Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Play Horror Stories

Options
  • 26-03-2018 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Inspired by a poster in the inter club thread, what’s the worst behavior of an opponent you’ve ever come across in a club (or other kind of) match?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Foot wedge being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

A guy standing by the tee peg on every drive about a yard from your ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Playing a foursoms match and one of my oponants kept walking on up the fairway after they had hit and before we did. Got stupid at one stage and we just made it clear he was being a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I played a match against a young guy who just flat out didn’t give any putts - silent even when the ball was a couple of inches away.

Thought he might have been unaware you could give putts but subsequently found out that that wasn’t the case (and I was giving him putts).

Would like to say I sucked it up but it did piss me off. Lost the match n all.

Another one I’d say is beware playing last in your series of matches, eg: 5th in Senior Cup. Have come across a couple of dog slow players who are putt their on purpose by their team managers. In fairness, it’s not for any great competitive advantage, but if they put him in the middle the rest of the games would be held up. I ended up 4 holes behind the penultimate match last time it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I played a match against a young guy who just flat out didn’t give any putts - silent even when the ball was a couple of inches away.

Thought he might have been unaware you could give putts but subsequently found out that that wasn’t the case (and I was giving him putts).

Would like to say I sucked it up but it did piss me off. Lost the match n all.

That's very very poor etiquette but he may have A) been told by someone else that your short putting is v poor or B) have a personal rule to never give putts.

I do have certain people that I'd consider not giving any putts to, to be honest.

Sounds like he got in your head too, so his strategy kind worked.

Again, it's not nice but you just have to suck it up from the first putt you notice he doesn't give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

callaway92 wrote: »
    That's very very poor etiquette but he may have A) been told by someone else that your short putting is v poor or B) have a personal rule to never give putts.

I do have certain people that I'd consider not giving any putts to, to be honest.

Again, it's not nice but you just have to suck it up from the first putt you notice he doesn't give.

Poor etiquette indeed. Some guys take the win at all costs mentality right to the edge and unfortunately etiquette gets thrown out the window more and more often nowadays.
    I know some people advocate not giving anything and as a player you really shouldn't expect anything (i.e. if you expect to be given it you shouldn't be upset at having to hole it), but seriously, don't be a d1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Playing an interclub foursomes match & 1 down playing the 17th.
    Just on the backswing on a par 3 & off goes the opponents caddie with the electric trolley. I left it short & we lose the hole. The player (not caddie) apologized later but too late for me. Thankfully no caddies allowed this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I played with a lad at our club just in one of our regular competitions but he would talk to himself before during and after his swing. So as he is addressing the ball he was saying stuff like "don't balls this up", during the swing it would be "keep the head down" and as the ball was in the air he would generally be calling himself every name under the sun. The lad was very highly strung. Thing is he really had the makings of a terrific golfer if he could just relax a little.

Worst I've seen (as a spectator) was an older guy claiming a hole off a kid in a match on the basis of a comment the kid made to a supporter along the lines of "I see the pin is right up the back of this green" to which the supporter replied something like "yeah they're up the back of a lot of the greens today". The old guy said the kid was getting advice, so picked up his ball, said he was claiming the hole and walked to the next tee. Despite the rules explicitly stating that information about a pin position is not advice.

Unfortunately the kid didn't know any better and there was no one around to fight his corner for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Russman wrote: »
    Worst I've seen (as a spectator) was an older guy claiming a hole off a kid in a metro match on the basis of a comment the kid made to a supporter along the lines of "I see the pin is right up the back of this green" to which the supporter replied something like "yeah they're up the back of a lot of the greens today". The old guy said the kid was getting advice, so picked up his ball, said he was claiming the hole and walked to the next tee. Despite the rules explicitly stating that information about a pin position is not advice.

Unfortunately the kid didn't know any better and there was no one around to fight his corner for him.

Please tell me the kid beat him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Worst I've seen (as a spectator) was an older guy claiming a hole off a kid in a metro match on the basis of a comment the kid made to a supporter along the lines of "I see the pin is right up the back of this green" to which the supporter replied something like "yeah they're up the back of a lot of the greens today". The old guy said the kid was getting advice, so picked up his ball, said he was claiming the hole and walked to the next tee. Despite the rules explicitly stating that information about a pin position is not advice.

You?

ThunderCat wrote: »

I'd love to, but no. That incident was on the 16th hole and was kind of decisive. From memory they were all square and the "claim" put yer man 1 up. To make it even worse, he had played a shot more than the kid when he made the claim and was still in a ditch !

lawred2 wrote: »
    You?

I was a few minutes too late on the scene, I'd been watching the previous match and nobody knew there was an issue as the young fella pretty much just accepted what the guy was saying. They'd hit off the next tee by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Having only joined a golf course recently I don't think I could enjoy playing singles matchplay as there are too many competitive people who would make it awkward, doubles all the way

Stacksey wrote: »
    Having only joined a golf course recently I don't think I could enjoy playing singles matchplay as there are too many competitive people who would make it awkward, doubles all the way

These stories are the rare exception, to be fair.

Na, I’m talking about putts of 2 to 6 inches in length not being given among low handicap players. I knocked a couple in one handed from the far side later on (the worst he could do was call me out of turn and make me replay).

Anyone who has a personal rule for that makes them a dick, plain and simple.

As I said, it did annoy me, which is largely my own fault. Did it decide the match? No. Did I miss any of the short putts? Not even close.

My take away learning was that if it ever happens again, I’m opting for open immediate discussion about the behavior. If a guy ever makes me mark a 3 inch putt again, I’ll let him finish, and straight away ask him what kind of attitude he’s taking - that we can be competitive without being assholes about it.

It’s just my approach. I’m comfortable and fairly calm in confrontational situations. If someone wants to be unnecessarily silly, they can answer for it.

I let it go unsaid in the first instance because I was taken by surprise, and wouldn’t do the above to a youngster.

Being too polite to say anything probably cost me a little bit (not the whole match mind). I won’t make that mistake again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ThunderCat wrote: »

Kid should have played the hole out solo, and let the authorities decide who won it afterwards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Na, I’m talking about putts of 2 to 6 inches in length not being given among low handicap players. I knocked a couple in one handed from the far side later on (the worst he could do was call me out of turn and make me replay).

As I said, it did annoy me, which is largely my own fault. Did it decide the match? No. Did I miss any of the short putts? Not even close.

My take away learning was that if it ever happens again, I’m opting for open immediate discussion about the behavior. If a guy ever makes me mark a 3 inch putt again, I’ll let him finish, and straight away ask him what kind of attitude he’s taking - that we can be competitive without being assholes about it.

It’s just my approach. I’m comfortable and fairly calm in confrontational situations. If someone wants to be unnecessarily silly, they can answer for it.

I let it go unsaid in the first instance because I was taken by surprise, and wouldn’t do the above to a youngster.

Being too polite to say anything probably cost me a little bit (not the whole match mind). I won’t make that mistake again.

If not having a putt conceded annoys you enough that you comment on it, perhaps your opponent was not as silly as you first thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was a few minutes too late on the scene, I'd been watching the previous match and nobody knew there was an issue as the young fella pretty much just accepted what the guy was saying. They'd hit off the next tee by then.

unfortunate... that auld fella was some pr!ck

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Greysquirel09

They should just make it a rule to hole out in Matchplay. Saves all this nonsense of people getting upset about it. Creates an atmosphere then. Should be competing AND enjoying a round of golf with a guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm not sure it matters if they hit off it not. Can't you dispute a hole after? Old guy should have lost hole for picking his ball up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wow he got into your head badly..From his point of view it's a job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Worst I ever had, was in a final of a big club tournament so nerves are afoot. Twice the dude had buried the head of his driver deep into the boxes in anger, f'ing and blinding all over the place, annoying but I kept my cool even when he cursed directly at me because I told him I couldn't see where he hit his ball when he played in from another fairway.

I think I was 1 up playing 12 having just lost 2 previous holes. I'm in trouble off tee and need a Provo, yer man is down the middle. I hit a good Provo and super approach to 15 foot. He makes a mess of things. I sink the putt for 5 he misses his for a half...... I kid you not, the pr1ck buried the head of his putter 5 inches deep into the green no more than a couple of foot from the hole. I told him if he did anything like it once more we were finished. Beat him 4&3 so didn't have to endure him for very long. The ignorant and wouldn't even come in for a drink after.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Seve OB wrote: »
    Worst I ever had, was in a final of a big club tournament so nerves are afoot. Twice the dude had buried the head of his driver deep into the boxes in anger, f'ing and blinding all over the place, annoying but I kept my cool even when he cursed directly at me because I told him I couldn't see where he hit his ball when he played in from another fairway.

I think I was 1 up playing 12 having just lost 2 previous holes. I'm in trouble off tee and need a Provo, yer man is down the middle. I hit a good Provo and super approach to 15 foot. He makes a mess of things. I sink the putt for 5 he misses his for a half...... I kid you not, the pr1ck buried the head of his putter 5 inches deep into the green no more than a couple of foot from the hole. I told him if he did anything like it once more we were finished. Beat him 4&3 so didn't have to endure him for very long. The ignorant and wouldn't even come in for a drink after.

They are the kinda stories we love. What a wa*ker.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Did you report him? Clown should of been kicked out of the club for that sort of carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

Played against a dick a few years ago that accused me of cleaning my ball after he asked me to mark it off the green.
    Funny enough it was one of the few rules i know and kept the ball between two fingers at all times.
    After he half duffed his chip, he accused me of wiping ball of my pants.

we had a few words or niceties as they would say, so I called a referee.
    Left every other match through while he argued with the referee.
    I won that hole and won the next 4 . He then refused to shake my hand and just walked away after he lost.
    Still see him to this day so I always make sure to say hi and asked him how his golf game is going..as he tries to ignore me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

An old one from a PP match back in the day - we were playing a neighbouring club and one of the matches pitched 2 of our older lads against 2 of theirs. All 4 were in their 50's / 60's and knew each other well.

Things were going badly for us, and about the 12th our first guy raced a putt about 6 ft past the hole. His partner shouts over to the opponent 'i suppose you'll give me that', to which one sarcastically replied 'I will yeah'.

next thing we know the ball is in our lads pocket and he's walking off complimenting his partner on a good half while the opposition raised holy hell! The referee was called in but felt he couldn't do anything as it was 'a misunderstanding' (yeah right) and the half should stand. They lost in the end anyway, but it was a very entertaining hour of golf from then on!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Seve OB wrote: »

Why didn't you report him? I hate seeing pitchmarks on the green but I'd go ballistic if I saw someone bury their club in the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

Corkblowin wrote: »
    An old one from a PP match back in the day - we were playing a neighbouring club and one of the matches pitched 2 of our older lads against 2 of theirs. All 4 were in their 50's / 60's and knew each other well.

Things were going badly for us, and about the 12th our first guy raced a putt about 6 ft past the hole. His partner shouts over to the opponent 'i suppose you'll give me that', to which one sarcastically replied 'I will yeah'.

next thing we know the ball is in our lads pocket and he's walking off complimenting his partner on a good half while the opposition raised holy hell! The referee was called in but felt he couldn't do anything as it was 'a misunderstanding' (yeah right) and the half should stand. They lost in the end anyway, but it was a very entertaining hour of golf from then on!

that is brilliant and terrible at the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I've a different type of story. I was playing fourball matchplay. Myself and partner had just hit, the other two guys were teeing off while I quietly took a sip of water. Which went against my breath badly somehow and I got full on coughing fit right on the opponent's backswing. He hit the ball (well). It was completely accidental and I apologized. But it was so badly timed he must have thought I was being a hoor.

Advertisement