Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Spotted today in Co Meath! Hopefully it'll get a nice top up this weekend. It was 9 degrees at the time, mad how this hasn't melted yet given it started falling here over 2 weeks ago.

still a fair chunk of snow by the hard shoulders on the old Dublin/Navan road about 2km north of Dunshaughlin heading towards Ross Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

NMB wrote: »
    And I think there should be a nacho libre snow dance. A full on [IMG][/IMG]. If it doesn’t snow he didn’t do ThE dance heh heh

Kermit the frog is better at it than me..

Exhibit A:kermit-70115_960_720.jpg

This was him during the beast from the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I've never really seen March northerlies as potent, in fact quite uneventful for Ireland.

They are rare, but can be potent. I remember years ago we had decent northerlies right into April. There was one year where we had snow from a northerly right at the End of April, which lead to a decent covering by night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Bulls-eye :D no backing down from the models this morning, heavy snow streamers moving onto the east coast from Saturday afternoon /especially Saturday night and into Sunday. March 2018, one to remember.

UW48-21.GIF?16-05

UW48-7.GIF?16-05

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Calibos wrote: »
    I followed the last events thread from its beginnings and did a full shop for 6 adults and 2 dogs in this house on Sunday 25th of February that lasted us till Tuesday 6th March which saw us through the pre-snow panic buying stage, the "Feck this, I'm not going out shopping in this fecking weather" stage and finally the, "WTF, why do the supermarkets still have no stock a week after the snow" stage.

I did a similar shop on Tuesday just gone cause I ain't got no time fo foo's fighting over the last Sliced Pan ;):D

Well stocked here too in West Mayo but we will not get snow. If there is a high wind there will be no ferry so I stay well stocked anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harmonie looks pretty good this morning with snow showers saturday night into Sunday morning, same areas as recently doing best, Wicklow, Kildare and Wexford but also making it well inland into Laois and Offaly. Meath actually looking very good for showers on Harmonie.

Will be interesting to see the warnings ME issue later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ME Going for the North and East? Just showers.
    Does a band of persistent snow not cross the South?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Met Eireann has nothing about disruptive possibilities at all. Just light wintry showers. I'm at a loss as to why we are bullish here for the prospects of snow or that Met Eireann know something we don't. I'm going with the pro's on this. I don't see ME issuing warnings at all based on their forecast this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I would have an orange warning up there now. Certain to verify a yellow and probably orange. Don't think too many places would verify red although the overnight lows by Tuesday morning might.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I would have an orange warning up there now. Certain to verify a yellow and probably orange. Don't think too many places would verify red although the overnight lows by Tuesday morning might.

One major factor that will certainly mean no red is the fact it's a work free bank holiday for most.

It should not prevent yellow or orange warnings though. The M.E forecast as it relates to Saturday night and Sunday is simply wrong as it stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

One major factor that will certainly mean no red is the fact it's a work free bank holiday for most.

It should not prevent yellow or orange warnings though. The M.E forecast as it relates to Saturday night and Sunday is simply wrong as it stands.

The euro 04 short term model shows very little upto midnight on Saturday night so I wonder if ME are going with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Probably don't want to scare off people from attending the parade. It's probably one of the busiest times of the year in Dublin and even the prospect of snow might stop people from heading in.

I moved this weekends plans to Easter weekend just in case.

The euro 04 short term model shows very little upto midnight on Saturday night so I wonder if ME are going with this?

I know. I saw Euro4. It's wrong, simple as that and will show more precip on the next run.

Don't get me wrong, nobody is forecasting chaos or anything extreme. Still the official forecasts are not adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

HARMONIE showing over 20mm of liquid between 18:00 Saturday and 06:00 Sunday for S Dublin. Not looking marginal either, so their caution is strange but they are the pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EURO4 ain't at the races in these setups - was very poor 2 weeks ago if I remember correctly.

ME tune will change by lunchtime I would imagine.

Less said about the AM update the better

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looking forward to getting stuck in London from Sunday afternoon until God knows when.

Balls. :(

If anyone wants an all day session in Gatwick Airport on Sunday, give me a shout. :pac:

EURO4 ain't at the races in these setups - was very poor 2 weeks ago if I remember correctly.

A certain someone must be doing overtime at ME
    An inaccurate forecast this close really is unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

The issue here is that the businesses depend on this weekend trade so much and there is a collective interest here not to scare people of from driving to capital, on the other hand it could be fun witnessing drivers who normally stay in when one flake is forecast, now braving few inches near the capital on Saturday or Sunday :)

Is there a chance Cork will be hit?

The problem here is actually somewhat more important given the weekend. If you were to have heavy showers in Dublin City center dumping hail and snow on Saturday night, which is probable, this raises issues for people getting home. The footpaths will become hazardous and traffic will be disrupted.

Having said that I would be amazed if commercial considerations were influencing actual forecasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lucreto wrote: »
    Probably don't want to scare off people from attending the parade. It's probably one of the busiest times of the year in Dublin and even the prospect of snow might stop people from heading in.

Understandable so soon after last time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I’m at a loss really to why Met Eireann have such a down stated forecast. Surely they have to change their tune today. We are looking at disruptive snow for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I need to drive from North County Louth to Trim, Co. Meath on Sunday. How feasible will this be ? I am not a confident driver and did not leave our property for 6 days during the recent snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Periscal wrote: »
    The issue here is that the businesses depend on this weekend trade so much and there is a collective interest here not to scare people of from driving to capital, on the other hand it could be fun witnessing drivers who normally stay in when one flake is forecast, now braving few inches near the capital on Saturday or Sunday :)

I'd say a lot of people are planning to give the parade a miss this year because of the rugby international against England, I know I am. The cold weather just gives me an added excuse !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Lucreto wrote: »

That's ridiculous, and if it was true, totally unprofessional from ME. They have to forecast as they see it, good or bad. And they don't see it that bad for the weekend. If they are wrong, big questions willbe asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

Having said that I would be amazed if commercial considerations were influencing actual forecasts.

I would be aswell but however it’s the only thing that I can think of
    possibly easier to plead forgiveness to the general public for getting it wrong than the business who would blame them for the loss of a lot of money if the snow was not bad perhaps not saying it right because I deafintally is not....

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Strange the huge difference between the forecasts on here and Met Eireann. Not even a hint of cold weather on the Met.ie farming forecast. “There’ll be showers this weekend” is all they are saying now. A lot of newborn lambs in the fields. Very unprofessional if snow and deep cold is only a day away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

That's ridiculous, and if it was true, totally unprofessional from ME. They have to forecast as they see it, good or bad. And they don't see it that bad for the weekend. If they are wrong, big questions willbe asked.

That's my point they are keeping it quiet until they know with as much certainty as possible before saying anything. Saying heavy snowfall now and only get a light shower will stop people heading in on one of the most important weekends for the economy.

With the rugby on as well more people will be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think people might be hearing and seeing amounts will be small in Met Éireann’s forecast and thinking that is their forecast for the weekend but it isn’t. That is only for Saturday which to be fair isn’t far off anyone’s forecasts here. They do mention more widespread snow on Sunday just aren’t talking about amounts yet.

They will get this right, they usually do to be fair.

• Advertisement

Worth noting the professionals in UK are on board with heavy snow across the South of Ireland.
    ME are on their own on this one.

Advertisement