Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Hours in Police Custody - Channel 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

Tonight’s episode - Two Wrongs (with spoilers)

Watched tonight’s episode and truly astounded. Two scrots around the Luton area attempt to rob a house and caught on CCTV with crowbars etc. The lads runaway and escape on motorbike and the owner gives chase in a Mercedes SUV. Shortly after an accident occurs on a bad bend and the SUV hits by accident the back of the motorbike shunting it into a stationary car. The lads are badly injured with multiple breaks and the rider has a life threatening bleed to the brain. Anyway the owner arrested for GBH and over a number of months has to spend 1000’s on a barrister. Meanwhile 8 weeks later the two lads rearrested in a stolen vehicle and charged with intent to steal and give a no comment interview to this charge and the earlier accident and both still in pretty rough shape.

Many months later the victim end up going to court along with the two lads, and they plead guilty to the burglary and get 200 hours community service. The victim gets 2 years and 2 months in prison. Before trial the victims partner had to terminate her pregnancy with risk of him going to jail, and after sentencing cannot afford to live in the house and moves from the area out of safety concerns.

Like what has the world come to, truly astounding piece of TV and flabbergasted that two louts with records the length of your arm get off scout free from the judicial system and the law comes down heavily on the victim. What a screwed up and scary situation or maybe missing something by me.

What was your view of the program or the current law which pretty much reflective of everywhere now?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

I was flabbergasted. I felt so sorry for the victim. He did not intend on harming the two lads, he was just so annoyed with them breaking into his house and taking his stuff that he had worked hard for. I can't believe he went to jail. His family were the victims.

The two lads were back out robbing people again, shortly after that incident and all they got was 200 hours that they probably did not serve is just beyond belief.

There are just no words.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Couldn’t believe the outcome. Those two scumbags basically got away scot free even though they had multiple priors and as soon as they were recovered enough were out stealing cars again.

Two years for a lad who was just protecting his property and family. Sure he made a mistake, but anyone could have reacted the way he did. A decent hard working chap. None of that “no comment” nonsense from him.

Hope those two scrots fall foul of the law again and get locked up for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

Correction in that the victim electrician Adam White received a 22 month sentence. Anyway the two scrotes have since submitted a personal injury claim from the driver and insurance company for over £1million.

Makes the blood boil and the Criminal Justice system completely broken.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11470051/amp/Criminals-broke-home-fled-stolen-motorbike-SUE-father-chased-them.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I just can't understand why he chased them

Shame they didn't have worse injuries that would have put a stop to their criminal life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Watched it tonight and called it perfectly unfortunately. Long sentence for the hard working member of society and absolutely nothing for 2 out and out rats.

Quite similar to our own "justice" system. Ridiculous.

Just watched it now, sickening result, I thought those sentences only occurred here, absolutely no deterrent, it really makes you wonder why bother working, the alternative seems more lucrative, the result was more life changing for the victim imo, has to move house on top of being jailed.

Thought the most sickening thing was they terminated the pregnancy - that could not have been a very easy decision for a very young couple so obviously in love - all because of 2 little scrotes who should have been aborted

I hope they challenge the sentence with a better solicitor but seems they spent all their money on the initial defence

And like you I thought that was more a thing here than the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Be right back

Maddening, the poor dears couldn't serve time due to their injuries. If the father to be had spent time at home with his kids, rather than trying to break in houses. Pure scum. Totally unjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched it tonight, crazy outcome, I think his legal team was poor, there would be so many 'creative' reasons a defence could have played in this case, a fear of his home being attacked after the history of crime in the area, a design flaw in manouvering the super heavy SUV when he was driving it at night full of adrenaline, he may have saw a rare species of cat that he had to swerve to avoid causing him to clip the stolen bike, a question over whether the stolen bike not having lights on etc etc.

The victim is supposed to have spent over £50k defending himself, I'd assume the scummers got free legal aid and not for the first time, along with state provided home and benefits. Poor victim and his wife destroyed for life.

• Advertisement

There is a GoFundMe for him - over 50k so far, think it has hit a nerve with people

Fundraiser by Scott Tulloch : Give Adam White justice (gofundme.com)

One other thing I just remembered is the judge didn't give them custodial sentences due to their injuriesn and life being hard in prison but they were out and about committing crimes a week after leaving hospital - well f*ck me

Hope he gets a retrial and the CPS (?) relook at the sentencing for the 2 of them - and remember he was targetted for the bike ad, not some opportunistic crime

I was just going to post the same. Hopefully it will help them out in the future.

It gets worse... They really are scum.

Served 7 months then out on probation with tag - ridiculous, at least he didnt serve the full sentence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The GoFundMe heading for 125k should be a loud wake up call to their local politicians.

We have the same nonsense here, where law abiding normal people have been too polite for years about the repeat offender brigade.

Arranging accommodation/transport/free courses/medical care for the families of people who daily spit in the face of the eejits who go out to work and pay for it all? We need our heads read.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another top notch episode.

That poor man and his other half, who was being burgled you can tell the stress of it all has really badly affected him he has aged something shocking. A heartbreaking decision about their future, spending their hard earned savings on a barrister and as a result 22 months in prison ffs! How could someone sit on there jury and convict him?!

Predictable performance from the two scumbags, "no comment", "memory loss". Then they are both caught 4 weeks later...driving on false plates, no insurance. "I shouldn't even be here I've got a brain injury"..f#ck off...it isn't a get out of jail free card you POC..but then again it was!

Both a list of previous convictions as long as your arms...very little risk of punishment...so on they go doing same things. They should both be locked up permanently I don't care about the cost, it will be worth every penny, it will likely save countless people trauma in the future, stop wasting police time, money etc.

Suspended sentences all round that will teach them.

Of course they are...absolute lowlifes...it isn't as if they will have to pay for legal fees

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A tough watch. I had a sense of doom from the start, then about half-way through I began to get optimistic, and then the hammer blow of the court outcome at the end.

@gmisk I wouldn't necessarily blame the jury without knowing what evidence was actually presented (which may not bear much resemblance in either content or 'flow' to what we saw in the programme). And the judges summing up can be very influential as well. The judge may say 'ABC are needed for a guilty verdict, personal opinion doesn't matter just whether ABC has been met' and it becomes quite difficult for the jury to act against the judge who has asked them to decide purely based on the actual law.

One thing I took from it, sadly, is that 'saying nuffink' remains the best policy if there is any chance you may have committed a crime. The police at one stage commended Adam for how candid and honest he'd been but ultimately this worked against him, especially his comments at the scene. It recalled for me a Ted Talk with a (USA) lawyer who outlined how there is nothing to gain and everything to lose from saying anything before you are legally represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just watched it, and the one thing I learnt, never speak to the police...NEVER... absolute disgrace, I'm actually furious watching it

• Advertisement

The one this week was a tough watch....Kye Dell a dangerous grooming paedophile...scumbag

What a sick so and so - absolutely no sympathy for him

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see there's a new episode Monday 20th running over 2 nights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Amazing to see the actual footage from CCTV and bodycams etc.. Fantastic series.

Looking forward to see what the story is with little miss innocent the college undergraduate and how she got caught up in it.

If I was a copper those 'no comment' interviews would make me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The footage of the victim collapsing as he tried to get out the door was a tough watch. Literally watching a man take his last breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

tough watching last night alright, I hope they all go down equally as all equally guilty, they do this in the US any one with a connection to a felony like murder goes down as much as the actual person who took the life, i've a feeling the young student will roll over and get a reduced sentence but the whats app voice notes really show their true colours

That was some episode, so many twists

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Really looking forward to the second episode at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Really goos two-parter.

Recreating the CCTV footage with the 1300 pound jacket was kinda funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The police did a fantastic job of find the two guys.

Advertisement