Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2018 Audi e-tron: Audi accepts deposits for electric SUV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

We can discuss a lot about kWh/100km but in reality the majority of these Audi's bought in Ireland will travel less than 100km each day :-)

Most will be spinning around the leafy suburbs of South Dublin with Mammy dropping off little Rain and Cloud to school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We can discuss a lot about kWh/100km but in reality the majority of these Audi's bought in Ireland will travel less than 100km each day :-)

Most will be spinning around the leafy suburbs of South Dublin with Mammy dropping off little Rain and Cloud to school

They won't be at the chargers long either

50kW up to 98% and 150kW consistently

Pretty impressive

Only the Rimac Hypercar had that tech previously, amazing how it trickles down so quickly

https://insideevs.com/fast-charging-comparison-audi-mercedes-jaguar-electric-suv/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mike9832 wrote: »
    They won't be at the chargers long either

50kW up to 98% and 150kW consistently

Pretty impressive

Only the Rimac Hypercar had that tech previously, amazing how it trickles down so quickly

https://insideevs.com/fast-charging-comparison-audi-mercedes-jaguar-electric-suv/
    That's pretty impressive.
    Is it a 90kWh battery?
    If so that's taking over 0.5C at 98%, very impressive.
    Don't think there's anything else out there competing with that at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

They have the configuration of the e-tron on the uk site now.

http://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/models/e-tron/e-tron.html

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Interesting. £74k, probably over €85k here, maybe even €90k.
    Direct competitor for the IPace. I think it's cheaper than the model X 100d, the only X you can buy new now.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Interesting. £74k, probably over €85k here, maybe even €90k.
    Direct competitor for the IPace. I think it's cheaper than the model X 100d, the only X you can buy new now.

It will be flawed like the ipace too

Range is suppose to be terrible, way below modern EVs like Kona, Model 3 etc with a much bigger battery

300km mixed and 250km motorway at best

To get that charge speed compromises had to be made, battery buffer is huge from what I read, still a class car and amazing tech

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Winter range (-6C) test by Bjorn. 330km @ 90km/h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucPJy0JnNLo

liamog wrote: »
    Winter range (-6C) test by Bjorn. 330km @ 90km/h

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucPJy0JnNLo

Less than I pace?

Thats basically hypermilling, very slow driving for a fast car

82kWh useable out 95kWh is alot, charge speed needs a big buffer it seems

He's posting motorway range test later

Would be surprised if it gets 250km

Probably take 35kWh/100km

350wh/km is very high but it's a big heavy SUV and the l/100km on a Q7 is a lot more than on the likes of an A6.

I like the idea of a large buffer, only 82kWh usable of 95kWh means more battery protection, and faster charging at the top end, at the cost of slightly less range.

If the TBTP shows less than 275km motorway range it will be not so impressive and puts Tesla as the clear leader still in long range EVs.

ELM327 wrote: »

If the TBTP shows less than 275km motorway range it will be not so impressive and puts Tesla as the clear leader still in long range EVs.

Will have way less

Closer to 200 than 300

Hopefully VW group don't make the ID so thirsty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

test drives in Ireland Tuesday-Thursday of next week in Sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Interesting to finally get a sense of cost on options - camera mirrors are £1250 in the UK.

On the basis that the standard model is £10k less that the launch edition in UK & launch edition is €102k pre incentives here, high €80ks here before incentives for standard model would seem to be an indication

bf wrote: »
    launch edition is €102k pre incentives here

Is that confirmed ? (sorry for doubting, but that would be good to have confirmed (though the UK launch edition had the virtual mirrors)?

according to a quote 2 pages back from the launch, we will have only one trim option called 'sport' which will be 101K - I'd expect that to be the version which is GBP 70,805, and would (unfortunately) expect the launch edition to be priced against the new price of an X (which is now a P100 version)
    In addition to the standard e-tron trim, Launch Edition highlights include:
    21” x 9.0J ‘5-V-spoke star’ design Audi Sport alloy wheels in platinum-look gloss
    Audi Matrix LED headlights
    Black Styling Pack and privacy glass
    Virtual door mirrors
    Front Sport seats with Valcona leather
    Audi Side Assist including Audi Pre-sense Rear, Cross-traffic assist rear and Exit warning

Watched some of the videos from Bjorn yesterday, some nice touches but I'd be opting for a model X if it were my decision on an all electric SUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

80sDiesel wrote: »
    They have the configuration of the e-tron on the uk site now.

http://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/models/e-tron/e-tron.html

Will be on the irish site next week i hear.

It will be flawed like the ipace too

Range is suppose to be terrible, way below modern EVs like Kona, Model 3 etc with a much bigger battery

300km mixed and 250km motorway at best

To get that charge speed compromises had to be made, battery buffer is huge from what I read, still a class car and amazing tech

Matches the Kona for winter range

I take it back

According to TeslaBjorn in the comments on his review, the e-tron range @120KMH was 260KM (albeit at -5C, in the wet, on winter tires)

Matches the Kona for winter range

I take it back

Did you watch the video, bjorn said due to weather differences the etron would not have made 300km in the circumstances where the kona got ~330.

The range would be good enough for me, I'd take it any day over a Tesla , I love Audi interiors.

Has all the power I could ever want too, charges 80 odd % in 30 mins 150 Kw charger, FFS my old Leaf took 30 mins to get from 18-80% on a good day for about 80-90 Kms range lol.

Probably take 8 years to get to a reasonable price.

The fast charging to 100% is super impressive to be honest.
    I'd prefer a model X but I'd take the e tron over the ipace.

• Advertisement

Was in one today - was VERY surprised to hear you could buy one ex-stock(if you were willing to take the launch edition for pretty much immediate delivery, and they can fulfill custome/factory orders on exactly the same timeline as any other Audi - something like 10 weeks I seem to recall).

also the on-board AC charger is currently 11Kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

catharsis wrote: »
    also the on-board AC charger is currently 11Kw.

3-phase presumably?

Does it also allow 7kW on single phase, like the i3 does?

KCross wrote: »
    3-phase presumably?

Does it also allow 7kW on single phase, like the i3 does?

I'm fairly sure the answer to both is yes.
    the Audi docs state that it will take 11KW from a 3 phase suppoy and 6.6/7KW from a 'typical irish home'

I don't believe there's any difference between the I3 "7KW" and and any of the other 6.6KW -capable devices like the Leaf is there? (with the caveat that 11KW is obviously a difference for the I3)

22KW onboard charger will be available on the etron in the future but not now apparently (and Ireland gets AC charge ports on both sides of car unlike (I think) the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

V impressive car. Had a spin in it yesterday too. Really solid and very nice typically functional and ergonomic Audi interior. It has two charge ports one on either side - one for CCS and the other side for type 2(?). The launch models are available more or less ex stock and a new build is 12 weeks.

They have put together a very comprehensive booklet explaining how EVs work in Ireland and explaining the different connector types, where to go to get your charger installed etc - it's nearly like a FAQ for any new EV owner (regardless of Audi or not). It's about 30 pages or so and doesn't appear to be copyrighted, so I'll scan it later today if anyone is interested.

B

I don't believe there's any difference between the I3 "7KW" and and any of the other 6.6KW -capable devices like the Leaf is there? (with the caveat that 11KW is obviously a difference for the I3)

There is a slight difference.

The i3 has 11kw 3 phase which is 16A per phase.
    It then uses two of the 16A rectifiers to allow it to pull 32A (i.e. 7kW).

A single phase car like Leaf, Ioniq etc have one rectifier which is either 16A or 32A and thats it.

Its the same end result, just a different configuration and the gotcha is that you need to make sure you have the right cables as a 16A 3ph cable on an i3 (the one that comes with the car) will not give you 32A when on single phase as it is only using one phase and the cable will only allow 16A on that phase.

You need a 32A 3ph cable to ensure you can cover all the bases... i suspect the eTron is the same.

With the added benefit of charging at 11kW at most standard chargers instead of 7kW.
    As battery size grows, 3 phase for standard charging is going to be needed

I'm actually a real fan of the e tron and it's one of the few non Tesla EVs I'd consider buying. Too expensive new though (for my wallet I mean)

The range would be good enough for me, I'd take it any day over a Tesla , I love Audi interiors.

Has all the power I could ever want too, charges 80 odd % in 30 mins 150 Kw charger, FFS my old Leaf took 30 mins to get from 18-80% on a good day for about 80-90 Kms range lol.

Probably take 8 years to get to a reasonable price.

FYI the PCP quote shows about a 35% residual after 3 years !!

maybe buying one in 3 years will be affordable(ish) - I think those numbers look a little conservative though.

KCross wrote: »
    There is a slight difference.

The i3 has 11kw 3 phase which is 16A per phase.
    It then uses two of the 16A rectifiers to allow it to pull 32A (i.e. 7kW).

A single phase car like Leaf, Ioniq etc have one rectifier which is either 16A or 32A and thats it.

Its the same end result, just a different configuration and the gotcha is that you need to make sure you have the right cables as a 16A 3ph cable on an i3 (the one that comes with the car) will not give you 32A when on single phase as it is only using one phase and the cable will only allow 16A on that phase.

You need a 32A 3ph cable to ensure you can cover all the bases... i suspect the eTron is the same.

there is a "Charging cable Mode 3, Type 2 3 32 A" cable in the options list for EUR56 IIRC (which seems like a steal, btw, unusually for audi)

As I read that this would be a 32A 3PH cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭Damien360

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    V impressive car. Had a spin in it yesterday too. Really solid and very nice typically functional and ergonomic Audi interior. It has two charge ports one on either side - one for CCS and the other side for type 2(?). The launch models are available more or less ex stock and a new build is 12 weeks.

They have put together a very comprehensive booklet explaining how EVs work in Ireland and explaining the different connector types, where to go to get your charger installed etc - it's nearly like a FAQ for any new EV owner (regardless of Audi or not). It's about 30 pages or so and doesn't appear to be copyrighted, so I'll scan it later today if anyone is interested.

B

Hi. Any chance you could scan that doc and maybe stick it up as a PDF here. Cheers

• Advertisement

there is a "Charging cable Mode 3, Type 2 3 32 A" cable in the options list for EUR56 IIRC (which seems like a steal, btw, unusually for audi)

As I read that this would be a 32A 3PH cable?

At €56 it is a steal. Seems too good to be true tbh.
    Not sure if that 3 in the middle means 3ph or not though. You’d need Audi to answer that.

Advertisement