Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overrated GAA Players

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

sightband wrote: »
    This statement makes my brain hurt

Try reading the rest of the post instead of cutting it off to suit your sad attemt at humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't see how people expressing their opinion about certain players being over-rated in a discussion forum can be shut down so ferociously. It is individual at the end of the day and there is no right or wrong answer.

I mean in Cluxton's case, yeah while it could be argued without much debate that he is the greatest GK of all-time, there is certainly validity to the believe that he is over-rated in terms of being regarded as one of the greatest players of all-time. Last summer when he was breaking yet another appearance record you couldn't pick up a paper without seeing an opinion column on his greatness. This despite the fact that Sean Cavanagh was only one championship appearance behind him, and surely it's harder for an outfielder to have such longevity at the highest level of the game than a GK?

His kick-outs have been no more revolutionary than Durcan's were for Donegal in 2012, and both are only effective by the outfielders being 100% clued in to the system and making themselves available. It's ironic that Gavin's one championship defeat came when Clucko had a "Mayo-like" melt-down in this regard under pre-ordained duress from Donegal. I always felt his composure under the high ball wasn't as top drawer as some of his contemporaries, and is still the weakest facet of his game today.

Overall, Cluxton is probably the greatest goalie of all-time (although his fellow county man John O'Leary would have a say in that too), but it's definitely not a hanging offence to suggest that he is over-rated overall.

I would volunteer TJ Reid as over-rated in the hurling world. The same criticism levelled towards Shefflin can be applied twice as much to TJ. At least Henry conjured up moments of magic from general play- TJ's best quality is probably the power he gets into close-in frees. In his prime now he wouldn't have started on the peak Cody team, and indeed didn't when he was an emerging talent despite Cody's habit of pulling rabbits from hats in throwing unheralded lads into AI finals out of the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

This is a stupid thread only leading to bitches having a go a certain players that don't reside in their own county. Every county has players we all like to hate and others we hate but like deep down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is a stupid thread only leading to bitches having a go a certain players that don't reside in their own county. Every county has players we all like to hate and others we hate but like deep down

That's the purpose of a discussion though isn't it.

It gets stupid when someone won't try to listen to someone others viewpoint, like maybe the reaction to Dublin players being named. Dublin are the greatest team of at least the last 10 years, that doesn't mean that everyone on that team is the best in their position over the period.

My view (as someone from Clare), Tony Kelly is a fine hurler but I do think could now be classed as somewhat overrated. Disappears in some games, takes wild shots and hits far too many wides albeit still being a good hurler.

On the national stage, I think Aidan O'Shea is heavily dependant on his height and strength and without that would be very limited.

Are either of these guys poor players in my view? Not by a long shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

mickeyk wrote: »
    Try reading the rest of the post instead of cutting it off to suit your sad attemt at humour.

No attempt at humour, genuinely one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever read by someone, anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

sightband wrote: »
    No attempt at humour, genuinely one of the stupidest comments I’ve ever read by someone, anywhere.

Taking one line in isolation from someone’s post to try to make them look foolish is just sad mate. Now go away and troll somebody else because I won’t be biting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Whiteladder

For me it's Tipps Padraic Maher. I have seen him get outhurled often enough to consider him overrated. There are other hurlers at inter county level are far superior in terms of their skill levels, positioning and distribution but Paidi gets the nod each team for the booming (aimless) clearances and sticking his chest out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Aidan O Shea

+1

Aidan "down like a sack o' spuds" O Shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Maybe the OP or a mod could change the title of the thread to ''GAA players you don't like'' :rolleyes: some fair scutter being posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

danganabu wrote: »
    Maybe the OP or a mod could change the title of the thread to ''GAA players you don't like'' :rolleyes: some fair scutter being posted here.

But being overrated is probably one of the biggest reasons people don't like players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

For me it's Tipps Padraic Maher. I have seen him get outhurled often enough to consider him overrated. There are other hurlers at inter county level are far superior in terms of their skill levels, positioning and distribution but Paidi gets the nod each team for the booming (aimless) clearances and sticking his chest out.

The wording of the second sentence especially the further the sentence goes gives away that this is more a personal dislike than anything else. Sticking his chest out clearly bothers you but his positioning can't be bad. Few players seem to get on the ball more.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    But being overrated is probably one of the biggest reasons people don't like players.

I'd say the jersey they wear is far more significant.

On the national stage, I think Aidan O'Shea is heavily dependant on his height and strength and without that would be very limited.

But what's wrong with that? It's an innate part of his being. It's like criticising a very fast player for being too reliant on speed. Yes he might be limited without it, but he's not without it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I'd say the jersey they wear is far more significant.

Yup. One of the posters on this, all posts are trolling one team.... time for the lady to get a boyfriend :D

Anyway, time to ignore the thread, let the bi))tching continue :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

To take it away from the "usual suspects" I'm going to go with one of my own here and say Graham Reilly with Meath. He can show up in some games particularly against teams Meath should be beating anyway and rack up a huge score. Come up against Dublin or Kildare or a sticky Ulster team and he goes missing fairly quick.

I'd also go with Daniel Flynn from Kildare, just because he kicks a couple of big points in a game he gets away with murder.

In terms of the Dublin lads, I can't see how you would call them overrated, overrated to me would be lads that put in a huge display, mostly in games their teams should win handy, but go missing in the big games when they're needed in the trenches. Hand on heart I don't think you could say that about a lot of the Dublin or Mayo lads mentioned in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

That's the purpose of a discussion though isn't it.

It gets stupid when someone won't try to listen to someone others viewpoint, like maybe the reaction to Dublin players being named. Dublin are the greatest team of at least the last 10 years, that doesn't mean that everyone on that team is the best in their position over the period.

My view (as someone from Clare), Tony Kelly is a fine hurler but I do think could now be classed as somewhat overrated. Disappears in some games, takes wild shots and hits far too many wides albeit still being a good hurler.

Are either of these guys poor players in my view? Not by a long shot.

That's all well and good but when you get clowns saying this lad is trying to get guys sent off etc it makes this thread stupid and that's having a go. It's not making a real discussion on the player ability and just leads to rubbish.

But what's wrong with that? It's an innate part of his being. It's like criticising a very fast player for being too reliant on speed. Yes he might be limited without it, but he's not without it.

My view is if he hadn't the height and strength, he would not be thought of as highly as a footballer. They are physical attributes more than they are footballing attributes.

For example, I think Gary Brennan is a better footballer than Aidan even though he too is tall and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

Can we please stick to judging players merits in relation to the thread title solely on the basis of their football or hurling skill sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TommyDe

BENDYBINN wrote:
    Diving Diarmuid has a very simple tactic,wins ball and crashes to ground hitting an opponent on the way. Free in to mayo works all the time!

Johnny cooper like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

There have been some farcical, bitter ridden posts (always going to turn into that) but this one takes the biscuit. I’ve rarely seen a player that opposition teams avoid hitting the ball to more than Maher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

You could say the same for any player if they were 2 feet shorter, a few yards slower or had slighter physique. To say O'Shea is overrated with his current attributes would be a fairer opinion.

You could say the same for any player if they were 2 feet shorter, a few yards slower or had slighter physique. To say O'Shea is overrated with his current attributes would be a fairer opinion.

:confused: I'm not sure what your point is. Anyway, here's a previous post on the matter.
    My view is if he hadn't the height and strength, he would not be thought of as highly as a footballer. They are physical attributes more than they are footballing attributes.

For example, I think Gary Brennan is a better footballer than Aidan even though he too is tall and strong.

:confused: I'm not sure what your point is. Anyway, here's a previous post on the matter.

But he does have the height and strength. Why are you trying to view him without out.

But he does have the height and strength. Why are you trying to view him without out.

Because they are not skills as such. They are physical attributes.

Football attributes such as jumping, catching, soloing at speed, foot passing accuracy, shooting, kicking off either foot, hand passing off either foot and so on, I don't think he is remarkable at.
    I'm not saying he is poor (by any stretch), just not that he is exceptional as I think he is portrayed as. ie, I think he is overrated.

I would view Lee Keegan, Andy Moran and Keith Higgins (in his prime) as being better footballers than Aidan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I don't see how people expressing their opinion about certain players being over-rated in a discussion forum can be shut down so ferociously. It is individual at the end of the day and there is no right or wrong answer.

I mean in Cluxton's case, yeah while it could be argued without much debate that he is the greatest GK of all-time, there is certainly validity to the believe that he is over-rated in terms of being regarded as one of the greatest players of all-time. Last summer when he was breaking yet another appearance record you couldn't pick up a paper without seeing an opinion column on his greatness. This despite the fact that Sean Cavanagh was only one championship appearance behind him, and surely it's harder for an outfielder to have such longevity at the highest level of the game than a GK?

His kick-outs have been no more revolutionary than Durcan's were for Donegal in 2012, and both are only effective by the outfielders being 100% clued in to the system and making themselves available. It's ironic that Gavin's one championship defeat came when Clucko had a "Mayo-like" melt-down in this regard under pre-ordained duress from Donegal. I always felt his composure under the high ball wasn't as top drawer as some of his contemporaries, and is still the weakest facet of his game today.

Overall, Cluxton is probably the greatest goalie of all-time (although his fellow county man John O'Leary would have a say in that too), but it's definitely not a hanging offence to suggest that he is over-rated overall.

I would volunteer TJ Reid as over-rated in the hurling world. The same criticism levelled towards Shefflin can be applied twice as much to TJ. At least Henry conjured up moments of magic from general play- TJ's best quality is probably the power he gets into close-in frees. In his prime now he wouldn't have started on the peak Cody team, and indeed didn't when he was an emerging talent despite Cody's habit of pulling rabbits from hats in throwing unheralded lads into AI finals out of the blue.

Very strange post. You say he is the greatest in a position and the say he’s overrated. To me that does not equate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Well he was first sub on in the 2008 & 2009 finals, and he started (and was captain) in 2010, all the while he was still a pup....so I find that statement odd, considering the majority will agree he's improved considerably since.

I'm a Tipp man, so I wouldn't be going out of my way to praise Kilkenny players, but TJ is probably the only player who Kilkenny have left that genuinely frightens me with his capabilities. Richie Hogan is crocked, and the rest just aren't that good.
    But get TJ enough ball, and he'll make **** of you. 13 points, 6 from play the last day against Tipp says it all, some might say it's only the league, give him the chances in the Championship and he'll take them.

Austin Gleeson for me is a man who gets overrated a bit. He's a phenomenal hurler, an amazing athlete (arguably the best athlete in hurling), but there are people out there who believe he's the best hurler in the country, and imo he's not even the best on that Waterford team

Because they are not skills as such. They are physical attributes.

Football attributes such as jumping, catching, soloing at speed, foot passing accuracy, shooting, kicking off either foot, hand passing off either foot and so on, I don't think he is remarkable at.
    I'm not saying he is poor (by any stretch), just not that he is exceptional as I think he is portrayed as. ie, I think he is overrated.

I would view Lee Keegan, Andy Moran and Keith Higgins (in his prime) as being better footballers than Aidan.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think we should be comparing O'Shea to any of the 3 above. They all have different physical & technical attributes. O'Sheas main asset will always be his physique and well it should be, he's an enormous lump of a man.

I'm not disagreeing with your point that he overrated just the way your going around it :)

The wording of the second sentence especially the further the sentence goes gives away that this is more a personal dislike than anything else. Sticking his chest out clearly bothers you but his positioning can't be bad. Few players seem to get on the ball more.

Not bitter in the slightest, I think he is a very good hurler, but just not at the level that is sometimes suggested and I enjoy watching him in full flight. But I am glad you agree he sticks his chest out.

I'd like to see the stats that suggest he gets on the ball more than most players.

Faiche Ro wrote: »
    There have been some farcical, bitter ridden posts (always going to turn into that) but this one takes the biscuit. I’ve rarely seen a player that opposition teams avoid hitting the ball to more than Maher.

Apologies, I clearly touched a nerve here. No bitterness whatsoever, just an opinion. Is it not the object of the game to avoid hitting the ball to an opposing player? Besides, there are many examples of Maher been targeted by opposing teams to really good effect, but if you'd rather get personal than debate the point then that's fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Very strange post. You say he is the greatest in a position and the say he’s overrated. To me that does not equate.

I was saying that he's over-rated from a "greatest player to ever play the game/most influential player of the last 30 years" viewpoint. Which is surely fair enough?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement