Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why cycle lanes will never work in Ireland

Options
  • 21-02-2018 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Why should Ireland invest in cycle lanes when no cars actually observe it. Complete indifference by motorists towards cycle infrastructure means its just too dangerous to cycle in Ireland, particularly for young people. Outside Colaiste Choilm, Ballincollig this morning. The Guards really need to clamp down on this or else it wont change!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Why should Ireland invest in cycle lanes when no cars actually observe it. Complete indifference by motorists towards cycle infrastructure means its just too dangerous to cycle in Ireland, particularly for young people. Outside Colaiste Choilm, Ballincollig this morning. The Guards really need to clamp down on this or else it wont change!

I guess in those situations you just gotta take the lane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

The bus also goes straight through the amber light instead of stopping. Everyone's at fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Its the Irish way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

VW 1 wrote: »
    The bus also goes straight through the amber light instead of stopping. Everyone's at fault!

To be fair to the bus driver, the road layout at those lights is crappy - even if the bus could have stopped safely before the lights, it would have been blocking up the yellow box which is simply trading one violation for another. When the driver entered said box the light was green, so proceeding through the lights (in particular as I'm not sure stopping would have been feasible without fairly harsh braking) was IMHO the preferable option there. Were it a car I'd be less forgiving, as they could in theory sit in the end of the box without necessarily being an obstruction depending on the layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't really see the point of this thread. The same thing could be said about almost every other aspect of road traffic regulations. Personally I prefer to see the Gardai concentrate their limited resources on close passes, mobile phone use, excessive speed, red/amber light breaking etc.

While parking on a cycle track may be inconvenient or annoying, I don't generally find it to be dangerous for me and I'd just accept that it's going to happen outside a school and take appropriate action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I don't know WA I think we need more daily threads on how cycling is so terribly dangerous.

It's really helpful for spreading an atmosphere of anxiety and distrust on the roads...wait

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Complete indifference by motorists towards cycle infrastructure means its just too dangerous to cycle in Ireland, particularly for young people.
    Just stop with this crap, please.

If there's a car in a cycle lane, look, indicate, move out around it.

If you're incapable of doing that, then yes, cycling is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

To be fair, it's not just cycling infrastructure that's abused in school zones. If you were to go by the pick-up/drop-off hours at many schools, you might well start a thread 'why roads will never work in Ireland'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mumble mumble perceived danger versus actual danger mumble deterrent for nervous cyclists to start cycling mumble needlessly provocative thread title mumble deja vu mumble i can't even but i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was thinking that but there's poor placement of the yellow box. The light was green before the bus passed into it and if it was to stop it would block the yellow box, so either way it would commit an offence of some sort.

The school really needs to try sort that out, if it doesn't work, get the gardai involved.

edit: I see Cython has already posted similar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

buffalo wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not just cycling infrastructure that's abused in school zones. If you were to go by the pick-up/drop-off hours at many schools, you might well start a thread 'why roads will never work in Ireland'.

I made the mistake of driving past a school at closing time a couple of weeks ago. All spots left and right of the road were taken so the car in front of me decides to just stop in the middle of the road, turn off his engine, get out and walk away while ignoring me and the 4 cars behind me beeping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Lumen wrote: »

I think you're incorrectly assuming that all cyclists are adults and are capable and confident enough to mix it with motor vehicles on a road.

If we were to make your requirements for cycling mandatory we'd probably be excluding everyone under the age of 12 from cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

matrim wrote: »
    I made the mistake of driving past a school at closing time a couple of weeks ago. All spots left and right of the road were taken so the car in front of me decides to just stop in the middle of the road, turn off his engine, get out and walk away while ignoring me and the 4 cars behind me beeping him.

Sounds like my kids school, and the gardai did get involved, but didn't do a whole lot. There's a footpath only on one side of the road and parents park fully on it, all 4 wheels. So where do the kids walk? Either in the mud at this time of the year, or on the road. Then the ones that arrive late will literally stop on the road and wait until there's space in the drop off area holding up traffic behind.

No self awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hurrache wrote: »

No self awareness.

I disagree..there's plenty of SELF awareness! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

While parking on a cycle track may be inconvenient or annoying

I don't really get why this is such a problem for cyclists to be honest. If I'm driving and I come up to a car parked on the road I just slow down, indicate, wait for a safe time to overtake and then go on about my day. Whats the difference for something parked in a cycle lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't really get why this is such a problem for cyclists to be honest. If I'm driving and I come up to a car parked on the road I just slow down, indicate, wait for a safe time to overtake and then go on about my day. Whats the difference for something parked in a cycle lane?
    Well apart from being another illegal road traffic offence that never gets enforced, it happens in grade separated cycle lanes too, so you have to negotiate a kerb, twice.

It's pure ignorance more than anything, but given the amount of cars parked on footpaths and ignored, often forcing buggys and wheelchair users onto the road, we can hardly expect cycle lanes to be respected. Can't possibly affect other car drivers, when vulnerable road users can be (at best) inconvenienced, quite often for a 20m further walk to the shop!

:confused:

That's the point I was making - it's no big deal for me.

(As has been pointed out, it may be for children).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's quite dangerous for younger and elderly cyclists to be fair. Many cyclists are fit and able and well able to deal with a parked car in a cycle lane, but we should be allowing for the young, elderly and less experienced. It is reasonable to expect that there is safe infrastructure for cyclists, given the massive benefits to society of cycling, so parking in cycling lanes shouldn't be condoned or shrugged off just because you can deal with it.

Moflojo wrote: »
    I think you're incorrectly assuming that all cyclists are adults and are capable and confident enough to mix it with motor vehicles on a road.....
    Given that 99% of roads don't have cycle tracks, I don't see your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is the point not that the vehicle is ignoring the effective clearway in the first place?

Cycle lanes are not free parking...by parking in them, motorists create an avoidable hazard. Yes, it can be navigate safely, but that’s not the solution...The vehicle should park somewhere that does not create a hazard...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i'd be more concerned by the car which pulled out in front of the bus assuming that an indicator was a right of way!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

i'd be more concerned by the car which pulled out in front of the bus assuming that an indicator was a right of way!

I'm just surprised they even indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I disagree..there's plenty of SELF awareness! ;)

Plenty of Self and not enough Awareness

thats the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

The problem as has been pointed out is that you are not allowed to park in a cycle lane.

Now this of issues:
      The driver is either ignorant of the Rules of the road and as such possibly doesn't know other aspects of the rules of the Road and are likely to be driving by what they "perceived" to be right rather than the actual rules. This is dangers as over time your perception will chang
    1. The driver is knowingly breaking the rules as they deem it to be nonsense, and will likely knowingly break other rules (speeding for example), making them even more dangerous

In the end up we have a country full of people who don't follow the rules.

The rules are there to protect everyone, not just the few, and if they are follow we will have less people killed on our roads........its that simple.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Easy for an adult, not so easy for a 40kg school pupil to take the lane in heavy traffic like that. Disgraceful behaviour from those motorists
    How does the mass of the child affect their ability to change road position?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Is the point not that the vehicle is ignoring the effective clearway in the first place?

Cycle lanes are not free parking...by parking in them, motorists create an avoidable hazard. Yes, it can be navigate safely, but that’s not the solution...The vehicle should park somewhere that does not create a hazard...
    Whilst I agree that the parking is inconsiderate, if it can be navigated safely then there is no risk.

Cycle lanes do not improve safety, so their absence does not make the road less safe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cycle lanes do not improve safety, so their absence does not make the road less safe.
    if they create an improved *perception* of safety, that drives cyclist numbers - well, there's an argument to be made that they will improve safety in that manner.

just because a cyclist can navigate around a car doesn't mean that it's a neutral manoeuvre to have to make. if it's putting off nervous cyclists when they see that cycling infrastructure is not policed, and regularly can't be used by bikes, that is a genuine problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Technically you are allowed park in a non-mandatory lane for a short period, that's my recollection at least.

This is a chronic problem. I used to take the bus from Parnell square Northbound opposite and down a bit from the Garden of remembrance. From about 8:45 on parents would park and wait at the bustops for the school to open, preventing buses from pulling in and sometimes causing tailbacks of 20 or more buses all the way back beyond Dorset st. Often there would be parking across the road near the Gate theatre. it was the same dozen or so drivers every morning, completely oblivious or apathetic towards the fact that they were delaying hundreds of people for their own convenience. The school could do nothing, the guards didnt care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Because most motorists won't let a cyclist merge in. 'Their' lane is clear so they can continue to potter along. How many would stop and let a cyclist stopped behind an illegally parked car indicating to merge out? Or does a cyclist A) walk around the car on the footpath and remount past obstruction, B) wait behind the parked car until the driver returns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Grassey wrote: »
    Because most motorists won't let a cyclist merge in. 'Their' lane is clear so they can continue to potter along. How many would stop and let a cyclist stopped behind an illegally parked car indicating to merge out? Or does a cyclist A) walk around the car on the footpath and remount past obstruction, B) wait behind the parked car until the driver returns?

I really don't know what you are getting at here, surely all the cyclist does is the same thing every vehicle does approaching an obstruction? Namely, they see an obstruction ahead, they slow down, indicate, and overtake the obstruction when it is safe to do so?

Respectfully, this exact scenario already happens every day so its not really a question of what the cyclist should do, more a question of why there is so much chagrin over cyclists having to pass obstacles when it is something that all road users have to do.

Advertisement