Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to a woman travelling South America

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Are you going to smoke all the weed, or barter it off for something else?

Have you tried the local coke yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Thank you for your question :)

Disclaimer - I arrived in July, it was my first country and it was freezing with 0 travellers. So my view may be tainted.
    But.
    I have never felt so objectified.

Women would not look me in the eye.
    Men would stop what they were doing to make kissing noises or clap. It didnt matter how old they were, if they were in a group or solo, a suit or a construction worker.

Nor did it matter what I wore or what I did, eye contact or ignore them. I sat in cafes and watched local women, got the same attention.

Worst was at an intersection. A boy racer car slowed beside me and the passenger was jeering out the window at me. The lights changed green and the car sped off but the paasenger was so far out the window shouting that he lost balance and fell out of the car.

1 Argentine woman dies by domestic voilence every 23h

Every city was the same. I couldn't connect with locals.

Countries change massively as do locals. Bolivians are harshest, Colombians and Brazilians friendliest.

Machoism is everywhere.
    Its interesting to hear your experience of the sexism, I know it is a fair few years behind what we consider acceptable here in a lot of areas, but my wife and I travelled as a couple and I guess I insulated her from a lot of that attention? Our paleness did make us stand out in a few regions though :D
    I would LOVE to venture off the gringo trail more as I believe thats where the good stuff is but as a single white female it is just not safe. Male travellers have the benefit in that regard.

I hit up local coffee ahops and meet locals. They always know best. I never travel by a Lonely Planet instead go by other travellers advice. But only travellers I know I am similar to.

I avoid the irish party hostels like the PLAGUE.

Whaaaat? Whats the point in going all the way to South America if you cant wear your county colours, pay 12$ for a can of Guinness and have a curry chips?

Bolivia was a highlight for me. I know your not going to go back to alter your journey based on a random guy from the internet, but I sort of enjoyed how unprepared for tourism it was (we are talking 8 years ago)
    I was regularly told that bustling restaurants in small towns had "no food" because they just didn't want gringos there stinking up the place I guess....sometimes I persisted and a conversation and common ground (I did pretend to be a Susan Boyle fan in Uyuini :) ) meant they then went OTT in their service!
    But for a quickfire lesson in geography, colonism and native history, Boliva condenses a hell of a lot in there!

Paraty was amazing, we spent 10 or 12 days there when we had only planned to spend 2 or 3. I particulary remember a crazy journey from Sao Paulo via some place called Ubatuba (another bigger but very colonial style town) great surfing and swam with turtles.

On days like this when its -6 its nice to reflect on those peaceful days with zero responsibility except where we can get a nice cool beer from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How are you financing your expedition?

What did your folks say when you mentioned you were going to travel alone in SA?

Do you not feel guilty that you’re not at home saving for a mortgage, settling down with kids and all that nonsense?

Apart from friends and family, what are you missing from home?

What’s been your food highlights in SA?

Good luck to you, well done for doing it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Have you come across a country that you prefer than NZ?

• Company Representative Posts: 66 Verified rep I'm travelling South America, AMA

Why South America?

What's been the toughest part so far?
    South America .. long story but!
    My last round the world trip was 2009 and I had a ticket for SE Asia, Aus, Nz and SA. But ended up in NZ for 9 yesrs so never hopped the Pacific! Guess it was unfinished business?

The first 4 months were hard. I expected it to be different to what it was, more travellers, better weather, more connections. I got none of that.

I find the constant change hard, every day everything changes - your dorm mates, the city, the transport, the country, currency, climate, the food, if you have a kitchen, your bed. Everything is different and its hard to be so fluid all the time. I also miss connection. If I have to say "I am from, I have been, I live in, I have been on the road for.. " one more time...! I miss routine. I miss my friends. I also know long term travel is not for me and I will never do a full year again.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 66 Verified rep I'm travelling South America, AMA

beertons wrote: »
    Are you going to smoke all the weed, or barter it off for something else?

Have you tried the local coke yet?
    Haha I actually don't smoke! My dormmates were delighted when I gifted the priests offerings haha!
    I have also not done coke here, I've never done it. I am quite scared to try it here because of obvious dangers, despite it probably being the purest in the world.
    But it is ridiculously cheap... around 2USD per gram.

gucci wrote: »
    Thank you for your question :)

Disclaimer - I arrived in July, it was my first country and it was freezing with 0 travellers. So my view may be tainted.
    But.
    I have never felt so objectified.

Women would not look me in the eye.
    Men would stop what they were doing to make kissing noises or clap. It didnt matter how old they were, if they were in a group or solo, a suit or a construction worker.

Nor did it matter what I wore or what I did, eye contact or ignore them. I sat in cafes and watched local women, got the same attention.

Worst was at an intersection. A boy racer car slowed beside me and the passenger was jeering out the window at me. The lights changed green and the car sped off but the paasenger was so far out the window shouting that he lost balance and fell out of the car.

1 Argentine woman dies by domestic voilence every 23h

Every city was the same. I couldn't connect with locals.

Countries change massively as do locals. Bolivians are harshest, Colombians and Brazilians friendliest.

Machoism is everywhere.
    Its interesting to hear your experience of the sexism, I know it is a fair few years behind what we consider acceptable here in a lot of areas, but my wife and I travelled as a couple and I guess I insulated her from a lot of that attention? Our paleness did make us stand out in a few regions though :D
    I would LOVE to venture off the gringo trail more as I believe thats where the good stuff is but as a single white female it is just not safe. Male travellers have the benefit in that regard.

I hit up local coffee ahops and meet locals. They always know best. I never travel by a Lonely Planet instead go by other travellers advice. But only travellers I know I am similar to.

I avoid the irish party hostels like the PLAGUE.

Whaaaat? Whats the point in going all the way to South America if you cant wear your county colours, pay 12$ for a can of Guinness and have a curry chips?

Bolivia was a highlight for me. I know your not going to go back to alter your journey based on a random guy from the internet, but I sort of enjoyed how unprepared for tourism it was (we are talking 8 years ago)
    I was regularly told that bustling restaurants in small towns had "no food" because they just didn't want gringos there stinking up the place I guess....sometimes I persisted and a conversation and common ground (I did pretend to be a Susan Boyle fan in Uyuini :) ) meant they then went OTT in their service!
    But for a quickfire lesson in geography, colonism and native history, Boliva condenses a hell of a lot in there!

Paraty was amazing, we spent 10 or 12 days there when we had only planned to spend 2 or 3. I particulary remember a crazy journey from Sao Paulo via some place called Ubatuba (another bigger but very colonial style town) great surfing and swam with turtles.

On days like this when its -6 its nice to reflect on those peaceful days with zero responsibility except where we can get a nice cool beer from.
    Walking with guys changes everything and I always opt for it. Its better if girls are with foreign guys, if you are with a local guy its assumed you like the attention and you are treated like more of a "prize". The claps and whistles stop but the stares intensify (if possible!)

I did 5 weeks in Bolivia and I liked it but so far it has been the hardest country to travel without fail. Everything is just a little bit more corrupt than everywhere else but Im not even sure if the locals know it so there is a massive disconnect. Bolivia is an experience - I agree the culture is amazing.

Brazil had my heart before Colombia, I just ADORED it.

How are you financing your expedition?

What did your folks say when you mentioned you were going to travel alone in SA?

Do you not feel guilty that you’re not at home saving for a mortgage, settling down with kids and all that nonsense?

Apart from friends and family, what are you missing from home?

What’s been your food highlights in SA?

Good luck to you, well done for doing it! :)

In NZ I worked for the government and it paid well. I saved hard for 6 months, sold everything I owned and left with 15k NZD in my bank and 5k NZD for my return to NZ fund. I am down to 3k NZD and my NZ fund has also has 2k gone from it! Galapagos and Ecuador in general absolutely smashed me. But I do not regret a thing!

I first left Ireland at 17 and my parents have always worried after me but never questioned me. Interestingly, I was on a tinder date in Arequipa Peru and he could not understand me nor my life. He quizzed me for hours as the Western family dynamic is so far removed from the Latino way and he couldn't understand why my parents didn't stop me at any time. And he asked me "have you ever made really bad decisions, gotten arrested, into drugs etc" to which I said I hadn't. And he concluded my parents trust me not to be a *ick, therefore have confidence in me and my decisions.
    I thought that was a nice way of thinking of it. After the interrogation haha!
    I also WhatsApp them a quick "Im fine!" Message when I have wifi which is generally daily.

Adult life calls me. I want a home and a dog. More than anything I want a family and I am super aware of my clock. But these things will come, doubtfully in Colombia. Who knows what the future holds but I know in 13 weeks I will be back in NZ doing the regular life and that will be soon enough to start thinking of the future.

Crossfit.
    But! I miss unpacking my bag! I miss the choice of clothes. I miss a washing machine. I miss not having a certain scent. I miss not having sex in toilets and dorm beds when the room is empty. I miss earning money and feeling like a contributing member of society. I miss having 1 shop sell everything you need. I miss my veg store not also selling paint, wine, tyres and mattresses. I miss having no difficulty conversing. I miss routine.

The food has been AMAZING! In NZ i was vegan which changed to vegetarian here. But even at that i have to eat meat every so often as the protein levels are basically 0 in meals here, you just get extra rice. There is a meat market (literally) in Montevideo, Uruguay which changed everything for me. Brazil has everything buffet style, you havent lived until you've done a 12 course pizza buffet. Bolivia surprised me, delicious. Peru underwhelmed me.
    I love arepas. And tapiocas.
    Most of all i adore the Latino attitude to food. Give them 3 ingredients and you will eat like a queen. No matter what age, every Latino can cook and feed the family. Meal times are special, last hours and are always full of deliciousness!

justshane wrote: »
    Have you come across a country that you prefer than NZ?
    Nnoo!! And... I compare everything! Nz has spoiled me.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Palomino is worth travelling to in Colombia. Tourism is a recent arrival so it's still relatively quiet while also having a backpacker scene.

Tayrona National Park was recommended to us but we didn't go because of poor weather.

If you only have a couple of weeks left maybe travel to Panama via the San Blas Islands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

The whole country?! Hahaha... I am 4 weeks in and still in the South!
    If you want, give me another month or so until I have explored more and I will give you a more comprehensive overview?
    PM me for my blog and I will be happy to help!

PM Sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Oh snap! Currently doing the same thing. Done Panama, then Medellin, Jardín, Pereira, Bogotá, Armenia and just about to arrive in Cali.

Colombia rocks.

A day in the life.
    I left my hostel this morning to get a 1h bus to Pereira, for another 3h bus to Riosucio and another 3h bus to Jardin. Total journey time 7h.
    The bus to Riosucio took an extra 4h. The bus was barely held together. The large lady beside me sat on me the entire time, in 30deg heat.
    The bus took to the mountains, Miss SittyPants started vomiting. In and around me and my space.
    Got to Riosucio.
    Realized the last bus was 3pm. It was 1645.
    Despite the best offer of a bed from the toothless arepa salesman, I declined.
    Got back on the same teethrattler bus. To Medellin. Apparently 4h away. (LIES!)
    It hit a jeep turning a corner.
    Driver of the jeep carried off in ambulance. Seemed okay, maybe broken bones.
    Needed to wait for a replacement bus.
    All the while I have no internet and no way of booking accommodation in Medellin. One of the scariest and most dangerous cities in the world. Which I expect to arrive at by midnight. With no clue of where Im going as I wasn't supposed to be in Medellin till Monday.
    Looked back on every note any traveller gave me with hostel tips and with free Colombian WhatsApp messaged them all. All full.
    Thankfully somehow i got wifi strong enough for FB messenger and friends came to my rescue to book me a bed.
    All the while a mosquito assaulted my forehead.
    Oh and, no food in over 12h.
    Times like today I FREAK THE FCK OUT and I want to go home.

Oh snap! Currently doing the same thing. Done Panama, then Medellin, Jardín, Pereira, Bogotá, Armenia and just about to arrive in Cali.

Colombia rocks.

Cali is good craic, the salsa is the closest you will get to sex with your clothes on ;)

I never wana leave!!

purcela wrote: »
    Palomino is worth travelling to in Colombia. Tourism is a recent arrival so it's still relatively quiet while also having a backpacker scene.

Tayrona National Park was recommended to us but we didn't go because of poor weather.

If you only have a couple of weeks left maybe travel to Panama via the San Blas Islands?

Just looked up Palomino ... looks amazing, it is now on the list thank you!

Will try for San Blas but its so busy it needs booking 5 weeks in advance, and for 500USD I am unsure if its worth it. I am meandering with no set plan but i doubt I can swim the gap haha!

Excited for Tayrona too... all of the North actually!

Will try for San Blas but its so busy it needs booking 5 weeks in advance, and for 500USD I am unsure if its worth it.
    I looked at this option. The expense is one factor. The other is that making that crossing can be horrendous. You have three options if you decide to fly;
    Air Panama to Albrook; Generous baggage allowance and airport right in the heart of the city - right next to the bus terminal.
    Vive Colombia to Panama Pacifica - In theory the cheapest ticket but may not work out that way if you have a good bit of baggage and factor in a higher taxi cost.
    Copa Airlines to Tocumen International Airport (the main Intl. Airport for Panama City) - reasonable baggage allowance but airport is a long way out from the City. Factor in a $30 taxi ride (difficult to get a bus without a swipe card and of course they don't sell swipe cards at the airport...unless you bung someone a few dollars to swipe you in).

Possible from a few different Colombian Cities but I'd imagine Medellin will be your best option.

Also, the airlines will look for proof of an onward journey. If this doesn't suit, you can use onwardflights dot com for $7.

Got to Riosucio.
    Realized the last bus was 3pm. It was 1645.
    That's a real shame as the journey from Riosucio to Jardin is spectacular - through a national reserve via a mud track....and of course, Jardin itself is a wonderful spot.
    I declined.
    Got back on the same teethrattler bus. To Medellin. Apparently 4h away. (LIES!)
    It would ordinarily but the road works on this route are horrendous right now. A lot of people recommending flying from Armenia to Medellin instead because of that.
    It hit a jeep turning a corner.
    Driver of the jeep carried off in ambulance. Seemed okay, maybe broken bones. Needed to wait for a replacement bus.
    Not surprising given the russian roulette they play trying to pass trucks out on mountain roads coming up to hairpin bends!
    All the while I have no internet and no way of booking accommodation in Medellin. One of the scariest and most dangerous cities in the world. Which I expect to arrive at by midnight. With no clue of where Im going as I wasn't supposed to be in Medellin till Monday.
    Medellin - for the most part - is fine if you're staying in Poblado or the likes. If in El Centro (where I stayed), you need to be switched on alright. However, I do sympathise with arriving at that time. I don't like to arrive in any Colombian city in the darkness...as you know, the whole dynamic changes once the darkness descends. You're more vulnerable when you're moving house with baggage, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Nnoo!! And... I compare everything! Nz has spoiled me.

Yeah I spent 5 years in NZ then travelled for 7 months but nothing topped NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi(lucky lady)which of the countries are fairly cheap to eat in etc,and are visas a major problem,and meet any/many Irish on your travels?ENJOY / travelled a lot years ago ,but no s America

Hi(lucky lady)which of the countries are fairly cheap to eat in etc,and are visas a major problem,and meet any/many Irish on your travels?ENJOY / travelled a lot years ago ,but no s America

Thanks for the question :)

Visas have been fine on an Irish pasaport, I have gotten them all at the borders. The borders themselves can be a different tale tho haha.

Bolivia is the cheapest without a doubt, Argentina/Brazil and Ecuador the most expensive - on par to home. Colombia and Peru just sit in the middle somewhere.

I have met very few Irish, maybe 10 in total? Where as I am pretty sure Germany, France and Holland are empty of 20-35 year olds as they are all in Latin America!

• Advertisement

Will try for San Blas but its so busy it needs booking 5 weeks in advance, and for 500USD I am unsure if its worth it.
    I looked at this option. The expense is one factor. The other is that making that crossing can be horrendous. You have three options if you decide to fly;
    Air Panama to Albrook; Generous baggage allowance and airport right in the heart of the city - right next to the bus terminal.
    Vive Colombia to Panama Pacifica - In theory the cheapest ticket but may not work out that way if you have a good bit of baggage and factor in a higher taxi cost.
    Copa Airlines to Tocumen International Airport (the main Intl. Airport for Panama City) - reasonable baggage allowance but airport is a long way out from the City. Factor in a $30 taxi ride (difficult to get a bus without a swipe card and of course they don't sell swipe cards at the airport...unless you bung someone a few dollars to swipe you in).

Possible from a few different Colombian Cities but I'd imagine Medellin will be your best option.

Also, the airlines will look for proof of an onward journey. If this doesn't suit, you can use onwardflights dot com for $7.

Holy smokes amazing thank you! I would prrfer to fly ex Cartagena as otherwise I will be coming back on myself but will check it out.
    A mate did the SB crossing two weeks ago, instead of 5 days took them 8! They ran out of food...!

.[/QUOTE]Medellin - for the most part - is fine if you're staying in Poblado or the likes. If in El Centro (where I stayed), you need to be switched on alright. However, I do sympathise with arriving at that time. I don't like to arrive in any Colombian city in the darkness...as you know, the whole dynamic changes once the darkness descends. You're more vulnerable when you're moving house with baggage, etc.[/quote]

The trials joys and tribulations hey?! I am here and over my dramatic episode! Off to explore Medellin over the next few days... I am so excited!

The trials joys and tribulations hey?! I am here and over my dramatic episode! Off to explore Medellin over the next few days... I am so excited!
    Take the Metro/MetroCable to Parque Arvi - nice chilled out day after your bus journey from hell!
    Guatape and El Penol well worth a day trip; Sante Fe might be worth a look too (although if you've seen one small pueblo...). Probably a better option to go to Jardin. I know it's going back the way but you get to recover a missed opportunity. It's an easy enough journey from MDE.
    A mate did the SB crossing two weeks ago, instead of 5 days took them 8! They ran out of food...!

Yes, that's the sort of horror story I have heard of. I really wanted to go this route initially but it's not worth it...IMO anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Spent 3 months in SA about 11 years ago before heading on to New Zealand and absolutely loved it. When you said "I never travel by a Lonely Planet instead go by other travellers advice. But only travellers I know I am similar to.

I avoid the irish party hostels like the PLAGUE." I agreed with 100%, while it is nice to bump into people from home every now and then I wouldn't go seeking them out and so many do, it baffles me.

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I spent 6 weeks in Argentina - Ushuaia was a real highlight. I loved Peru and Boliva-  unfortunately didn't get to Colombia - but hope to some day.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm going to PM you for your blog address if that is OK?[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So my question... how often would you treat yourself to the full cama? :)[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Safe travels - looking forward to the updates![/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Do you speak Spanish fluently?

I've been to Peru, Chile, Argentina and Bolivia and without the guides I would have been stuffed.
    Saying things is one aspect, understanding the reply is something else. I also felt I missed out on some great conversations with locals due to my lack of Spanish. Still deeply regret this years later :(

I've always felt very aware when out and about. Being a pale faced gringo does get you a lot of stares and looks. However, I've only had a few people hassling me to buy stuff or begging, so it has not been too bad.

I understand what you mean about Argentina. Never really liked it or the people.

Loved Bolivia, although in all my travels it is the only time I got food poisoning. Lying on a boat on Lake Titicaca puking and skittering was not the dream.

Who did you socialise at night with? I am a bit older than you and prefer to stay in hotels - meaning that I never got the whole hostel party crowd to interact with. My evenings were a mixture of dining alone and/or a walk along some of the main streets.

I loved some of the country towns in Peru and places like Potosi in Bolivia where I could sit in the plaza major in the evening and people watching. Never went to a pub or dance as I felt I would be too vunerable.

At times I felt that a companion to share the experiences with would have made good trips/experiences soo much better. Although the alternative would be sitting at home...

I've been to Cuba too, so if you have any questions, just ask ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What's your favourite type of cheese?

On your travels what is the most peculiar/weirdest type of cheese you've encountered?

Have you come across any really good cheesemongers and if so, what country has the most?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Thanks for the question :)

Visas have been fine on an Irish pasaport, I have gotten them all at the borders. The borders themselves can be a different tale tho haha.

Bolivia is the cheapest without a doubt, Argentina/Brazil and Ecuador the most expensive - on par to home. Colombia and Peru just sit in the middle somewhere.

I have met very few Irish, maybe 10 in total? Where as I am pretty sure Germany, France and Holland are empty of 20-35 year olds as they are all in Latin America!

Germans etc more money to splash I guess

Take the Metro/MetroCable to Parque Arvi - nice chilled out day after your bus journey from hell!
    Guatape and El Penol well worth a day trip; Sante Fe might be worth a look too (although if you've seen one small pueblo...). Probably a better option to go to Jardin. I know it's going back the way but you get to recover a missed opportunity. It's an easy enough journey from MDE.

Jardin will be done for sure - maybe as a way to recover from what looks to be a hectic saturday night in Medellin :)

Keedowah wrote: »
    Spent 3 months in SA about 11 years ago before heading on to New Zealand and absolutely loved it. When you said "I never travel by a Lonely Planet instead go by other travellers advice. But only travellers I know I am similar to.

I avoid the irish party hostels like the PLAGUE." I agreed with 100%, while it is nice to bump into people from home every now and then I wouldn't go seeking them out and so many do, it baffles me.

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I spent 6 weeks in Argentina - Ushuaia was a real highlight. I loved Peru and Boliva-  unfortunately didn't get to Colombia - but hope to some day.[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm going to PM you for your blog address if that is OK?[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So my question... how often would you treat yourself to the full cama? :)[/font]

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Safe travels - looking forward to the updates![/font]

I wouldn't mind putting the blog on here, will run it past Niamh but sure thing, PM and I'd be happy to share :)

I actually cama quite regularly, I know #flashpack! But the way I see it, night busses absolutely murder me, even Cama. So if there is any chance I can sleep I take it. I usually travel through the day lately, find it better on the ole body.

I didn't get to Patagonia - I am saving that and the entire Chile for another trip. I was just ill prepared and in July it was mostly unpassable. I've heard the most amazing stories tho - and the pictures are beautiful!

• Advertisement

Do you speak Spanish fluently?

I've been to Peru, Chile, Argentina and Bolivia and without the guides I would have been stuffed.
    Saying things is one aspect, understanding the reply is something else. I also felt I missed out on some great conversations with locals due to my lack of Spanish. Still deeply regret this years later :(

I've always felt very aware when out and about. Being a pale faced gringo does get you a lot of stares and looks. However, I've only had a few people hassling me to buy stuff or begging, so it has not been too bad.

I understand what you mean about Argentina. Never really liked it or the people.

Loved Bolivia, although in all my travels it is the only time I got food poisoning. Lying on a boat on Lake Titicaca puking and skittering was not the dream.

Who did you socialise at night with? I am a bit older than you and prefer to stay in hotels - meaning that I never got the whole hostel party crowd to interact with. My evenings were a mixture of dining alone and/or a walk along some of the main streets.

I loved some of the country towns in Peru and places like Potosi in Bolivia where I could sit in the plaza major in the evening and people watching. Never went to a pub or dance as I felt I would be too vunerable.

At times I felt that a companion to share the experiences with would have made good trips/experiences soo much better. Although the alternative would be sitting at home...

I've been to Cuba too, so if you have any questions, just ask ;)

Hi!
    Great post, thank you :)

My Spanish is fine now, thank god. I spent 3 weeks in an intensive course in Bolivia but didn't really use it again until Ecuador. Thats the thing with SA, you are always surrounded by English speaking travellers in hostels and the locals you meet always speak English to you if they can as they are so proud! But I found few who had English in Ecuador and here in Colombia I dated a local who had no Spanish so I had no choice but to learn, and fast!

I still only believe I have basics though and similar to you, feel I missed out on real connection many times. I should have taken more courses before coming here but I thought I'd be fine. It is a wonderful language though, I don't think I will ever stop learning it.

Today was a pretty bad day for the gringo-spotting. I had comments and catcalls for 3 hours before I almost ran back to my hostel. Some places worse than others, Bolivia I found the best for a single white female. The local men there were almost afraid to look at you (maybe cos I am bigger than most of them haha!!)

I am a bit of a nana traveller and usually in bed by 10ish, I love my sleep. I also have been lucky to make friends easy so if I find a good crew in a hostel that are heading out I will join in. I've not had many MASSIVE party nights, most of the best craic I've had have been in hostels.

Cuba may be scrapped this time - I am seriously low on days and moving way too slowly. BUT I will keep you in mind for when I do attack it, surely in the coming year or so :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement