Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Spring 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Chilly next weekend. GFS shows a northwesterly regime bringing in polar maritime air but ECM shows a northerly. Subzero temperatures at night? With the ECM solution, yes it is possible but grass frost for certain if it comes off. GFS not so much. Snow on higher ground? Yes, again on the ECM it is possible and GFS not so much.

Daytime temperatures below average for the time of year with 9-12c generally on both of these models though the GFS temperature maps show them as only 7-9c widely.

Do you prefer me labelling the high and low pressures along with the jet stream on these charts?

DFBHSXr.png

VTr2kv3.gif

At the end of the ECM run at +240 hrs, the weather starts to become nicer with a transient ridge being sent up from the Azores and the jet stream going northwards.

iVqlnSK.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yea looks a bit cool next weekend, ECM atm showing temps around 10C during the day and getting down around 1 to 4C at night hopefully that ridge shown to build after +196 will materialize . Will see.

tempresult_ssr2.gif

tempresult_bku1.gif

Zzdobxj.png

qBN349x.png

Awful ECM 12z run with some very wet and cool weather for 29/30 April.

8ouC1iu.gif

jubYBV9.gif

Deluge in England and Wales on Sunday with the GFS whilst the ECM shows it for Saturday. Very cool otherwise. The awful runs continue.

rv599ao.png

Funny how the same day 6 years ago (Sunday 29th April 2012), there was another deluge. In fact, strikingly similar charts.

archives-2012-4-29-0-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Any sign of a settled period of high pressure on the FI horizon?

I honestly can't remember a run of months (since last September) with such a scarcity of high pressure spells!

Even the couple of good days here last week were accompanied by strong and blustery southerly winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Any sign of a settled period of high pressure on the FI horizon?

I honestly can't remember a run of months (since last September) with such a scarcity of high pressure spells!

Even the couple of good days here last week were accompanied by strong and blustery southerly winds.

Going to be cool over the next week, there's signs of improvement in the first week of May however, nothing to ride home about yet but that Azores high is certainly trying to make inroads. Promising for the week/days after.

487b5a7125fd2260966403a20acc998a.png

3c6e101917587a49956219d4ffb4feed.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Very far out GFS shows massive improvements from the 8th of May on, with the Azores high pushing North over us:

gfs-0-312.png?12

Meanwhile, the ECM shows it arriving earlier, by the 3rd of May - slipping back a bit to the south subsequently, but still enough to bring mostly dry weather by the 5th:

ECM1-192.GIF?25-12

ECM1-240.GIF?25-12

The ECM forecast for high and high-ish pressure is inching closer to the reliable timeframe, so fingers crossed for the next few days of model runs I guess. As always, don't get excited quiet yet, but remain cautiously optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I never trust that Azores High until I see it marching ashore on the beaches of West Cork & Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Comhra wrote: »
    I never trust that Azores High until I see it marching ashore on the beaches of West Cork & Kerry.

Unless it's winter when it readily ridges in ;)

Looks like a little bit of an upgrade compared to yesterday. With the ECM showing a high settling just off our east coast for the 5th.

ad08b1084016f4aaca5c81664d5fc2b6.png

ed307f3fca8ce37fd8efcf3524bc959c.png

cf297909a5c9ae29d07c9df3d9370ae6.png

A long way off still, but could be quite nice conditions here, similar to the spell we just had but perhaps warmer for the east this time.

• Advertisement

Just noticed that those 850hPa are values for 2am in the morning, and a birdie once told me to add rougly 10-15 degrees onto those values for sea level temps, so would that mean we're looking at 18c+ at night? I'm still learning this stuff :Dhttps://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/charts/catalogue/medium-z500-t850-public?facets=undefined&time=2018042600,0,2018042600&projection=classical_europe

jdcv94 wrote: »
    Just noticed that those 850hPa are values for 2am in the morning, and a birdie once told me to add rougly 10-15 degrees onto those values for sea level temps, so would that mean we're looking at 18c+ at night? I'm still learning this stuff :Dhttps://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/charts/catalogue/medium-z500-t850-public?facets=undefined&time=2018042600,0,2018042600&projection=classical_europe

Temperatures we would likely be seeing in that kind of setup is perhaps high teens and low 20s though really depending on the sunshine during the day dropping to around the low to mid teens during the night which is very warm for May especially so early in the month. I don't add a certain amount to 850hPa temperatures to estimate what they are on the surface personally, I look at things like cloud cover, exact position of heights and pressure and historical occurrences.

I remember last May's very warm spell towards the end featured 850hPa temperatures of around 11 or 12c which brought daytime temperatures up to 23-26c and nightime temperatures not getting much below the mid teens.

GFS 0z does not show what the ECM shows here, just a flat zonal westerly regime with low pressure to the northwest and high pressure to the southeast before going into a northwesterly again way into FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You add 10-15c in the daytime.

UKMO 12z has the low for Monday very close to the east of Ireland with a northeasterly airstream. Uncertainty on the exact track of the low for now.

England and Wales will certainly have a washout on Monday with a lot of heavy rain and very cool for the time of year with gusty northeasterly winds making it feel very miserable. More like November weather here.

ARPEGE 12z even shows the chance of snow for parts of England within this low.

Je26qc6.gif

x0AJCuX.png

If Ireland isn't going to get hit by that low, the end of the ARPEGE run brings a band of heavy rain down from the northwest anyway.

knn2tCe.png

wh2XMK0.png

If that ARPEGE verifies then England is going to go crazy!

ECM 12z was a downgrade on the 0z of the high ridging up to us. A zonal westerly wins over. Anyway, it's FI so not to worry. Plenty of time to change again and again and again.

IpPthVQ.gif

6ZTFXgP.gif

The ECM and GFS have totally flipped on each other overnight. Now the GFS is indicating at a warm spell on the dates where the ECM 0z was yesterday, which as sryanbruen has posted above, has downgraded.

85fec4a1e5f0b362425e6871d31d0634.png

8df6ee828815236b9ed9fe18fd2f046d.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The ECM and GFS have totally flipped on each other overnight. Now the GFS is indicating at a warm spell on the dates where the ECM 0z was yesterday, which as sryanbruen has posted above, has downgraded.

85fec4a1e5f0b362425e6871d31d0634.png

8df6ee828815236b9ed9fe18fd2f046d.png

Downgraded alright but still doesn't look too bad does it?

ECM 0z is still good with it being quite similar to last week. Perhaps cloudy out to the west though.

ciW4hm8.gif

kmlMfhF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks nice for the bank holiday weekend anyway! Orange is back

ANOM2m_trend_europe.png.fd98a45b8427ba12c2e1c5e92da129b4.png

(courtesy summersun on netweather)

• Advertisement

12z runs are pretty meh, especially in comparison to 0z.

UKMO shows a very unsettled pattern out to the 3rd May (+144 hrs) as far as it can go. There is a big block to the northeast of Europe causing the jet stream to just barely split. The Azores High needs to get itself together to put us in a good scenario here on the UKMO run because a split jet is not good.

EBccnzv.gif

GFS shows a reasonable Sunday 6th May with some nice sunny skies to the south dragging up temperatures in the high teens and maybe touching 20c or a bit higher in one or two spots. Much cloudier up to the north though close to low pressure and the jet stream which eventually by mid-week then wins over.

4doTVIV.png

ECM is similar to its 0z run but the upper airs are cooler and low pressure is closer on the 12z meaning more cloud around perhaps with some rain not too far away from western coasts. Although we have quite a good combination of the Azores High and the Scandinavian High here so it would be a bit difficult to push the lows through against them. ECM is not far off a very good pattern for warmth and sun.

X3Cye0z.gif

ECM 0z delays the high pressure ridging over Ireland but still gets there in the end with lots of dry weather setting up. Quite warm too. Sunshine is hard to say how much there would be.

lLAqXTe.gif

7NBQilO.gif

GFS 0z meanwhile shows an easterly. Don't think it would be particularly sunny though. Nevertheless, it brings quite warm air from the continent.

KsdDyGX.png

MjlM2Fm.png

Artane2002 asked me to look at the GEM 12z from yesterday and my god, what a stonker of a run that was. High pressure sets up slap bang over top of the country.

rZeRkSa.png

Ek2fn4Q.png

So, different solutions are still being thrown at for the May Bank Holiday Weekend but the general theme is for some dry and warm weather from the models for the past few days. Let's hope it continues.

The GEM is a gem :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM showing a bit better Temperature wise next weekend but nothing stand out as yet.

tempresult_egv8.gif

Oexs90J.gif?1

Would be great if the jet takes this Northerly route as shown in the GFS away out in F1

tempresult_tep0.gif

Would be great if the jet takes this Northerly route as shown in the GFS away out in FI

That would be fantastic if it were to be a thing. This has been a crazy Spring that I will certainly not forget any time soon.

Will report on 12z runs later when they have all released. Looking briefly at the GFS 12z, it's seemingly very good so far in terms of dry weather but not all that warm.

UKMO 12z shows the high pressure ridging up from the south on Friday 4th May with the jet stream going to the north!

hShgEME.gif

GFS 12z shows completely anticyclonic conditions throughout from the 5th May onwards.

gg04LHh.png

MCugon9.png

WqwwX03.png

ECM 12z shows two attempts of ridging for 5th and 7th May. The first one goes too far to the south and east to affect Ireland. The second one stays to the south and a zonal regime takes over.

Nni8Ytq.gif

o0VdGdz.gif

GFS 0z brings in two ridges from the Azores for the Bank Holiday Weekend on the 4th and 7th but then a northwesterly quickly takes over and breaks down the pattern. With strong high pressures including a combination over Scandinavia with the Azores, I'm surprised how quickly the GFS breaks it down.

IhRnZ2j.png

ZD46H7A.png

ECM 0z shows pretty much what the GFS 12z yesterday was showing with anticyclonic conditions.

hQP1ZHw.gif

jrYvGn9.gif

05EuzNe.gif

The models tend to break down high pressure far too quickly. The GFS particularly does this. We should ignore the breakdown until the potential fine spell happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

What sort of temperatures would this give to the south west during this set up?

• Advertisement

What sort of temperatures would this give to the south west during this set up?

Mid-teens around 15 or 16c are the average temperatures you should expect here in a pattern of such at this time of year but sunshine or a slight change in wind direction can make all the difference and you could get up to the high teens or even over 20c.

The temperatures on the model runs aren't overly exciting but it is not as simple to forecast temperatures now as it was in Winter because like I said, you can vary quite significantly from region to region with wind direction and the amount of cloud or sunshine.

This is all FI for now which means it is to be taken with a pinch of salt and just used to look at possible solutions we could have for the Bank Holiday Weekend.

It would be nice to get a dry and sunny spell for a change because this Spring badly needs it after what has been a very dull season so far, possibly the dullest start to Spring since 1992.

Good thing is the NAO is continuing to be very positive for the near future on the GFS ensembles.

Advertisement