Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday PM (10th) - Tuesday AM (13th), Snow and Ice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Snowing in Cavan again , near the Longford border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Frequent snow showers in East Cork since last night, lots of them heavy but not much settling at lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A snow shower a couple of minutes ago in Tipp:
    Snow_Come_Shannon.jpg
    Snow_come.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

I'm in Conna, East Cork - 70m ASL. Been snowing on and off since 10am - it thaws a little between showers, but another snow shower replaces the melted the snow - the kids are loving it. Around 5cm has fallen if we take into consider what has melted between showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    BBC weather showing frontal system over Ireland tomorrow night mostly falling as snow across the north, midlands and much of Leinster. It will possibly be very knife edge between rain, sleet and wet snow.

Rain to snow. Need temps to fall off a cliff as it passes...might happen on current guidance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

North Co Cork seems to be doing fairly well out of this. Any reports from there?

Woke up to decent covering of snow with some fairly heavy falls of snow on and off in the morning. From 12.30 approx temp has risen with a partial thaw and some light falls inbetween.

Current temperature 1C with clear sky. Guidance for tmrw appears to rather vague ...

130 m asl
    North Cork Limerick Tipperary border

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

gozunda wrote: »
    Woke up to decent covering of snow with some fairly heavy falls of snow on and off in the morning. From 12.30 approx temp has risen with a partial thaw and some light falls inbetween.

Current temperature 1C with clear sky. Guidance for tmrw appears to rather vague ...

130 m asl
    North Cork Limerick Tipperary border
    Heavy snow in greystones, only lasted a few minutes tops and melted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Couple of brief snow showers in Newbridge , nothing that would stick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Snowing heavily again here, North Cork/South Limerick, been coming down on and off since last night, brightened up for a while half an hour ago and it seemed a thaw was setting in but suddenly became very overcast in past few minutes and started to snow again.

Another snow shower in Dundalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

North Co Cork seems to be doing fairly well out of this. Any reports from there?

Certainly in Cork city we have had loads of snow but it doesn't stick on roads/ paths and melts very quickly everywhere else. The fact the ground is saturated is a big problem I suspect. Puddles and snow do not make happy bedfellows. Gorgeous to watch though. I was outside for a 30 min shower at 11.20am and it was the heaviest snowfall I have seen in Ireland since 2010. It was a complete whiteout for ca. 20 mins. All gone within an hour though. No lying snow per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A rough idea of where the snow showers affected over the 12 hours up to 1pm:

AMsXz7q.gif

Really shows the lack of troughing in this airflow, which seems to be the common theme from the colder westerlies this winter.

TBH, I hope we get a easterly spell soon because we really could do with a proper few dry days with low humidity here in the west.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Heavy thick snow again in cork City and strong wind. Beautiful. Melting as soon as it hits the ground though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Snow and hail here east kerry, north west cork border Quite heavy in intensity but not having any impact on the roads. Nice dusting on the grass. 150 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,136 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hail followed by Snow again in West Clare, filling up the accumulations again which had nearly disappeared. Melts quick on roads but it seems to stick alot better in grass and against walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

https://imgur.com/gallery/W3YRu

Snow shower passing through Westport.

Possibly some light to moderate snow in North Kildare in the next 45 minutes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Just had another blizzard like downpour in South Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Snow and hail here east kerry, north west cork border Quite heavy in intensity but not having any impact on the roads. Nice dusting on the grass. 150 asl

I'm liking this snow day.... sticking to grass and not on roads... hope it stays that way cos if roads freeze tonight I'm dreading the drive to work in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Snow earlier at the coast,west mayo.

https://youtu.be/tcHEtc27Lhg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Heavy snow in North Kildare, near the Meath border. Coming down about 15 minutes now. Temp is 1.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Possibly some light to moderate snow in North Kildare in the next 45 minutes...

Yeah heaviest shower of the day in North Kildare just now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

West Waterford near Tipp border, a bit higher than most and we got a good bit, probably around 5 cm accumulation altogether. There was a big thaw for a while there, but now we're having that little blizzard mentioned from Tipp. Flakes are small enough.

I'm so disappointed I wanted to spend 2 days up in Connemara for photography and I've had to cancel, I don't want snow up there :(
    I don't really want snow in my place anymore either actually.

Sorry to be a spoilsport, I do like a good "crunch" but just not in the mood this year, here's a video of me crunching snow about an hour ago, when it was melting.

https://youtu.be/P0WN513wfl4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Snow falling in Tralee right now according to my mother!

Low res GFS tomorrow for tomorrow night just to tease

gfs-2-42.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Flurry now in Celbridge. Nothing sticking of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

moderate 5 minute hail/graupel shower with snow at the end.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rougies wrote: »
    moderate 5 minute hail/graupel shower with snow at the end.

Ditti. Graupel falling here (in Dublin 16). 3.2c atm.

Edit: Light snow now falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Light snow and 2.9c in D14. DP is -2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Just noticed that met eireann have extended the yellow weather warning for snow and ice, from midnight tonight to 0600 Monday morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement