Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heaslip Retiring / Appreciation Thread [MOD WARNING: POST 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

95 caps. It's a pity he didn't make 100.

100 caps including the Lions. We'll give it to him

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Got the 100 test caps, just not all for Ireland.
    100 caps including the Lions. We'll give it to him

Aye, we'll give it to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Such a shame. The last year must have been so tough for him and the final decision to call it quits is gutting. My abiding memory of him is his ability to gather the ball and make ground during the days of the famous Leinster reversing scrum. So many times he saved Leinster being penalised by his control when going backwards. I'm sure he wouldn't want to remember those days, but it was a skill that very few number eights would even have to learn. :)

He still gets membership of the 100 cap club due to his Lions appearances, so he does have that, even if he didn't make the 100 with Ireland.

Fantastic player. He got so much stick from 'fans', but the difference in the few times when he was missing was stark. People would say he wasn't missed until he was back and then you could see it clearly. Great great player and an awful way to end his career. Reminiscent of how POC's career ended. At least he has plenty to keep him busy in his retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's a full year since the injury though. So in reality he finished at 33.

Im sure he was hoping to go after the WC, so he's lost the final 30 months of his career.

Yeah, true enough.
    I guess though, given that he was apparently close to a return, that maybe fitness wise he's there, but the top % of stuff is missing and that's where the decision came from.

There's also that question of whether he'd come back at the required level to a) knock Conan out of the 8 jersey for Leinster and b) get back into the Irish shirt.

I guess the not knowing might be something he battles with in the immediate term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Absolutely gutted.

A genuine legend of the game and one of the best players Ireland have ever produced.

100 test caps, two Lions tours, two World Cups, three Six Nations championships incl 1 Grand Slam, three Heineken Cup medals, one Challenge Cup medal, three Pro12/14 medals.

RWC 2019 would have been a good way to cap it all off but not to be.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,538 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Absolutely gutted.

A genuine legend of the game and one of the best players Ireland have ever produced.

100 test caps, two Lions tours, two World Cups, three Six Nations championships incl 1 Grand Slam, three Heineken Cup medals, one Challenge Cup medal, three Pro12/14 medals.

RWC 2019 would have been a good way to cap it all off but not to be.

Anyone else find it mad he only has three pro12 medals?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Some lack of class shown in Kimmage's tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Heaslip was every bit as important to Ireland's successes as BoD and PoC were. He'll be remembered as one of the all time greats.

• Administrators Posts: 53,538 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just to think that he was actually named in the team to play England and withdrew late in the warmup and that was his last ever involvement on a rugby field. A slightly bizarre tale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,291 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Do you have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

irishfan9 wrote: »

Anyone surprised???

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stop bringing attention to K*mmage. Don't mention him. Don't post any links. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

awec wrote: »
    Anyone else find it mad he only has three pro12 medals?

Yeah he probably has about 4 runners up medals from it. Ospreys knicked a few in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Very good player but I thought massively over rated. Excellent in the early part of his career but the latter few years he was nowhere near being a top player in my opinion. Not the same force as a ball carrier as he once was.

A decent lad though by all accounts and a shame he had to retire the way he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,900 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rackard wrote: »
    Very good player but I thought massively over rated. Excellent in the early part of his career but the latter few years he was nowhere near being a top player in my opinion. Not the same force as a ball carrier as he once was.

A decent lad though by all accounts and a shame he had to retire the way he did.

:rolleyes:

He was nominated for World Player of the Year in 2016, his last season as a pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Jamie and Luke lost to injury, two great players for Ireland and Leinster. Such a pity but I think will become a more regular occurrence with the current game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Stop bringing attention to K*mmage. Don't mention him. Don't post any links. Please.
    Not necessary anyway since he's deleted it. :D

Clegg wrote: »

He was nominated for World Player of the Year in 2016, his last season as a pro.

Which was a huge surprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not necessary anyway since he's deleted it. :D

Apologies Thomond...but what did the tweet say?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

To be honest I suspect this is the source of his back injury.

Hate to see a player go out through injury. Especially one who proved to be as durable as Jamie.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Clegg wrote: »

Which was a huge surprise

No it wasn't. Even in his last season he was still our best back-row. He tackled more than anyone else and there was centimetres per carry between him and Stander. His work rate was out of this world and nobody could get past him.

Imagine a thread about him being forced to retire and still beating him with a stick because they didn't like him. That's all it is at the end of the day.

He was one of the greatest players to don the jersey in my opinion. What a warrior and we'll never see an 8 like him again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt commented: "Jamie was an intelligent and incredibly robust player. The string of trophies he contributed to is lengthy, including three European Cups, three Six Nations, including the 2009 Grand Slam, and a couple of PRO12 trophies thrown in for good measure.

"There are so many moments that spring to mind, whether it be his superb second half against Northampton in the 2011 Heineken Cup final or his clever line and tireless work ethic that combined to see him score the international Try of the Year two years ago, or his crucial try-saving tackle on Stuart Hogg on 'Super Saturday', to help tip the balance in retaining the Six Nations trophy. Utterly professional, driven to succeed and a leader with the actions he delivered."

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

As an ulster fan I think the highest praise I can give him is to say I always thought he was a hateful c**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Giant of a man for Ireland. Hope he has good luck with the future

Faugheen wrote: »
    No it wasn't. Even in his last season he was still our best back-row. He tackled more than anyone else and there was centimetres per carry between him and Stander. His work rate was out of this world and nobody could get past him.

Imagine a thread about him being forced to retire and still beating him with a stick because they didn't like him. That's all it is at the end of the day.

He was one of the greatest players to don the jersey in my opinion. What a warrior and we'll never see an 8 like him again.

Yeah - I'm beating him with a stick :rolleyes:
    Said already he was excellent player but over rated, in my opinion, in the last few years.

One of the main things that highlights this is - he hasn't been missed whatsoever for Leinster or Ireland (or the Lions) since he was out.

Maybe it's because with mileage on the clock, he slowed down obviously and wasn't the force he once was, which is natural enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Yeah - I'm beating him with a stick :rolleyes:
    Said already he was excellent player but over rated, in my opinion, in the last few years.

One of the main things that highlights this is - he hasn't been missed whatsoever for Leinster or Ireland (or the Lions) since he was out.

Maybe it's because with mileage on the clock, he slowed down obviously and wasn't the force he once was, which is natural enough.

I'm sure he will be gutted to know you feel that way, and that you think he didnt deserve the world player of the year nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He was a player ahead of his time, and he must be jointly the most decorated in the history of the Irish game?

Leinster

Heineken Cup (3): 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12
    Pro12 (3): 2007–08, 2012–13, 2013–14
    European Challenge Cup (1): 2012–13

Ireland

Six Nations Championship (3): 2009, 2014, 2015
    Triple Crown (2): 2007 & 2009
    Grand Slam (1): 2009

British and Irish Lions tours (2): 2009, 2013,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He was massively missed by Leinster in the closing stages of last season. His absence was arguably the difference between winning and losing the Pro12 and he was a huge loss in the first 40 minutes in Clermont for his workrate and experience.

And there has been significant criticism of Ireland's play up front being one dimensional during this 6N which is an area he excelled at by varying the point of attack as a distributor and moving the point of attack in close quarters.

The Lions had a world class No. 8 available. I doubt Heaslip would have been in the 23 due to Faletau simply being a better player at this point so no arguments there.

To think that he hasn't been missed whatsoever though is miles off.

Advertisement