Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Codenames League of Legends Sign Up Thread

Options
  • 08-03-2018 7:28pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks!

Said I'd toss up the sign up thread for the upcoming Codenames League - of Legends.

b74f746abab5bd0d32fb3aa66b2b9fda.jpg

How it will work:

Teams of 2 will be randomly selected from the pool of sign ups, with the only differential used being a wish to not be captain.

All teams will be placed in the one league, and will play each other at least once - twice more than likely dependant on the number of teams.

Points will be scored as follows:

3 points for a team win.

1 point for a losing team who have 2 or less remaining words on the codenames board.

AND...

-1 point for a losing team that hits the assassin word.

The top 4 teams with the highest points scored after the conclusion of the league format will advance to the semi-finals where a best of 3 format will commence. Rules of the knock-outs will be posted at a later date.

What if teams are tied? Rather than use a points difference style system, if two or more teams are tied at the conclusion of the league phase, then we will have once off play-off games drawn at random by myself where the winners will advance.

Boards will be generated by Necrominus, the impartial league organiser and PMed to the nominated captains for the game. Any issues with a clue or a comment within the game, please PM me and I will make a decision. Captains should discuss the issue amongst themselves first of course.

Obviously anything contravening Boards rules rather than Codenames will be dealt with by the forum moderators - sullivlo and Pter.

There will be a separate thread set up for the league tables, and following the conclusion of a game, the winning captain should post the result in that thread, including final score of the game.

The league table will be updated following the conclusion of each round of games. Players are asked to arrange the times of the games themselves, and then contact myself so I can organise the board.

How do I sign up?
    Simples. Register your interest in the following fashion:

Player name:
    Have you captained a codenames game before:

Similar method to the world cup. I will try to be as fair as possible when organising the teams.

Any questions keep to the codenames discussion thread in case I miss sign ups.
    Let the games begin... Again.

Sign-ups:
    1. Digital Solitude
    2. Kolido
    3. Mollyb60
    4. Guffy
    5. Pter
    6. osh
    7. Banjo
    8. kitten_k
    9. htieKs
    10. partyjungle
    11. duffman13
    12. beakerjoe
    13. conor222

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Digital Solitude

Yes have been captain

Happy to do so again

Not a haiku

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Player name: Kolido
    Have you captained a codenames game before: Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

On it like a car bonnet.

Can captain or guess. I'm equally ****e at both!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Yes
    Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yes and yes.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Yes and yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Player name : Banjo
    Captained before? Yes, but not well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

okay, can you clarify...

1 point for a losing team who only has 2 remaining words on the codenames board.

I think I know the intention of this rule, but should it not be

1 point for a losing team who has 2 or less words remaining on the codenames board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Player name : Kitten_k
    Captained before : Yes once

Player name: htieKs
    Have you captained a codenames game before: haey

• Advertisement

Y and Y

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yes and yes (poorly)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yes and yes

sKeith wrote: »
    Player name: htieKs
    Have you captained a codenames game before: haey

I know this probably passed most of you by, but as a member of Team Cage, the current codenames finalists, I've cracked the code. You see if you take the last letter and put it at the start, and repeat that process until all letters are exhausted. htieKs spells out sKeith :cool:

I have no idea what haey means

I know this probably passed most of you by, but as a member of Team Cage, the current codenames finalists, I've cracked the code. You see if you take the last letter and put it at the start, and repeat that process until all letters are exhausted. htieKs spells out sKeith :cool:

*undefeated finalists.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ok, so a healthy amount of sign ups so far.

Sign ups are not closed until after the conclusion of the World Cup, and I hope to have teams and fixtures posted for starting the Monday following its conclusion.
    At the present we are looking at 6 teams, which will mean a minimum of 10 games for each team (both teams playing each other twice).

So a few rules so things are streamlined:

1. Standard codenames rules for games which can be found here, with a couple of exceptions.
    2. Designated captains for their games can set up a thread as normal, but will contact myself so I can generate a board and PM to both captains. I will be using random words I come up with myself to generate the boards.
    3. No editing of posts within a game thread. If there is an issue, I need to see it and make a ruling. Most of the time these can be resolved by the captains. Obvious exceptions are anything that contravenes boards rules, which can be dealt with via boards modulators.
    4. Absolutely no discussion between captain and team-mate on game thread once the game begins until its conclusion. I know it's difficult at times but as per the rules of the game, captains are allowed to clue a word, and use the usual phrases.
    5. Decision of the organiser is final. If there is an issue, please contact me via PM and we can discuss it further but no arguing on the gamethread.
    6. Fixtures: Where a team is classed as the 'Home' team (or team that is mentioned first), they will begin the game second with 8 clues. The 'Away' team (or team that is mentioned second in the fixture) will have 9 clues and also have the first guess. All teams will have a 'Home' and 'Away' fixture.
    7. Scoring: 3 points is awarded to the team who clears the board of their words. A 1 point bonus will be awarded to a losing team should they have 2 clues or less remaining on the board. At present, 1 point will be deducted from a losing team if they incorrectly guess the 'assassin' word on the board, along with the awarding of 3 points to the other team.
    8. League Table: It is intended to update the league table after each round of fixtures. Depending on numbers and player availabilty, it is intended to run two league fixtures per week to be organised at times that suit the teams. The organiser will not involve himself in exact scheduling of matches, UNLESS a backlog of fixtures appears.
    9. Following the conclusion of a league game, it is the responsibility of the winning captain to post the result in the appropriate thread.
    10. Friendlies between teams are permitted, provided they do not impact on fixtures or create a backlog. The organiser will have no involvement in the organising or running of these friendlies.
    11. Following the conclusion of the league phase, the TOP 4 teams will qualify for the league semi finals, which will be played on best of 3 basis for the semi final, and best of 5 basis for the final.
    12. In the event of a number of teams being tied on the same amount of points, a series of one off playoffs will be played to determine which team will progress to the semi finals. Please note a virtual coin toss will decide the 'Home' and 'Away' teams in this regard. Points difference will not be used under any circumstances to settle any ties.
    13. Questions on any rules or clarifications should be posted in the codenames discussion thread, or the dedicated league thread when it is set up.
    14. The organiser reserves the right to make alterations and additions to the league rules, should the matter arise.

As I said, questions about rules or clarity on anything - please post in this thread.

I don't want to be totally formal but it's for clarity purposes in case there are any disputes :)

I have no idea what haey means

Why not repeat the process you just explained ;)

Why not repeat the process you just explained ;)

¿ʇɐɥʇ op ʎlqᴉssod I plnoɔ ʍoH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Player name: Conor222
    Have you captained a codenames game before: Yes

• Advertisement

Can i suggest a bonus 10 points for a clue that gets over five answers attached (not random guesses)
    that should make people really go for it early!
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Nice idea, of course you could possibly just give loads of 0 clues to eliminate the words that weren't yours, and then bam a five+ worder :pac: Would be worth going for even if you lost the game.

Edit; though I suppose going by the rules you'd still need to link them in some way as the clue and number has to actually relate to the correct number of words

You could do a point per word correctly guessed, and then bonus points for winning the game?

unfair advantage to the 9 teams over the 8 teams.

unfair advantage to the 9 teams over the 8 teams.

Fair point.

Pter wrote: »
    You could do a point per word correctly guessed, and then bonus points for winning the game?

Or could use number of answers guessed as a type of goals scored type entity for tie breakers?
    The points per word would be difficult as if you win a game (+3 say) but the other team hit the assassin on their first guess then you'd end up with 3 points, a huge hole to get out of given the average win would be worth 11.5 points

conor222 wrote: »
    Or could use number of answers guessed as a type of goals scored type entity for tie breakers?
    The points per word would be difficult as if you win a game (+3 say) but the other team hit the assassin on their first guess then you'd end up with 3 points, a huge hole to get out of given the average win would be worth 11.5 points

I think the points per correct guess would have to be to the exclusion of the other points methods. Maybe the assassin deduction; but you are right, it would be a huge gap.

You could do reverse scoring.

Teams start with possibility of scoring.
    9v8
    red v blue
    9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 and 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1
    let say red wins with blue having 3 words still on the board,
    well red gets 0 points and blue gets 6.
    if opponent hits assassin, then you automatically get a 0.

lowest points in the league wins.

I think this scoring method takes in all points raised above.

You could do reverse scoring.

Teams start with possibility of scoring.
    9v8
    red v blue
    9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 and 8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1
    let say red wins with blue having 3 words still on the board,
    well red gets 0 points and blue gets 6.
    if opponent hits assassin, then you automatically get a 0.

lowest points in the league wins.

I think this scoring method takes in all points raised above.

Opposition gets 0 if you hit the assassin?

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    Opposition gets 0 if you hit the assassin?

0 is the perfect score. if you hit assasin with 5 words remaining,

you'd get 1+2+3+4+5= 15 points and opposition gets 0 points.

Advertisement