Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dry and cool / cold?

Yes, bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

18z gfs not good.....
    Define not good .........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Never discount the UKMO is the message from today, let’s see what tomorrow brings but I expect this event will be hyped way too much, interesting charts and a nice cold blast likely but don’t worry about taking the snow shovels out would be my thinking at present. I’d actually be more worried about flooding in next 24 hours in south, as it’s likely to cause more issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah i reckon it will be partly cloudy breezy and 6c in most places on St Patricks Day then around 0 to -2c that night. A few frosty nights but Emma was a once in 36 year event. Wont see that again for a long time.

Very dramatic pull back from GFS but Id trust that. Dry will win out on this occasion. Mayge a light dusting of snow Saturday night on East.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Meh can't say Im too disappointed by this..woulda been nice but sure we got our treat already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty of nice Spring sunshine on the 18z, whats not to like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

The BBC is on board with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's M.T. Cranium's fault, him with his Canadian Warming. Is it a coincidence he has booked a holiday...? Some say he has been spotted with Gerry Murphy and George Sunsnow in warmer climes.

No I have to stay on at the Scottish research station for the time being, holiday postponed to early April, look for warm spell then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Now looking like a glancing blow based on current guidance, core of the cold is into south East England/Nothern France. High pressure close to our North eventually sinking down over us.

If the current charts are accurate this won't be notable, just a few snow showers in the East Saturday night. Chilly and frosty other than that, hopefully some good sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM still wants to bring snow showers packing in to the east coast Saturday evening and overnight.

ECM0-96.GIF?14-12

Lying snow won't last long on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Met Eireann saying any snow will be scattered and light Saturday night into Sunday on 0755 radio forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Met Eireann saying any snow will be scattered and light Saturday night into Sunday on 0755 radio forecast.
    YES. Hopefully that true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just to keep this thread alive!

6z runs have arrested the southward corrections and on balance moved a small bit back north. Little doubt now this is a 36 hour event from late evening Saturday to early hours of Monday but could still be notable in that window. ICON is our friend again and shows plenty snow potential in South and East on Sunday.

iconeu_uk1-1-105-0.png?14-10

Pretty cold too, with -10 uppers over the whole country for a while on Sunday.

iconeu_uk1-16-102-0.png?14-10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Any time it snows Irish media will now call it the beast from the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Any time it snows Irish media will now call it the beast from the east.
    unless its coming from the west,obviously :ermm:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

unless its coming from the west,obviously :ermm:

You would be surprised! The Irish media are not very intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I have to stop family panic buying bread.

They seem to think we are in for more really heavy snow this weekend.

I had to tell them it's most of a glancing blow and a few showers if we are lucky.

I am in Naas and hit pretty hard who weeks ago so they wanted to be more prepared.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

unless its coming from the west,obviously :ermm:

Pest from the West is the future name for any snow, wind etc. that comes that way. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

The whore from the Nor'

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

My favourite comment about storm Emma was the "Ho from below"

• Advertisement

Getting in to upgrade territory again for some snow this weekend.

UW72-21.GIF?14-16

icon-0-87.png?14-12

Will update after this evenings model runs are finished...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some models still not playing ball and continuing to sink it south. Could still have showers brushing south coast with an almost direct easterly wind, but still. Keeping my reservations until Friday at this rate :D

tenor.gif?itemid=5894655

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

unfortunately I'm going to have to watch this one from the western seaboard. Most snow will probably be melted by the time I arrive back on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

980x.jpg

Soz...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Lucreto wrote: »
    I have to stop family panic buying bread.

They seem to think we are in for more really heavy snow this weekend.

That's a strange quirk with us in Ireland. It's like we only remember the last event. So now, the next snow event is going to be another record fall, then when it turns out to be the usual scuttery dusting that thaws after 3 hours, we'll reset to presuming that's the way it'll be always and forever more.

I remember after 2010, people I worked with panicking about the following winter and not taking any leave because they assumed every winter would be snowmageddon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I wouldn't mind a little bit of snow Sunday and Monday but for the sake of all the kids that love the parades can it just fcuk of until then.

tempresult_jjn4.gif

Not too bad for the parade but temperatures really taking a dive through the afternoon and evening on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

WOOF

ECM0-72.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

That could put the match in jeopardy, I'd guess

Advertisement