Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Id like to see a bit more snow..but Im guessing it won't be anything crazy will it? a few inches that will melt a lot during the day at low levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Can someone wake him up for a morning update...

p_Zra_WKH_d.jpg

I'll update this evening. Work :pac:

Still possible main cold and snow risk may miss us to the south in to the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think Kermit must currently be looking at the models and doing:

tenor.gif?itemid=4883582

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Still possible main cold and snow risk may miss us to the south in to the continent.

I'll update this evening. Work

^^^Have you explained that there's snow coming and people need every angle covered.
    Pfft... employers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

MissMoc wrote: »
    We had thunder snow during Emma in the midlands.

Damn you :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Billcarson wrote: »
    Well the last time Ireland had a good summer with a yr ending in 8 was back in the 1800s lol

The strangest thing about that also is that the last time a Summer ending in "8" was warmer than average was that it was an exceptionally warm Summer. This year was 1868. It included the hottest July on record at the time with a CET of 18.3c, which equals the CET for July 2013. June was very warm at 15.5c too with August rather warm at 16.8c. The Summer CET was 16.9c. The last time the CET was up that high recently in Summer is 2006 which had a CET of 17.2c. The warmest since then is 2016 with a CET of 16.4c.

July 1868 had a notable heatwave with a temperature recording of 38.1c (100.5F) at Tonbridge, Kent on the 22nd. However, this temperature is unofficial as it was not recorded at standard exposure. The official UK highest temperature is 38.5c at Faversham, Kent on August 10th 2003.

Though the outlooks seem not very good at all for Summer 2018 except GLOSEA5 from the UK Met Office shows a Summer 2017-like situation (which to be honest I wouldn't mind in comparison to the outlooks for Summer 2018 but certainly not brilliant), I will always remain hopeful of seeing July 2013-like charts (or even a 2010 would do me any day, doesn't have to be fantastically warm for me to consider good) within the 3-4 day timeframe on the models. Summer 2017 was looking very good 'til ENSO came and messed up the day as La Nina established itself from what looked like was going to be an El Nino in June.

Oh, look at me.... talking about Summer in a cold/snow thread. Ok, I'll stop :p.

NOAA_1_1868072212_2.png

NOAA_1_2003081012_2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I’ll have to ask my employer for a snow bank holiday back if the snow disrupts my plans for the holiday weekend !

I'll give an update after the ECM this evening. It could be a more benign still cold but less cold outcome, it could be near miss or could be full on.

Some real uncertainty in relation to Ireland this weekend which won't be resolved this evening.

Exciting eh? :p

In the mean time see the model update thread for updates too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kamili wrote: »
    I think Kermit must currently be looking at the models and doing:

tenor.gif?itemid=4883582

I wish he'd stop looking at models and get back to weather forecasting.

There are more important things that London fashion week.:PAC:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Graces7 wrote: »
    Been outside to see if Croagh Patrick still has snow as they say here that that means yes, more snow, but it is playing coy and hiding head in the clouds

Please let me know if there is snow on cone of Croagh Patrick and/or if you see Punxsatawney Phil.
    It’s like Groundhog Day around here
    Again
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

km79 wrote: »
    It’s like Groundhog Day around here
    Again
    ;)

Funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

36 hour window for snow, then cold and frosty for a few days, all a little meh.. if this was Dec-Feb be all in but mid March i want warmth

Yes please! This is what I've been asking for. :)
    BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    By Monday ECM is quite like the UKMO over Ireland, I.e a high in place, cold nights but pleasant sunny days, it is a more amplified pattern though with WAA going north over Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

irishfeen wrote: »
    Is the DWD ICON usually reliable?

12_120_eursnowdepth.png?cb=38

Hopefully not otherwise it looks like the Cork Snowshield has been returned to its rightful owner :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Hopefully not otherwise it looks like the Cork Snowshield has been returned to its rightful owner :p

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

How would you lot feel about a third Easterly at the end of the month?

ECM0-240.GIF?13-0

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Can you say that with confidence Nacho? I do hope you're right but some of these charts would suggest the weather may become a problem around London...

Well it's what i've been told. I asked about it during the beast we had some time ago(although it feels like it was only two weeks ago:o) and they told me it would take a serious dumping for a game to be cancelled.

Almost April and Eurasia is in the grips of mid-Winter, what is going in with nature at the moment? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Almost April and Eurasia is in the grips of mid-Winter, what is going in with nature at the moment? :P

It's M.T. Cranium's fault, him with his Canadian Warming. Is it a coincidence he has booked a holiday...? Some say he has been spotted with Gerry Murphy and George Sunsnow in warmer climes.

• Advertisement

Updated OP. Still changes to come, nothing set in stone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Updated OP. Still changes to come, nothing set in stone yet.

Mayo is doomed AGAIN! All we get here is gales and deluges... Although I was glad when Ophelia turned left at the border of Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I remember real honest Thundersnow back in 2009, blue lightning it is a thing of wonder I'd eat ten thousand tins of tuna just to see it again, not all at once though and it'll need to be some epic Thundersnow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Have a half marathon in mullingar on Sat morning. What's the chances of me getting around without too much wind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Have a half marathon in mullingar on Sat morning. What's the chances of me getting around without too much wind ?

Whats too much wind? this is 9am

18_87_windvector.png?cb=887

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Maybe lay off the beans and cabbage Friday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

18z gfs not good.....

18z gfs not good.....

I'm loving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm loving it.
    Dry and cool / cold?

Advertisement