). It wasnt match play, both just playing in a Stableford competition. I started with a few bogeys but got a good run on the last 5 holes of the front 9, including a few lucky bounces to Make the turn in 23 points.

Anyway as we walked to the 10th he laid into me about my handicap being too high (17). I tried to laugh it off but to be honest he was quiet aggressive about it. Very off putting and I proceeded to play crap for the first few holes of the back 9 before getting a few pars late on.
    One of the most un enjoyable rounds I’ve ever played. Looking back I wish I’d walked away after 9 but I had a good score going and wanted to get a good card in.
    I’ve being trying to get my handicap down over the summer buy hitting the range a lot and playing regularly but struggling for a bit of consistency. Actually got .2 back over the last 2 rounds.

Don’t understand why some lads can’t accept that some people struggle for consistentcy and that’s why their handicap is high and some days you can play well score and others can’t hit snow off a rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,842 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Faiche Ro wrote: »
    I played the other day with another member I’d never met before (I’m new enough to the club). It wasnt match play, both just playing in a Stableford competition. I started with a few bogeys but got a good run on the last 5 holes of the front 9, including a few lucky bounces to Make the turn in 23 points.

Anyway as we walked to the 10th he laid into me about my handicap being too high (17). I tried to laugh it off but to be honest he was quiet aggressive about it. Very off putting and I proceeded to play crap for the first few holes of the back 9 before getting a few pars late on.
    One of the most un enjoyable rounds I’ve ever played. Looking back I wish I’d walked away after 9 but I had a good score going and wanted to get a good card in.
    I’ve being trying to get my handicap down over the summer buy hitting the range a lot and playing regularly but struggling for a bit of consistency. Actually got .2 back over the last 2 rounds.

Don’t understand why some lads can’t accept that some people struggle for consistentcy and that’s why their handicap is high and some days you can play well score and others can’t hit snow off a rope.

You can't excuse an arsehole....

But to offer his perspective.

23 is an exceptionally high score. For the 5 holes you talk about , you were near par ?. There are more than lucky bounces going on. It is good golf, not luck.

Your trying to get your handicap down and practicing so off 17 your scores are going to go high for a while. You do need a cut and have a big score in you..

If someone is off high teens hitting the ball well, getting pars , using lasers , GPS, good putter, chipping well . The eye should be on them. Be ready if someone asks and not you but walking in and being a bit sensitive is a bit much. The GUI have said we all need to understand 36 pts shouldn't be easy..

I don't like the handicap system at all . But if a lad has 23 pts at ease , has a great all round game , hits gir, a good few pars over 5 holes . I can't walk in at 9 because I'm marking his card.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

23 is an exceptionally high score. For the 5 holes you talk about , you were near par ?. There are more than lucky bounces going on. It is good golf, not luck.

Your trying to get your handicap down and practicing so off 17 your scores are going to go high for a while. You do need a cut and have a big score in you..

If someone is off high teens hitting the ball well, getting pars , using lasers , GPS, good putter, chipping well . The eye should be on them. Be ready if someone asks and not you but walking in and being a bit sensitive is a bit much. The GUI have said we all need to understand 36 pts shouldn't be easy..

I don't like the handicap system at all . But if a lad has 23 pts at ease , has a great all round game , hits gir, a good few pars over 5 holes . I can't walk in at 9 because I'm marking his card.
    It's always good to get an arsehole's perspective. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

callaway92 wrote: »
    That's very very poor etiquette but he may have A) been told by someone else that your short putting is v poor or B) have a personal rule to never give putts.

Can't see the big deal. If you drop the Putt what odds, and if you miss it clearly he was right not to give it. Don't understand people looking for freebies if they can't knock them in.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It's always good to get an arsehole's perspective. :pac:

:D

our game is packed to the rafters with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

Have to disagree somewhat Fix yes he had a good front 9, 5 pars 4 bogies by my reckoning and probably would of had a good back 9 if his playing partner had of kept his mouth shut and got a cut! But when you are playing off a high HC simple things get in on you that shouldn't 1 bad drive or poor chip someone says something etc mainly mental, Trust me I know! but speaking from experience and someone who is off 19 and desperate to get down thats the way it is maybe because your trying so hard who knows.. I have all the shots have gotten birdies, eagles, few pars in a row drove greens etc I have often played 9 holes in the evening in +2 done it loads. But golf is a game of 2 halves as we well know. Its hard to string a good 18 holes together you always have a bit of a wobble, suppose its how you cope with the wobble..

I have a pet hate of people who comment on my swing, game. I always get how are you off 19 bandit etc etc This used to affect me in a big way.. But I hand in all my cards good or bad and desperately want to get down golf for me is about chasing the low hc and the feeling you get of shooting a low score not prizes although a nice extra. I have 2 wins the odd 2nd & 3rd in my club and Im a member close to 8 yrs now.

Take my last 4 rounds, 35pts 0.1 back.. 38 pts buffer.., 38pts again buffer last sunday 31pts 0.1 back...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

benny79 wrote: »
    Have to disagree somewhat Fix yes he had a good front 9, 5 pars 4 bogies by my reckoning and probably would of had a good back 9 if his playing partner had of kept his mouth shut and got a cut! But when you are playing off a high HC simple things get in on you that shouldn't 1 bad drive or poor chip someone says something etc mainly mental, Trust me I know! but speaking from experience and someone who is off 19 and desperate to get down thats the way it is maybe because your trying so hard who knows.. I have all the shots have gotten birdies, eagles, few pars in a row drove greens etc I have often played 9 holes in the evening in +2 done it loads. But golf is a game of 2 halves as we well know. Its hard to string a good 18 holes together you always have a bit of a wobble, suppose its how you cope with the wobble..

I have a pet hate of people who comment on my swing, game. I always get how are you off 19 bandit etc etc This used to affect me in a big way.. But I hand in all my cards good or bad and desperately want to get down golf for me is about chasing the low hc and the feeling you get of shooting a low score not prizes although a nice extra. I have 2 wins the odd 2nd & 3rd in my club and Im a member close to 8 yrs now.

Take my last 4 rounds, 35pts 0.1 back.. 38 pts buffer.., 38pts again buffer last sunday 31pts 0.1 back...

38 points only in the buffer????? twice!!!!!!!

were you playing pitch and putt or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Totally off topic, but you need to look at how you approach each round.
    Try playing to your handicap before you try playing to single figures.

I bet you would shoot 36+ points without going for a single green in regulation and without hitting a single driver. If you want to lower your handicap then try having 18 bogeys instead of trying to have 18 pars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Benny I'll be honest if a player with a hcap of 19 is scoring 2 over for 9 holes on a regular basis then the hcap is not a true reflection of that players ability. It's not surprising that the word Bandit can be thrown around in such a case.
    I'm not for a moment suggesting that you are in that category but that's only because I know you try your best and play in an honest fashion. We have all seen a high handicap player that can comfortably get more that his fair share of pars and sometimes birdies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭dball

GreeBo wrote: »
    Totally off topic, but you need to look at how you approach each round.
    Try playing to your handicap before you try playing to single figures.

I bet you would shoot 36+ points without going for a single green in regulation and without hitting a single driver. If you want to lower your handicap then try having 18 bogeys instead of trying to have 18 pars.

gonna try that this weeekend
    ty

• Advertisement

dball wrote: »
    gonna try that this weeekend
    ty

yes right . Hole 2 boom boom baby.

if your getting 38 twice and only in buffer
    could be club your in is problem or has a poor ethos around handicap .

Is it a 43 /44 to win club.

if so get out.

Ya and that’s fair enough and I even said it to him initially that I could see his perspective but he needed to realise if I could score that high regularly I clearly wouldn’t be off 17.
    Ironically if he hadn’t have rattled me I would have scored higher on the back 9 and got cut more. Only got .6 cut in the end. Still off 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

yes right . Hole 2 boom boom baby.

if your getting 38 twice and only in buffer
    could be club your in is problem or has a poor ethos around handicap .

Is it a 43 /44 to win club.

if so get out.

Why?

[/B]

Why?
    Well firstly, Fix doesn't like handicaps, so anything that looks like a problem is immediately pounced on and blamed on the handicap system. He's forgetting that a lot of courses are playing easier atm because of the weather and CSS is dropping below par. Add in that it could also have a SSS below par and you can easly get more than 36 points from a net par. 40 points is not unheard of.

Faiche Ro wrote: »
    Ya and that’s fair enough and I even said it to him initially that I could see his perspective but he needed to realise if I could score that high regularly I clearly wouldn’t be off 17.
    Ironically if he hadn’t have rattled me I would have scored higher on the back 9 and got cut more. Only got .6 cut in the end. Still off 17.

To be honest - If your going to get places in golf - this is the matchplay thread.

You would need to toughen up a bit. You should have said to your man - I know , I will get cut soon - but your going up and that is not my fault.

Or ignore.

Or say - sorry mate don't mention anything about my handicap again.

Lads who get upset by the slightest thing - a mention of their score , their swing.
    Come on. You are going to face way tougher things in golf - life.

How many times did he go on about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

The first 38 CSS was 39pts The second 38 css was 38pts and the winning scores was 42 pts first & second on count back. I said it to the hc secretary loads of times (mentioned in another thread) but he said it depends on the amount of people hitting the buffer.
    But CSS is never below 37 in my club mainly averages around 38pts

Macker I dont hit +2 for 9 all the time! but have done a good few times. but its a casual 9 in the evenings, no pressure. Take this week Tues played 9 was + 4 or 5, then last nite played same 9 and I think I was +12 or more :D

Get what your saying Greebo but I try play the shots I know I can trust me & have been really working on my course management this year.

Anyway going way of topic sorry..

[/B]

Why?

Well if the lad wants to lower his handicap and is at a club with an on going high scoring CSS - he is going to find it hard to get a lower handicap.

People know if their club has sensible handicaps or not.

I'd say look up interclub stuff and if you are in one of them clubs, it would be good start to get out. Your own long term state of mind is the key here :D

Watching the competition results and watch average CSS.
    You will know what is going on.

But you know when your in a dodge club for handicap.

Anyway - a little off topic.
    I'd say Faiche Ro will get a fairly big cut fairly soon - is an honest golfer.
    The guy puling him up is not far off the mark - but hadn't the great life skill of subtlety and explaining why he is playing golf to start and with a stranger to confirm.

But if your playing near par for even 5 holes - it is perfectly ok to say to someone - "your unreal for your handicap". Because that is "unreal" (good) for a 17 handicap player.

You say back - I'm practicing like f*** and hope to get to 12 - conversation done.

I've been told - your fairly s*** for a lad off your handicap. I laugh, say I know , not practicing at present - will be off 6 soon enough,

Golfers are just a bit grumpy to be honest. Looking for the slightest offence , the place someone stands , honor, talking about scores, trying to lose the head, over standing on your line, a look over making a noise that a whale couldn't hear.

There are a lot of arseholes in golf - be ready. But feel sorry for them as opposed to be offended by them, most of them are sad bastards. A little bit of power of pulling someone up makes their life.

Well if the lad wants to lower his handicap and is at a club with an on going high scoring CSS - he is going to find it hard to get a lower handicap.
    Afaik, you can't have a CSS more than 1 under SSS.

To be honest - If your going to get places in golf - this is the matchplay thread.

You would need to toughen up a bit. You should have said to your man - I know , I will get cut soon - but your going up and that is not my fault.

Or ignore.

Or say - sorry mate don't mention anything about my handicap again.

Lads who get upset by the slightest thing - a mention of their score , their swing.
    Come on. You are going to face way tougher things in golf - life.

How many times did he go on about it ?

Ok I understand what your saying but it wasnt a ‘mere mention’ and I’m not the type to get upset over small things. He full on laid into me in an aggressive nasty way before I tee’d off on the 10th.
    I’ve told a few other people the story word for word and they can’t believe someone would be like that.

Anyway maybe it is the wrong thread, just said I’d share my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Afaik, you can't have a CSS more than 1 under SSS.

SSS can be under par though...

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    SSS can be under par though...
    Yeah, I said that in the post above Fix's. He clearly didn't read it. :D

Advertisement