Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caoimhe pronunciation

Options
  • 09-02-2018 4:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    Due in May and picking baby names. We are currently in Canada and have a question regarding pronunciation.
    We prefer the name pronunciation Keeva vs Queeva.
    Question is;
    What is most popular? In what region?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Due to extreme bias, I'd go with Kee-va. It's mostly just the northern half of the country (or more from about Sligo upwards), but I feel Qweeva (which is how most of the rest of the country pronounce it) makes it sounds like you've got flem stuck in your throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"Queeva" is standard in English, although in Irish the standard pronunciation would be somewhere between the two.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Kweeva, I've never actually heard anyone say Keeva, seen it written in places of course but never one (south of the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Im no linguist but I think the "caoi" bit is pronounced "Qwee" as in Cen caoi a bhfuil tu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

It’s a north/south thing. Growing up in Belfast, I knew loads of Keevas. Moved to Dublin and suddenly everyone was Queeva.

I much prefer Keeva. Queeva makes me think of queef.... I’ll say no more!

Ultimately in canada nobody will have a notion anyway, so go with whichever you prefer!

Im no linguist but I think the "caoi" bit is pronounced "Qwee" as in Cen caoi a bhfuil tu

It depends on where you are, caoi is "kee" in some areas

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It depends on where you are, caoi is "kee" in some areas
    This. The Ulster pronunciation isn't quite as hard as "keeva", and the Munster/Connacht pronuncation isn't quite as soft as "kweeva". Both sounds are somewhere between those two extremes, but the Ulster pronunciation leans more towards -k-, whereas in points south it leans towards -kw-.

So, for Tommy83, the relevant consideration may be which part of Ireland he might live in in the future. North of a line drawn more or less from Drogheda to Sligo, his daughter will get called "keeva"; south of that line, more like "kweeva".

She can, of course, try and steer people towards her preferred pronunciation, but this usually has limited success. It's generally easier to go with the flow.

If he stays in Canada, all bets are off. Nobody will have the least clue how the name is pronounced. My niece Caoimhe lives in Sydney. When they see it for the first time, people tend to goggle at the name and then assume that it must rhyme with "Naomi", which is the only vaguely similar name they have ever seen. But they are more willing to accept correction than Irish people, who tend to have their own ideas about the correct pronunciation and are unwilling to abandon them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If he stays in Canada, all bets are off. Nobody will have the least clue how the name is pronounced. My niece Caoimhe lives in Sydney. When they see it for the first time, people tend to goggle at the name and then assume that it must rhyme with "Naomi", which is the only vaguely similar name they have ever seen. But they are more willing to accept correction than Irish people, who tend to have their own ideas about the correct pronunciation and are unwilling to abandon them.

+1 ^
    Check out the last 20 seconds of this...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwstj9FJHGg

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FA12345

I know a girl who is from the north of ireland where her name given is Keeva... she lives in Dublin now and keeps being told that shes pronouncing her own name incorrectly - it should be Qweeva! It's HER name!! I prefer the sound of Keeva myself but also love northern Irealnd accents :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I simply wouldn't go with that name because of that stupid word of "Queef" that exists... if you don't know what it is, google it.

Unless you pronounce it Kee-va

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's not pronounced "Quee" or Kwee or whatever in Irish. It's more like "Ku" + "eeva". I'm not sure where the "w" sound got in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In Clare, it's pronounced Queeva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

It’s a north/south thing. Growing up in Belfast, I knew loads of Keevas. Moved to Dublin and suddenly everyone was Queeva.

I much prefer Keeva. Queeva makes me think of queef.... I’ll say no more!

Ultimately in canada nobody will have a notion anyway, so go with whichever you prefer!

Ah Nordy folk and their weird be name pronunciation!

Ciaran..... Keerin
    Roisin..... Rosheeeeeen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Unless you know Irish, you won't be able to pronounce it exactly right. Queeva and Keeva are close approximations depending on where you are but they both lose the softness of the 'aoi'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Never heard it pronounced Keeva, the ones I know, well all 2, 1 from Kilkenny, pronounce it the other way with the Q

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think I've ever heard of it be anything but Queeva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Kee-va.

Tbh.. if she'll be brought up in Canada I'd spell it Keeva. Saves that silly banter of silent letters etc.

Tenigate wrote:
    Tbh.. if she'll be brought up in Canada I'd spell it Keeva. Saves that silly banter of silent letters etc.

Please don't

• Advertisement

Please don't

Think of the child... in Canada.

Isn't it difficult enough to go thru life with a name you have to re-pronounce to everybody then spell out (sometimes slowly and repeatedly) every time you talk to a company on the phone?

DunnoKidz wrote: »
    Think of the child... in Canada.

Isn't it difficult enough to go thru life with a name you have to re-pronounce to everybody then spell out (sometimes slowly and repeatedly) every time you talk to a company on the phone?
    It's the 21st century now, people can just Google it.

So nordies say Keeveen and Keelta?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Qweeva in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Yup!

Sure, next time I am on the phone with a company, I shall ask them to google my name for the proper pronunciation and spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Sure, next time I am on the phone with a company, I shall ask them to google my name for the proper pronunciation and spelling.

Dunnokidz is very easily pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

DunnoKidz wrote:

How often does it actually take to spell your name and how often does it happen?

It's not like 3 minutes every day of your life.

How often does it actually take to spell your name and how often does it happen?

It's not like 3 minutes every day of your life.

Repeatedly and more than you think. It's been enough of an annoyance (in different ways) over the years, that I wished my parents named me anything but.

Off-topic...

Dunnokidz is very easily pronounced.

:D cos it aint spelt DunnoCaoidzhe ;)

• Advertisement

If a company has your cv they can see it there and google it before you get on the phone to them. Which company do you think would be better to work for, the one that doesn't care to or know how to google a name or the one that doesnt?

Advertisement