Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROI & NI ID required to travel to U.K. (Aerlingus&Ryanair)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Hi,

My dad is flying for the first ever time on Friday from Dublin to Manchester. He is in his 60s, and he is on disability, hence he has a public services card with his picture on it. This is literally the only form of identification he has with his photo on it.

My question is a) can he really use this to get on the plane to England? and b) is it ok that his public services card has both his first name and middle name listed under "forename" whereas, in the reservation with Aer Lingus, I only listed his first name and surname, with no middle name?

I tried reaching Aer Lingus on both Twitter and by phone but they must be busy after the snow and all its disruptions. Thanks for any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

roro1990 wrote: »
    My question is ............. b) is it ok that his public services card has both his first name and middle name listed under "forename" whereas, in the reservation with Aer Lingus, I only listed his first name and surname, with no middle name?

He won't have a problem with that, airlines don't care about second or third forenames.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I used my Leap card once leaving Dublin Airport just to see if it would be accepted, it was. Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure he keeps his boarding card to show in Dublin at passport control in case they think he's come from a different flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Shouldn't be a problem. I used my Driving Licence coming home from Birmingham on Tuesday night. The attendant at the boarding gate asked for a passport but didn't react when I handed over my licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod note

I've deleted a post. Please read our charter before posting again in this thread.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

@OP: I've asked for you on twitter. I'll post if/should I receive a reply.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@OP: I've asked for you on twitter. I'll post if/should I receive a reply.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Reply received from @AerLingus by me.

They stated that "Once they are born in Ireland or the U.K.; this(form of ID) will be fine" and they directed me to --> https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/ <--

Hope that helps,
    Wish Safe Travels,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Reply received from @AerLingus by me.

They stated that "Once they are born in Ireland or the U.K.; this(form of ID) will be fine" and they directed me to --> https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/ <--

Hope that helps,
    Wish Safe Travels,
    kerry4sam

We need to differentiate between what Aer Lingus will accept in order to allow you to board the plane (to/from the UK) and what Irish immigration officials will accept in order to admit you back into the country.

Aer Lingus will accept pretty much anything with your photo on it. Their agenda is to stop people from selling tickets that they cannot use so all they want to see at the boarding gate (in Irish and UK airports) is something with your name and photo on it and off you go.

When you arrive in an Irish airport from the UK, the situation is that technically you do not need a passport if you are a citizen of Ireland or the UK because of the common travel area.

However...... in order to progress through immigration without a passport, you may be asked to produce an official document which shows that you were born in Ireland or the UK. Currently the only documents which fulfil that requirement are passports and driving licences because they show your place of birth which a PSC card does not.

You probably will be admitted with a PSC card if you look and sound Irish (fair skin, Irish accent) but if you have acquired Irish citizenship other than by birth and you look as if you could have come from a third country (not UK or Ireland), you're probably as well off bringing the passport. Otherwise, you may have a prolonged 'conversation' with one of the officials.

If you don't accept this, I suggest you read this post ... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106316734&postcount=8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Not all Irish have fair skin....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 liamo267

do you need a passport to fly from belfast to manchester with ryanair if your from ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liamo267

hi do you need a passport to fly from belfast to manchester if your from ireland thanks in advance

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If your from Ireland you need a passport or passport card to board any Ryanair flight, regardless of where it’s going to or from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

liamo267 wrote: »
    do you need a passport to fly from belfast to manchester with ryanair if your from ireland

Yes, Ryanair require passport / passport card / natonal ID card for EU citizens to board.

If your from Ireland you need a passport or passport card to board any Ryanair flight, regardless of where it’s going to or from.

Belfast to Manchester is a domestic UK flight for which Ryanair says these are the 'Travel Documents Accepted'.....

'Any photo ID which matches the passenger name in the booking.'

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/terms-and-conditions/termsandconditionsar_368204930

That appears to apply regardless of where you're from and anyway, how will they know where you were born if they're prepared to accept the likes of an employee id card which clearly will not show your nationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭davesangel

Hi all, I'm an Irish-born citizen wishing to travel to the UK (Bristol) via. Aer Lingus at the very beginning of February. I was just in Edinburgh back in October but it seems I have misplaced my Passport since that time.
    I have tickets booked to go to Bristol and fear that if I do not find my Passport on time I won't be able to travel. I am aware other forms of ID are accepted by Aer Lingus when travelling from Ireland to the UK and vice versa as discussed on their site.

Hi there, I just wanted to check if you did travel to Bristol via Aer Lingus with just your PSC? I know that other people have commented about this issue but wanted to hear how things went for you as I may be facing a similar issue soon.

roro1990 wrote: »
    Hi,

My dad is flying for the first ever time on Friday from Dublin to Manchester. He is in his 60s, and he is on disability, hence he has a public services card with his picture on it. This is literally the only form of identification he has with his photo on it.

My question is a) can he really use this to get on the plane to England? and b) is it ok that his public services card has both his first name and middle name listed under "forename" whereas, in the reservation with Aer Lingus, I only listed his first name and surname, with no middle name?

I tried reaching Aer Lingus on both Twitter and by phone but they must be busy after the snow and all its disruptions. Thanks for any advice.

Hi there, do you have an update on this? Was your dad's PSC a valid form of ID when he returned to Dublin Airport (ie, did passport control allow him back into the country without any hassle)?

davesangel wrote: »
    Hi there, do you have an update on this? Was your dad's PSC a valid form of ID when he returned to Dublin Airport (ie, did passport control allow him back into the country without any hassle)?

Regardless of what answer (if any) you get from the OP, bear in mind that his dad's experience with a PSC card will not necessarily be replicated if you or someone you know tries it.

At the end of the day, you will get back into the country (eventually) but what level of 'difficulty' you encounter if you don't have proof that you're Irish or British will all be down to the official you meet on the day. And without a passport, you will also need to hang onto your boarding card to show you've just arrived off a flight from the UK and are entitled to avail of the common travel area.

There was a time when you could flash a boarding card showing you'd arrived from a UK airport and they'd wave you through but we live in different times....

coylemj wrote: »
    Regardless of what answer (if any) you get from the OP, bear in mind that his dad's experience with a PSC card will not necessarily be replicated if you or someone you know tries it.

At the end of the day, you will get back into the country (eventually) but what level of 'difficulty' you encounter if you don't have proof that you're Irish or British will all be down to the official you meet on the day. And without a passport, you will also need to hang onto your boarding card to show you've just arrived off a flight from the UK and are entitled to avail of the common travel area.

There was a time when you could flash a boarding card showing you'd arrived from a UK airport and they'd wave you through but we live in different times....

Thanks very much for this. I'm really frustrated that the PSC issuing process took so long - if I'd received it within the timeframe I was quoted on the day of my interview, I would have had the card in Feb with no worries about flying out at end of April but such is life.

Maybe the passport will arrive sooner so I'll keep hoping before I decide whether to travel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Mr.S wrote: »
    Belfast to Manchester is a domestic flight, so any photo ID is accepted.

I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

I know one doesnt allow to board a plane without a passport if traveling to the UK from Ireland but which one is it. Usually fly flybe without needing a passport, only a driving license but need to fly from a different airport, different times and can only fly ryan air or aer lingus and need to know before i book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ryanair demand a passport. Photo ID for UK on all the others. Pre Brexit anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Mike3549

"Passport/EU,EEA ID card only" with ryanair

Mike3549 wrote: »
    "Passport/EU,EEA ID card only" with ryanair

dont have any :(

Caranica wrote: »
    Ryanair demand a passport. Photo ID for UK on all the others. Pre Brexit anyway

what about kids

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I know that Ryanair require passports to fly between UK and Ireland (even with the CTA) but I’m wondering do they actually scan them to check validity or if it’s just a visual check by gate staff?

I need to renew my passport (expires in a few months) but have a couple of Ryanair flights between UK and Ireland upcoming during those months.

The passport itself looks valid til April but once the new passport starts processing online, it’ll null the old one in the system.

I’m about 90% sure it’s just a visual check to make sure it matches your boarding pass and is in date but any advice would be welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

kingbhome wrote: »
    what about kids

Ryanair require a passport every time for everyone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

kingbhome wrote:
    dont have any

Get one or don't book with Ryanair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Batgurl wrote: »
    I know that Ryanair require passports to fly between UK and Ireland (even with the CTA) but I’m wondering do they actually scan them to check validity or if it’s just a visual check by gate staff?

I need to renew my passport (expires in a few months) but have a couple of Ryanair flights between UK and Ireland upcoming during those months.

The passport itself looks valid til April but once the new passport starts processing online, it’ll null the old one in the system.

I’m about 90% sure it’s just a visual check to make sure it matches your boarding pass and is in date but any advice would be welcome!
    the online renewal for irish passports will have your passport to you within a week normally. Is that quick enough?

There are no scans of passports leaving Ireland whether by any airline or the government, so even if your old passport is reported as being expired, no-one will know and you dont need a passport when re-entering ireland from the UK.

Advertisement