Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biological males in women's sport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Sharron, and especially Martina will not back down. A corner has been turned and the criticism they are receiving from the woke folk is being being drowned out by the 90+% support they are receiving on Twitter.

The radical TRAs only got away with all this for so long because no one was really paying attention (apart from those pesky feminists), and everyone just went along with it because it was the cause du jeur and it was cool to support it.

The obvious inequality in sports is just the first wheel to fall off the trans wagon. There are more serious issues starting to be discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Candamir wrote: »
    Daley Thompson also backing Navratilova and Davies on Twitter. Hopefully the beginning of people speaking sense on this. The more high profile athletes come out in support, the less afraid people will be to speak their mind. I can understand current athletes difficulty in speaking up as they are labelled ‘sore losers’ as well as transphobes, so it’s great to see the greats come out.

Can't google on this but I think it was the US swimmer who objected in 1976 to the obviously drugged up east Germany Olympic swim team and she got to be known worldwide as a sore loser called Surly Shirley.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

Zorya wrote: »
    Can't google on this but I think it was the US swimmer who objected in 1976 to the obviously drugged up east Germany Olympic swim team and she got to be known worldwide as a sore loser called Surly Shirley.

Shirley Babashoff. Took until the fall of the Berlin Wall and the secrets of the former east Germany to come out before she was believed and vindicated.
    Hopefully the current situation won’t take so longer to resolve.

https://www.velopress.com/shirley-babashoff-east-germans-stole-her-medals/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Another male cyclist winning competitions against women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Fuxake. It's like a pantomime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Nobody looks happy in that photo except the "winner"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,977 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Dante7 wrote: »
    Sharron, and especially Martina will not back down. A corner has been turned and the criticism they are receiving from the woke folk is being being drowned out by the 90+% support they are receiving on Twitter.

I think you are right when the Guardian are now siding against McKinnon and Co
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/03/sports-stars-weigh-in-on-row-over-transgender-athletes

With Navratilova, Holmes, Radcliffe, Davies and others on board that's a good portion of the BBC sports presenters/reporters as well.

Was just googling to find out about this^^ and came up with Molly Cameron - a trans women pro cyclist who competes - and wins - in the men’s competition.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20006598/molly-cameron-and-usa-cycling-confront-trans-awareness/

And transgender women have no advantage?? Yeah right.
    How many born female pro cyclists would win in professional men’s cyclocross?

Was just googling to find out about this^^ and came up with Molly Cameron - a trans women pro cyclist who competes - and wins - in the men’s competition.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a20006598/molly-cameron-and-usa-cycling-confront-trans-awareness/

And transgender women have no advantage?? Yeah right.
    How many born female pro cyclists would win in professional men’s cyclocross?

Typo there. Competes and wins in the women's competition

Typo there. Competes and wins in the women's competition

No, she competes in the men’s competition.

Pro cyclocross racer Molly Cameron has long identified as a woman, but has raced in the elite men's scene since 2008 after being harassed in the women’s peloton. Even so, she recently had issues registering for the 2016 USA Cycling Cyclocross Nationals in Asheville, North Carolina, thanks to a new USA Cycling rule that determines a racer's gender by what's listed on his or her driver's license (Molly's reads "female"). That's contrary to the US Olympic Committee's rule, which states that athletes must compete as the sex they were born with, unless they undergo sex reassignment surgery. Cameron’s popularity within the cyclocross community helped the story explode, and after a talk with USAC, she’s once again registered for the 40+ Masters Men’s race.

• Advertisement

Oh ok, I completely misconstrued that. It's easy to get confused!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I think you are right when the Guardian are now siding against McKinnon and Co
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/mar/03/sports-stars-weigh-in-on-row-over-transgender-athletes

With Navratilova, Holmes, Radcliffe, Davies and others on board that's a good portion of the BBC sports presenters/reporters as well.

The US guardian will fight back!

Oh ok, I completely misconstrued that. It's easy to get confused!

I know! She’s a MtF transgender, who, despite (in McKinnions opinion) having NO advantage over cis women, is able to compete with and win against biological men! I think this may be a first - women beating men in cycling!

I know! She’s a MtF transgender, who, despite (in McKinnions opinion) having NO advantage over cis women, is able to compete with and win against biological men! I think this may be a first - women beating men in cycling!

It's rabbit hole stuff. The obvious solution is XX and XY differentiation. They intersex people seem to be happy enough to be kept out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

It is absurd. Maybe create a trans sporting class, as it isn't fair for women athletes to have biological males competing against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

We just need to relabel the two categories of sport, formerly known as men's and women's : the Open Category, without any restriction on who can compete, and the Handicapped Category (which is pretty much what the women's events were anyway, only in simpler times when the whole gender crossing kick hadnt become fashionable), which is anyone not not born with a Y chromosome.
    Everybody is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

The current situation in Sports is crazy. If it's allowed to continue then women sports will be just dominated by Trans.

So either people start getting some cope on and realize that if your biologically born male or female your biology is not going to change depending on how you feel.

What are the solutions - 1. trans people can compete in their sports accordingly to if their biologically male or female. Another option is to get rid of gender classifications on sports altogether and instead create different divisions based on athletes abilities. Eg...if your capable of max of X...you compete in Division y.

What other solutions are there? Maybe there is more options?

If you have XX chromosomes you qualify to participate in the female only events. Everyone else competes in the male events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe it's time the female athletes who feel so strongly about it to boycott their sports if a trans athlete is competing.

Maybe it's time the female athletes who feel so strongly about it to boycott their sports if a trans athlete is competing.

Ideally yes, but that's unlikely to happen in the current climate. When Martina Navratilova gets called a transphobe and a bigot, what would happen to a young female athlete if she spoke up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

They will be excoriated if they do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

why the **** should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

why the **** should they?

Women should be neither be seen or heard.

The modern progressive left are something to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

El CabaIIo wrote: »

The only "argument" the other side have is to try and shame women who speak out into submission by calling them bigots and big fat meanies. If that fails they resort to threats of violence (although in this case I think they know the world is watching and they won't get away with that). It's juvenile. I'm glad Martina is standing her ground and is doing so with logic and reason and, most importantly of all, scientific facts.

Sharron Davies is not backing down. She has taken all the crap that the TRAs have thrown at her and she is continuing on. Fair play Sharron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

pretty sure that's hate speech /s

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You can identify as another gender without taking hormones. McKinnon would know this, since "she" feels like hormones are not a requirement for MtF transgender athletes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

pretty sure that's hate speech /s

Sure fair play to your man. He's better at being a woman than the actual women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

Sure fair play to your man. He's better at being a woman than the actual women.

The best women nowadays are men.

Advertisement