Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIE Unions Pathological Strike Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

2017 people still being paid in cash. 2 years later still no 10 minute darts, driving to Greystones. Shall I continue?

what has driving to greystones got to do with unions?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Are there extra buttons? Does the driver have to shake all the extra passengers hands?

Longer trains= more passengers, more passengers= extra responsibility as the driver is responsible for the safety of their passengers. Longer trains also means a greater stopping distance and greater risk of overshooting the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Longer trains= more passengers, more passengers= extra responsibility as the driver is responsible for the safety of their passengers.

Passenger numbers have increased since the recession. More passengers = extra responsibility.

Why was this not an issue for unions?

The company i work for won a few extra contracts this year. It meant more responsibility for all of us. You know what we did? Celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Longer trains= more passengers, more passengers= extra responsibility as the driver is responsible for the safety of their passengers. Longer trains also means a greater stopping distance and greater risk of overshooting the platform.

Rubbish

Stopping distance of an 8 coach DART is the same as a 2 coach, indeed under poor conditions the 8 coach will stop in a shorter distance

There is no additional skill or effort required. WRC/LRC/LC agreed and told the DART drivers they had no claim.

Same thing goes for 26, 27, 28, 29 and 22 fleets. The Dublin Belfast and Dublin Cork are fixed length so braking characteristics are fixed

Back in the days of the Cravens, Mk2 and Mk3 fleet there was a need for a high degree of skill with braking but now in the land of EP brakes and WSP its all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

surely the responsibility to not crash is the same regardless of the number of passengers on board? I mean how much more careful are they with 100 passengers than they are with 50?

Longer trains? suuuuuure their highly skilled operators remember;)

• Advertisement

Passenger numbers have increased since the recession. More passengers = extra responsibility.

why not pop them an email and ask? or ask them via their twitter/facebook if availible.
    The company i work for won a few extra contracts this year. It meant more responsibility for all of us. You know what we did? Celebrated.

so what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Complete tosh the driver's job is to drive the DART be that 4,6 or 8 carriage units it's fundamentally the same job. Do drivers get paid more for driving in the rain greater stopping distance...

I assume when the 4 carriage sets were introduced they returned the increase, less responsibility and all that

Complete tosh the driver's job is to drive the DART be that 4,6 or 8 carriage units it's fundamentally the same job. Do drivers get paid more for driving in the rain greater stopping distance...

I assume when the 4 carriage sets were introduced they returned the increase, less responsibility and all that

why would they. saves them looking for the increase back when the 8 cars would come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

2017 people still being paid in cash. 2 years later still no 10 minute darts, driving to Greystones. Shall I continue?

Only continue if you want to go past greystones.

what has driving to greystones got to do with unions?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/dart-threat-averted-as-drivers-training-deferred-1.224168
    When talks broke down on Friday the unions had told Iarnrod Eireann that drivers would probably settle for the £8,000-a-head Labour Court award to allow new trainees on the DART provided it was made on a tax-free basis. Alternatively, the drivers might accept £11,000 if some of the lump sum was tax-free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You DO know that there will be no 10m service to Greystones anytime because of a certain single line track between there and Bray and its a good 10m+ to traverse that section. Best they can do is one every 30m.

why would they. saves them looking for the increase back when the 8 cars would come back.

Classic one way streetism

That article is from 1999.....

Seriously thats irish punts in it. Talk about necro article......

Infini wrote: »
    You DO know that there will be no 10m service to Greystones anytime because of a certain single line track between there and Bray and its a good 10m+ to traverse that section. Best they can do is one every 30m.

What's that got to do with anything. It's like you're answering a different post?

That article is from 1999.....

Seriously thats irish punts in it. Talk about necro article......

Doesn't make it any less true. Your defense of anything you don't like seems to be to just dismiss it out of hand.

Doesn't make it any less true. Your defense of anything you don't like seems to be to just dismiss it out of hand.

it does make it untrue however as that article was from 19 years ago and whatever dispute is going on now isn't relevant to back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

So you are annoyed that IE are happy in their jobs and intend to retire in their current positions.

I can see no reason for their lack of ambition to annoy me. What does annoy me off however is that they want me to work harder and longer to pay for their lack of ambition.

If I want more money I have to go earn it. I don’t see why the public sector should be any different. At least then we might get something close to value for money.

Right now it’s a complete farce..

Swanner wrote: »
    I can see no reason for their lack of ambition to annoy me. What does annoy me off however is that they want me to work harder and longer to pay for their lack of ambition.

If I want more money I have to go earn it. I don’t see why the public sector should be any different. At least then we might get something close to value for money.

Right now it’s a complete farce..

what lack of ambition. sometimes people like their chosen profession and decide to stay in it. it's not people's job to change jobs for the craic or just to suit you.
    you aren't being asked to work harder or longer for them. the public sector have to go and earn more money if they want it as well, the unions simply help get them the best deal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are responsible for more people but their job doesn't change. Drive train. Stop train. Open doors. Close doors. Rinse and repeat.
    As for the longer trains, is there an additional skill required that isn't taught during driver training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

In a previous job I had to be in a union, for all the good it did. The union negotiated pay rise I got at some point during that was tiny, their yearly membership fee increase that year was 3 times the size! Some benefit
    :
    Bollóx!
    The largest ever rise in union dues i have ever had was .50c a week.
    so a 39 hour work week , you expect us to believe the union got you a fraction of a penny per hour for a pay rise?
    I would wager after your statement you have never had a job never mind been a member of a union.
    If you are going to spout anti union BS at least try make it believable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭bebeman

Train capacity has not changed has it?
    Driver take responsibility for a train at full capacity, now add extra carriages you now have extra people and extra...............

bebeman wrote: »
    Train capacity has not changed has it?
    Driver take responsibility for a train at full capacity, now add extra carriages you now have extra people and extra...............
    Can you elaborate on how exactly the drivers job changes here?
    Either way they're not to kill their passengers so should the numbers make much of a difference?
    They aren't physically pulling the train so what extra effort is required by the driver for the train to pull an extra carriage or two?

What's that got to do with anything. It's like you're answering a different post?

You complain about no 10minute Darts then point out your driving to Greystones. I'm just pointing out the fact that there's no real chance of a 10m Service to Greystones because of that single line track bottleneck! :)

Trying to use an article from nearly 20 years ago to make a point over whats happening today DOES make one tend to dismiss it due to AGE and lack of understanding of the CURRENT circumstances atm.
    kbannon wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on how exactly the drivers job changes here?
    Either way they're not to kill their passengers so should the numbers make much of a difference?
    They aren't physically pulling the train so what extra effort is required by the driver for the train to pull an extra carriage or two?

What I would probably tend to point out is that unlike the past there's a tendancy to use litigation rather excessively for even simple things these days (eg: I slipped on a chip I want money!). To be fair I the primary reason anyone will avoid taking on anything extra these days is not because of lazyness but out of caution of being blindsided into being held responsible for things they werent aware of being responsible for. It would be the feeling that management would try and throw someone "under the train" to paraphrase to save their own hides and the only way of not getting hit that way is to avoid agreeing to anything in the firstplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

kbannon wrote: »
    They are responsible for more people but their job doesn't change. Drive train. Stop train. Open doors. Close doors. Rinse and repeat.
    As for the longer trains, is there an additional skill required that isn't taught during driver training?

A natural aptitude to be able to safely stop a hundred tonnes of metal crashing through the station buffers would be an advantage.

You complain about no 10minute Darts then point out your driving to Greystones. I'm just pointing out the fact that there's no real chance of a 10m Service to Greystones because of that single line track bottleneck! :)
    Are you deliberately not seeing their comma!
    What I would probably tend to point out is that unlike the past there's a tendancy to use litigation rather excessively for even simple things these days (eg: I slipped on a chip I want money!). To be fair I the primary reason anyone will avoid taking on anything extra these days is not because of lazyness but out of caution of being blindsided into being held responsible for things they werent aware of being responsible for. It would be the feeling that management would try and throw someone "under the train" to paraphrase to save their own hides and the only way of not getting hit that way is to avoid agreeing to anything in the firstplace.
    Litigation can occur with one or a million passengers. Surely the driver should not be making mistakes that could injure any of their passengers?
    Are drivers using suvh different levels of care that extra skills are required?

A natural aptitude to be able to safely stop a hundred tonnes of metal crashing through the station buffers would be an advantage.
    Are potential new drivers screened for this aptidude or are they taught it in their extensive training or does it only come upon receipt of more money?
    I'm not saying that driving a train is easy but don't try to portray it as an equivalent to brain surgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Is it the case that in many other forms of employment be it through weak union or weak staff many reasonably paid jobs of the past have become minimum wage jobs , employer greed is a topic not often spoken about ...
    Plenty of companies out there doing things in the cheap paying staff circa 400 euro a week that could easily pay a reasonable 600 a week and still make loads ...the company owners not contend been millionaires want to be billionaires ...meanwhile their employees have the toes coming out through their shoes !

^^^^ aah the poor employee versus the millionare boss argument. C'mon defendnunions with proper debate rather than childish nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

hurler32 wrote: »
    Is it the case that in many other forms of employment be it through weak union or weak staff many reasonably paid jobs of the past have become minimum wage jobs , employer greed is a topic not often spoken about ...
    Plenty of companies out there doing things in the cheap paying staff circa 400 euro a week that could easily pay a reasonable 600 a week and still make loads ...the company owners not contend been millionaires want to be billionaires ...meanwhile their employees have the toes coming out through their shoes !

Have you seen the financial health of IE?

• Advertisement

Trying to use an article from nearly 20 years ago to make a point over whats happening today DOES make one tend to dismiss it due to AGE and lack of understanding of the CURRENT circumstances atm.

I posted a listed of issues some related some not.10 minutes dart and greystones are not related and also I am not driving to Greystones.

I posted 3 current examples which you're ignoring or deliberately misconstruing and an older example to illustrate that the attitude doesn't appear to be improving over time.

Also we'll soon see how irrelevant Greystones is soon when drivers will be expected to drive to Dundalk.

Advertisement