Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROI & NI ID required to travel to U.K. (Aerlingus&Ryanair)

Options
  • 08-09-2016 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Passport out of date and don't have driving licence. Travelling next week can I use job ID which has photo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭arbour

No. You won't be allowed travel. Try book a flight with Aer Lingus if you can't sort a passport. They allow you fly with some forms of ID

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Ryanair will require a passport. AerLingus will accept a drivers license. I have used mine travelling to the UK when I couldn't find my passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aer Lingus will take virtually anything with your photo on it for travel to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,150 ✭✭✭✭km79

Passport out of date and don't have driving licence. Travelling next week can I use job ID which has photo

Passport or passport card
    That's it
    No other options other than book a new flight with Aer lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not entirely true. If the OP is a foreign national and has a government issued national identity card, from his home country, Ryanair will accept that. But if he's Irish, that's not an option, as we don't issue those cards here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

you can make an appointment to renew your passport on the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shakilrahman96

Hi all, I'm an Irish-born citizen wishing to travel to the UK (Bristol) via. Aer Lingus at the very beginning of February. I was just in Edinburgh back in October but it seems I have misplaced my Passport since that time.
    I have tickets booked to go to Bristol and fear that if I do not find my Passport on time I won't be able to travel. I am aware other forms of ID are accepted by Aer Lingus when travelling from Ireland to the UK and vice versa as discussed on their site.

A list of acceptable ID are provided but I am unsure if any of the ID I have will be accepted and was wondering if anybody could give me some closure on whether or not the ID I intend to present will be considered acceptable or not.

1: My Student ID (University College Cork)
    It has a photograph and my DoB, however most clubs don't accept student IDs so I highly doubt an Airport will.

2: Public Services Card
    Has my PPS Number and a Photograph of me. Pretty sure you can only have a PPSN if you are an Irish born citizen so surely that will be proof?
    Although I am sure my DoB is absent from the card which may be an issue.

3: SOLAS Safe Pass Card
    Photo ID. High doubts on this one. For those who aren't familiar its a card with my name and photo ID on it which states I am allowed to work on construction sites as I am "competent" to do so.

4(?): Debit Card
    Doubt this is acceptable but I figured having it on me may show them that I am in fact an Irish citizen given the fact I can also bring a bank statement showing proof of address within the country.

I have been told by my mother there is not a chance they'll accept anything but a passport but my friends have told me that I'm good to go. I've contacted Aer Lingus customer support via. email but nothing back for the past 4 days. Figured I'd seek some answers from anybody who can help just so I ain't snookered last minute.

Regards,
    Shakil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

For travel within the CTA, you only really have to prove who you are (i.e. some kind of photo ID). I wouldn't worry about ID not having your DOB on it. Technically any 'official' photo ID is acceptable (even non-government issued, so college or work ID), but airlines sometimes impose their own restrictons.

I'd use your Public Services Card. It says on the Aer Lingus website social security cards with photo is acceptable. You would probably even be fine with a student card but it does say "international student card" so maybe stick the your PSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shakilrahman96

VG31 wrote: »
    For travel within the CTA, you only really have to prove who you are (i.e. some kind of photo ID). I wouldn't worry about ID not having your DOB on it. Technically any 'official' photo ID is acceptable (even non-government issued, so college or work ID), but airlines sometimes impose their own restrictons.

I'd use your Public Services Card. It says on the Aer Lingus website social security cards with photo is acceptable. You would probably even be fine with a student card but it does say "international student card" so maybe stick the your PSC.

Thanks for the quick response and for your time! Puts me a little at ease. I'll continue searching for the Passport in the mean time regardless! Be nice to have it and keep it safe.
    I'll use my Public Services Card so. And I'll bring the other said-IDs just in case there is any commotion when I get there about only have that one ID.

I guess my main concern also was when returning back to Ireland, you have to go through this "Customs" check thing if I remember correctly where they examine your IDs. Never seen anybody ever present anything but a Passport but hopefully I'll be alright.

Much appreciated! Thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭VG31

I guess my main concern also was when returning back to Ireland, you have to go through this "Customs" check thing if I remember correctly where they examine your IDs. Never seen anybody ever present anything but a Passport but hopefully I'll be alright.

Much appreciated! Thanks again :D

You have to go through passport control when arriving in Ireland from the UK as there's no domestic arrivals. I wouldn't worry about not having a passport. I've shown my driving licence before and I've had no issues.

• Advertisement

PSC or driving licence would be next best thing below passport as they are Government issued and have your photo, both are perfectly acceptable for travel to the UK. Keep your boarding card with you when you arrive back here to show the passport people in Dublin airport, it shows that you are coming from the UK so technically do not need a passport. You won't have a problem.

By the way, there are three points on your trip where you will be asked to produce ID.....

1. Boarding at the gate in Dublin - Aer Lingus rules apply - virtually anything with your photo on it is acceptable.

2. Boarding at the gate in Bristol for the return flight - same rules apply.

3. Passport check on arrival (from Bristol) in Dublin airport - this is an immigration check by Irish government agents. Once you can prove (with your boarding pass) that you are off a flight from the UK, you do not require a passport provided you are a citizen of Ireland or the UK. The PSC card should fulfil that requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

If you want a direct answer, talk to Aer Lingus on Facebook. They're much quicker to respond there.

If you want a direct answer, talk to Aer Lingus on Facebook. They're much quicker to respond there.

There is absolutely no point in talking to Aer Lingus, the OP's stress point is going to be at the passport desk on return to Dublin airport. Aer Lingus will let you fly to/from the UK with a battered bus pass.

This is their official policy...

If you’re a citizen of Ireland and/or Britain, you need to carry some form of official photo identification in order to be able to fly with us.

Note: To travel between Ireland and Britain with photo identification other than a passport, you must have been born in Ireland or the U.K. and also be a citizen of either country.

The following forms of photo identification are acceptable once they are in date:

• Valid passport
    • Driver’s licence with photo
    • International student card
    • National ID card/government issued photo ID cards << OP's PSC card will meet this requirement >>
    • Health insurance cards with photo/social security cards with photo
    • Bus pass with photo
    • Work ID with photo

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

VG31 wrote: »

Thanks for that info VG but I've had a recent experience at Cork airport which mystify s me. Happened last week. No passport, with Aer Lingus to Heathrow on Thursday using Public Services Card ( PSC) without a problem. Leave Heathrow on Saturday at 2pm and reach Immigration control at Cork airport 3.30pm. Hand luggage only and produce my PSC to gate. Plain clothes officer tells me this document is no good and needs to see Passport or Driving Licence. Wasn't smiling either. Luckily I had my driving Licence and walked through.
    I was so annoyed that I forgot to ask him what my situation would be if I didn't have a driving licence or passport which there is no requirement to have anyway. Lots of people go through life without these documents.
    I have spent the last few days trying to chase down a government body that would clarify the matter and met some very unintelligent people on the phone in Garda headquarters and Citizens Advice Bureau. Eventually I got this answer from Justice.ie after seeking an answer from Dublin Airport. Here it is but I am not accepting it as a final answer. Your advice on my next step would be much appreciated.

It is the responsibility of each individual presenting at the boarder to
    satisfy an immigration officer regarding their eligibility to enter the
    state. For Irish nationals this is normally done with a passport however
    for journeys within the common travel area a Driving License is also valid
    for individuals born in Ireland or the United Kingdom. As a public services
    card does not specify nationality or place of birth it is not a valid
    document for these purposes.

As previously stated by my colleague if you travel on your Public Services
    Card you are advised to email this address on the day you travel for
    immigration clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I'm afraid that isn't the answer.
    The question is really whether ones PSC is evidence of ones identity and sufficient to entitle a citizen entry to Ireland through our airports.

wackokid wrote: »
    I'm afraid that isn't the answer.
    The question is really whether ones PSC is evidence of ones identity and sufficient to entitle a citizen entry to Ireland through our airports.

You got the answer from the Dept. of Justice and quoted it above - it is not sufficient to show that you are entitled to avail of the common travel area.

The PSC card does not prove that you are an Irish or UK citizen (because it does not show place of birth) so showing a PSC card alone is insufficient to entitle you to avail of the Common Travel Area i.e travel between Ireland and the UK without a passport. That's effectively what they told you.

See post #8 above. I suspect the average caucasian holding a boarding card showing they're just off a UK flight won't have a problem but DoJ appears to take the view that the PSC doesn't prove that you're an Irish or UK citizen so you can get some grief from the official you meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

coylemj wrote: »
    See post #8 above. I suspect the average caucasian holding a boarding card showing they're just off a UK flight won't have a problem but DoJ appears to take the view that the PSC doesn't prove that you're an Irish or UK citizen so you can get some grief from the official you meet.

It’s not that the DoJ doesn’t believe it proves nationality, it absolutely doesn’t prove nationality. Anyone from any country in ireland on as little as a student visa can apply for a PSC in order to work for their allotted 20 hours a week. The PSC is not handed up later. At least a driving licence carries a place of birth which, for anyone born in Ireland or the U.K., would be much more likely to establish entitlement to nationality (but not entirely so). A PSC card merely shows an entitlement to register for a PPS. number at some stage in the past.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    How can you prove your an Irish-born citizen with say, a student or Garda Age card?

You can't.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Me, being an Irish Born Citizen can travel on my work ID to London via Aerlingus but then how does Aerlingus distinguish between my friend, who has the same form of ID but is not an Irish citizen?

Aer Lingus don't care about your nationality when you fly to the UK, only that you are the person named on the boarding card and that check is done solely to stop people from selling tickets that they cannot use themselves.

As I pointed out in post #7....
    the OP's stress point is going to be at the passport desk on return to Dublin airport. Aer Lingus will let you fly to/from the UK with a battered bus pass.

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s not that the DoJ doesn’t believe it proves nationality, it absolutely doesn’t prove nationality.

If a red-haired cailin with a Kerry accent is off a UK flight and she flashes a PSC card in Dublin airport, she will be waved through without a second glance. Anyone who gets grief because that's all the ID they have is probably guilty of the crime of not 'looking' Irish.

If a red-haired cailin with a Kerry accent is off a UK flight and she flashes a PSC card in Dublin airport, she will be waved through without a second glance. Anyone who gets grief because that's all the ID they have is probably guilty of the crime of not 'looking' Irish.

I thought that also but luckily had my driving licence.
    It's difficult to understand how one's PSC is acceptable at all levels on the way out and again at Heathrow where they almost check the sugar lumps for explosives.
    Something's wrong when ( as you say) somebody who is obviously Irish with a mug shot , PPS number and Signature on their PSC are prohibited from entering their homeland.
    After all, there is no obligation on anybody to posses a Passport or Driving Licence.
    Time to get the Heal Rae's on the job me thinks.........:D

It's difficult to understand how one's PSC is acceptable at all levels on the way out and again at Heathrow where they almost check the sugar lumps for explosives.

Let me try for the third time ....

when you fly out of Dublin, the only people you have to show ID to is the airline, ditto when you fly from the UK back to Dublin. Aer Lingus will accept virtually anything with your photo on it for travel between Ireland and the UK. Entering the UK, the only people who might question you are police and special branch, not immigration. Your first encounter with a real immigration official is when you arrive back in Dublin.
    Something's wrong when ( as you say) somebody who is obviously Irish with a mug shot , PPS number and Signature on their PSC are prohibited from entering their homeland.
    After all, there is no obligation on anybody to posses a Passport or Driving Licence.

I agree but here's the conundrum...... technically you don't need a passport to avail of the Common Travel Area provided you are a citizen of Ireland or the UK but the only way to prove that you are a citizen of either country is to produce acceptable ID. Which may include a passport or an official document which states that you were born in either country.

'Coylemj' above this post is adamant that one must PROVE one's citizenship.
    The plot thickens.

'Coylemj' above this post is adamant that one must PROVE one's citizenship.
    The plot thickens.

There is no thickening of the plot. This is what the Dept of Justice told you, you quoted it in this thread and I have copied and pasted what you posted .....
    It is the responsibility of each individual presenting at the boarder to satisfy an immigration officer regarding their eligibility to enter the state

It's all very well asserting that as a citizen, you have the right to enter the state (which you do), you still have the problem of convincing an immigration official that you are an actual citizen of the state in order to exercise that right.

It's a variation on the classic 'chicken and egg' conundrum.

• Advertisement

There is no thickening of the plot. This is what the Dept of Justice told you, you quoted it in this thread and I have copied and pasted what you posted .....

It's all very well asserting that as a citizen, you have the right to enter the state (which you do), you still have the problem of convincing an immigration official that you are an actual citizen of the state in order to exercise that right.

It's a variation on the classic 'chicken and egg' conundrum.

Thanks for clarifying the position. Much appreciated.

Advertisement