Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a woman travelling South America

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 66 Verified rep I'm travelling South America, AMA

Germans etc more money to splash I guess

Mmm.. would you think?! I don't know - I always put it down to them having 80mil so they could spare 1 or 2 mil rambling around South America :)

• Company Representative Posts: 66 Verified rep I'm travelling South America, AMA

scudzilla wrote: »
    What's your favourite type of cheese?

On your travels what is the most peculiar/weirdest type of cheese you've encountered?

Have you come across any really good cheesemongers and if so, what country has the most?

SO MANY CHEESE THEMED QUESTIONS! :)

I wouldn't be a massive lover of cheese TBF . . but if my life depended on it I would say haloumi.

Cheese here in general is terrible. Colombia have a lot of goat cheeses which aren't bad, but they're still nothing on the quality we have at home.

They also love those plastic cheese in wrapper single things.

I am sorry, I feel I am disappointing you in my answers to your cheestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Did u make a detailed plan before( e.g. booked a hostel in very place u planned to travel to). u arrived in SA or just went with the flow?

Where do u keep ur cash? Or just use a bank card??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I usually travel through the day lately, find it better on the ole body.

In previous times, I used to do nightbuses but not anymore. It gives my weary hooves a day off and you get a glimpse of where you're travelling through without any effort. As for the nightbus, just totally fecked with it - destroys the following day. Additionally, it's miserable travelling in the dark.

Then again, I'm no spring chicken so definitely like my comforts these days. I guess I'm flashpacking as I actually try and avoid hostels like the plague (although currently in one - but only because self contained room with bathroom in a nice area at a nice price ..and good reviews).
    I spent 3 weeks in an intensive course in Bolivia but didn't really use it again until Ecuador.
    Can you recommend the course you did? I'm looking for a cheap option to improve my spanish (and by 'my spanish', It's pidgeon spanish - almost enough to be understood and understand others but if I get into it, I have to bring in my official interpreter, Google Translate!). I was told to wait until Equador - that it would be cheaper to do it there?

Can I pick your brains once again? I've been so lax in terms of prep'ing for this trip ....I've done no research whatsoever. I usually just look stuff up before I move somewhere...that's the extent of it.

Going to leave Cali behind. Did you stay anywhere between Cali and the border? eg. Popayan, Pasto or Ipiales? What's to check out?....are one or more of them worth stopping off in?

• Advertisement

Did u make a detailed plan before( e.g. booked a hostel in very place u planned to travel to). u arrived in SA or just went with the flow?

Where do u keep ur cash? Or just use a bank card??

Hey, thanks for the questions :)

I booked 1 night accommodation in a private room at a hostel in BA when I landed and 6 more in a dorm. Which, hindsight was a bad idea as I didn't fall in love with BA and 7 days is quite a long time there. I had 6m to plan my trip before flying out but I didn't actually plan the itinerary, i just go with the flow. If someone has been to X town and thinks its worth a visit then I go . . I love being so fluid and free in that regard :)

I have an NZ and an Irish account. I left my flipping bank card in a bank in Bolivia... so stupid, but lucky I had another account in NZ I could transfer the funds to.

Lately I've also (naughtily!) been using my credit card...! :(

Can you recommend the course you did? I'm looking for a cheap option to improve my spanish (and by 'my spanish', It's pidgeon spanish - almost enough to be understood and understand others but if I get into it, I have to bring in my official interpreter, Google Translate!). I was told to wait until Equador - that it would be cheaper to do it there?

I volunteered at Beehive Hostel in Sucre and they also arrange tuition. Get this, I had 1:1 tuition with a university professor for 2h a day for ... drum roll please... 8EUR . . so, 4EUR an hour! I wanted originally to do 4h per day but its so taxing on the brain that the 2h was enough. It was perfect!

Bolivia is the cheapest and their Spanish is BEAUTIFUL. They speak slow and clear and Sucre is a lovely town to stay in for a couple of weeks. I didn't love Ecuadorian Spanish, found them quite quick and they use a lot of slang. I didnt price lessons there though so I can't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Hi,
    can you post a few photos of your trip to give us an idea of the sights!Safe journey!

Can I pick your brains once again? I've been so lax in terms of prep'ing for this trip ....I've done no research whatsoever. I usually just look stuff up before I move somewhere...that's the extent of it.

Going to leave Cali behind. Did you stay anywhere between Cali and the border? eg. Popayan, Pasto or Ipiales? What's to check out?....are one or more of them worth stopping off in?

We travel very similarly then :)

I took a very dangerous night bus from Ipiales to Cali - which I absoluetly shouldn't have done as its notorious for hijack. But it took me hours to cross the border and I just wanted to move.

Oh the border. Oh my heart. Okay, you have probably heard about the Venezuelans making the border longer right? I crossed in the other direction from Ecuador and got there at 6am, it took me 6hours. To walk about 200m. BUT, I was crossing for a holiday these people flee for their lives. It humbles you SO much!

My advise is to get there as early as you can. That means staying a night in Ipiales which isn't a bad spot and the church is flipping stunning. The entry and exit line is the same line, an the Colombian side and Ecuador side are as bad as each other. I've heard reports of 2h and 12h in recent weeks so there is no rhyme nor reason.

When you get to Ecuador the nearest town is Tulcan but its a bit of a dive (as all border towns are!) I stayed in a fairly decent hotel across from the bus station for 15USD private room. The bus from Tulcan to Quito takes 5hrs.

downwesht wrote: »
    Hi,
    can you post a few photos of your trip to give us an idea of the sights!Safe journey!

I would love to! Hungover as hell in Medellin with nothing better to do than book a dive trip :) Will post some soon, thank you :)

• Advertisement

Holy smokes this is hard to post pictures of my trip as there are SO many and I've done so much. I actually got quite teary looking back, thank you downwesht for the suggestion.
    I have divided by country, giving the top 5 per country.

Argentina.
    1 Buenos Aires
    2 I love a good book shop - this one is my favourite in the world! El Ateneo Grand Splendid - a converted theatre now a bookshop. You can read in the stalls.
    3 Iguazu Falls. I did the falls from both side - incredible. This pic is actually from the Brazilian side, looking at the Argentinian falls.
    4 Salta Salt Flats.
    5. Amazing landscape near Jujuy, North Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

U are living the life!!

Brazil
    This one is so hard as I did so much ..... top 5 is almost impossible.
    But here goes :)

1 Salvador. AMAZING city!
    2 Cristo
    3 Beaches of Praia do Forte, Bahia.
    4 Sunset over Rio from Sugar Loaf
    5 Beaches of Barra do Lagoa, Florianopolis

U are living the life!!

Its a pretty good one, I won't lie :)

Bolivia
    I had a love hate relationship with Bolivia but there is no denying its a spectacular country.

1 Of course, Uyuni salt flats. The chef on my tour took a shining to me and begged me for this picture.
    2 Cycling down Death Road, La Paz. Amazing adrenaline rush!
    3 Sucre where I spent 3 weeks learning Spanish.
    4 Lake Titicaca.
    5 Volcanos near Uyuni.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

great thread. Shame that you didnt take to Argentina - it's a brilliant country.

Buenos Aires is undeniably "European" - its the capital of a country founded on immigration from Europe. Areas like Recoleta and Palermo, for example, are like Madrid to look at. Other areas are more 'indigenous' Latin American and these tend to be poorer areas.

Buenos Aires is also a city that you need to spend some time in and get to know. I can tell you after spending a few years there that 7 days is nothing there. It's huge and I wouldnt even know where to start with advising you what to do there. What did you do in BS AS? One of the things I loved about it is that it never sleeps.

Argentinian people are great craic. It's ridiculously easy to make contacts and form social circles there. I always found them very eager to know why you are there too and chuffed that you chose their country. They do have a reputation for being very big-headed, which they will admit to being!

There is so much outside of BS AS too, so I'd highly recommend Argentina to anyone thinking about it.

Peru
    This country has it ALL!

1 100km, 5 day trek to get here. We were the first people in the gate. I will never forget it.
    2 Laguna 69, Huaraz. I hiked almost the entire country. Altitude kills me. This was the toughest walk I have ever ever done.
    3 Sunset in Arequipa. My favourite colonial town in SA.
    4 Rainbow Mt outside of Cusco.
    5 Casual llama walking in Cusco.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Love the llama one!

I volunteered at Beehive Hostel in Sucre and they also arrange tuition. Get this, I had 1:1 tuition with a university professor for 2h a day for ... drum roll please... 8EUR . . so, 4EUR an hour! I wanted originally to do 4h per day but its so taxing on the brain that the 2h was enough. It was perfect!
    Getting grumpy in my old age so I need my comforts...so may not stay at the hostel depending on whats available #flashpacker!
    However, I'll take the tuition all day long. Can't pass up an opportunity like that. I had been told to wait until Equador/Bolivia for this alright. Would solve 2 problems;
    1. I need to engage with something. When you're travelling for a year, the dynamic is different. It's ok being on the beer for a month or so but after that, need a sense of purpose as when out of routine, I find it very hard so stay away from the grog (when a beer is 80 cents or less).
    2. Get to improve my Spanish for next to nothing.
    We travel very similarly then :)

I took a very dangerous night bus from Ipiales to Cali - which I absoluetly shouldn't have done as its notorious for hijack. But it took me hours to cross the border and I just wanted to move.
    I thought those days were over? Is this guerrilla related or just opportunist bandits? I know the FARC have taken the peace process route but talks with the ELN broke down..and if memory serves me, they're active down that corner..?
    Oh the border. Oh my heart. Okay, you have probably heard about the Venezuelans making the border longer right? ....BUT, I was crossing for a holiday these people flee for their lives. It humbles you SO much!
    For the benefit of people back home, what is going on in Venezuela is a complete and utter travesty. Having spend a month in Panama and another month in Colombia, the amount of Venezuelans that are in both countries (and scattered throughout S./C. America) is unreal..and they're pretty desperate. Nicolas Maduro and his cronies is/are robbing their own people blind. I don't think it's getting the publicity it deserves in the International Media. Not only is it a case that westerners can't travel to Venezuela, displaced Venezuelans won't go home as if they come back, they will be targeted. The rationale being that if you've been outside the country and come back, you'll have brought $$ with you. They'll turn you upside down for that $$. A friend of a Japanese traveller I met was robbed in his own hotel in Venezueala. It got worse...later on, he was kidnapped! It took a major effort to get him released.
    My advise is to get there as early as you can. That means staying a night in Ipiales which isn't a bad spot and the church is flipping stunning.
    Ipiales it is. I have time so for comfort, I don't mind stopping there. Did you stop anywhere else between Ipiales and Cali? eg. Pasto or Popayan? Any value in stopping in those places?
    When you get to Ecuador the nearest town is Tulcan but its a bit of a dive (as all border towns are!) I stayed in a fairly decent hotel across from the bus station for 15USD private room. The bus from Tulcan to Quito takes 5hrs.
    I guess if I don't have enough daylight hours left to move on from Tulcan, then I'll make a utility stop there.

- would you have any objection to swapping email addresses if I PM you? You have done the route I'm taking (in reverse). Given that it's relatively fresh in your mind, the intel you have is pure gold to me. In return, any info on Panama I can provide.

- how did you swap from Brazil to the West Coast? Did you skip Chile completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Not to be a Nervous Nellie or anything but are you still planning to go to Honduras? It’s homicide rate is very high. At least in South Africa, I know what some of the people are saying so I can get a heads up.

• Advertisement

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Not to be a Nervous Nellie or anything but are you still planning to go to Honduras? It’s homicide rate is very high. At least in South Africa, I know what some of the people are saying so I can get a heads up.

Hiya :) Thanks for your question and your concern. Yes I am... I've heard amazing things about it! Again tho, will depend on the speed I move myself.

I believe as long as you keep your witts about you, 9.9/10 you are fine. Lets hope that remains true!

great thread. Shame that you didnt take to Argentina - it's a brilliant country.

Buenos Aires is undeniably "European" - its the capital of a country founded on immigration from Europe. Areas like Recoleta and Palermo, for example, are like Madrid to look at. Other areas are more 'indigenous' Latin American and these tend to be poorer areas.

Buenos Aires is also a city that you need to spend some time in and get to know. I can tell you after spending a few years there that 7 days is nothing there. It's huge and I wouldnt even know where to start with advising you what to do there. What did you do in BS AS? One of the things I loved about it is that it never sleeps.

Argentinian people are great craic. It's ridiculously easy to make contacts and form social circles there. I always found them very eager to know why you are there too and chuffed that you chose their country. They do have a reputation for being very big-headed, which they will admit to being!

There is so much outside of BS AS too, so I'd highly recommend Argentina to anyone thinking about it.

Hey!
    100% agree that 7 days iant enough to see a city but I simply didnt like it. As i said earlier, it may be because it was the beginning of my trip but I never warmed to Argentina, even when I went back after Uruguay, Brazil and 6 weeks on thr road.

I have wonderful Argie friends who are gems, one of them showed me BA. We danced tango almost nightly, San Telmo sunday markets, Boca, i spent a few hrs at the Cemetary, quite liked Palermo, did a walking tour. I also spent 2 days in the delta at Tigre where my friend has her holiday home.

I will return back as I want to do Patagonia. Maybe it will grow on me! :)

Hey!
    100% agree that 7 days iant enough to see a city but I simply didnt like it. As i said earlier, it may be because it was the beginning of my trip but I never warmed to Argentina, even when I went back after Uruguay, Brazil and 6 weeks on thr road.

I have wonderful Argie friends who are gems, one of them showed me BA. We danced tango almost nightly, San Telmo sunday markets, Boca, i spent a few hrs at the Cemetary, quite liked Palermo, did a walking tour. I also spent 2 days in the delta at Tigre where my friend has her holiday home.

Ipiales it is. I have time so for comfort, I don't mind stopping there. Did you stop anywhere else between Ipiales and Cali? eg. Pasto or Popayan? Any value in stopping in those places?
    I guess if I don't have enough daylight hours left to move on from Tulcan, then I'll make a utility stop there.

- would you have any objection to swapping email addresses if I PM you? You have done the route I'm taking (in reverse). Given that it's relatively fresh in your mind, the intel you have is pure gold to me. In return, any info on Panama I can provide.

- how did you swap from Brazil to the West Coast? Did you skip Chile completely?

Replying on my phone so excuse the layout! Yes its FARC that hijack thr busses apparently, but TG i was fine.
    Sure Id be happy to share tales, I will also post my blog address soon.
    I flew Salvador to Iguazu, then I went through northern Argentina to Bolivia. Yes skipped Chile, will come back for Chile and Patagonia.
    I took the direct bus from Ipiales to Cali, didnt stop.

Sure Id be happy to share tales, I will also post my blog address soon.
    Perfect - PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I hope it does! If you get a chance (although it seems unlikely at this point!) Cordoba is good. Not the city, but the towns on the outskirts like Villa Carlos Paz you can see some beautiful places. Didnt find out if you went to Bariloche but that's beautiful too and might be easier for you to pass through.

Enjoy and take care!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Blackeyemac

Lovin' this thread, keeping up with yer adventures.. Have you heard of Spencer James Conway? just back from year and half motorbiking around South America, enjoyed his stuff too on FB. Very funny guy.. enjoy your travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

All the while I have no internet and no way of booking accommodation in Medellin. One of the scariest and most dangerous cities in the world. Which I expect to arrive at by midnight. With no clue of where Im going as I wasn't supposed to be in Medellin till Monday.

It really isn't these days. It's nowhere close to even being the most dangerous in Colombia.

It really isn't these days. It's nowhere close to even being the most dangerous in Colombia.
    That's true but it's also not without significant danger. I stayed in El Centro near Botero Plaza. Let me tell you it can get pretty hairy around that area when the darkness descends. Added to that, it's pretty ballsy to travel S.America as a single white female.

• Advertisement

I hope it does! If you get a chance (although it seems unlikely at this point!) Cordoba is good. Not the city, but the towns on the outskirts like Villa Carlos Paz you can see some beautiful places. Didnt find out if you went to Bariloche but that's beautiful too and might be easier for you to pass through.

Enjoy and take care!

I've met so many Argentines from Cordoba if I do return I will have to pay a visit! Same goes for Mendoza - I've a few more goes out of this continent yet I'd say!
    Didn't get as south as Bariloche, saving it. Although I've heard its like Queenstown?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement