Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Play Horror Stories

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

slingerz wrote: »
    not so much as a 'great putt' comment from them

was there a handshake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

had something similar this past weekend in interclub match. as i stood over a putt for a half there was a question on the number of shots whether it was for a half or if opponents were in the hole for a win. Had similar in the back 9 when a ball plugged and opponents wouldnt assist in the search. i know they dont have to but it is good manners to. There was no talk throughout the round and not even a 4 inch putt was conceded by them. immensely satisfying to see my partner hole a putt on 17 from a good 20ft to win. not so much as a 'great putt' comment from them

I absolutely HATE playing against people like that, but the only thing better is beating them.

I have to admit, I might not help massively in a search for a ball, but if I thought it was plugged I would help out because fair is fair. It all depends which happens first - if I help them and they don't return the compliment, I wouldn't help them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

Only a horror story from my perspective but during the first round of the club matchplay I devised a new formula:

I play badly + he plays well x 12 shots = carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Only a horror story from my perspective but during the first round of the club matchplay I devised a new formula:

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Club matchplay singles semi final a few years ago is my horror story. had played well to get that far. played a lad who was giving me one shot. got a dose of the shanks. couldn't hit it out of my way. honestly i was 8 down after 9 :eek:

Managed to win 5 out of the next 6 holes. lost on 16. left the course happy out after my comeback :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

While we are on the subject of horror stories and bad behaviour, has anyone got any tips for counteracting such behaviour? I remember watching a P.P match around three years ago and as I followed one match around the course, one pairing were quite blatantly bullying the opposition, telling them to hurry up when making a strategic decision, or analysing the line of a putt,. " We not here all day you know"... It worked perfectly for them as the match was over after 15, but I just thought it was bad form. It's certainly not in my nature so how would you go around fighting back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

...It's certainly not in my nature so how would you go around fighting back?

A smile and then a good shot always works well. Being extra polite kills some of these messers. Never let them get inside your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

While we are on the subject of horror stories and bad behaviour, has anyone got any tips for counteracting such behaviour? I remember watching a P.P match around three years ago and as I followed one match around the course, one pairing were quite blatantly bullying the opposition, telling them to hurry up when making a strategic decision, or analysing the line of a putt,. " We not here all day you know"... It worked perfectly for them as the match was over after 15, but I just thought it was bad form. It's certainly not in my nature so how would you go around fighting back?

Lots of ways to make light of that kind of crap.....You can give us the putt if you're in a hurry......we can skip a hole or 2 with halves if you like (if you're winning obviously)..... sure if you're under pressure we'll take a concession now....... And if they said it while I was lining up a putt.....well gee, I need to start my routine again....ball back in pocket and everything. Can't let that kind of messing get to you. Just let them know early that you're on to them. And as one of the lads above said....kill them with kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

Corkblowin wrote: »
    Lots of ways to make light of that kind of crap.....You can give us the putt if you're in a hurry......we can skip a hole or 2 with halves if you like (if you're winning obviously)..... sure if you're under pressure we'll take a concession now....... And if they said it while I was lining up a putt.....well gee, I need to start my routine again....ball back in pocket and everything. Can't let that kind of messing get to you. Just let them know early that you're on to them. And as one of the lads above said....kill them with kindness.

This exactly ^^^^ :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭moycullen14

fearruanua wrote: »
    Club matchplay singles semi final a few years ago is my horror story. had played well to get that far. played a lad who was giving me one shot. got a dose of the shanks. couldn't hit it out of my way. honestly i was 8 down after 9 :eek:

Managed to win 5 out of the next 6 holes. lost on 16. left the course happy out after my comeback :)

:):):)
    Exact same thing happened to me a few years back. I was barely hanging on to my opponent and at the 12th, I started to s**nk. Every single bloody iron for the next few holes. It was quite interesting - in an academic way - to see how far off target you can go with 3 successive sh*ks.

Didn't finish the next 3 holes. I was so embarrassed. He couldn't say anything because you can't acknowledge the shot that dare not speak its name.

I still get a sympathetic nod from him when we meet. Never mentioned, though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

I absolutely HATE playing against people like that, but the only thing better is beating them.

I have to admit, I might not help massively in a search for a ball, but if I thought it was plugged I would help out because fair is fair. It all depends which happens first - if I help them and they don't return the compliment, I wouldn't help them again.

I'd be the same myself. There was no such instance of a plugged/lost ball for them on the day however.
    RoadRunner wrote: »
    was there a handshake?

There was, a pretty limp one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭blue note

The Phil Mickelson incident reminded me a lot of this tiresome discussion. In his view he was just using the rules to his advantage and taking a two shot penalty as was his right. Similar to someone using the unplayable lie and taking the penalty as is your right. I know some people will argue that a dq was the appropriate punishment as per the rules, but the USGA disagreed.
    I just find both completely against the spirit of the rule / game. He should have been hung drawn and quartered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

blue note wrote: »
    The Phil Mickelson incident reminded me a lot of this tiresome discussion. In his view he was just using the rules to his advantage and taking a two shot penalty as was his right. Similar to someone using the unplayable lie and taking the penalty as is your right. I know some people will argue that a dq was the appropriate punishment as per the rules, but the USGA disagreed.
    I just find both completely against the spirit of the rule / game. He should have been hung drawn and quartered.

TBH, and its obviously very subjective, but I don't think using the unplayable lie rule and what Mickelson did are even remotely comparable. But that's a judgement call and some will think differently. I've no issue whatsoever with someone declaring an unplayable and replaying their shot under penalty.

Also, I don't believe for a second what Mickelson said about why he did it - IMO there's no way someone thinks that train of thought that quickly, in the heat of competition. If he was thinking that clearly and quickly, he could have just declared it unplayable and replayed the putt for a one shot penalty as opposed to the two he took.
    I think he simply lost the rag for a couple of seconds - because of course set-up, conditions, how he was playing, whatever - the red mist descended, and he did what he did. I think if he'd admitted that and said sorry and withdrawn from the tournament, most people would have shrugged and thought, "fair enough".
    He still shouldn't have teed it up Sunday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭blue note

If he had declared hitting the ball back was accidental, how would this be less believable than calling a ball on the fairway unplayable? And does him admitting it was deliberate make it any less ethical than pretending it wasn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Golf really does itself no favors with the holier than thou attitude at times. Why does this only happen in golf and not other sports?
    The stuff flying around on twitter was absurd, storm in a teacup type stuff.

The rules officials made a call he was given a 2 stroke penalty and the world somehow didnt grind to a halt. Its not like he contended, move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

This was such a great thread, pity it has descended so far off topic, needs to be euthanized mods.:(

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    This was such a great thread, pity it has descended so far off topic, needs to be euthanized mods.:(

Spot on, was a great thread. Pity really.

in the spirit of this thread i recently played an inter club matchplay singles at an away course. On the first tee my opponent told me he was going to have to win 10 & 8 as he had to make work later that evening.

Now it may have been a poor attempt at humour but it really galvanised my desire to win that night, which i did 3&2 and made sure he was late for work!!

A different perspective i played a matchplay in my home club and won the 1st 3 holes without having to take out my putter as my opponent was having such a torried time off the tee. Won 7&6 in the end!

played a match last night
    fourball
    no horror story, quite the opposite
    2 really nice opponents. actually, really really nice. we were due to play last friday ahead of the deadline, but I had a cloase family berevement so they were very kind to rearrange. i guess they didn't have to.
    great spirited game, and close to the end
    we won 3&2

Seve OB wrote: »
    played a match last night
    fourball
    no horror story, quite the opposite
    2 really nice opponents. actually, really really nice. we were due to play last friday ahead of the deadline, but I had a cloase family berevement so they were very kind to rearrange. i guess they didn't have to.
    great spirited game, and close to the end
    we won 3&2

In fairness my experience also the vast majority of people ive played matches against are like this, absolutely sound out.

However last year in a club Fourball match(semi final) myself and partner came across these 2 who we just couldn't organise a match with.
    About 2 weeks before the deadline we told them we can play any evening except Tuesdays (as i have a late meeting in work Tuesdays) and weekend at any time expecting there to be no issues. Of course they come back and the only time they can do is Tuesday evening.
    This ****e and they were not willing to sacrifice playing their regular Sunday fourball slot. We tried to work with them but they were just stubborn ****s

Eventually we gave in and organised for a Tuesday evening which i was going to be late so partner played them himself for 1st 4 holes. Arrived on the 5th teebox and we were only 2 down(not so bad).
    We got the game to 2 up but eventually ran out of steam and ended up losing 17 and 18 to lose by 1.

Never did i want to win a match so bad i probably got a bit to hung up on beating them.

• Advertisement

kiers47 wrote: »
    In fairness my experience also the vast majority of people ive played matches against are like this, absolutely sound out.

However last year in a club Fourball match(semi final) myself and partner came across these 2 who we just couldn't organise a match with.
    About 2 weeks before the deadline we told them we can play any evening except Tuesdays (as i have a late meeting in work Tuesdays) and weekend at any time expecting there to be no issues. Of course they come back and the only time they can do is Tuesday evening.
    This ****e and they were not willing to sacrifice playing their regular Sunday fourball slot. We tried to work with them but they were just stubborn ****s

Eventually we gave in and organised for a Tuesday evening which i was going to be late so partner played them himself for 1st 4 holes. Arrived on the 5th teebox and we were only 2 down(not so bad).
    We got the game to 2 up but eventually ran out of steam and ended up losing 17 and 18 to lose by 1.

Never did i want to win a match so bad i probably got a bit to hung up on beating them.

That's just a load of ****e.

I think clubs/comittiees should make a rule with matchplay where if you can't organise your game by the deadline, then they allocate a slot of times for the final date. Play then or forfeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

That's just a load of ****e.

I think clubs/comittiees should make a rule with matchplay where if you can't organise your game by the deadline, then they allocate a slot of times for the final date. Play then or forfeit.

In our place the team on the top of the draw arranges the match. Pretty nasty if common ground cannot be reached.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    In our place the team on the top of the draw arranges the match. Pretty nasty if common ground cannot be reached.

Yep exactly the same for us. Unfortunately they were just 2 sticky customers and we probably should have stood our ground. But that's the way it goes.
    Luckily enough they got beat in the final :pac:

kiers47 wrote: »
    Yep exactly the same for us. Unfortunately they were just 2 sticky customers and we probably should have stood our ground. But that's the way it goes.
    Luckily enough they got beat in the final :pac:

same for us but at the same time i think a slot on the final day should be allocated for those that cannot agree a suitable time.

Takes all the instances of silly buggers out of it really

same for us but at the same time i think a slot on the final day should be allocated for those that cannot agree a suitable time.

Takes all the instances of silly buggers out of it really

Ya not a bad idea. You get a bye then i guess if you turn up and your opponents dont.
    Probably the fairest way to do it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

acalmenvoy wrote: »

We know our jobs thanks.

It we were to zap every single thread that went off on a tangent every now and then we would need to be here 24/7.

Threads stray every now and then and some great discussions have come out of them, ones that are meaningless and posts for the sake of it are few and far between but don't worry, we got them covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

This is the best I can do on my story, its pretty sick and I know its true. I've tried to keep it as vague as possible but if mods still think there's possibility of slander/defamation, do what you will

At an interclub match in the last number of years, a club which shall remain nameless, played against another club which shall remain nameless in a foursomes competitions.

In the first pairing of one of these matches, one of the players was using a buggy to get himself around. had medical cert and all, so fair enough.

1st hole, his partner hits a teeshot way right and likely out of bounds, the guy in the cart tares off in the general direction and before anyone else can get near, he has discovered the ball just over a small hill, a couple of yards off the fairway. This did not seem the likely place the ball would be, but as golf is a game of integrity, you accept and move on.

Again on the 2nd hole, after hitting his own drive, he fleeced it down the fairway looking for the drive and had it found and lying well before anyone got near.

On the third hole, his playing partner once again carved it right where there was a designated out of bounds. Everyone could clearly see the ball going OOB, an area marked where a forest was located. No sound of trees, the ball was definitely gone. Guy in the cart hits a pro-vo and as soon as he hit, He drives off to where the first ball went. The opposition team were getting a bit sick of this, so they legged it up after him as quick as they could and sure enough when they caught up to him, there was a ball a couple of yards in from the out of bounds. Guy proudly declares, "its okay lads, this is our ball." A dozen of his supporters from his home club were there and they nodded their heads in approval.

The opposition decide to inspect the ball and remark.... "This is a titleist 2 with red marks. On the first tee you declared a titleist 4 with blue marks. This isn't your ball." To which the buggy guy and all his supporters declared that it was the right ball and the opposition were wrong.

Pissed off, one of the players in the opposition stands up to the guy in the buggy and says, 'for the rest of the round
    you stay with us. no more driving ahead.' Buggy guy obliged.

Buggy guy won and his team won 3-2.

Sick

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

Played a match-play final in the club a few years back.

There were a load of finals teeing off and the ladies (Felt sorry for them) got soaked on the first tee box. My guy turns around and goes if it's still raining when we tee off I'm conceding:eek:.

Really wanted to play it so hoped it would pass. Turned out a really nice afternoon.

So I hit a beaut off the first and he takes 6 shots to get to mine. 1 Up!

We get to the 10th teebox and I'm 5 up. He declares, if you win this hole, I'm not walking up the hill and conceding.

Hit another sweet drive, and 2nd to be just off the green.

As I'm standing over an 8 foot putt I'm thinking, do I miss this and make him walk up the hill? Decided I would be sick if he came back and won so I rolled it down and tapped in for the win.

He conceded. A lot of people confused how I won 6 up after 10.

Whatever about being a first round and not being bothered but a final....

aktelmiele wrote: »

He conceded. A lot of people confused how I won 6 up after 10....

I would of thought that's it's quite obvious how you won 6 up after 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

I would of thought that's it's quite obvious how you won 6 up after 10

Think it was more that there wasn't a final score and why would someone walk in during a final.

Advertisement