Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caoimhe pronunciation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

DunnoKidz wrote:
    Isn't it difficult enough to go thru life with a name you have to re-pronounce to everybody then spell out (sometimes slowly and repeatedly) every time you talk to a company on the phone?

Not really, no? I've never really had a problem. It's easy enough to say and once you say it's Irish, people are usually accepting of it. I've very rarely had to repeat it more than once.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yup!

Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

tommy83 wrote: »
    Hi
    Due in May and picking baby names. We are currently in Canada and have a question regarding pronunciation.
    We prefer the name pronunciation Keeva vs Queeva.
    Question is;
    What is most popular? In what region?

Never heard it pronounced anything other than ”queeva”. I’m from Kerry.

I have a hard to pronounce Irish name and was born abroad and hated having an Irish name that no one could pronounce. Hated it! Just giving my experience! Saying that I love my name now and also really like the name Caoimhe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

We are going through the same problem here in California. I am imaginng my future kid at age five or six trying to explain to teachers or friends the spelling and pronunciation of his/her name. And, no, I do not believe “go google it” is something my child should have to say. As a result, much though I would like a good Irish name, we have concluded that even something as simple as “Aisling” may be ruled out. We are also refusing to further “Americanize” the spelling of Irish names. Much though I would like something akin to Caoimhe, the kid will be an American and will have to conform to American realities. I’m unconvinced Canada will be much better, but we’re not you. Just my two cents from a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would be thinking Queeva, never heard it any other way except from people who cant pronounce it. Keeva sounds like a car or a chicken dish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Conor1974

My daughters name is Caoimhe (queeva) and we have been on a few cruises where you have to present your sea pass card every time you get on or off the ship or at the bars/kids club and every single time without fail she was called K Oh Me.
    A lot of the English just ended up calling her Quaver which is close enough

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We are going through the same problem here in California. I am imaginng my future kid at age five or six trying to explain to teachers or friends the spelling and pronunciation of his/her name. And, no, I do not believe “go google it” is something my child should have to say. As a result, much though I would like a good Irish name, we have concluded that even something as simple as “Aisling” may be ruled out. We are also refusing to further “Americanize” the spelling of Irish names. Much though I would like something akin to Caoimhe, the kid will be an American and will have to conform to American realities. I’m unconvinced Canada will be much better, but we’re not you. Just my two cents from a similar position.

What is the american reality exactly? I certainly don't mean any disrespect here but when I was looking down through the list of victims of the recent school shooting I was struck by how unusual most of the names seemed to me, I wouldn't be able to pronounce or conversely spell the vast majority of the second names correctly without being told how, Feis, Beigel, Dworet, Anguiano, Alhadeff, Parodie, Hoyer, Schentrup, Schachter. I'm guessing quite a few are jewish by how german they sound, but regardless they are going to have to explain their names in school and work in future

Advertisement