Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

zell12 wrote: »
    30-50mm of rain due in the South in a day!
    Get the Ark out

fNhhWC7.jpg

*sigh* we will never have a dry spell! The garden is like a bog!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice afternoon here in Castlebar, good sunshine and good drying in a fresh north westerly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

*sigh* we will never have a dry spell! The garden is like a bog!

Funny how near the same time last year, we were saying will it ever rain again? :P

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103407943

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice afternoon here in Castlebar, good sunshine and good drying in a fresh north westerly wind.

Same here in West Clare, some nice heat in the sun too, despite the cool temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just seen the met.ie warnings. May reenter hibernation...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Overcast in Dublin after a wet start. The sun managed to appear a few times while I was in the Airport.

[LEVEL 1 Weather Alert - Be Aware] Rainfall warning Thurs 05 /Fri 06 April 2018

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057858862

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cold night in store and a warning issued by Met Eireann.

STATUS YELLOW

Low Temperature Warning for Ireland
    Tonight, temperatures will fall to -3 or -4 degrees in many areas.

Issued:Wednesday 04 April 2018 17:00
    Valid:Wednesday 04 April 2018 21:00 to Thursday 05 April 2018 09:00

ECU0-24_brf8.GIF

MvzMutP.png

nmm_uk1-41-18-4_jru7.png

Those are some pretty chilly uppers for the time of year up in the north. Some years we would get excited about seeing -6c uppers during winters..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I guess we are finding out who the true snow nuts are now.:D It seems me, blizzard7, pangea, nettle soup, artane2002 , wakka12, oops 69 are the only people who would welcome a mini beast in April. A lot of supposed snow lovers have gone over to the darkside- i love snow but...

Ah c'mon we dont all have to be purists or satan himself.
    There's a point when it would be so messy and shortlived that it's lovely and all, but the rollercoaster just starts making you ill.

Kind of like when too many easter eggs made you sick as a kid.

Speaking of which, when's summer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No heat in the sun here very little sun anyway wind would cut the face off ya.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Ah c'mon we dont all have to be purists or satan himself.
    There's a point when it would be so messy and shortlived that it's lovely and all, but the rollercoaster just starts making you ill.

Kind of like when too many easter eggs made you sick as a kid.

Speaking of which, when's summer?

Going by the analogues, summer is cancelled. ;)

For those who are new, the analogues are not to be relied upon, so I was joking (although they do actually look poor).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

It's remarkable how long it has stayed away. Some models are giong for a greenland high in fi. Hopefully it if verifies ,we then get a potent northerly blast.

What ye mean hopefully? Why on God’s earth would you be wanting that this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pad199207 wrote: »
    What ye mean hopefully? Why on God’s earth would you be wanting that this time of year?

Because i love snow. I would be happy if it snowed in July:p
    I don't see people complaining when we have unseasonably warm weather in November or December. Ye will have a window of four or five months for warm weather when the jet stream likely returns to normal in late April or May.

Because i love snow. I would be happy if it snowed in July:p
    I don't see people complainingg when we have unseasonably warm weather in November or December. Ye will have a window of four or five months for warm weather when the jet stream likely returns to normal in late April or May.

Trust me, I do. December 2015 was absolutely horrible. Statistically though, it remains one of the most fascinating months you can study or research about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Horrible mid-winter-like day in Maynooth today, cold, dark, wet and windy. I optimistically left the house without my winter jacket this morning and paid for it any time I was outdoors. Hints of average temperatures in a weeks time though still nothing warm any time soon :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Was just about to post the same.

I want the jet to our north at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mtx

Farmers are in absolute crisis mode, ground hasn't properly dried since July 2017. Now the cold Spring is delaying planting crops and growing grass. Dire times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

We all have different tastes!
    Personally rain,wet and cold and grey weather make me very happy, snow obviously too. I wake up to a lashing rainy grey morning and get a big boost of happiness and energy. Odd as it may be. Its like reverse SAD:P
    I was born in the right country anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

wakka12 wrote: »
    We all have different tastes!
    Personally rain,wet and cold and grey weather make me very happy, snow obviously too. I wake up to a lashing rainy grey morning and get a big boost of happiness and energy. Odd as it may be. Its like reverse SAD:P
    I was born in the right country anyway

Ah here jaysus I’m in the wrong forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We may all wish for certain weather models, but as seen on the news, there are thousands of farmers under a lot of mental stress over fields too wet to let cattle out, a lack of feed and mounting feed bills.
    So hope for the jet stream to move north and north of us and some fine weather with warm temperatures would be the best thing for this country and the mental health of farmers.
    They are the weather models we really need to be seeing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭White Clover

It's remarkable how long it has stayed away. Some models are giong for a greenland high in fi. Hopefully it if verifies ,we then get a potent northerly blast.

I find this mindset quite disturbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I find this mindset quite disturbing!

Get a grip, seriously. I'd never say that to someone who loves heatwaves or storms. We all have our weather preferences. I won't be guilt tripped for having mine.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

-5c atm at Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Mullingar finished -5.3. Grass temps down as low as -10 at several stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Hoping for some warmth soon, had to put socks on going to bed last night.

Last night was the coldest April night since 2013 when Mt Dillon recorded a minimum of -7.3c on April 6th that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In Edinburgh for the week. We had snow yesterday for the whole day. Cant get away from it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Mtx wrote: »
    Farmers are in absolute crisis mode, ground hasn't properly dried since July 2017. Now the cold Spring is delaying planting crops and growing grass. Dire times.

And now we have to import fodder from the UK. The consequences of poor weather have a direct baring on animal welfare and the production of foodstuffs. So be careful for what you wish for (Hope it snows until July)???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

OldRio wrote: »
    Mtx wrote: »

And now we have to import fodder from the UK. The consequences of poor weather have a direct baring on animal welfare and the production of foodstuffs. So be careful for what you wish for (Hope it snows until July)???

I'm pretty sure wishing or hoping has no effect on meteorological outcomes.

Advertisement