Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2018: General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

8.15pm, plenty of brightness left in the sky (The Mall ,Castlebar)29550786_2043010319049414_7781365_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeEk9oj4-p44xGYweMKNYgqOMjNYe5quetNQo6Eh_diCtWX4OVSo7YkMOEdaFUZOR9YLx4wrBlYvC_HovF4jK1VfXqBjLQoR02teSr8decj4OA&oh=a4465b522d3435b62d49f5474e173966&oe=5ABA9C86

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ah jaysus Syran not like we've never had it before! Never took you as one for sensationalizing!

I'm getting visions of April 2012 by looking at them which was an extremely disappointing month for us in the Costa del sunny southeast. Then look what happened after that..... a consistent southerly tracking jet stream bringing in plenty of rain and one of the worst Summers I have faced.

I'd hate to see charts like these appear again to this extreme of miserable, worst April days I have seen in my life so far:

archives-2012-4-25-12-0.png

archives-2012-4-29-12-0.png

Coming after April 2017 which was exceptionally dry for some, we're due it though.

I loathe cold and wet.

By the way, they still have the Dublin Airport March 2018 monthly rainfall total as the same without change (bar those extra rainfalls obviously we've had since we discussed it last time on here):

HdFnqtA.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭LoMismo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I loathe cold and wet.

In that case you’re in the wrong country bruv

• Advertisement

LoMismo wrote: »
    In that case you’re in the wrong country bruv

I don't hate it being wet (unless I'm in the mood for sun obviously) but I do not like that combination at all, at least be average or mild.

I don't hate it being wet (unless I'm in the mood for sun obviously) but I do not like that combination at all, at least be average or mild.

Well it seems to me our summers are wetter than our winters here in Dublin. It’s usually like bloody monsoon season and I get wet far more often cycling to and from work than I do in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I don't like wet weather. I despise all the disruption it causes here in Dublin and I don't like the idea of getting wet. Heavy rain can be pretty interesting sometimes though. I usually go on holidays every year in the Mediterranean and I enjoy the occasional thunderstorms there.

For some reason, I'm tolerating cloudy weather more than I used to. The past few days have been cloudy but I am pretty happy with it this way. I'm sure I'll get fed up of it soon.

Also, Thursday looks very cold for the time of year. Widespread maxima of 6c where it should be closer to 11 or 12c normally so that's a full 5c below average. 6c on its own is nothing special but it is something when the temperature should be in the low teens rather than the mid single figures.

I hate windy weather too. Today was nice and calm. We don't get enough of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild wind today and deluges.When wind and rain pause, I can hear the sea, about 100 yards away.. musica l weather..

The wind has had a bite to it. SNARL!

• Advertisement

HAIL STONES? Whatever next..

Every time I try to get ready to take the dog out..

But so erratic the weather.. Gusty and hail, then calm and a blue patch to the sky

I don't get how it's 4c in Dublin airport. It feels much warmer and pleasant here in Ballymun! I'm not doubting their reading btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Snow on the Connemara hills this morning. It looked considerable in the distance - started around 300m.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I don't get how it's 4c in Dublin airport. It feels much warmer and pleasant here in Ballymun! I'm not doubting their reading btw.

It was 4c at 10am. By the time you posted it had risen to 6c.

that wind is feckin' freezing in Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Graces7 wrote: »
    HAIL STONES? Whatever next..

Every time I try to get ready to take the dog out..

But so erratic the weather.. Gusty and hail, then calm and a blue patch to the sky

Typical March weather really.

And now, lightning in another hailshower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Nice to see a little more power in land based convection as the sun can fuel those showers as they move across the country. Had a brief hail/sleet/rain shower a few hours ago..another small shower incoming from the West now. Textbook March weather

I went into the city centre and it didn't feel pleasant at all, notable windchill. It was a bit cloudier there than in Ballymun too. In Santry now, there was a very brief, very light rain shower half an hour ago.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It was 4c at 10am. By the time you posted it had risen to 6c.
    It felt a lot warmer than 6c with the sunshine, closer to 10c. The airport tends to be colder than the areas to the south of it (eg Ballymun or Artane) so it was probably 7 or 8c at Ballymun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Artane2002 wrote: »
    It felt a lot warmer than 6c with the sunshine, closer to 10c. The airport tends to be colder than the areas to the south of it (eg Ballymun or Artane) so it was probably 7 or 8c at Ballymun.

Given your location, Phoenix Park is probably a better measure of what the temp is in Ballymun at any given time.

Either way, given that the sun is now getting higher in the sky, the 'feel' of temp may be different to what the temp actually is. Always keep in mind that the sun itself does not warm the air, but does warm objects and the ground which in turn heats the surrounding air. So an air temp of 4 or 5c will still feel very warm if the relatively high sun is hitting your skin, because the sun will warm your skin quicker than the surrounding air.

New Moon

You can now enter in the April 2018 boards forecast contest here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057856659

Just doing this post so people don't be posting late entries for it, hope the reminder helps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Was in Poland/Gdansk for a couple of days. Some light snow there this morning. Arrived back at lunchtime with a sleet shower in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You can now enter in the April 2018 boards forecast contest here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057856659

Just doing this post so people don't be posting late entries for it, hope the reminder helps.

Hadn't occurred to me in the slightest, so it's helped me at least!

The stratosphere continues to act very unusual. If this was like two months ago, we'd be talking about several more tropospheric responses from the atmosphere, following on from it already giving us two (beast from the east and son of the beast), mental! Remember though that we are coming very close to a time when the stratosphere is insignificant - but we're not there yet especially with these splits and warmings still going on.

This chart from the ECM 0z is for 50mb on Wednesday 4th April (50hPa, which is a lower layer of the stratosphere). First there is a split of the Polar Vortex from North America and Siberia then the vortex over Siberia splits again?? Like what!?

3Lhk0AJ.jpg

In simpler terms, this could mean a resurgence of the negative NAO come mid to late April which in general is not good for warm weather but never say never as there are always exceptions, May 2017 was a negative NAO month throughout for example. May tends to be a negative NAO month on average too.

In terms of 10hPa and 30hPa, both levels' temperatures have gone up! Surely this has to be the final warming of the season??????

Like I had said over a month ago in the prelude to the beast thread, I cannot emphasise the extraordinary nature of the stratosphere recently! If this all were to occur in November, we'd be talking the chances of a 1963 taking place.

YUcRS80.gif

omwsafm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Up in Donegal for a few days, we had a light dusting of snow this morning on cars and grass, the hills have been white all day from about 300-400 metres.

Ended up a nice enough day though we've had some heavy hail showers every once in a while, feels decidedly like November again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nice day here today, no showers, a bit chilly but plenty of sun to go with it so felt grand overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The low hills are white here after some of the showers this evening, more snow with these showers than we had with the 'Beast from the East'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The stratosphere continues to act very unusual. If this was like two months ago, we'd be talking about several more tropospheric responses from the atmosphere, following on from it already giving us two (beast from the east and son of the beast), mental! Remember though that we are coming very close to a time when the stratosphere is insignificant - but we're not there yet especially with these splits and warmings still going on.

This chart from the ECM 0z is for 50mb on Wednesday 4th April (50hPa, which is a lower layer of the stratosphere). First there is a split of the Polar Vortex from North America and Siberia then the vortex over Siberia splits again?? Like what!?

In simpler terms, this could mean a resurgence of the negative NAO come mid to late April which in general is not good for warm weather but never say never as there are always exceptions, May 2017 was a negative NAO month throughout for example. May tends to be a negative NAO month on average too.

In terms of 10hPa and 30hPa, both levels' temperatures have gone up! Surely this has to be the final warming of the season??????

Like I had said over a month ago in the prelude to the beast thread, I cannot emphasise the extraordinary nature of the stratosphere recently! If this all were to occur in November, we'd be talking the chances of a 1963 taking place.

It's most likely the final warming setting in.

• Advertisement

It's most likely the final warming setting in.

Hopefully it is. I want a break from stratosphere watching 'til November.

Advertisement