Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Codenames League of Legends Sign Up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

sKeith wrote: »
    0 is the perfect score. if you hit assasin with 5 words remaining,

you'd get 1+2+3+4+5= 15 points and opposition gets 0 points.

Oh yeah gotcha!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok, gonna try and respond to all the questions in the thread. All really interesting, and some very good ideas.

conor222 wrote: »
    Can i suggest a bonus 10 points for a clue that gets over five answers attached (not random guesses)
    that should make people really go for it early!
    :pac::pac::pac:

I thought about this tbh, rewarding great clues and in the second edition of the league (Yes, I'm already thinking ahead if there is still interest) we can add little quirks like this.
    Pter wrote: »
    You could do a point per word correctly guessed, and then bonus points for winning the game?
    unfair advantage to the 9 teams over the 8 teams.

sKeith kind of answered this but yes, I toyed with the idea of an answer per word correctly guessed but given the 9/8 clues per game it's probably a bit unfair so I went with football style scoring.
    conor222 wrote: »
    Or could use number of answers guessed as a type of goals scored type entity for tie breakers?
    The points per word would be difficult as if you win a game (+3 say) but the other team hit the assassin on their first guess then you'd end up with 3 points, a huge hole to get out of given the average win would be worth 11.5 points

Yeah, again I considered points difference (answers correctly guessed going to a goal difference of sorts, but tbh it would be a pain to calculate so again to get the league off the ground I've omitted it in it's maiden voyage.
    You could do reverse scoring.

Teams start with possibility of scoring.
    9v8
    red v blue
    9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 and 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1
    let say red wins with blue having 3 words still on the board,
    well red gets 0 points and blue gets 6.
    if opponent hits assassin, then you automatically get a 0.

lowest points in the league wins.

I think this scoring method takes in all points raised above.

Great idea, sKeith. Just a pain to keep up with.

I'm going to keep the scoring system as is for now and if it needs tweaking following the conclusion of the first league we can do it then. Other rules etc. we can continue to work on (including the assassin reduction which I'm still open to removing btw).

Tbh I just want to streamline the process as much as possible for the first outing and then get creative if it works well. Hope that's ok :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok, with the final taking place over this week I expect, I'm gonna draft up teams in the coming days.

With 13 players do people think we are better running with teams of 2, and a single team of 3? That would allow everyone 10 matches (home and away legs).

The other alternative is teams of 3 and a team of 4, and you'd have 4 teams so 6 matches each home and away.

I'm happy to go with either option (personal preference is the teams of 2 but I'll go with majority)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I like the idea of more than 2 players per team, though is it 2 players per team per game, or multiple guessers? I would hope its the former.

In terms of number of games, for the 2/3 player teams you're looking at 30 games, for the other I think 12, personnally, I would probably sway towards the first scenario.

Kolido wrote: »
    I like the idea of more than 2 players per team, though is it 2 players per team per game, or multiple guessers? I would hope its the former.

In terms of number of games, for the 2/3 player teams you're looking at 30 games, for the other I think 12, personnally, I would probably sway towards the first scenario.

Multiple guessers if 3 players per team yes. One team would have to have 4 though with 13 entrants.

• Advertisement

Is there a regular player missing that we can convince?

#jayopOutOfRetirement

Is there a regular player missing that we can convince?

#jayopOutOfRetirement

Well there's myself as well but I'd prefer to remain impartial tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Necrominus wrote: »
    Well there's myself as well but I'd prefer to remain impartial tbh.

Ah come join the fun, a non participant can generate the board.

I mean i can do pictures now, just in case you weren't aware, so i could easily post the board for you.

Guffy wrote: »
    Ah come join the fun, a non participant can generate the board.

I mean i can do pictures now, just in case you weren't aware, so i could easily post the board for you.

Sure. Makes things easier for fixtures etc.

Will hold off until completion of the final in case of last minute sign ups but if not I'll enter as number 14.

Ok folks I have done up teams on a draft basis. I think they're fair but if anyone has issues with their teams PM me and I can redraw (concerns will remain private)

So, without further adieu:

Team 1: Guffy/Digital Solitude - Current name Team Gufftigal Solituffy

Team 2: beakerjoe/Kolido - Current name - Team BeaKol

Team 3: Pter/Mollyb60 - Current name - Team Siberia

Team 4: sKeith/Banjo - Current name - Team RPG

Team 5: conor222/Necrominus - Current name - Team conecro222

Team 6: partyjungle/kitten_k - Current name - Team partykitten

Team 7: osh/duffman13 - Current name - Team doshman

Team names can be changed up until the start of the league which commence following the conclusion of the World Cup.
    I'll have a fixtures thread set up here in the coming days (maybe a mod can advise whether to put it in Codenames and sticky it?)

Best of luck everyone :)

• Advertisement

Haha Team Partykitten is the best one.

Team names can be changed up until the start of the league which commence following the conclusion of the World Cup.
    I'll have a fixtures thread set up here in the coming days (maybe a mod can advise whether to put it in Codenames and sticky it?)

MOD HAT ON

Following the placement of the other threads across Codenames, WW and D&D, this sign up thread and the fixtures thread should stay in the main FG forum. Game threads go in the sub forum.

Stickies are kinda reserved for things that might drop down the list, and i dont expect this to happen to this thread. If that isnt the case and the thread keeps getting lost, we can revisit.

Might not be saying that for long ;)

Cos here's the the first two rounds of fixtures.

Round 1:

Team partykitten VS Team Siberia

Team conecro222 VS Team RPG

Team BeaKol VS Team Gufftigal Solituffy

Round 2:

Team Doshman VS Team conecro222

Team Guftigal Solituffy VS Team partykitten

Team RPG VS Team BeaKol

(Full list to be posted in fixtures thread but here's a flavour for ye)

Edit: Draft fixtures - real fixtures in other thread.

Might not be saying that for long ;)

Cos here's the the first two rounds of fixtures.

Round 1:

Team partykitten VS Team Siberia

Team conecro222 VS Team RPG

Team BeaKol VS Team Gufftigal Solituffy

Round 2:

Team Doshman VS Team conecro222

Team Guftigal Solituffy VS Team partykitten

Team RPG VS Team BeaKol

(Full list to be posted in fixtures thread but here's a flavour for ye)

Oh its a cool name, but Molly and I will crush those capitolist pigs like yesterdays vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Team Kolijoe is a better name, impeach Necro!

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Team Kolijoe is a better name, impeach Necro!

Team names are to you folks :P

Although partykitten is clearly an ingenious masterstroke :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Guffy we gon be Warriors or stick with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We rock

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREuBGkgvlDPUn_8FdmnlGSnKLMtcgL4NgyW3_ZvcoEJ-wWNTFc

Guffy we gon be Warriors or stick with it?

Current name is quite possibly the worst name I've ever seen :D

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

It's meant to be intimidating :P

• Advertisement

Surprised you dont want your name to be a picture, which you can obviously now put up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Why Team RPG and not Team Pokemon Emerald Challenge? That's still a going concern isn't it? The Gym 3 save game is definitely getting sent over, I just need to be patient.... don't I?...... don't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Is the world cup a once off tournament then, or are we going to run it again after the league, kinda like a season format? We could run with the same teams for the season so they have a chance of winning the double. Though I'm probably getting too far ahead of myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Oh its a cool name, but Molly and I will crush those capitolist pigs like yesterdays vodka.

I did read this in a Russian accent. :D

Surprised you dont want your name to be a picture, which you can obviously now put up.

This is true, i was going to put one up to validate your comment but i think i shall reserve them for special occasions.

Wouldn't want to be all willy nilly with them like someone around these halls and have them loose their impact :P

Is the world cup a once off tournament then, or are we going to run it again after the league, kinda like a season format? We could run with the same teams for the season so they have a chance of winning the double. Though I'm probably getting too far ahead of myself!

I like it.

Banjo wrote: »
    Why Team RPG and not Team Pokemon Emerald Challenge? That's still a going concern isn't it? The Gym 3 save game is definitely getting sent over, I just need to be patient.... don't I?...... don't I?

Like I Spy, it's best to let it go I think :P

This is true, i was going to put one up to validate your comment but i think i shall reserve them for special occasions.

Wouldn't want to be all willy nilly with them like someone around these halls and have them loose their impact :P

tenor.gif?itemid=5682917

Let's do the league and see where we stand then. No reason we cant alternate between the two.

I think it would be good to keep teams rotating myself. Not that id mind being teamed up with PJ again - but Molly is more likely to humour me, so thats good too.

#teamcage5evabutalsoteamsiberia5eva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaGj-fOVatJNrej14ucce1aWhCOsdd5mgtNhVkH0CtvLCdBMBrwQ

Don't worry PJ we will bring them down!!!

Advertisement