Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 7 Plus €399

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Really?

Yes really. It's been mentioned several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

eh i dunno wrote: »
    And the phone is unlocked?

Obviously, how else would it work on the 3 network :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Cheers for all the helpful replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Being on the Android one program might mean the 7 plus will never be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭corks finest

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Does anyone have face unlock on their 7 Plus? Read that the euro version doesn't support it.

Yes,small fella has it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 dreading_dire

Mine works fine, but I did have to give it a bit of a push until it clicked in fully. Other headphones go in more easily, but the ones supplied seem to be a bit more of a snug fit.

You're not kidding. I thought mine was busted too until I read this. You need to be **very** forceful with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Yeah, noticed that with my own headphones.

FYI, those earphones that come supplied with phones have absolute ****e sound quality.

Pretty accurate review from Android Authority:

https://www.androidauthority.com/nokia-7-plus-review-863998/

Pros:
    Great build quality and premium design
    Stock Android
    Solid, reliable performance
    Excellent battery life

Cons:
    Average audio performance
    Low-light camera performance needs improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I ordered one last night, looking forward to getting it. Nice to see Nokia back in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

jca wrote: »
    I ordered one last night, looking forward to getting it. Nice to see Nokia back in the game.

Did you order nearby?
    I am still waiting on my order from a HK site that I ordered on the 5th of May.

• Advertisement

Did you order nearby?
    I am still waiting on my order from a HK site that I ordered on the 5th of May.

I ordered from Vodafone it has been despatched this morning. I'm with VF so being sim free isn't important, I'll try it with a different SIM out of curiosity. The only worry I have is using it in the car I had terrible problems with my One plus 3T dropping the bluetooth connection, needing continuous re-pairing etc.

I ordered from Vodafone it has been despatched this morning. I'm with VF so being sim free isn't important, I'll try it with a different SIM out of curiosity. The only worry I have is using it in the car I had terrible problems with my One plus 3T dropping the bluetooth connection, needing continuous re-pairing etc.

Yeah, I seem to remember that!
    It was your phone if I remember right, the others with 3T and my own 3 at the time were grand.

My cousin has my old 3 and has a BT car kit. I just asked him there and he said it never drops :)

I'd say you would be very unlucky to get another phone with BT connection issues. But if you do, go straight back to VF with it this time and get it replaced :)

Yeah, I seem to remember that!
    It was your phone if I remember right, the others with 3T and my own 3 at the time were grand.

My cousin has my old 3 and has a BT car kit. I just asked him there and he said it never drops :)

I'd say you would be very unlucky to get another phone with BT connection issues. But if you do, go straight back to VF with it this time and get it replaced :)

Yea, I'm going to keep everything that's in the box including the plastic on the screen until I'm happy that it's perfect.

Yea, I'm going to keep everything that's in the box including the plastic on the screen until I'm happy that it's perfect.

Oh yeah, keep everything!

I'd say you'll have your Nokia before I get mine anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

Just messaged them on Twitter to confirm and they said it is definitely being supplied unlocked.

Just sent back a Mate 10 pro with weird touchscreen problems and was going to pick up a second hand pixel 2 but now this seems like a good choice for over a 100 less.
    hmm...decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

spyder238 wrote: »
    Just messaged them on Twitter to confirm and they said it is definitely being supplied unlocked.

Just sent back a Mate 10 pro with weird touchscreen problems and was going to pick up a second hand pixel 2 but now this seems like a good choice for over a 100 less.
    hmm...decisions.

2nd hand pixel 2 by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

sentient_6 wrote: »
    2nd hand pixel 2 by a mile.

Yeah, true, I'd probably just regret not getting the pixel.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

Just FYI for those still waiting on Security / 8.1 updates - there is a thread on the Nokia community talking about this, and one chap has created a Google Docs spreadsheet that people are putting their 'current state' into, and so far the summary is clear, Britain, France and Ireland are all 8.0.0 with 1 Feb patch level, everywhere else has 8.10 with 1 April or 1 May patch.

Link to thread is below, and the google docs link is on that page too. 
    https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000024093/page/3?url_locale=

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭breeno

Just as an FYI, I updated my Vodafone model to the Android P beta but it felt buggy so reverted to the 'downgrade' file which was 8.1 with April update. I got the May 2018 8.1 update this morning and have just installed it. 
    Perhaps installing the downgrade file brought me onto stock firmware and I am now no longer tied to Vodafone updates.

Just found the following tips to enable navigating around the phone using the finger print reader. It's taking me some time but I'm getting used to tapping the FP reader for "back" and long press for "home".

Follow these steps:
    1. Open settings app
    2. Tap search
    3. Type "navigation" or "fingerprint"
    4. Tap Navigation Key of Fingerprint and thats it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

breeno wrote: »
    Just as an FYI, I updated my Vodafone model to the Android P beta but it felt buggy so reverted to the 'downgrade' file which was 8.1 with April update. I got the May 2018 8.1 update this morning and have just installed it. 
    Perhaps installing the downgrade file brought me onto stock firmware and I am now no longer tied to Vodafone updates.

Interesting,

Is the process difficult?
    I would install P just to revert it and hope to get the latest update as well :pac:

Yakult wrote: »
    Interesting,

Is the process difficult?
    I would install P just to revert it and hope to get the latest update as well :pac:

I suppose it depends on experience. It has to be installed via adb which can be scary to some but I've rooted lots of phones over the years and am well used to it. If you are only interested in 8.1 you would only have to install the 8.1 file. No need to install android p in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I always thought the update status as an interesting aspect.
    The Nokia 7 Plus is an Android One phone.
    Google actually controls/releases the updates for Android One.
    So if a carrier (Vodafone) sells an Android One phone, who actually controls the updates?
    Is it Google, Nokia, or Vodafone?
    I know everyone will have their opinion, but is there any definitive clarification from any of the 3 parties involved?

biebiebie wrote: »
    So if a carrier (Vodafone) sells an Android One phone, who actually controls the updates?
    I know everyone will have their opinion, but is there any definitive clarification from any of the 3 parties involved?

In the case of the Nokia 7 plus, sold sim free from Vodafone;
    Nokia controls the updates.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

biebiebie wrote: »

Google don't control the updates for Android One phones. It's the phone manufacturer who does. Not sure if carriers can or do block them though.

It's not really clear at the moment. The fact that Vodafone bundled their software would suggest that they've had some level of interference with the device/software. What that means for future updates, we don't know yet.

It's a bit worrying that the stock software supplied by Nokia is updated to May security patch while the handsets supplied by Vodafone are still on February never mind April release. The link above suggests that it's not just limited to network handsets so hopefully it's just a teething issue and, in time, all updates will be issued promptly. For now, I'm glad I manually installed and got the latest update OTA.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not really clear at the moment. The fact that Vodafone bundled their software would suggest that they've had some level of interference with the device/software. What that means for future updates, we don't know yet.

It's a bit worrying that the stock software supplied by Nokia is updated to May security patch while the handsets supplied by Vodafone are still on February never mind April release. The link above suggests that it's not just limited to network handsets so hopefully it's just a teething issue and, in time, all updates will be issued promptly. For now, I'm glad I manually installed and got the latest update OTA.

It's possible Nokia haven't rolled out anything newer than the february release to devices here. My Nokia 6 2017 was bought from Amazon (so no carrier interference) and is on 8.0 with the march security update whereas the phone in other regions has been updated to 8.1.

It arrived this morning, it's SIM free, it works perfectly with the car, it's fabulous I love it!!

One little thing, how do I remove the pebble watch notification from the top of the screen.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

spyder238 wrote: »
    Yeah, true, I'd probably just regret not getting the pixel.

I considered getting a 'flagship' phone, but honestly I would never use the added specs and features enough to pay double the price. I don't play mobile games or take many photos. A mid range phone does everything I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Google don't control the updates for Android One phones. It's the phone manufacturer who does. Not sure if carriers can or do block them though.

Coorect HMD will be controlling the updates these will also bipass operators.

Advertisement