Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

https://www.garo.ie/docs/2021/specs/gc6ev40 spce.pdf

You’ll most likely need this one if fitting in the meter box

If your mains are being upgraded then your earth rod may need to be done also along with equipotential bonding in your home.

Surge protection is also a requirement for new cables installed from February unless a risk assessment has been done.

When your rec does his work then a certificate will be issued to Esbn and then they call to connect to the meter. They charge for this (€180 approx)

The preferred method is still to connect your chargepoint to the distribution board. The meterbox should only be a last resort. If your rec installs new mains cables then the whole house has to be tested and any issues must be rectified before issuing a certificate (or else a notice of potential hazard must be issued)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

meercat wrote: »
    https://www.garo.ie/docs/2021/specs/gc6ev40 spce.pdf

You’ll most likely need this one if fitting in the meter box

If your mains are being upgraded then your earth rod may need to be done also along with equipotential bonding in your home.

Surge protection is also a requirement for new cables installed from February unless a risk assessment has been done.

When your rec does his work then a certificate will be issued to Esbn and then they call to connect to the meter. They charge for this (€180 approx)

The preferred method is still to connect your chargepoint to the distribution board. The meterbox should only be a last resort. If your rec installs new mains cables then the whole house has to be tested and any issues must be rectified before issuing a certificate (or else a notice of potential hazard must be issued)

Thanks Meercat, a bit of work either way and a lot to discuss with the rec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ozreb

Looking for help on installing a charger in the underground car park of my apartment block. Have management company approval to run the cable from my meter along the cable rack to the pillar of my space (circa 80m). Will need an untethered lockable charger to prevent others using it. Given the space is underground, connecting to home wifi isn't easy. Just wondering if anyone has come across these challenges?

What's the best charger (thinking Zappi).
    Is there any way of being able to use the app if the wifi is that far away? Does that make things v difficult?
    Will 80m cause a lot of electrical loss?
    Any other advice help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You could look at a charge point that supports an RFID card to start the charge

Another option is simply run a cat6 cable alongside the power cable so that it has internet access (ie avoid WiFi issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Could also get a Zappi and put a password on it, other chargers might have similar, I have no experience with them.
    It also uses a Harvi from Myenergi which isn't WiFi, I think it's Zigbee so hard to know if you will be covered, doubtful.
    Depending on your car you might be able kick off a charge over 4G.

• Advertisement

80 metres sounds difficult to say the least. That's going to have to be serious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

80 metres sounds difficult to say the least. That's going to have to be serious stuff.

The cable run could differ to the actual straight line from WiFi, but even in open space and not in an underground car park 80m is on the upper end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Ozreb wrote: »
    Looking for help on installing a charger in the underground car park of my apartment block. Have management company approval to run the cable from my meter along the cable rack to the pillar of my space (circa 80m). Will need an untethered lockable charger to prevent others using it. Given the space is underground, connecting to home wifi isn't easy. Just wondering if anyone has come across these challenges?

Is there any way of being able to use the app if the wifi is that far away? Does that make things v difficult?

+1 for an EVSE with RFID. ABB Terra, Wallbox Pulsar+, ABL eMH2 and Webasto live to name a few have built in readers. If your apartment block uses Mifare cards/fobs for landlord areas, you can add same or most 3rd party 4/7 byte cards to the ABB & ABL kit, I think you can with wallbox as well.

ABB & wallbox units have apps which can start a charging session and unlock the connector respectively. Both connect locally using bluetooth so web connection is not necessary.We have the metered eMH2 and I added the VW 'we charge' card and work fobs to start charging on ours.

80M from the meter cab is a long enough run so v.drop might be an issue (4-7%-ish)so the sparks would most likely up a cable size to 10sqmm to the isolator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The old man has picked up one of those Plugin Tucsons. He parks in underground carpark and the MC is supposed to be installing group chargers, so has offered me the "free" charge point from Hyundai/Energia. I'm not sure whether to take him up on the offer. I have a driveway and myself we drive Leafs, so have a type1 charger. We might change one of the Leafs for a newer EV in the next year or two, but it's not on the cards right now. We would have to pay a fee to break our contract with the electricity provider and the Energia rate would not be as good as it would be for a new/returning customer. I am thinking it's probably best to leave it, but wondering if it would be worth my while haveing the type2 charger there if someone needed it, or for when we replace one of the Leafs....hopefully a model 3/Y next year or the year after. What would you do?

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ozreb wrote: »

You can put a pin on a zappi. No need for internet and wifi. Smart chargers are over rated. I can't see anyone stealing your power in a private car park. You could always install a lockable isolator or turn off at fuseboard in house if it was a problem. If you really want smart charger options you could run a 100 metre Ethernet cable to a myenergi hub, next to zappi and it would be online via a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The old man has picked up one of those Plugin Tucsons. He parks in underground carpark and the MC is supposed to be installing group chargers, so has offered me the "free" charge point from Hyundai/Energia. I'm not sure whether to take him up on the offer. I have a driveway and myself we drive Leafs, so have a type1 charger. We might change one of the Leafs for a newer EV in the next year or two, but it's not on the cards right now. We would have to pay a fee to break our contract with the electricity provider and the Energia rate would not be as good as it would be for a new/returning customer. I am thinking it's probably best to leave it, but wondering if it would be worth my while haveing the type2 charger there if someone needed it, or for when we replace one of the Leafs....hopefully a model 3/Y next year or the year after. What would you do?

Be careful. You have to send in copies if the log book etc so your dad would need to do a change of address before sending anything in and he would have to use your address as the contact point.

You then have to send photos of the charger and the car into them after the work is done.

Not a big deal but just make sure it’s done to get the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Gumbo wrote: »
    Be careful. You have to send in copies if the log book etc so your dad would need to do a change of address before sending anything in and he would have to use your address as the contact point.

You then have to send photos of the charger and the car into them after the work is done.

Not a big deal but just make sure it’s done to get the grant.

Sounds like more hassle than it's worth. The Hyundai person said the CP can be installed at any address, but the person needed to switch to Energia. Looking on Energia, it's an install worth about €1300, but you don't get the same rates you would get as a new customer....20% off as opposed to over 30% and then there's the cancellation fee with current provider having left Energia a couple of months ago.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 6 apubwithnobeer

Home insurance and wall chargers

Hi. I am
    Renewing my insurance. I am struggling to find an insurer who will cover the wall charger. Is there any insurer who will cover wall chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Sam W

Hi. I am
    Renewing my insurance. I am struggling to find an insurer who will cover the wall charger. Is there any insurer who will cover wall chargers?

EVinsurance.ie covers EV ‘sundries’. When I got a quote they specifically told me they insure cables but I’m not 100% sure about the charger unit itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hi. I am

I assume it's covered under house insurance for damage from flooding or fire

Other than accidental damage like your wife catching the charging cable under her car and ripping the charger off the wall (yep, that happened, and I'm still bitter about it :rolleyes:) there's not much else

Someone might come and nick the cable but you can generally lock it into the car end so that'll minimise the risk there at least

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I assume it's covered under house insurance for damage from flooding or fire

Other than accidental damage like your wife catching the charging cable under her car and ripping the charger off the wall (yep, that happened, and I'm still bitter about it :rolleyes:) there's not much else

Someone might come and nick the cable but you can generally lock it into the car end so that'll minimise the risk there at least

It's not something I'd thought about but I'd tend to agree with you , my assumption would be that as it's effectively part of the house given that it's wired in to the mains etc. that the House insurance would cover it.

Depending on the policy you might need to add it as a "specific declared item" like an expensive TV or jewellery etc. though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GymComerford

Any body got 2 zapppis installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hi. I am

Its typically wired and bolted to the house. I'd expect insurance to cover it without any special conditions or declarations, but maybe I'm naive on that.

Also, if it did get robbed, would you claim off your house insurance for it? They would, no doubt, apply an excess (usually €250+) which would take most of the claim amount off you and you'd be red marking yourself with the insurance company as a future theft risk.... I dont think I'd claim for it. I'd try to secure my property better and take it as a lesson learned.

KCross wrote: »
    Its typically wired and bolted to the house. I'd expect insurance to cover it without any special conditions or declarations, but maybe I'm naive on that.

Also, if it did get robbed, would you claim off your house insurance for it? They would, no doubt, apply an excess (usually €250+) which would take most of the claim amount off you and you'd be red marking yourself with the insurance company as a future theft risk.... I dont think I'd claim for it. I'd try to secure my property better and take it as a lesson learned.

You'd have to wonder at the logic of someone who spends 30 mins unscrewing a €600 charger from the wall when there's a €40k car sitting beside it :)

Having said that, there were groups of industrious young gentlemen spending 10 mins or more cutting the catalytic converters off cars in broad daylight last year, so getting caught isn't much of a concern apparently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

You'd have to wonder at the logic of someone who spends 30 mins unscrewing a €600 charger from the wall when there's a €40k car sitting beside it :)

If they even got €20 for it, that'd be a handy €40 an hour for their time.
    I bet some industrious young gentlemen could remove a Zappi in less than 30minutes too :p.

Sure haven't we even installed bright red isolator switches for them, lest they get a shock! Next we'll mandate quick release levers, health & safety of course :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »
    If they even got €20 for it, that'd be a handy €40 an hour for their time.
    I bet some industrious young gentlemen could remove a Zappi in less than 30minutes too :p.

Sure haven't we even installed bright red isolator switches for them, lest they get a shock! Next we'll mandate quick release levers, health & safety of course :rolleyes:.

Apparently if you pull hard on the cable at a right angle to the charger it comes right off the wall, as my wife found out (yep, I'm still going on about that :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

My parents in law are buying my leaf off me, and will need a charger installed. They plan to apply for the grant, but I said I'd look into the best charger option for them. I have a V1 zappi, which has been excellent for me, but their house doesn't really have much space at the front to mount one that size. Is there a tidy tetherless option people would recommend? I've read through some of this thread, and saw mention of the EO mini which looks good from a size perspective. Any good alternatives? Or if the EO Mini is a good option, any good suppliers in Dublin? (google isn't coming back with much here). They have an electrician lined up (just need to double check he has the correct accreditation).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

Ive just put a deposit down on an ID 4 Life 77Kw- and i have just recieved the confirmation that i have been approved for the EV charge point grant.

I have a one off hose in the country and Im now looking at home charge points - Has anyone got the VW Elli charger? What do people reckon are the best value tethered chargers? And what batter power should i go for?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,731 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks when submitting the grant form it asks for a pic of the charge point and a pic of the car, it doesnt actually say a pic of the car connected to the charge point, can anyone confirm whats required here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

unless you have a farm etc. The most power you’ll ever is 7.2kW. 11kW chargers need a 3 phase supply

have you a electric shower or anything else that uses a lot of power? If so you’ll need a charger that does load management.

I’m looking at the EO mini pro 2 myself.

https://shop.electricireland.ie/products/install-detail/electric-vehicle-home-charger?gclid=CjwKCAjwruSHBhAtEiwA_qCpphsYX9Usacp_a-D_UH-9-qJpy-x1xn2uxL_MHfgFcA9UugoDx1CmOhoCWf0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The zappi is another one that has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

A picture of each separately is fine. That's what I sent in and I received the grant in due course, as per the schedule quoted (~8 weeks).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I got my payment a little quicker recently - submitted on 1st of June and received the payment on the 8th of July , so about 5 weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Sam W

You need 2 separate pictures, as suggested on the form. You don’t need to submit a picture of the car connected to the charger. That’s not part of the requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Hi All,

I am debating a free charger (with Kia) offer from energia, the charger is EVbox Elvi.

I was believing it made sense when I run all the numbers compared to current plan. One catch is that they told me I will need a priority switch installed at a cost of 275 euro.

The questions I have are:

1 - Is 275 crazy money to install a priority switch?

2 - If I went with a Zappi, I wouldnt actually need this?

Jumpa

Advertisement